Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Harvard pre-game

Posted by lynah80 
Harvard pre-game
Posted by: lynah80 (128.91.33.---)
Date: March 01, 2008 01:30AM

It's fitting that the regular season should end with a home game against Harvard. A win will give Cornell either a third or fourth place finish for the regular season.

Harvard is known for its talented freshman class that played extremely well at the beginning of the season. However, the team went on a 9-game winless streak during December and January. To some extent, the disappointing outcomes can be attributed to their difficult schedule, since they played BC, St. Cloud, Princeton, Clarkson, and Quinnipiac during that time.

Harvard has a number of similarities to Cornell. Their strengths are defense (H=2.32 vs C=2.11 goals/game) and goal tending (H=.922 vs C=.930 save%). Their team is of average size (H=193 vs C=189 lbs without goalies). Cornell has a better power play (H=18.2 vs C=20.7%) but a slightly worse penalty kill (H=86.5 vs C=85.4%).

Harvard has two primary scoring lines that typically include: M_Biega (9-6-15) Dufault (6-6-12) & Pelle (9-11-20) and McCollem (4-6-10) Rogers (11-14-25) & Taylor (8-15-23). Ted Donato likes to shuffle these lines somewhat, but the Taylor line will likely be unchanged against Cornell. Since Mike will have the last line change on face offs, the Taylor line (avg wt 193) will hopefully see a lot of Scali, Fontas and Nicholls (avg wt 196). I don't think Harvard plays as physical a game as Cornell normally does and they may be a little sore after getting roughed up by Colgate last night. With regard to physical play, Harvard has spent less time in the box than Cornell (12.4 vs. 14.7 PIM/game). Staying cool will be essential for the Big Red tonight. I'm sure everyone remembers the 2006 game at Lynah where there were four 10-minute misconducts. Also, a 5-minute major in the third period against Cam Abbott led to a pair of Harvard goals that cost the Big Red the game.

The summaries of last nights Harvard-Colgate game suggest that it was played fairly evenly. I watched the end of the game and neither team was dominant.

In all, Harvard and Cornell are fairly evenly matched. Fortunately, the Big Red will have the advantage of playing in Lynah, which will be especially significant against a young Harvard team.

Cornell 4, Harvard 2
Edited 16 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2008 02:58AM by lynah80.

Re: Harvard pre-game
Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 01, 2008 03:47AM

Extremely evenly matched. "Staying cool," as mentioned above, is paramount: if things go according to form, we should have one more power play opportunity than Harvard on the night. (I'm thinking Nicholls is out tomorrow, since Mugford was able to keep himself out of the box tonight and the checking line is best with him.) Hopefully, that power-play chance comes in the first and we score the go-ahead goal.

Harvard seemingly has a weak checking line and defender [www.collegehockeynews.com] that, perhaps, can be exploited with the last change. I'm guessing it'll be the Nash line (large, speedy, good defenders) vs. Biega/Dufault/Pelle (small, speedy, not-so-good defenders). I wonder if Barlow (after his night off) will be back with Nash and Greening to add a little more speed and offense; that is the true scoring line this season, and it's almost as if Schafer has been keeping it under wraps, even though that might just have been serendipitous. I would guess that P. Kennedy goes back to the third line with Gallagher and Devin. I agree that the Fontas line will probably get McCollem/Rogers/Taylor. Our second and third lines need to eat their third and checking lines for lunch; woe to their checking line should the rejuvenated Sawada and crafty Kennedy get a lot of time against them.

If the game is mostly played 5 on 5, I think we win; otherwise, it's a crapshoot. It's gonna be a close one. (Or maybe, like that supposedly close Colgate playoff series back in '96, it'll be a huge blowout in our favor. Right.)

PS Crimson Killer: Topher Scott with a goal (power play) and two assists, one on the power play (Greening) and one to M. Kennedy (even).

PPS Bonus wild prediction: Fontas scores the first shortie of the season at around five minutes into the third, opening up a two-goal lead.

Posted by: lynah80 (---.phlapa.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 01, 2008 05:11AM

I agree that Barlow adds a significant spark to the first line. However, I don't think that Mike completely trusts him when it comes to playing defense. He has sat out on a few occasions this year when he was listed as healthy. Part of the problem is simply his size. Given that Harvard is not a big offensive team, my guess is that he will start.

I think Mike will stack the checking line (Mugford, Fontas, Scali) if Donato stacks his first line.

Harvard has allowed two short-handed goals this year. Let's hope for #3.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2008 05:21AM by lynah80.

Posted by: sah67 (---.65.171.66.subscriber.vzavenue.net)
Date: March 01, 2008 09:47AM

Scersk '97

PPS Bonus wild prediction: Fontas scores the first shortie of the season at around five minutes into the third, opening up a two-goal lead.

I'll make the same shortie prediction, but my money's on Scali ;)

Speaking of that though, when was the last time Cornell went an entire regular season without scoring a shortie?

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: March 01, 2008 10:25AM

sah67
Scersk '97

Speaking of that though, when was the last time Cornell went an entire regular season without scoring a shortie?

From 3/23/02 to 10/29/04, a span of 69 games that included the entire 2002-03 season and the entire 2003-04 season, Cornell scored no shorthanded goals.

Yes, that includes the Frozen Four season. Kinda remarkable, huh?

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: ebilmes (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 01, 2008 11:13AM

Beeeej
From 3/23/02 to 10/29/04, a span of 69 games that included the entire 2002-03 season and the entire 2003-04 season, Cornell scored no shorthanded goals.

This is why we were all so surprised when Iggulden scored 3 shorties during the 04-05 season. When it rains, it pours.

I thought for sure that Kennedy would score on the shorthanded breakaway last night.

Still, it was a great game. I'm just a little nervous that we'll have a let-down tonight.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: March 01, 2008 12:08PM

sah67
Scersk '97

It happened a lot when I was in school. At least it felt that way...

Posted by: Robb (---.gradacc.ox.ac.uk)
Date: March 01, 2008 01:16PM

Chris '03
sah67
Scersk '97

It happened a lot when I was in school. At least it felt that way...
Heck,when I was in school, not scoring at all happened a lot - we wouldn't have known what to do with a shorty! Yes, I'm still bummed that out of the 40 years of Cornell hockey, I was there for Aug 90- Dec 95. Utter disappointment in 91, followed by 4 years of horror. In a cruel twist of fate, I even lived close enough to Clarkson to witness the beatings in March of '95. Ouch.

Posted by: lynah80 (---.uphs.upenn.edu)
Date: March 01, 2008 01:26PM

Senior captain Jesse Winchester (8-26-34, +16) did not skate for Colgate last night against Harvard. It seems they did pretty well in spite of that.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2008 01:27PM by lynah80.

Date: March 01, 2008 01:29PM

lynah80
I agree that Barlow adds a significant spark to the first line. However, I don't think that Mike completely trusts him when it comes to playing defense. He has sat out on a few occasions this year when he was listed as healthy. Part of the problem is simply his size. Given that Harvard is not a big offensive team, my guess is that he will start.

You know, it seems to be common knowledge that "Barlow as defensive liability" is why he gets sat, but it's difficult to show that statistically:

* He's got the second best +/- on the team:
[www.collegehockeynews.com]

* He's been seeing time on the penalty kill over the last few games that he's been in:
[www.collegehockeystats.net]
[www.collegehockeystats.net]

(Though, of course, we're showing that he's on the penalty kill in these boxes when we get scored on, but them's the breaks.)

I'm starting to wonder, instead, if Barlow has some sort of nagging injury that we don't know about. Or maybe Schafer just likes him mad.

Posted by: amerks127 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 01, 2008 01:34PM

Considering Cornell didn't score more than 2 goals in league games (not counting EN goals i.e. Colgate) against Clarkson, Princeton, Union, Harvard, Colgate, Yale...and considering that 4 of the 5 teams we have done it against are in the last 4 spots in the standings, I would not bet the house on Cornell scoring more than 2 goals tonight. Yeah, we've put up 13 in the last two home games, but RPI and Dartmouth have just awful awful defense.

Don't expect the same from Harvard. Expect this to be a very tight game, much like it was at Lynah East earlier this year. I'm predicting a one-goal, 2-1 game, again. Both teams know exactly what is at stake: Onion will not lose to Brown. That makes it all the more important that Cornell not tie tonight, because a tie and an Onion victory puts us at 5th spot. Harvard also knows with a win they jump to 3rd.

Thus, expect the teams to play tight tonight and wait out their chances. It's going to be playoff atmosphere tonight in Lynah, and why shouldn't it be otherwise.

I like our edge tonight, and I think we'll take down Harvard. It's all gonna be up to Scrivens. This is a big game for him.

Cornell 2, Harvard 1

Date: March 01, 2008 01:38PM

Scersk '97
I'm starting to wonder, instead, if Barlow has some sort of nagging injury that we don't know about. Or maybe Schafer just likes him mad.

It's hard to know for sure what is going on with Barlow. Comments made in spoken interviews by Schafer and Cornell players suggest that he is not doing his part defensively.

However, Schafer has also said that Barlow has the potential to be one of the best forwards in the league.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2008 02:47PM by lynah80.

Posted by: redhair34 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 01, 2008 01:44PM

lynah80
Scersk '97
Cornell players suggest that he is not "doing his part" defensively.

What?

Date: March 01, 2008 01:45PM

Robb
In a cruel twist of fate, I even lived close enough to Clarkson to witness the beatings in March of '95. Ouch.

"OK, you, you, you, and you--into the box!"

and then:

"Not so fast, Wilson. Back in the box!"

Period 2
========
Scoring
-------
1533 Clk Tuomainen (Mueller, Robitaille) ppg gwg
1659 Clk Morin (Mueller, Tuomainen) ppg
1804 Clk Robitaille (Mueller, Lipsett) ppg

Penalties
---------
 136 Clk Tuomainen (slashing)
 513 Clk White (tripping)
1235 Cor Dailey (holding)
1442 Cor Kendall (cross-checking)
1442 Cor Kendall (roughing)
1508 Cor Felli (slashing)
1508 Cor Cooney (misconduct) (10)
1533 Cor S. Wilson (cross-checking)
1856 Cor S. Wilson (cross-checking)
2000 Clk Clark (roughing)

Posted by: ursusminor (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 01, 2008 01:46PM

amerks127
I would not bet the house on Cornell scoring more than 2 goals tonight. Yeah, we've put up 13 in the last two home games, but RPI and Dartmouth have just awful awful defense.
RPI's defense didn't do badly against Brown on Friday, and Brown ... ... ... I guess that you're right, RPI has an awful awful defense. whistle

Seriously, RPI's defense has had its ups and downs all year. You got us on a definite down night. I guess that is what one should expect from a defense that consists of only freshmen and sophomores. With everyone back next season and the addition of redshirt Matt Zarbo and Mike Bergin who is rated very highly by Chris Heisenberg, they should be improved. Allen York in goal should also help.

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 01, 2008 02:21PM

Beeeej
sah67
Scersk '97

IIRC, 3/23/02 was the second game of the playoff series against Yale?

Edit: Hmm, no, it was the NCAA game against Q; is there a list of SHGs we had, I seem to recall one against Yale in that series.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2008 02:22PM by French Rage.

Posted by: Robb (---.gradacc.ox.ac.uk)
Date: March 01, 2008 02:25PM

Scersk '97
<carnage>

Ouch. Didya hafta?

Date: March 01, 2008 02:46PM

Check the comments that were made to Jason during the second intermission of the RPI game on Feb 16. Also, note the line changes that were made after the Union loss on Feb 15.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 01, 2008 03:30PM

lynah80
Check the comments that were made to Jason during the second intermission of the RPI game on Feb 16. Also, note the line changes that were made after the Union loss on Feb 15.

Instead of this, why don't you post the comments. Don't expect others to look up the data to prove your point.

Date: March 01, 2008 03:39PM

Jim Hyla
lynah80

Instead of this, why don't you post the comments. Don't expect others to look up the data to prove your point.

Yes, and please psyte your psources.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: redhair34 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 01, 2008 03:51PM

Jim Hyla
lynah80

Instead of this, why don't you post the comments.

Because he's full of shit.

[elf.elynah.com]

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: March 01, 2008 03:57PM

Scersk '97
Robb
In a cruel twist of fate, I even lived close enough to Clarkson to witness the beatings in March of '95. Ouch.

"OK, you, you, you, and you--into the box!"

and then:

"Not so fast, Wilson. Back in the box!"

Period 2
========
Scoring
-------
1533 Clk Tuomainen (Mueller, Robitaille) ppg gwg
1659 Clk Morin (Mueller, Tuomainen) ppg
1804 Clk Robitaille (Mueller, Lipsett) ppg

Penalties
---------
 136 Clk Tuomainen (slashing)
 513 Clk White (tripping)
1235 Cor Dailey (holding)
1442 Cor Kendall (cross-checking)
1442 Cor Kendall (roughing)
1508 Cor Felli (slashing)
1508 Cor Cooney (misconduct) (10)
1533 Cor S. Wilson (cross-checking)
1856 Cor S. Wilson (cross-checking)
2000 Clk Clark (roughing)

Harry "The Arm", by any chance?

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: March 01, 2008 04:21PM

Your reasoning is quite confused. There are two sources of information regarding Barlow that are being convoluted. The stated reason for Barlow's scratch from Schafer and the statements made by Patrick Kennedy in the RPI interview. Listen to the interview and decide for yourself what Kennedy said.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2008 04:22PM by lynah80.

Date: March 01, 2008 04:29PM

Tell me Beeeej, what do the 3 initials after your name stand for?

Date: March 01, 2008 04:33PM

lynah80
Tell me Beeeej, what do the 3 initials after your name stand for?

Esquire. And it's not three initials, it's an abbreviation. Any particular reason you wanted to know?

- Steve Worona

Is this game on TV?
Posted by: Oat (---.c3-0.avec-ubr11.nyr-avec.ny.cable.rcn.com)
Date: March 01, 2008 04:35PM

Is this game going to be on TV? maybe online?

Date: March 01, 2008 04:44PM

That's what I thought. Thank you.

Date: March 01, 2008 05:49PM

jtwcornell91
Harry "The Arm", by any chance?

Ding-ding-ding:
Officials: Harry Ammian (R), Rob Hearn (R), Larry Legault (L)

Posted by: Chris 02 (---.icsincorporated.com)
Date: March 01, 2008 06:13PM

Early afternoon games:

RPI 0 Yale 0 end 1st
Dartmouth 5 Colgate 2 Final
Princeton 1 SLU 0 mid-1st
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2008 06:14PM by Chris 02.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 01, 2008 06:35PM

RedCast video for hockey is UP. I'm stunned.

Posted by: jaybert (---.dllstx.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 01, 2008 06:39PM

anyone get basketball up on redcast? I get hockey but BB isnt working for me

Anybody else lose the hockey connection?
Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 01, 2008 06:42PM

I'm getting a message"Media changing..." on a dark screen in WMP.

Date: March 01, 2008 06:42PM

Now I can't get either bb or hockey.

Posted by: msphi81 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 01, 2008 06:44PM

I'm dead as well

Posted by: mnagowski (---.bflony.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 01, 2008 06:45PM

Nada here.

Re: Anybody else lose the hockey connection?
Date: March 01, 2008 06:47PM

This is the Redcast we've all come to know and...um...love?bang

Edit: Whaddya bet ICS blames this on Cornell's "poor server?"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2008 06:48PM by Al DeFlorio.

Date: March 01, 2008 06:48PM

hockey back up. still no bb

Re: Anybody else lose the hockey connection?
Date: March 01, 2008 06:50PM

No hockey here. "Cannot connect to server."

and hockey is down again :P i made it past the ted donato interview, then it froze on me

Not for me, it isn't
Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)

"The server might not be available..." Redcast contacted but I'm not optimistic.

Date: March 01, 2008 06:51PM

Hockey, at last.

Re: Anybody else lose the hockey connection? hoops too
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 01, 2008 06:51PM

No better next door with basketball. Not like this is an important weekend for Big Red sports. Only yestreday I was thinking how muchg better the feed was than a year go, excepting no replays and no second camera.

Date: March 01, 2008 06:56PM

Fish flying.

Posted by: Chris 02 (---.icsincorporated.com)
Date: March 01, 2008 06:57PM

Harvard's feed is available for free at:

[www.whrb.org]

Date: March 01, 2008 07:01PM

got both feeds up...yay

Re: Harvard pre-game thread only
Date: March 01, 2008 07:03PM

This is a pre-game thread only. I won't continue this as the game thread.

Date: March 01, 2008 11:31PM

lynah80
That's what I thought. Thank you.

My pleasure. Anytime I can help you by providing information that's available to you in thousands of other places because you don't feel like looking for it yourself, just let me know.

- Steve Worona

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login