Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell 3 at Quinnipiac 2 (OT), post game

Posted by lynah80 
Cornell 3 at Quinnipiac 2 (OT), post game
Posted by: lynah80 (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 22, 2008 09:31PM

A very exciting game. Cornell played with a lot of intensity and despite a lot of penalties, pulled off a huge win in OT. Some of their best penalty kills of the season. Great opportunistic goal scoring and great defense.

With the win, Cornell moves into 3rd place in the conference with 23 points. Harvard and Quinnipiac are tied for 4th with 22 points.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2008 09:32PM by lynah80.

Re: Cornell 3 at Quinnipiac 2 (OT), post game
Posted by: upperdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 22, 2008 09:33PM

do we root for union and a slim chance for the reg title or clarkson to help get us closer to top 4?

Date: February 22, 2008 09:36PM

The game is still tied in OT, 3-3

Looks like Yale had a bit of a melt down. 6-1?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2008 09:38PM by lynah80.

Posted by: grizzdan24 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 22, 2008 09:37PM

upperdeck
do we root for union and a slim chance for the reg title or clarkson to help get us closer to top 4?

I think rooting for Union is the way to go. It's like protecting a 1 goal lead in the 3rd period bang

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 22, 2008 09:38PM

upperdeck
I'm putting what little energy I have left behind Clarkson to buy Cornell some more space in the top four.

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 22, 2008 09:38PM

Sounds like a great win.

Anyone know why Johnston and Roeszler stayed in Ithaca?

Date: February 22, 2008 09:40PM

Roeszler was listed as questionable on the CHN injury report. I don't know anything about Johnston.

Date: February 22, 2008 09:44PM

Cornell clinches their ninth consecutive winning ECAC RS, and 11th of Schafer's 13 seasons.

Posted by: grizzdan24 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)

Union with a 2-0 breakaway at the end of the game, but Leggio makes the save. 3-3 Final

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)

Union ties Clarkson 3-3 final. They had a breakaway with less than 5 seconds but no score.

Date: February 22, 2008 09:46PM

Scuffle at the end -- unkind works from the Clarkson team re: Coyle.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 22, 2008 09:49PM

Trotsky
Clk also had a penalty for charging the goalie with 25 sec to go. Dumb. I guess I shouldn't root for Clk, I haven't had a good outcome for a while.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2008 09:51PM by Jim Hyla.

Re: Cornell 3 at Quinnipiac 2 (OT), post game, Clarkson and Union tie
Date: February 22, 2008 09:52PM

Clarkson and Union tied 3-3 tonight. Clarkson was up 3-1, but gave up two goals in the second period. Adam Bellows and Dan Reed (defensemen) were not on the ice for Clarkson.

Date: February 22, 2008 09:54PM

lynah80
Clarkson and Union tied 3-3 tonight. Clarkson was up 3-1, but gave up two goals in the second period. Adam Bellows and Dan Reed (defensemen) were not on the ice for Clarkson.
They're wheezing their way towards the finish line.

Since beating Cornell:

T Col (ot)
W Brn (ot)
L Yal
T Uni (ot)

And they finish the season against Princeton and Q. The Tigers might wind up #1.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2008 09:56PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: nr53 (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 22, 2008 10:02PM

The last game of hockey I've seen online was the funk of a 2nd and 3rd periods Cornell put up against Union. I refused to watch RPI and well look how that turned out. Today I even watched basketball... BASKETBALL! in order to keep myself from listening to hockey. Then I saw that Cornell was up 2-1 and that QU had pulled their goalie and thought "A little quick listen can't hurt can it?" *Click* Announcer: "and he's stripped of the puck, score Quinnipiac". I hereby ban myself from all future internet broadcasts of Cornell hockey. May god have mercy on my soul.

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: February 22, 2008 10:13PM

I fear 2-0 leads.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: daredevilcu (---.dsl1.nor.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 22, 2008 10:21PM

Trotsky
lynah80

Since beating Cornell:

T Col (ot)
W Brn (ot)
L Yal
T Uni (ot)

And they finish the season against Princeton and Q. The Tigers might wind up #1.

RPI plays Clarkson well, and beat SLU tonight. Something might be turning around (slightly) for the Engineers. I certainly don't feel confident about tomorrow night and my Knights. Definitely a chance that Princeton will head to Cheel holding first place by a point. Please, Cornell, don't let that happen! Go Red, at least for tomorrow night!

Posted by: WillR (---.netvigator.com)
Date: February 22, 2008 11:27PM

I believe Barry Melrose and others have referred to the 2 goal lead as the worst lead in hockey

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 22, 2008 11:32PM

lynah80
Roeszler was listed as questionable on the CHN injury report. I don't know anything about Johnston.

Thank you...

Re: Cornell 3 at Quinnipiac 2 (OT) - notes from the rink
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 23, 2008 01:52AM

Awesome game. Not quite in league with say the Cornell lax win over Albany last year (or Duke lax loss) but only because this was not a one-and-done playoff with national implications. All at stake was third vs. fourth place in the ECAC in an off year for the league. Less riding on this one. Still, to win with 19 seconds left is a heck of a morale boost after you gave up (um, blew) a 2-0 lead and almost lost the game early in the OT.

For those who didn't go because of the alleged sellout and/or weather: About 1,000 empty seats remained throughout the game. The box score read “A-3387” and that by incredible coincidence is also the number of seats in the place. With the roads in the metro NY area nearly empty (wet but not icy and the snow had been cleared) it was the quickest rather than slowest we ever got from NJ to New Haven/Hamden (110 miles in 120 minutes). Lynah Faithful will not like the Q rink because it's spacious, with comfortable seats, great lighting, and a huge concourse around the top for another thousand standees - heaven forbid a rink should have those attributes. It really is a nice $52 million addition to the ECAC (half that for an adjoining basketball court).

Q came out checking everything in sight but with no repercussions until Cornell got the first goal following a Q penalty (for boarding). One PP shot by Mike Devin from the point, Ray Sawada tip-in, boom, one-zip, Cornell. Crime does not pay. Was it just me imagining that when Cornell initiated legal body checks near the boards, Q players seemed to turn away in hopes of turning a legal check into a boarding call (but possibly risking injury in doing that)? Only Joe Devin got called for it, and from my angle it looked as if Devin took an extra stride before delivering the check, meaning he could have (should have) angled off. But no matter, since Q wound up 0x5 on PP, got off only four shots (Cornell was 1x3, scoring on its first shot), and Cornell continued solid on PK as the game went along (so long as you don’t count the Q EAG as a PK situation).

As the game wore on into the third period, Cornell seemed to grow stronger and it was the one period where Cornell held the advantage in shots. With about 6:00 left, Devin up close hit a post and then the puck squirted behind Fisher before exiting the crease. With 5:00 left, Cornell had an awesome PK highlighted by a Brandon Nash shot that knocked the stick out of goalie Bud Fisher’s hands.

Another reason the game was so exciting (as in pucker factor exciting): The puck kept popping up in the slot in front of Ben Scrivens (33 saves vs. 24 for Q). Cornell's defense seemed to have these scary lapses not once or twice a game but once every two or three shifts. And the tying goal with 1:13 left (Q pulled Bud Fisher with 1:51 left when a faceoff was called in the Cornell end) was another lapse: Cornell (Krueger? Cornell's only minus-2 for the night) seemed to have control of the puck near the faceoff dot, appeared (from my angle) to have a relatively open path to push the puck out of the zone for a breather ... and Cornell turned over the bleeping puck. Q grabbed the puck and the puck seemed to hit Scrivens’ glove hand before trickling in. We had seen Cornell survive these gaffes all game long, but not this time. The Quinnipiac faithful-to-a-point went nuts, at least those who hadn't packed their suitcases early Friday and made a long road trip weekend thanks to the declared snow day. One nice thing about being a Fighting Deer Tick fan: If you do make the game but you're not sure when to cheer (the red light behind Scrivens is a tip-off), the jumbotron scoreboard and audio system provide cues Hellen Keller wouldn't miss.

The FDT faithful celebrated 45 seconds into OT when a shot beat Scrivens high, glove side. Must have been a couple hundred fans who rose in unison to celebrate. Pause, stop in action, but no celebration on the ice. Then Scrivens unclenched his glove hand and there was the puck. He had it all the time. Amazing save and an amazing piece of theater. The arena announcer declared each final minute of play the Dunkin Donuts Final Minute. I’d say Scrivens’ grab was the Depends™ Defining Moment of the Game.

But not as amazing as the ending. The OT seemed pretty even, decent chances on both sides, and the couple hundred Cornellians who made the trip (plus a huge pep band contingent – awesome, thank you!) were pretty much resigned to a 2-2 tie being an okay outcome on the road vs. Q when the Scott-MKennedy-Gallagher line hopped on in the final minute. Brandon Nash got it going. He wound up in the right corner, dug the puck out, passed to Blake Gallagher (I believe it was), who put a shot on net that Fisher kicked out (lot of uncontrolled rebounds at both ends), which Michael Kennedy rammed home, setting off a massive Cornell celebratory pile-up with legs, skates, and gloves every which way over in the corner. A picture of the pile-on was probably posted immediately on the home page of ManBoyLoveAssn.org. Q had to wait a couple minutes for Cornell to untangle limbs and form the handshake line.

Bottom line: Either team could have won. Quinnipiac had the edge in shots and checks. Q clanged one off the post – loudly – early in the game. Devin had the same late in the game. Q seemed to not only hit harder but skate quicker at crucial moments.

The stars of the game were officially 1. Michael Kennedy (assist on the first goal, plus the GWG), 2. Q’s David Marshall (1G, 1A), and 3. Patrick Kennedy (second goal). Scrivens didn’t play badly at all except maybe he could have gloved the tying-goal shot. Riley Nash continues to be a treat to watch and he had some moves and shots on goal that were sensational. I was also impressed by Topher’s heads-up play and his not being intimidated by the bruising Q game style. Sawada seemed well suited to the physical play, didn’t draw a penalty, and got the first goal.

I couldn’t think of a better team-building way to head to Princeton than how Cornell was outshot but outscored Q for the first 58 minutes, then came back to win just as everyone was putting on their coats and preparing to leave. There are few things sweeter in life than a last-moment victory that lets you, not the hosts, march out smiling.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2008 02:25AM by billhoward.

Posted by: Townie (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 23, 2008 06:09AM

Q being 0-fer on the power play is a good accomplishment for the team, and was cited by Scott Garrow as a point of focus for the game.

Surrendering a 2-0 lead....some bad habits die hard.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 23, 2008 07:49AM

daredevilcu
Trotsky
lynah80

Since beating Cornell:

T Col (ot)
W Brn (ot)
L Yal
T Uni (ot)

RPI plays Clarkson well, and beat SLU tonight. Something might be turning around (slightly) for the Engineers. I certainly don't feel confident about tomorrow night and my Knights. Definitely a chance that Princeton will head to Cheel holding first place by a point. Please, Cornell, don't let that happen! Go Red, at least for tomorrow night!

The only thing I saw turning last night was a few of the defensemen for RIP turning in the wrong direction after making blind passes or idiotic stabs at the puck with no idea where it would be once it left their sticks.

It was a fun game to watch, but it was also painfully apparent that the two teams on the ice deserved to be where they are in the standings.

I, however, am also hopeful that the Engineers can beat the crap out of the Golden Mustard Bottles. (Also hoping Clarkson brings their ugliest jerseys to the rink tonight.)

It is Senior Night for RIP and maybe they will be able play above their heads and look respectable. Maybe Clarkson will look like a bunch of Crayon boxes.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2008 07:50AM by marty.

Date: February 23, 2008 09:37AM

The Crayola jerseys got auctioned off last year. The only place you should see them is in the stands.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: February 23, 2008 10:22AM

Great recap, Bill, thanks! Definitely among your best posts.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: sah67 (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 23, 2008 11:07AM

billhoward

Were there enough Q fans to let their bush league-ness shine through? The only thing I caught on the webcast was the every-classy "asshole" chant after we took our first penalty.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 23, 2008 11:26AM

Beeeej
Yeah, but not a word about clams.dribble

Posted by: Dpperk29 (128.153.210.---)
Date: February 23, 2008 12:40PM

Jim Hyla
Trotsky
Clk also had a penalty for charging the goalie with 25 sec to go. Dumb. I guess I shouldn't root for Clk, I haven't had a good outcome for a while.

I don't think it was as stupid as you make it out to be Jim. Looked to me like Beca lifted his hand, arm, and stick all above Milan's head, and even leaned his hip in the other direction trying to miss him. just one of those collisions that happens when you go hard to the net.

Date: February 23, 2008 12:44PM

Really good recap, Bill.

Date: February 23, 2008 01:01PM

The charging the goalie penalty on Beca was pretty cheesy at the end of OT. He definitely made an effort to miss Milan, I suppose he probably could've done a little more, but definitely not much due to the Union player right on top of him preventing him from moving completely away from the goaltender. Marginal call at best, and as discussed on the roundtable, Coyle was charging Leggio all night and never got called for it.

Date: February 23, 2008 02:15PM

sah67
billhoward

Were there enough Q fans to let their bush league-ness shine through? The only thing I caught on the webcast was the every-classy "asshole" chant after we took our first penalty.

It took Borat a while to learn the social graces of gentle society and perhaps the fans at Q are similarly building their appreciation of hockey. My takeaway wasn't of the fans being classy or bush since we led most of the game and they didn't have a lot to cheer about except all the body blows the Fighting Deer Ticks delivered. More I was impressed by - wrong word, I mean took cognizance of - how Quinnipiac has fashioned a miniature pro arena with spotlights dancing around during introductions, a very nice (and 100% empty) FTD Booster section, manufactured sound and light shows, and roller shade banners that said "Go Bobcats" and I believe I saw in smaller letters, "This end up. Hold other side toward players."

Bush is in the eyes of the beholders. We call fish tossing "spirited." The Cantabs may have other words (and have forgotten that they started the whole thing by tying a chicken to the Cornell net in Boston some years back).

Date: February 23, 2008 03:11PM

Al DeFlorio
Beeeej
Inside joke, here. Al and I and friends and family usually go to Pepe's near the Yale campus before Yale or Quinnipiac games. Al didn't make the game this year so Mark Blumenthal and I and my son went to a diner a mile or two from the Quinnipiac rink, on account of we wanted to get tickets first, well before the game, since it was a sellout (hah!) and at least we'd get standing room. Instead we got tickets between the blue lines, three rows up ... and not very good food. But, yes, Al, I had clams ... the fried clam plate but the place Glenwood Drive-In) was a disappointment. Next time, back to Pepe's and its white pie, clam-and-bacon-and-a-hint-of-(burp) garlic.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 23, 2008 04:27PM

billhoward
Al DeFlorio
Beeeej
Inside joke, here. Al and I and friends and family usually go to Pepe's near the Yale campus before Yale or Quinnipiac games. Al didn't make the game this year so Mark Blumenthal and I and my son went to a diner a mile or two from the Quinnipiac rink, on account of we wanted to get tickets first, well before the game, since it was a sellout (hah!) and at least we'd get standing room. Instead we got tickets between the blue lines, three rows up ... and not very good food. But, yes, Al, I had clams ... the fried clam plate but the place Glenwood Drive-In) was a disappointment. Next time, back to Pepe's and its white pie, clam-and-bacon-and-a-hint-of-(burp) garlic.
Bill, that's really disappointing about the Glenwood Drive-in. Used to go there as a kid (you know, the "pre-modern" era**]) and it was terrific. Foot-long split and grilled dogs. Argh. You can't go back.

Posted by: lynah80 (---.phlapa.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 23, 2008 04:30PM

billhoward

Bush is in the eyes of the beholders. We call fish tossing "spirited." The Cantabs may have other words (and have forgotten that they started the whole thing by tying a chicken to the Cornell net in Boston some years back).

I'm glad all of that unsportsman like conduct is forever in the past.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2008 04:31PM by lynah80.

Re: 2 goal leads and worst records
Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: November 14, 2008 09:11PM

WillR
I believe Barry Melrose and others have referred to the 2 goal lead as the worst lead in hockey

Now Barry can add having a 5-7-4 mark after 16 games as the worst record to have in hockey if you are coaching a NHL team in Tampa. :-O

Wow, those Rays really did set some high standards regarding wins and losses.

So how soon until Barry gets his gig back at ESPN? ;-)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2008 10:01PM by Rita.

Posted by: RichH (76.28.11.---)
Date: November 14, 2008 09:42PM

nevermind.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2008 09:43PM by RichH.

Posted by: ben03 (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: November 14, 2008 10:12PM

Rita
WillR

Now Barry can add having a 5-7-4 mark after 16 games as the worst record to have in hockey if you are coaching a NHL team in Tampa. :-O

tomorrow ...

Re: 2 goal leads and worst records/Barry Melrose
Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: December 04, 2008 10:26PM

ben03
Rita
WillR

tomorrow ...

Nope. Congratulations to everyone who had January 1st 2009 for Barry's return to ESPN.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2008 10:26PM by Rita.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login