Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Your 2007-08 Ivy League Champion Princeton Tigers

Posted by Trotsky 
Your 2007-08 Ivy League Champion Princeton Tigers
Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 17, 2008 12:13AM

Re: Your 2007-08 Ivy League Champion Princeton Tigers
Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 17, 2008 01:25AM

Goddammit.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 17, 2008 12:51PM

I think a little part of my soul just died.

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 17, 2008 03:28PM

Ah, the Ivy League hockey title. That and five cents will get you...

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 17, 2008 03:40PM

Give My Regards
Ah, the Ivy League hockey title. That and five cents will get you...

another banner on the rafters.

Posted by: MOBalum (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 17, 2008 06:38PM

That's a pretty cheap banner. They must be using unregistered immigrant labor in Jersey.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: February 17, 2008 08:21PM

Considering that it's banner that I like to have I will not disparage it.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 17, 2008 08:28PM

All six contenders have now won within a five year period.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 17, 2008 10:55PM

I like winning the Ivy League title also. In the Dalmatian Spectrum (TM) it ranks ahead of any Belts, right behind the Cleary and well behind the Whitelaw.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 17, 2008 11:09PM

We're returning to childhood. Nothing makes you covet a no-longer favored toy as when your sister wants to play with it.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 17, 2008 11:32PM

Well, unlike most of the posters here, I've never cared about the Ivy League title. Paraphrasing what I've posted before, I'll start caring when all 8 Ivy League schools have D1 hockey teams.

Kyle

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 18, 2008 09:39AM

krose
Well, unlike most of the posters here, I've never cared about the Ivy League title. Paraphrasing what I've posted before, I'll start caring when all 8 Ivy League schools have D1 hockey teams.

Kyle

My sentiments exactly. The ECAC title (and beyond) is the only thing that matters to me.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 18, 2008 08:41PM

scoop85
krose

Kyle

My sentiments exactly. The ECAC title (and beyond) is the only thing that matters to me.

Which reminds me of a quote from Ken Dryden on his recruiting by Harkness. Maybe someone has the exact quote, but it goes something like "Princeton (where he was supposed to go) told me they were building for the Ivy (or ECAC) title, Harknes said he was going for the NCAA."

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 18, 2008 09:33PM

I should probably clarify my point from above, especially since I never actually made it.

I would certainly prefer that Cornell win the Ivy League hockey title rather than incur the losses that come with not winning it. Plus it's another banner, and it does come with a pretty nice trophy. But unlike in, say, basketball or lacrosse, winning the Ivy League title in hockey has absolutely no bearing on the postseason, ECAC or NCAA. So I tend not to attach any real significance to it, sacrilegious though that may be.

Case in point: what do you remember from the 2003-04 season -- that Cornell won the Ivy title (shared with Brown), or the Quarterfinal Series That Never Happened? scream

Posted by: daredevilcu (---.dsl1.nor.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 18, 2008 10:06PM

Give My Regards
Case in point: what do you remember from the 2003-04 season -- that Cornell won the Ivy title (shared with Brown), or the Quarterfinal Series That Never Happened? scream

I smile every time I see this.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 18, 2008 10:43PM

Jim Hyla
Which reminds me of a quote from Ken Dryden on his recruiting by Harkness. Maybe someone has the exact quote, but it goes something like "Princeton (where he was supposed to go) told me they were building for the Ivy (or ECAC) title, Harknes said he was going for the NCAA."
Ned once told me that when he was recruiting Dryden he told Krn that if he went to Princeton he'd become the best goalie in the country at reaching around to pull the puck out of his net. I'm guessing it's apocryphal, but it was funny when Ned said it. It really is a joy to hear them all talk about those wonderful days when they get together at July's hockey reunion.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: February 19, 2008 03:28PM

OK, but then, does the ECAC title really "matter"? Does even the NCAA title really "matter"? They're all nice things to say your team did, and clearly those two are more "important" than the Ivy title, but Cornell winning championships isn't going to cure AIDS or solve global hunger or enrich us personally (quite the opposite, in fact - I'm about $200 poorer thanks to merchandise I've bought since a football team I root for won a recent championship).

When it comes down to it, they're ALL ceramic dalmatians. That being the case, I don't see any reason to denigrate a small one merely because there are bigger ones out there that we'd all rather have. And that being the case, I stand by my original reaction to Princeton winning the Ivy title: Goddammit. "Hobey is ashamed" makes a whole lot less sense now.

Posted by: nr53 (---.cisco.com)
Date: February 19, 2008 05:07PM

The way I see it, winning the Ivy title means that Cornell has played well against a large portion of the conference. I'm not sure if it would mean more or less if the Ivy teams were split into different conferences (sorta like the beanpot but not?). I'm not going to lose any sleep over the chance of winning, but there's definitely a school-pride aspect there that I can identify with. They're pretty much the only schools in D1 that have the same recruiting and scheduling restrictions so it's a nice way to see how we could compare if everyone had similar restrictions (yes I know that's a stretch, I don't really care).

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: February 20, 2008 03:41AM

ugarte
I like winning the Ivy League title also. In the Dalmatian Spectrum (TM) it ranks ahead of any Belts, right behind the Cleary and well behind the Whitelaw.

I put it ahead of the Cleary. Of course, I also put the Ned Harkness Cup ahead of the Cleary.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: KenP (---.nws.noaa.gov)
Date: February 20, 2008 07:49AM

I liken it to who wins more regular-season games between the Yankees and the Red Sox. You can engrave a cup, call it a trophy and award a title, but I still put more weight on regular-season championships and post-season series wins.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: February 20, 2008 12:41PM

KenP
I liken it to who wins more regular-season games between the Yankees and the Red Sox. You can engrave a cup, call it a trophy and award a title, but I still put more weight on regular-season championships and post-season series wins.
The Ivy title totally different from an invented "who won more games between two teams" cup. It's a championship that has been awarded between (more or less) the same group of teams for over seventy years. It predates the ECAC championship. Heck, it even predates the NCAA championship. Now I'm not saying that it's more important than either in today's world just because of longevity. But it's not meaningless and it's a lot more than a made-up head-to-head cup.

Date: February 24, 2008 09:38PM

Princeton is 9-1 against Ivies and 5-5 against the "other" ECAC teams (with games remaining at Clarkson and St. Lawrence). Cornell is 4-3-1 against Ivies (with home games remaining against Dartmouth and Harvard) and 7-5 against the "others."

Maybe winning the Ivy League is useful after all.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 24, 2008 10:17PM

Al DeFlorio
Princeton is 9-1 against Ivies and 5-5 against the "other" ECAC teams (with games remaining at Clarkson and St. Lawrence). Cornell is 4-3-1 against Ivies (with home games remaining against Dartmouth and Harvard) and 7-5 against the "others."

But then Clarkson is 9-2 with Ivies and 4-2-3 others. So good teams can beat the Ivies? bugeye

Date: February 24, 2008 10:23PM

Jim Hyla
Al DeFlorio

But then Clarkson is 9-2 with Ivies and 4-2-3 others. So good teams can beat the Ivies? bugeye
More weird stuff: Dartmouth is mired in the bottom four of the ECAC and lost their first eight Ivy games before beating Yale Saturday, yet they are 5-1-1 outside the ECAC with wins over Hockey East's top three--New Hampshire, BU, and Vermont--and Northern Michigan.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login