Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

O'Byrne Arrested

Posted by mdog17 
O'Byrne Arrested
Posted by: mdog17 (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 11, 2008 11:25AM

Will this put a dent in his up and coming career??

[tsn.ca]

Re: O'Byrne Arrested
Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: February 11, 2008 12:11PM

It won't help.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 11, 2008 12:13PM

Seems like it was probably some sort of stupid rookie initiation thing because it was rookies night where they have to buy everyone's drinks. Hes making several hundred thousand dollars a year, so theres no real reason for him to steal a purse.

Posted by: oceanst41 (---.uml.edu)
Date: February 11, 2008 12:44PM

If that's their idea of rookie initiation then it's pretty stupid, you are just asking for trouble. Maybe he can get away with that in Montreal, but Tampa - it's just stupid.

I don't see Murray with an arrest, maybe O'Bryne could've followed his lead.

Posted by: mdog17 (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 11, 2008 01:04PM

Although I also don't think that it was a good idea, but the mug doesn't look half bad stupid

Posted by: mhand06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 11, 2008 03:07PM

Ryan O'Byrne got arrested how and why and when?

Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: February 11, 2008 03:17PM

mhand06
You might consider clicking the link. Welcome to the internet.

Posted by: ftyuv (---.techtarget.com)
Date: February 11, 2008 05:19PM

ugarte
mhand06
Don't do it! I clicked on the internet link and it stole my credit card! Now I have to go into the tubes to fish it out.

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: February 11, 2008 05:26PM

Leave it to O'Byrne to get another inopportune penalty.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: pat (---.telebecinternet.net)
Date: February 11, 2008 06:06PM

This is the lead story on the CBC Montreal 6 o'clock news. "The team has no plans to sanction the two players." So yeah, sounds like hazing.

Update: Second story is how effing cold it is. In conclusion, typical news day.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2008 06:08PM by pat.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 11, 2008 06:22PM

ftyuv
ugarte
mhand06
Don't do it! I clicked on the internet link and it stole my credit card! Now I have to go into the tubes to fish it out.

"Not that net!", said the fish.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 11, 2008 06:30PM

Here's how a blog writer for the Baltimore Sun puts it: [weblogs.baltimoresun.com]

Posted by: cth95 (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: February 11, 2008 08:17PM

A rare example in which I'm glad the article did not tie a player to Cornell. rolleyes

Posted by: bandit1 (132.236.107.---)
Date: February 12, 2008 04:04PM

Is anyone really surprised given his troubled behavior while he was here on campus...By the way, it is not funny.

Posted by: redhair34 (---.c3-0.nwt-ubr2.sbo-nwt.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: February 12, 2008 04:46PM

bandit1
Is anyone really surprised given his troubled behavior while he was here on campus...By the way, it is not funny.

huh?

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: February 12, 2008 05:33PM

redhair34
bandit1

huh?
What troubled behavior on campus? Links? I don't remember anything.

It is very much funny when a professional athlete making hundreds of thousands of dollars gets caught committing petty theft. It's probably not going to ruin his life and it most certainly won't ruin the victim's life. So why not laugh at the absurdity of it?

Posted by: Rita (---.agry.purdue.edu)
Date: February 12, 2008 06:19PM

KeithK
redhair34
bandit1

huh?

It is very much funny when a professional athlete making hundreds of thousands of dollars gets caught committing petty theft. It's probably not going to ruin his life and it most certainly won't ruin the victim's life. So why not laugh at the absurdity of it?

Well, it probably wasn't very funny to the victim. Having a purse (or wallet) stolen is a big hassle. You are temporarily without ID and access to money and maybe even your house/car keys.

It sounds like she got everything back and does not have to go through the hassle of canceling credit cards, getting a new license, ATM card, cell phone etc.

If it was part of a rookie hazing ritual, there are other ways that you can promote team bonding and unity without walking off with someone else's property.

Date: February 12, 2008 06:28PM

Rita
If it was part of a rookie hazing ritual, there are other ways that you can promote team bonding and unity without walking off with someone else's property.
I'm not saying I approve of the stunt. I think hazing is pretty much asinine and no doubt the victim was upset at the time. But she did get her stuff back (apparently) and suffered no lasting harm. So we're left to laugh at the spectacle. YMMV.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.gunnery.org)
Date: February 12, 2008 07:05PM

KeithK

Remember how he went pro very late in summer?

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: February 12, 2008 07:13PM

calgARI '07
KeithK

Who should we PM for details?

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 12, 2008 07:13PM

calgARI '07
KeithK

PM him for details.:-} Sorry, sometime we'll have to give up on that.

edit: I guess I spent too long at dinner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2008 07:15PM by Jim Hyla.

Date: February 12, 2008 07:21PM

French Rage

Who should we PM for details?

Hilarious.

Date: February 12, 2008 07:27PM

FWIW, I am not insinuating something for sure happened that made O'Byrne leave late in the summer only that it was very curious that he did leave late in the summer.

Posted by: ftyuv (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 12, 2008 07:36PM

So we should PM you for vagaries, instead?

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: February 12, 2008 08:25PM

calgARI '07
FWIW, I am not insinuating something for sure happened that made O'Byrne leave late in the summer ...

That's exactly what you're doing.

Date: February 12, 2008 08:39PM

Chris '03

That's exactly what you're doing.

Awesome.

Posted by: amerks127 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 12, 2008 08:55PM

calgARI '07
Awesome.
FWIW, Ari is not insinuating any sarcasm there.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 12, 2008 09:11PM

Rita

Yeah, but sometimes that leads to the cancellation of the rest of the season after taking a certain type of walk. *coughvermontcough*

Posted by: RichH (76.28.11.---)
Date: February 12, 2008 10:19PM

calgARI '07
KeithK

Before this turns into the worst thread in the world featuring more single-word flames that contribute nothing to the discussion at hand, I dug up the dates that significant early departures first hit this board:

O'Byrne: August 10, 2006
Pokulok: July 6, 2006
McKee: March 31, 2005
Hynes: August 19, 2005

So Hynes actually left later in a summer than O'Byrne did. Does that mean there's some sort of curious behavior his current team should be concerned about as well? I seem to recall players across the college ranks jumping ship over the course of the summer.

Date: February 12, 2008 10:43PM

RichH
So Hynes actually left later in a summer than O'Byrne did. Does that mean there's some sort of curious behavior his current team should be concerned about as well?
Not just "curious," Rich, but "troubled." Maybe O'Byrne was seen with Oswald?

Posted by: oceanst41 (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 12, 2008 11:23PM

Regardless of what O'Bryne may or may not have done to facilitate his exit from the hill, he could've used that one extra year to learn things not to do when you become an NHLer.

I mean the all-star game things where the first year player has a mysteriously high room service charge at the end of the weekend - that's kind of funny. Stealing a purse at a Tampa bar? screwy

Posted by: RichH (76.28.11.---)
Date: February 12, 2008 11:26PM

Al DeFlorio
RichH
So Hynes actually left later in a summer than O'Byrne did. Does that mean there's some sort of curious behavior his current team should be concerned about as well?

Well, to be sure we're not putting words in Ari's mouth (since that's who I quoted), "troubled" was only used by bandit1. Ari described O'Byrne's action as "curious," that's all.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 13, 2008 01:40AM

RichH
Al DeFlorio
RichH

Well, to be sure we're not putting words in Ari's mouth (since that's who I quoted), "troubled" was only used by bandit1. Ari described O'Byrne's action as "curious," that's all.
Actually, when Keith asked what bandit1 meant by "troubled," Ari responded by insinuating that it was true without using any qualifier. Then he decided that his keyboard probably wrote a check that his ass is unable or unwilling to cash.

In any event, I haven't read any article in a publication with a masthead that O'Byrne swiped the purse as part of a hazing ritual, but people are writing here as if it is true. All I know is that he is accused of swiping a purse. I don't know if it was hazing, the act of a drunk guy, an accident because he thought it was his girlfriend's purse (his explanation, IIRC), or an obnoxious thing done by a young guy with a false sense of entitlement who was being a bully.

Date: February 13, 2008 01:50AM

ugarte
Actually, when Keith asked what bandit1 meant by "troubled," Ari responded by insinuating that it was true without using any qualifier. Then he decided that his keyboard probably wrote a check that his ass is unable or unwilling to cash.

Or maybe my keyboard decided that it was not in the mood to deal with a flame war by people unwilling to acknowledge that anything associated with Cornell hockey could ever be bad or wrong.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: February 13, 2008 02:07AM

calgARI '07
ugarte

Or maybe my keyboard decided that it was not in the mood to deal with a flame war by people unwilling to acknowledge that anything associated with Cornell hockey could ever be bad or wrong.
I have no trouble imagining that at least some Cornell hockey players are jackasses. O'Byrne could well be a total asshole. But give me some facts before you ask me to believe that he is.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 13, 2008 02:07AM

calgARI '07
ugarte
I don't know who those people are. I do know that most of eLynah's readers will circle the wagons if all that is thrown around is innuendo, but don't jump to the same defense of people who've actually made mistakes. I don't see anyone here defending Devin's hit on Ross, for example (I haven't seen it, so I have no opinion on it).

If you know something, say something - hell, even say that you know something but aren't at liberty to divulge the details. On the other hand, if you know nothing, please, STFU.

Date: February 13, 2008 02:13AM

ugarte

If you know something, say something - hell, even say that you know something but aren't at liberty to divulge the details. On the other hand, if you know nothing, please, STFU.

Therein lies the issue. I can't say I know something and not divulge the details because it hurts some peoples' feelings as we have seen in the past and in this thread so some have to walk a fine line as it comes to these situations.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2008 02:13AM by calgARI '07.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: February 13, 2008 07:12AM

calgARI '07
ugarte

Therein lies the issue. I can't say I know something and not divulge the details because it hurts some peoples' feelings as we have seen in the past and in this thread so some have to walk a fine line as it comes to these situations.

It doesn't hurt anybody's feelings - it annoys the crap out of some of us because it's an obvious attempt to be seen as more in-the-loop and privy to secret information that the rest of us are not. There is no credible reason for stating that you know something that you can't share, other than self-aggrandizement.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: February 13, 2008 07:24AM

calgARI '07
ugarte

When you've already dug yourself into a deep hole, isn't it usually suggested that you stop digging?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2008 07:25AM by Al DeFlorio.

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.moore.clarkson.edu)
Date: February 13, 2008 07:35AM

Al DeFlorio
calgARI '07
ugarte

When you've already dug yourself into a deep hole, isn't it usually suggested that you stop digging?

he could stop digging if people stopped throwing the dirt back into the hole...

Date: February 13, 2008 09:10AM

Dpperk29
Al DeFlorio
calgARI '07
ugarte

he could stop digging if people stopped throwing the dirt back into the hole...
Perhaps that's where the dirt belongs.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 13, 2008 10:27AM

Besides, "PM me for details" is out of date and should be left alone. This season it's, "Cornell played last weekend. See my blog for details."

If this was hazing and reports say this was the day of the rookie dinner, then the NHL needs to do more of the rookie training most other sports have - money management, not harrassing women, working with the media, your image, your team's image - to insure this doesn't tarnish the league or the sport (or the player). If they did the training, then they need to make it sink in better. The 1950s Yankees could get away with lifting purses or skirts but nobody'd arrest them for it, if they were the charges would be quashed, and nobody would likely report it if it happened.

At least nobody on this thread has wondered what the woman should expect, being in a bar at 2 a.m.

Posted by: bandit1 (132.236.107.---)
Date: February 13, 2008 11:38AM

He went pro late in the summer for a reason and it was not cause he's a good guy.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.rbccm.com)
Date: February 13, 2008 11:10PM

ugarte
.........or an obnoxious thing done by a young guy with a false sense of entitlement who was being a bully.
He's huge, he's in Montreal, he's an NHL hockey player. Come on, he's entitled.

Date: February 14, 2008 12:49AM

Thanks guys - you sure put me in my place.

Habs greats worry about team behaviour
Posted by: amerks127 (---.soc.cornell.edu)
Date: February 15, 2008 01:04PM

[tsn.ca]

Jean Beliveau, Yvan Cournoyer and Henri Richard don't seem to be happy campers.

Re: Habs greats worry about team behaviour
Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.caltech.edu)
Date: February 15, 2008 01:16PM

amerks127
http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=229676&hubname=

They probably did stuff just as bad, but it was in Canada and the press wouldn't dare say anything or it was in the US and nobody cared.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.cmbrmaks.akamai.com)
Date: February 15, 2008 01:34PM

amerks127
http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=229676&hubname=

I imagine that at their advanced ages, their "Get off my lawn!" quotient is very high. Pretty much every generation thinks the next generation is a bunch of slackers and nogoodniks.

Kyle

Posted by: nr53 (---.cisco.com)
Date: February 15, 2008 01:52PM

Jacob '06
They probably did stuff just as bad, but it was in Canada and the press wouldn't dare say anything or it was in the US and nobody cared.

article
None of the three greats would go into any detail about what exactly the old time rookie initiation entailed. They did say it usually occurred on lengthy trips by train to other cities and involved food, booze and some other unmentionable acts.

"It was a crazy initiation," said Richard with a mischievous smile.

That would seem to sum it up. Sounds like someone just got caught this time or things were taken a bit too far.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: February 15, 2008 06:02PM

nr53
Jacob '06

article
None of the three greats would go into any detail about what exactly the old time rookie initiation entailed. They did say it usually occurred on lengthy trips by train to other cities and involved food, booze and some other unmentionable acts.

"It was a crazy initiation," said Richard with a mischievous smile.

That would seem to sum it up. Sounds like someone just got caught this time or things were taken a bit too far.
After reading the article, it seems like the title is somewhat misleading. They seem to be as bothered by the fact that the rookies had to buy an expensive dinner as they are by the arrests.

Posted by: jeh25 (128.148.166.---)
Date: February 21, 2008 08:56AM

KeithK

Boys will be boys, Keith? C'mon. You can do better.

Date: February 21, 2008 01:56PM

jeh25
KeithK

Boys will be boys, Keith? C'mon. You can do better.
Not quite. Go ahead and arrest and convict him. Sentence him to probation and community service (which I imagine is probably what he'd get for something lie this). But it's still funny.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login