Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

The Rest of the ECAC Year, Updated 3/1

Posted by Jim Hyla 
The Rest of the ECAC Year, Updated 3/1
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 10, 2008 10:03AM

The best place to work out the full ECAC year is at John Whelan's ECAC Playoff Possibilities Script

However, back before the days of computers (yes they did play hockey way back then, and some of us were even watching it), I used to always wait for "The Intercollegiate Hockey Newsletter" to come out with their issue showing the standings and the remaining games. I still find it an easy way to watch and think about upcoming weeks.

If you see mistakes, let me know.
 	PTS	ECAC	REST OF THE YEAR		
CLK	31	14-4-3	QUN
PRN	28	14-7-0	@SLU
HVD	25	11-7-3	@COR
UNI	25	10-6-5	@BRN
COR	25	13-8-1	HVD
QUN	22	9-8-4	@CLK
YLE	20	8-9-4	RPI
CLG	21	8-8-5	DRT
RPI	15      6-12-3	@YLE
SLU	14	6-13-2	PRN
BRN	13	5-13-3	UNI
DRT	13	5-13-3	@CLG

Now, after looking at this you can all go put in your choices in John's script. Have fun.

Edited 13 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2008 09:56AM by Jim Hyla.

Re: The Rest of the ECAC Year
Posted by: ursusminor (---.washdc.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 10, 2008 02:47PM

I remember living here in DC and sometimes not finding out RPI scores for a couple of weeks until the IcHN showed up. It makes one understand how the Battle of New Orleans could have been fought after the War of 1812 had ended.

The editor/publisher, Don Birkmayer, followed Ned Harkness about 30 years later in moving from Troy to Ithaca.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 10, 2008 06:18PM

ursusminor
The editor/publisher, Don Birkmayer, followed Ned Harkness about 30 years later in moving from Troy to Ithaca.

Editor/publisher of what? I only knew him as the Houston announcer. (Thread drift award?)

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 10, 2008 06:24PM

marty
ursusminor

Editor/publisher of what? I only knew him as the Houston announcer. (Thread drift award?)
IcHN, a fantastic college hockey resource from the old days. Weekly, typewritten on colored paper, zero production value, zero fluff. It was the inspiration for the original paper version of TBRW. He did it from the 60's (maybe earlier) through the early 90's.

I had no idea Don wound up in Ithaca. I thought IcHN was published from Troy for its whole tenure.

Here's a picture from Stutt's RPI book.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2008 06:29PM by Trotsky.

Date: February 10, 2008 07:20PM

Trotsky
marty
ursusminor

IcHN, a fantastic college hockey resource from the old days. Weekly, typewritten on colored paper, zero production value, zero fluff. It was the inspiration for the original paper version of TBRW. He did it from the 60's (maybe earlier) through the early 90's.

I had no idea Don wound up in Ithaca. I thought IcHN was published from Troy for its whole tenure.

Ralph may know better, but I think he moved after publication ceased.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.washdc.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 10, 2008 09:30PM

Jim Hyla
Trotsky
marty
ursusminor

Ralph may know better, but I think he moved after publication ceased.
Someone else was the editor and publisher the last few years. He was still in Troy as long as he was editor/publisher.

Without climbing up to a high shelf to look at the copies that I have, I am pretty sure it came out only every two weeks as there were only about a dozen issues per year at most.

Posted by: mttgrmm (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: February 11, 2008 03:10AM

unless I'm reading this totally wrong, the Cornell line should read:

COR 19 9-6-1 UNI RPI @QUN @PRN DRT HVD

thanks for putting the list together.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: February 11, 2008 01:12PM

Personally, I prefer "Qpc," in the abbreviational tradition of "Pgh."

Posted by: ursusminor (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 11, 2008 04:02PM

Trotsky
Personally, I prefer "Qpc," in the abbreviational tradition of "Pgh."
I prefer FDT for their nickname. ;-)

Edit: Or is it SDT?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2008 04:03PM by ursusminor.

Posted by: lynah80 (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 11, 2008 04:53PM

Very nice summary.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2008 04:56PM by lynah80.

Date: February 11, 2008 06:18PM

mttgrmm
unless I'm reading this totally wrong, the Cornell line should read:

COR 19 9-6-1 UNI RPI @QUN @PRN DRT HVD

thanks for putting the list together.

Thank you, you're obviously correct. I changed it a few times until I finally did Excel to make it come out legibly. Screwed it up with a change, I guess. If anyone else has a correction, let me know.

Posted by: ShardZ (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 12, 2008 03:21AM

Jim Hyla
we will have a difficult time vaulting into second or third, but if we win 4 games we should finish fourth.

I disagree, I think 2nd or 3rd are both plausible. In my mind, a win against either Princeton or Q-pac would make it very possible for us to jump over that team. They are each only 3 ahead...with the win we'd only need a single point that they don't get over the other 5 games, and both of them have @CLK left.
I remember not being overly impressed with Q when they were in Lynah earlier this year (though I cant remember any details at the moment). And having been at both ECAC Clarkson games this year, where they beat us two different ways, I unfortunately have high expectations for the Knights for the remainder of the season. I am confident in their ability to "help us" with a win in their own arena, at least against Q. So at the very least, taking 3rd from Q should be doable.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 12, 2008 07:37AM

ShardZ
Jim Hyla
we will have a difficult time vaulting into second or third, but if we win 4 games we should finish fourth.

I disagree, I think 2nd or 3rd are both plausible. In my mind, a win against either Princeton or Q-pac would make it very possible for us to jump over that team. They are each only 3 ahead...with the win we'd only need a single point that they don't get over the other 5 games, and both of them have @CLK left.
I remember not being overly impressed with Q when they were in Lynah earlier this year (though I cant remember any details at the moment). And having been at both ECAC Clarkson games this year, where they beat us two different ways, I unfortunately have high expectations for the Knights for the remainder of the season. I am confident in their ability to "help us" with a win in their own arena, at least against Q. So at the very least, taking 3rd from Q should be doable.

I would agree that it's possible, but arguing over semanticslooking, I'd say plausible is more difficultscrewy. We (Q,P and us) all play Dmth and Hvd. Let's assume we do the same against those common opponents. Then we beat one of the two, Q or P, and both of them beat Colgate. So one of them is 5 points ahead of us with 2 other games left. So, second is out. Since we both, meaning us and which ever (Q,P) team we beat, got 2 points from our series against them, we are still 3 points behind with 2 other games. God, this is beginning to sound like counting delegates in the primaries. Could we do it, yes. Would it be difficult, yes.

I guess my point is that it'll require a lot of help from other teams.

Date: February 16, 2008 11:44PM

Jim Hyla
ShardZ
Jim Hyla

I would agree that it's possible, but arguing over semanticslooking, I'd say plausible is more difficultscrewy. We (Q,P and us) all play Dmth and Hvd. Let's assume we do the same against those common opponents. Then we beat one of the two, Q or P, and both of them beat Colgate. So one of them is 5 points ahead of us with 2 other games left. So, second is out. Since we both, meaning us and which ever (Q,P) team we beat, got 2 points from our series against them, we are still 3 points behind with 2 other games. God, this is beginning to sound like counting delegates in the primaries. Could we do it, yes. Would it be difficult, yes.

I guess my point is that it'll require a lot of help from other teams.

Well, we got that help. If only we had helped ourselves. I've updated the first post, after results from this weekends games.

Re: The Rest of the ECAC Year, Updated 2/15
Posted by: daredevilcu (---.dsl1.nor.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 17, 2008 12:10AM

Clarkson, Princeton, Quinnipiac, and Cornell have all locked up home ice in the playoffs for at least the first round. None of them can finish worse than 8th.

Also, SLU, RPI, Brown, and Dartmouth will all be playing in the first weekend. None of them can break into the top 4, although all have a chance at home ice. With one more win, Colgate could seal that off and make it so only SLU has a shot at it. Big gap this year between 1-8 and 9-12 this late. As early as Friday next week we could know who's going on the road for the first round.

All teams, 1-8, are within striking distance of first place. Hooray ECAC, always taking it down to the final game of the final weekend and beyond.

Re: The Rest of the ECAC Year, one possibility for 2/24
Posted by: lynah80 (---.phlapa.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 18, 2008 09:12PM

Next weekend will be very challenging for Cornell. It looks like they will need at least 2 points to stay in fourth place.

One possibility is below. Winners for each game are in bold. For ties, both teams are bold. The visiting team is first.

Friday

CLG PRN
COR QUN
CLK UNI
SLU RPI
YLE HVD
BRN DRT

Saturday

COR PRN
SLU UNI
CLK RPI
BRN HVD
YLE DRT

Sunday
CLG QUN

Then the standings on February 24 will look like this:

29 CLK 13 - 4 - 3
28 PRN 14 - 6 - 0
24 QUN 10 - 6 - 4
23 COR 11 - 8 - 1
23 HVD 10 - 7 - 3
23 YLE 9 - 6 - 5
23 UNI 9 - 6 - 5
18 CLG 7 - 9 - 4
13 DRT 5 - 12 - 3
13 RPI 5 - 12 - 3
12 SLU 5 - 13 - 2
11 BRN 4 - 13 - 3

Although Cornell would be in a 4-way tie for fourth, their last 2 games are at Lynah, which will help a lot.
Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2008 10:05PM by lynah80.

Date: February 18, 2008 10:05PM

I like it, but why not go for the five-way tie? Have Colgate tie with Quinnipiac on Sunday!

Except for that whole Princeton being 1 point out of first and Clarkson not sweeping... I sure hope that doesn't end up being the case. Here's my favorite what-if so far. Using the same method lynah80 did...

Friday

CLG PRN
COR QUN
CLK UNI
SLU RPI
YLE HVD
BRN DRT

Saturday

COR PRN
SLU UNI
CLK RPI
BRN HVD
YLE DRT

Sunday
CLG QUN

Standings with those results would be...

1. 30 Clarkson
2. 25 Princeton
3. 24 Quinnipiac
24 Cornell
24 Harvard
6. 22 Union
22 Colgate
22 Yale
9. 13 Dartmouth
13 Rensselaer
12 St. Lawrence
11 Brown

Now, I haven't figured in the tiebreakers yet, but I will get to that later when I'm a little less tired. What I do know is those results will guarantee Clarkson the Cleary Cup by the end of the weekend... therefore, and it almost pains me to say this, GO CORNELL. If you guys sweep and Colgate beats Princeton, Clarkson can wrap it up with a sweep of their own. Plus if you guys can wrap up a first-round bye, I won't have to worry about facing you guys until Albany, hockey gods willing.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2008 10:29PM by daredevilcu.

Re: The Rest of the ECAC Year, the USCHO prediction for 2/24
Date: February 22, 2008 01:11AM

USCHO has a different view of things than I did in my previous post. See:

[www.uscho.com]

Their predictions are summarized below. Winners for each game are in bold. For ties, both teams are bold. The visiting team is first.

Friday

CLG PRN
COR QUN
CLK UNI
SLU RPI
YLE HVD
BRN DRT

Saturday

COR PRN
SLU UNI
CLK RPI
BRN HVD
YLE DRT

Sunday
CLG QUN

With these results, the standings on February 24 will look like this:

30 CLK 14 - 4 - 2
28 PRN 14 - 6 - 0
24 HVD 11 - 7 - 2
24 QUN 10 - 6 - 4
22 YLE 9 - 7 - 4
22 UNI 9 - 7 - 4
21 COR 10 - 9 - 1
20 CLG 8 - 8 - 4
13 DRT 5 - 12 - 3
13 RPI 5 - 12 - 3
12 SLU 5 - 13 - 2
11 BRN 4 - 13 - 3

Let's see who's expectations turn out to be more accurate on Sunday.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2008 01:20AM by lynah80.

Re: The Rest of the ECAC Year, the USCHO prediction for 2/24
Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: February 22, 2008 11:34AM

lynah80
With these results, the standings on February 24 will look like this:

30 CLK 14 - 4 - 2
28 PRN 14 - 6 - 0
24 HVD 11 - 7 - 2
24 QUN 10 - 6 - 4
22 YLE 9 - 7 - 4
22 UNI 9 - 7 - 4
21 COR 10 - 9 - 1
20 CLG 8 - 8 - 4
13 DRT 5 - 12 - 3
13 RPI 5 - 12 - 3
12 SLU 5 - 13 - 2
11 BRN 4 - 13 - 3

Let's see who's expectations turn out to be more accurate on Sunday.
The distance we can drop with a zero-point road weekend highlights how important these games are. Anywhere between 3 and 8 is possible, and it's really a wide open race for those spots.

Re: The Rest of the ECAC Year, Updated 2/22
Date: February 22, 2008 09:45PM

Bump, redid it after tonight.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 22, 2008 10:52PM

A scenario to win the RS with no ties and as few upsets as I could manage:

Ya Da
Bn Ha
Cr Pn *
Ck RP **
SL Un
Cg Qn **

Un Ya
Qn Sl
RP Bn
Ha Cg
Da Cr
Pn Ck *

Un Bn
Qn Ck *
RP Ya
Ha Cr
Da Cg
Pn SL **

* Slight upset
** Big upset

Final standings:

29 Cornell
28 Princeton
27 Clarkson
27 Union
26 Harvard
26 Quinnipiac
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2008 10:53PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: BCrespi (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 22, 2008 11:14PM

From the look of your standings, Q would not have to lose to Gate for us to win the league, thus eliminating one of the big upsets,

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 23, 2008 02:18AM

Trotsky
Final standings:

29 Cornell
28 Princeton
27 Clarkson
27 Union
26 Harvard
26 Quinnipiac

Which would be a new (dubious?) record for lowest points to garner the 1st seed in the playoffs.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: February 23, 2008 07:53AM

And a way for Cornell to lose the Cleary on the last night of the season and finish 5th... I haven't played around enough to see if H and C could meet winner take all or not. I doubt it can happen.

Ya Da
Bn Ha
Cr Pn *
Ck RP TIE
SL Un
Cg Qn TIE

Un Ya
Qn Sl
RP Bn
Ha Cg
Da Cr
Pn Ck *

Un Bn
Qn Ck *
RP Ya
Ha Cr
Da Cg
Pn SL **

* Slight upset
** Big upset

Final standings:

28 Clarkson
28 Princeton
28 Harvard
27 Union
27 Cornell
27 Quinnipiac

EDIT: Changing only the Clk/RPI result to an RPI win and this is the final finish:
Princeton
Harvard
Union
Cornell
Quinnipiac
Clarkson

Has Cornell ever finished a season looking up at both Princeton and Union?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2008 07:58AM by Chris '03.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: February 23, 2008 10:16AM

Chris '03
Has Cornell ever finished a season looking up at both Princeton and Union?

No. Cornell has only finished below Union once, in 1994 - 8th & 6th respectively - and Princeton finished 9th that year. Even when we finished 11th in 1993, Union was 12th.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Avash (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: February 23, 2008 01:21PM

Scersk '97
Trotsky
Final standings:

29 Cornell
28 Princeton
27 Clarkson
27 Union
26 Harvard
26 Quinnipiac

Which would be a new (dubious?) record for lowest points to garner the 1st seed in the playoffs.

Cornell and Harvard finished tied for first with 29 points in 1973 -- the only ECAC season where no team reached 30 points.

Date: February 23, 2008 04:09PM

Avash
Scersk '97
Trotsky
Final standings:

29 Cornell
28 Princeton
27 Clarkson
27 Union
26 Harvard
26 Quinnipiac

Cornell and Harvard finished tied for first with 29 points in 1973 -- the only ECAC season where no team reached 30 points.

I suppose I should have limited my comment, but that was "pre-modern," or before 1985, so each team played an unbalanced in-league schedule of between 10 (Army) (!) and 22 games. Both Harvard and Cornell played 18 that season. (Army's half-season was pretty normal, but what happened to Yale? 12 games in-league and 10 out. What... an extended Canada trip?)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2008 04:11PM by Scersk '97.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 23, 2008 04:22PM

Scersk '97
I suppose I should have limited my comment, but that was "pre-modern," or before 1985, so each team played an unbalanced in-league schedule of between 10 (Army) (!) and 22 games. Both Harvard and Cornell played 18 that season. (Army's half-season was pretty normal, but what happened to Yale? 12 games in-league and 10 out. What... an extended Canada trip?)
The Yale players were busy clearing dinosaurs off the ice.

Re: The Rest of the ECAC Year, Beating Princeton
Date: February 23, 2008 05:00PM

Last night, Princeton had Jubinville, Wilson and MacIntyre on their first line. They have a combined total of 30 goals and 83 points this year. Mike will obviously try to get Scali, Fontas and Mugford on the ice with them, but given that the game is away, he will probably have to do that on the fly rather than after whistles. Another possible approach to shutting down the Princeton first line would be to go with 7 or more defensemen.

MacIntyre has missed a fair amount of ice time recently. Does any one know why? When he is not on the ice, Kramer (8-7-15, a freshman) usually takes his place.

I think one weakness that Princeton has is goaltending. Kalemba's numbers are mediocre (.908 save%, 2.63 GAA). He was pulled in the loss at Union on Feb 1 2008, after he gave up 4 goals during the first 2 periods. I think having Mike Kennedy back on the ice is a huge plus for the Big Red; it gives them two big scoring lines rather than just one.

Cornell skated very hard against Quinnipiac last night and coming back with another big game tonight will not be easy. I don't know how fresh Princeton will be. The game summaries suggest that they really out skated Colgate, rather than out muscled them. Princeton had 6 breakaways; there were also a number of other Colgate defensive breakdowns. A total of 16 minor penalties were called, which is high, but not excessive. I was surprised that Dekanich gave up 5 goals, but I think his defense just couldn't keep up with the Princeton offense.

I think it will take a lot of very strong defense and a few opportunistic goals to beat Princeton. I doubt Mike Schafer needs any advice from me.

Go Big Red.
Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2008 05:48PM by lynah80.

Date: February 23, 2008 05:44PM

lynah80
Next weekend will be very challenging for Cornell. It looks like they will need at least 2 points to stay in fourth place.

One possibility is below. Winners for each game are in bold. For ties, both teams are bold. The visiting team is first.

Friday

CLG PRN
COR QUN
CLK UNI
SLU RPI
YLE HVD
BRN DRT

Nice job on those picks, lynah80. The two you missed were pretty tough to call anyway, and the four that you got right were arguably even harder.

Re: The Rest of the ECAC Year, Updated 2/23
Date: February 23, 2008 09:42PM

Bump, updated. We better hope Colgate can do it tomorrow, otherwise Union losing to Brown or Yale? That's assuming we sweep next weekend. Sure would have been nice if Clarkson had helped. Go 'gate.

Date: February 23, 2008 09:59PM

Jim Hyla
Bump, updated. We better hope Colgate can do it tomorrow, otherwise Union losing to Brown or Yale? That's assuming we sweep next weekend. Sure would have been nice if Clarkson had helped. Go 'gate.

Union losing to (or only picking up 3 points vs.) Yale and Brown on the road? I don't think that's anywhere close to outside the realm of possibility, to ever so slightly anti-woof. What's crucial is that we pick up at least a tie vs. Dartmouth on Friday; without a tie, all Saturday will be about is bragging rights.

Posted by: lynah80 (---.wlan.med.upenn.edu)
Date: February 23, 2008 10:12PM

I think it's very likely that Cornell is going to need 4 points next weekend. They played very well this weekend and if everyone stays healthy, they should have a good chance of beating both Dartmouth and Harvard at Lynah.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2008 12:16AM by lynah80.

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 23, 2008 10:18PM

If Quinnipiac beats Colgate, Cornell goes into the final weekend with no control over a first-round bye, since Union has the head-to-head tiebreaker edge on the Big Red. We'd have to hope for a sweep coupled with either Union getting 3 or fewer points, or Quinnipiac losing at least once in the North Country. Certainly neither of those is impossible, but still -- Go 'Gate!

Date: February 23, 2008 10:20PM

Dartmouth is really up and down. They trounced Yale tonight, but lost to Brown on Friday. Harvard's riding high, Richter is playing well and the team is on a 4-game win streak. Cornell will have to be at the top of their game, definitely, and they'll be cheering for SLU, Clarkson, Brown and Yale for most of the weekend.

I have to figure Union will get at least 2 points out of that trip, so Cornell will need at least 3 because they lose that tiebreaker. Quinnipiac will need to drop 2 of their last 3, I think, for the Red to get a bye. With the NC trip, it's always possible, however if Clarkson wins on Friday against Princeton they wrap up the Cleary cup. If that happens, who knows if they'll be playing a bunch of seniors who don't play often on Saturday -- it is senior night. Might give Q a better shot to defy what has been a fairly predictable outcome at Cheel this year.

Date: February 24, 2008 12:11AM

daredevilcu
Quinnipiac will need to drop 2 of their last 3, I think, for the Red to get a bye.

Actually, as said below, Q needs just one loss for us to have control. If they lose tomorrow, then, if we sweep they can't catch us.

Give My Regards
If Quinnipiac beats Colgate, Cornell goes into the final weekend with no control over a first-round bye, since Union has the head-to-head tiebreaker edge on the Big Red.

If Q loses, we jump ahead of Harvard and stay ahead of Q with a sweep. Then if Union doesn't sweep we get 3, if they also sweep, they win the tiebreaker with us and we are 4. I don't think anything else matters. Since Yale plays Union they can't both overtake us.

All this depends upon us sweeping. Go 'gate, beat Q and rough up Harvard before we play them.smashfreak

So who's watching 'gate at Q tomorrow? I believe it's on NESN, and I'm still active with Q's web feed.

Date: February 24, 2008 03:11PM

Well, we control our destiny. Win out and we have home ice. Thanks 'gate.

Posted by: Rita (---.agry.purdue.edu)
Date: February 24, 2008 03:30PM

Jim Hyla
Well, thanks to Colgate,we control our destiny. Win out and we have home ice. Thanks 'gate.

One cannot ask for more than that. Given the ups and downs that the team has had, they are in a very good position heading into the final weekend.

LGR!

Date: February 24, 2008 09:57PM

We can also depend on the kindness of strangers: there is, in fact, a scenario where we lose both games and end up in fourth.

Date: February 24, 2008 10:02PM

Scersk '97
We can also depend on the kindness of strangers: there is, in fact, a scenario where we lose both games and end up in fourth.
Happened last year, but two years in a row would really be tempting the hockey gods.

Date: February 24, 2008 10:12PM

Al DeFlorio
Scersk '97
Happened last year, but two years in a row would really be tempting the hockey gods.
Oh, I certainly agree. Tempt ye not the hockey gods.

Last year, though, it was only three teams for 3rd and 4th; this year, it's six teams for 3rd and 4th, so backing into 4th would be quite the gift.

Posted by: BillCharlton (---.dsl.tpkaks.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 25, 2008 01:46AM

Al DeFlorio
Scersk '97

Unless the hockey gods favor Cornell over all others in the pantheon of truly deserving hockey teams.

Date: February 25, 2008 07:51AM

BillCharlton
Al DeFlorio
Scersk '97

Unless the hockey gods favor Cornell over all others in the pantheon of truly deserving hockey teams.
The '04 and '07 quarterfinals raise doubt.cry

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: February 25, 2008 02:13PM

From the "when the heck did that happen?" department, according to collegehockeystats, Cornell is now #2 in powerplay and #2 in kill in conference play.

RPI is staving off history with 8 ppg and 7 sha going into the final league weekend. They are (12, 11) overall.

Re: The Rest of the ECAC Year, Predictions for 2/29-3/1
Date: February 28, 2008 05:20AM

Below are my predictions for the coming weekend. Winners for each game are in bold. For ties, both teams are bold. The visiting team is first.

Friday

HVD CLG
DRT COR
PRN CLK
QUN SLU
UNI YLE
RPI BRN

Saturday

DRT CLG
HVD COR
QUN CLK
PRN SLU
RPI YLE
UNI BRN

With these results, the standings on March 1 would look like this:

32 CLK 14 - 4 - 4
31 PRN 15 - 6 - 1
27 COR 13 - 8 - 1
26 HVD 12 - 8 - 2
25 UNI 10 - 7 - 5
24 QUN 10 - 8 - 4
24 YLE 10 - 8 - 4
22 CLG 9 - 9 - 4
15 BRN 6 - 13 - 3
13 RPI 5 - 14- 3
13 DRT 5 - 14 - 3
12 SLU 5 - 15 - 2

And the Big Red would have a bye for March 7-9.

============================================================================
I will post the USCHO predictions when they become available and do the arithmetic for the standings. For last weekend, I tied USCHO for overall prediction accuracy.
Edited 9 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2008 11:28PM by lynah80.

Posted by: redice (---.154.219.81.Dial1.Boston1.Level3.net)
Date: February 28, 2008 09:07AM

lynah80
Below are my predictions for the coming weekend. Winners for each game are in bold. For ties, both teams are bold. The visiting team is first.

Friday

HVD CLG
DRT COR
PRN CLK
QUN SLU
UNI YLE
RPI BRN

Saturday

DRT CLG
HVD COR
QUN CLK
PRN SLU
RPI YLE
UNI BRN

32 CLK 14 - 4 - 4
31 PRN 15 - 6 - 1
27 COR 13 - 8 - 1
26 HVD 12 - 8 - 2
25 UNI 10 - 7 - 5
24 QUN 10 - 8 - 4
24 YLE 10 - 8 - 4
22 CLG 9 - 9 - 4
15 BRN 6 - 13 - 3
13 DRT 5 - 14 - 3
13 RPI 5 - 14- 3
12 SLU 5 - 15 - 2

I will post the USCHO predictions when they become available and do the arithmetic for the standings. For last weekend, I tied USCHO for overall prediction accuracy.

While I'm usually please with the prospects of a 4-point weekend. (especially when that includes a win over Hahvahd), I don't like the idea of a playoff series with Q. Can we change those final standings a bit? popcorn

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: February 28, 2008 09:16AM

redice
lynah80

Friday

HVD CLG
DRT COR
PRN CLK
QUN SLU
UNI YLE
RPI BRN

Saturday

DRT CLG
HVD COR
QUN CLK
PRN SLU
RPI YLE
UNI BRN

32 CLK 14 - 4 - 4
31 PRN 15 - 6 - 1
27 COR 13 - 8 - 1
26 HVD 12 - 8 - 2
25 UNI 10 - 7 - 5
24 QUN 10 - 8 - 4
24 YLE 10 - 8 - 4
22 CLG 9 - 9 - 4
15 BRN 6 - 13 - 3
13 DRT 5 - 14 - 3
13 RPI 5 - 14- 3
12 SLU 5 - 15 - 2

While I'm usually please with the prospects of a 4-point weekend. (especially when that includes a win over Hahvahd), I don't like the idea of a playoff series with Q. Can we change those final standings a bit? popcorn

Since when does anyone presume Union will win in the playoffs?

Date: February 28, 2008 10:01AM

redice

Sure, if you think SLU can beat them. Then if all goes according to ranking, we play Union.

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 28, 2008 10:10AM

lynah80

(snip)

13 DRT 5 - 14 - 3
13 RPI 5 - 14- 3

Not that anyone cares at this point (or should), but RPI would win the head-to-head tiebreaker here.

redice
While I'm usually please with the prospects of a 4-point weekend. (especially when that includes a win over Hahvahd), I don't like the idea of a playoff series with Q.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing Q in the quarterfinals again -- it would be the only proper way to get revenge for the Ticks knocking off the Big Red last year. Even though the games against Clarkson in '06 were nerve-wracking, as was the second one in '05, both q-final wins were nice payback for the '04 debacle.

Date: February 28, 2008 11:33AM

redice
You'd prefer Union? uhoh

USCHO Predictions for 2/29-3/1
Posted by: lynah80 (---.uphs.upenn.edu)
Date: February 28, 2008 11:17PM

Below are the USCHO predictions for the coming weekend. They differ significantly from the ones I posted this morning.

Winners for each game are in bold. For ties, both teams are bold. The visiting team is first.

Friday

HVD CLG
DRT COR
PRN CLK
QUN SLU
UNI YLE
RPI BRN

Saturday

DRT CLG
HVD COR
QUN CLK
PRN SLU
RPI YLE
UNI BRN

33 CLK 15 - 4 - 3
30 PRN 15 - 7 - 0
28 HVD 13 - 7 - 2
27 UNI 11 - 6 - 5
23 COR 11 - 10 - 1
22 CLG 9 - 9 - 4
22 QUN 9 - 9 - 4
20 YLE 8 - 10 - 4
15 DRT 6 - 13 - 3
15 BRN 6 - 13 - 3
14 SLU 6 - 14 - 2
13 RPI 6 - 13- 3

Big Green over Big Red? I think the guy who writes the ECAC column each week went to Harvard. Either that, or he wishes he did.
Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2008 11:40PM by lynah80.

Re: USCHO Predictions for 2/29-3/1
Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 29, 2008 01:01AM

lynah80
Big Green over Big Red? I think the guy who writes the ECAC column each week went to Harvard. Either that, or he wishes he did.
He actually didn't go to an ECAC school at all.

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 29, 2008 02:39AM

Josh '99
redice
You'd prefer Union? uhoh

The same Union that has one playoff win in 16 years?

Correction, 2 playoff wins.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/29/2008 02:42AM by French Rage.

Date: February 29, 2008 11:01AM

French Rage
The same Union that has one playoff win in 16 years?

Correction, 2 playoff wins.
I know, but they always seem to play over their heads against us and I want no part of it.

Date: March 01, 2008 09:40AM

Quinnipiac has continued their downward slide. They gave SLU 9 power plays (vs. 4 QUN) last night, which led to 2 goals. Brandon Wong and Dan Travis also got 10-minute misconducts.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2008 09:46AM by lynah80.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login