Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

St. Lawrence post-game

Posted by lynah80 
St. Lawrence post-game
Posted by: lynah80 (---.phlapa.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 09, 2008 10:19PM

This if from the SLU ice hockey website:

"St. Lawrence scored twice in the last minute of a major power play called when defenseman Ross was knocked out of the game by a hit to the head early in the second period. Ross was taken off on a stretcher and was obviously shaken up by the hit, but he was not seriously injured."

He was down on the ice for a long time. Maybe they were being cautious in the event that his neck was injured. I hope he is okay.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2008 10:23PM by lynah80.

Re: St. Lawrence post-game
Posted by: Mike Hedrick 01 (---.syr.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 09, 2008 11:37PM

That was a horrible hit. I don't know what Devin was thinking. I hope Ross is OK.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 10, 2008 12:50AM

Well, before everyone starts with, the season is over talk, let's look at where we are. Clarkson was picked first in both preseason polls, as was Q second and SLU third. We were fourth and either Harvard or Colgate were fifth. So which teams have tanked, it certainly wasn't Cornell. Currently Colgate and SLU are fighting for 8 & 9.

As with most of the season, we couldn't put a whole game together. The first period at Clarkson was one of our best, and only Leggio kept them in it. Another score for 2-0 and who knows. Even not having them tie it up would have made a big difference. Against SLU we came out flat and deserved to be down. I didn't see the 5 minute, but we almost killed it off. If we had done that, who knows. The third period was all us.

I hate to be repetitious, but we are young and will show it. Having watched some SU basketball, they show the same stuff. However, they have enough young talent to make a serious run in a year or two.

Anyone that could ask, as was done on the game thread, if Schafer was losing control of this team, well, let me just be nice and say I disagree. But then you all knew I'd say that, so I repeat myself again.deadhorse

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 10, 2008 03:16AM

This is not the 2003 team, but it isn't the 1993 team, either.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.gunnery.org)
Date: February 10, 2008 10:11AM

Pretty clear that the team only prepared to play one game this weekend. Schafer said as much when he said they spent all week on Clarkson and they would worry about St. Lawrence on Saturday.

Posted by: PAthologicalLynah (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 10, 2008 01:02PM

I didn't say he lost control, I just said I was starting to wonder. And younger teams do tend to make these kind of mistakes.

But when he pulled Scrivens, even though it was the PK that gave up 2 goals in 28 seconds, then put him back in later? It seems to me like he is searching for an answer for this team. What's he going to do next, start benching guys, Jack Parker style?

Posted by: oceanst41 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: February 10, 2008 01:08PM

PAthologicalLynah
I didn't say he lost control, I just said I was starting to wonder. And younger teams do tend to make these kind of mistakes.

But when he pulled Scrivens, even though it was the PK that gave up 2 goals in 28 seconds, then put him back in later? It seems to me like he is searching for an answer for this team. What's he going to do next, start benching guys, Jack Parker style?

I think Jim rightly corrected me in the game thread that the putting Scrivens back in was more to gain an extra "timeout" in order to draw up a play than it was searching for an answer.

Date: February 10, 2008 01:15PM

Thanks, I must have missed that in the game thread. I couldn't really understand why he would do that unless it was to shake up the team.

Date: February 10, 2008 01:16PM

PAthologicalLynah

As I had posted earlier on the game thread, he put Scrivens back in so he could get a second "time out". I think the first goalie change was to send a notice to the team to shape up and play stronger. It's often done by a coach and doesn't necessarily say anything bad about the goalie. Maybe he saw something about Scrivens, maybe not. But the team did play better.

During the second change he had the team huddled around him and he was drawing on his erasable board. No one was paying attention to the goalie switch. I'm convinced he just wanted to talk to the team about strategy. Both of these were intelligent coaching moves, not searching for an answer.

edit: Well, I got beat to it.:-}

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2008 01:18PM by Jim Hyla.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 10, 2008 01:23PM

Jim Hyla
As I had posted earlier on the game thread, he put Scrivens back in so he could get a second "time out"
In 'olden days,' the goalie would skate to the bench to have his straps adjusted if the coach wanted to give his team a breather. Same thing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2008 04:09PM by Al DeFlorio.

Date: February 10, 2008 01:25PM

Well you said it much more eloquently.

Date: February 10, 2008 02:04PM

Do you think it might affect Davenport, having come in down 4-0, playing well enough to get them to 4-2, only to be removed just so the coach could draw up an offensive play? Oh, to be on the bench for that conversation.

Date: February 10, 2008 02:29PM

PAthologicalLynah
Do you think it might affect Davenport, having come in down 4-0, playing well enough to get them to 4-2, only to be removed just so the coach could draw up an offensive play? Oh, to be on the bench for that conversation.

Well Scrivens barely played before he was pulled to give Cornell the extra attacker, one way or another Davenport was coming out of that game and I'm sure he was told and understood exactly why.

Date: February 10, 2008 02:37PM

oceanst41
PAthologicalLynah

Well Scrivens barely played before he was pulled to give Cornell the extra attacker, one way or another Davenport was coming out of that game and I'm sure he was told and understood exactly why.

Totally agree. I've been impressed how well Davenport has taken to his role. It seems like he is always ready, and the two of them seem to get along quite well. Of course none of us know what happens inside, each of their heads or the clubhouse, but you can't see any problems on the ice. I take that to be a message that not only are the goalies getting along, but that the coaches and captains are doing their jobs as well.

Date: February 10, 2008 02:41PM

Hmm, good point. I only had the game on redcast, so it's sometimes hard to pin down times for things, I thought he was in there much longer. INCH has much more thorough box scores, the one on USCHO wasn't really much help.

Date: February 10, 2008 03:22PM

We should also remember that B Nash and M Kennedy were not available for the game against SLU.

Posted by: cth95 (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: February 10, 2008 04:56PM

I don't know if it will affect Davenport's confidence if the reason was just to buy time, but it certainly confused him for a couple of minutes.

Schafer signaled to Davenport to come to the bench as the team started to huddle around. It took him a couple tries to get Troy's attention, not surprisingly since goalies aren't usually involved in these discussions. Davenport skated halfway, and then went back to the net when noone was looking at him. Schafer then looked up and yelled "Troy! Get over here!" Davenport finally figured out what was going on and went to the bench.

Date: February 11, 2008 06:30AM

From the Cornell Daily Sun, February 11, 2008:
==============================================
Both the Red and the Saints, however, were shaken up at the 1:21 mark, when St. Lawrence’s first scorer of the night fell to the ice by the left boards in Cornell’s defensive zone. Ross lay flat on his back, not moving for several minutes as trainers and coaches assessed the damage.

The arm of Cornell freshman Joe Devin had hit the back of Ross’s head, resulting in a roughing (contact to the head) penalty and game disqualification for the young defenseman. Junior forward Tyler Mugford was on the ice at the time.

“Yeah, I was on the ice [when it happened],” Mugford said, “but I missed it. It’s not normally [what Devin does]. It’s out of character, not what Joe does. It’s terrible, and nobody likes to see it happen. Hopefully the kid’s alright and nothing serious happens to him.”

Ross was carried off on stretcher to a standing ovation. It was later reported that the defenseman had feeling in all extremities and that medical tests showed his condition to be stable.

Both coaches were surprised at its severity and recognized that it unsettled all the players. Like Mugford, neither coach saw the hit at the time.

“I think [the penalty] was out of the blue,” Schafer said. “Our team is one of the two or three least penalized teams, and I know Joe Marsh’s teams are always very, very disciplined. We’ve never had an incident like that. I haven’t seen the play. They said it was a high hit on the kid. Our guys were very, very concerned for the kid, and it was tough after he went down, it was tough for a lot of kids, and coaches and staff to focus, obviously being very concerned for the kid’s health. Anytime you see that happen, it’s a hockey player’s worst nightmare.”

“I didn’t see the hit,” Marsh said, “but I told our guys, ‘Hey, don’t make this worse.’ We’re not going to go out there and suddenly have vindication or retribution.”

[text omitted]

Devin’s particular situation forced some grown up actions, as well. After the game, Schafer apologized to Marsh and assured him that the Cornell program would follow up on the matter. Though Devin is leading the Red defenseman in scoring with three goals in thirteen games, the freshman has encountered a dreaded hockey event early in his career.

“We’ll deal with discipline from our standpoint,” Schafer said. “I know that Joe feels bad. It’s out of character for him. He hasn’t taken a hit from behind, [and] he hasn’t been undisciplined this year. So I feel for Joe too, from that standpoint. He’s a good kid and just got his arm up [at the wrong time]. … The biggest thing is that we’re grateful the kid’s okay.”
=========================================================================

Sorry to make you look bad Mike Schafer, but here are the penalty statistics.

ECAC Penalty minutes per game (conference only)

1 Brown 15.2
2 Rensselaer 15.2
3 Cornell 14.8
4 Colgate 14.0
5 Quinnipiac 13.8
6 Union 12.6
6 Yale 12.6
8 St. Lawrence 12.5
9 Clarkson 11.6
10 Princeton 11.3
11 Harvard 10.6
12 Dartmouth 9.4
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2008 06:34AM by lynah80.

Posted by: oceanst41 (---.uml.edu)
Date: February 11, 2008 12:50PM

Those are actually the lowest penalty minutes for Cornell since 2004-2005 (let's just say that was a disciplined team all over the ice). The last two season were averaging between 1 and 2 more minors a game.

Posted by: Doug '08 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 11, 2008 07:11PM

I wouldn't exactly call it a standing ovation. The St. Lawrence fans were shouting for Cornell to go home while one squirrelly student banged on the notorious obnoxious drum.

Date: February 11, 2008 08:22PM

I thought Clarkson was bad enough occasionally drumming during play. The two guys with drums at SLU(t) beat on them as much as most fans clap during a game. The only time they quieted down a little was during the 3rd period when Cornell was all over the SLU(t) end, probably worrying them enough to make them actually pay attention to the game.

Didn't someone on here say that artificial noisemakers are against NCAA rules during play? If so, I would think nearly constant drumming for the better part of two periods should be something either the referrees could address or Schafer could contest.

Posted by: daredevilcu (---.dsl1.nor.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 11, 2008 09:56PM

This has been covered dozens of times on this board. It's against the rules during play at the referee's discretion. If it's interfering with anything on the ice the referee reserves the right to ask any band/person to stop at any time. In my time around ECAC hockey, I've only seen it done once, and I believe it was Feola.

Aside from that, arenas have their own rules regarding said noisemakers. Hell, I've seen multiple arenas hand out thundersticks and those certainly qualify. That's been done at SLU, Clarkson, Harvard, and Dartmouth for sure, probably more. It's up to the arena directors to enforce it to a point where they deem it necessary.

As someone mentioned on this board, some fans get out of hand at different arenas. Rather than kick out an entire student section, different places come up with different ways to deal with offensive chants: at Clarkson, it happens to be to ask the band to use the drums to cover it up, so thats the main purpose. As one would expect, if you're allowed to do it during play at all, you'll be allowed to do it pretty much whenever you want as long as it isn't disrupting the game.

Personally, I think it's a stupid rule and it doesn't make much difference in the game one way or the other, and I really think it would help keep a larger student section together -- I'm sure you've all heard A-C chanting LGR at one tempo while D-F is completely off. I've heard it, and I only make it to one Cornell game a year.

I'd think it begins to matter when louder instruments such as trumpets and those god-awful plastic horns get used during play. Those are loud and distracting, and I can see how they might cause problems. Then again, Cornell coaches use an artificial noisemaker when penalties are ending, so it must not be that important of a rule.

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 11, 2008 10:09PM

daredevilcu
Then again, Cornell coaches use an artificial noisemaker when penalties are ending, so it must not be that important of a rule.

I am pretty sure fingers don't count as artificial noisemakers... but I may be wrong.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2008 10:10PM by Dpperk29.

Date: February 11, 2008 10:11PM

We were paying close attention on Friday night -- it sure looked to me like he was using some sort of bird call, not fingers. However, my original point still stands, and I don't really think the rule makes a whole lot of sense. I don't care if they use bird calls, I just don't think it makes a big difference in the game.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2008 10:12PM by daredevilcu.

Date: February 11, 2008 10:22PM

daredevilcu
This has been covered dozens of times on this board. It's against the rules during play at the referee's discretion. If it's interfering with anything on the ice the referee reserves the right to ask any band/person to stop at any time. In my time around ECAC hockey, I've only seen it done once, and I believe it was Feola.

Aside from that, arenas have their own rules regarding said noisemakers. Hell, I've seen multiple arenas hand out thundersticks and those certainly qualify. That's been done at SLU, Clarkson, Harvard, and Dartmouth for sure, probably more. It's up to the arena directors to enforce it to a point where they deem it necessary.

As someone mentioned on this board, some fans get out of hand at different arenas. Rather than kick out an entire student section, different places come up with different ways to deal with offensive chants: at Clarkson, it happens to be to ask the band to use the drums to cover it up, so thats the main purpose. As one would expect, if you're allowed to do it during play at all, you'll be allowed to do it pretty much whenever you want as long as it isn't disrupting the game.

Personally, I think it's a stupid rule and it doesn't make much difference in the game one way or the other, and I really think it would help keep a larger student section together -- I'm sure you've all heard A-C chanting LGR at one tempo while D-F is completely off. I've heard it, and I only make it to one Cornell game a year.

I'd think it begins to matter when louder instruments such as trumpets and those god-awful plastic horns get used during play. Those are loud and distracting, and I can see how they might cause problems. Then again, Cornell coaches use an artificial noisemaker when penalties are ending, so it must not be that important of a rule.

Wow, where do I start? CU coaches with artificial noisemakers for penalties? Have you ever heard of someone who has a good whistle? Well that's our "artificial". No, it's all natural.

All penalties are at the refs discretion, that's why we argue them so much. However the rules are clear; no artificial noisemakers and no band playing during the play of the game. Whether they enforce it is a different issue. However, there is no doubt that Clarkson and SLU are the most flagrant violators. Clarkson's drummers constantly start playing during the game, and the stupid drummer from SLU (a student I was told) is even worse yet. Neither of them come close to the letter of the rules. Unfortunately I'm coming to the opinion that the only way this can be stopped is for a visiting school band to just play whenever they want to and then when they get called on it, point out what the home school is doing.

At the SLU game they handed out noise makers, a clear violation. Remember, this is happening to a fan group who had their cowbell taken awy from them at a game in Minny. We couldn't play a cowbell twice, but you can play your drums whenever you want to? Come-on, please.

Date: February 11, 2008 10:44PM

Jim, hate to say this, but you lost all your credibility when you started throwing things at Clarkson band members. Sorry.

EDIT: I should also note that you should certainly know better, and I really expected more class from you. Then again, I don't know why, as you're constantly self-righteous and accusatory even when I'm producing very logical arguments as to why it isn't a terrible thing. I also note that you don't say whether or not you AGREE with the rule. It's very clear that I don't. Instead, you decide to take a high-and-mighty condescending tone, and quite frankly, it's just annoying. I'm trying to have a decent discussion, generate some conversation about a rule and whether or not it's a good rule, NOT whether or not some schools break it. We know they do. Clearly it isn't a big deal, or they wouldn't be allowed to.

2nd Edit: If I am mistaken, and you are not the guy with the #14 jersey who tosses miniature candies out to the Cornell crowd at away games, my apologies as far as the throwing things comment. Whoever that was though, very classless.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2008 10:54PM by daredevilcu.

Date: February 11, 2008 11:15PM

daredevilcu
Jim, hate to say this, but you lost all your credibility when you started throwing things at Clarkson band members. Sorry.

EDIT: I should also note that you should certainly know better, and I really expected more class from you. Then again, I don't know why, as you're constantly self-righteous and accusatory even when I'm producing very logical arguments as to why it isn't a terrible thing. I also note that you don't say whether or not you AGREE with the rule. It's very clear that I don't. Instead, you decide to take a high-and-mighty condescending tone, and quite frankly, it's just annoying. I'm trying to have a decent discussion, generate some conversation about a rule and whether or not it's a good rule, NOT whether or not some schools break it. We know they do. Clearly it isn't a big deal, or they wouldn't be allowed to.

Well, when I used to throw candy to the Cornell band, I used to try and get it into the tuba and some tried to catch them. That was what I was doing to the Clarkson tuba, I left the trumpet or trombone, whichever it was, alone and it was closer to me. Once they asked me to stop I did, and gave the rink attendant a Snickers to boot. I wasn't trying to be mean, now at SLU that's different.

In regards to the meat of the post, you had some factual errors and I corrected them. The rules are clear, I'm not arguing whether it's a terrible thing or not, just that if they are going to enforce a rule against us then they should enforce it against everyone. And yes, I'm happy about the rule, without it we could have dueling bands and noisemakers. The object for some fans would be to try and be the loudest most obnoxious sound maker. Yes, I know you could leave it up to the ref to decide when it gets out of hand, but is that what you want the game and officials to turn into?

Remember, when we were playing our noise maker it was during a stoppage of play, and they still took our cowbell away. They didn't just tell us to stop but took it away. It got ludicrous, search back to my description of the Minny game if you don't remember. So, I'm coming at this with a attitude, if you'd like to say that.

Sorry if you're annoyed but there were factual errors.

I guess we just disagree completely about this. But yes I've learned, no more throwing, even jovially at opponents.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2008 11:24PM by Jim Hyla.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 11, 2008 11:43PM

daredevilcu

This seems to be a foolish interpretation of a simple rule. But since I think that the rule is that noisemakers aren't allowed, I challenge you to find evidence that says noisemakers are not allowed at the ref's discretion.

I can't believe that anyone would write such a rule.

So go to it. Prove me wrong.

Posted by: amerks127 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 12, 2008 12:13AM

daredevilcu
If I am mistaken, and you are not the guy with the #14 jersey who tosses miniature candies out to the Cornell crowd at away games, my apologies as far as the throwing things comment. Whoever that was though, very classless.

I just want to be clear here (and bear in mind I'm jumping in to this conversation and that quote might be out of context) but...I wear Nash's #14 red, and the only time you'll find me throwing candy is when I throw it back at Jim for giving me a wrapper, which mind you, he has purposely done twice. That, and without a ride I couldn't make it north this year.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2008 12:23AM by amerks127.

Posted by: lynah80 (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 12, 2008 01:01AM

marty
daredevilcu

This seems to be a foolish interpretation of a simple rule. But since I think that the rule is that noisemakers aren't allowed, I challenge you to find evidence that says noisemakers are not allowed at the ref's discretion.

=======================================================
This is from the NCAA Ice Hockey Rule book

Interference by Spectators
SECTION 30.
a. In the event that objects that interfere with the progress of the game are thrown onto the ice, the official shall blow the whistle and stop the play; and the puck shall be faced off at the spot where play is
stopped.
Fans are not permitted to throw objects on the ice. At the discretion of the referee, a warning may be issued before the game.
b. Spectators are not permitted to use artificial noisemakers, air horns or electronic amplifiers while the game is in progress.
c. The band(s) shall not be allowed to play while the game is in progress.

PENALTIES—a. through c.—Warning or bench minor against offending fans’ team for delay of game.

It is the referee’s discretion, depending on the severity of the action, whether or not a warning is necessary.
==========================================================

Seems reasonable to me.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2008 01:07AM by lynah80.

Date: February 12, 2008 07:56AM

As I said, two students each with a drum at SLU(t) (The one with the big marching band drum was whaling on it about as hard as he could, the other had a snare drum so it wasn't quite as loud) and a Clarkson band member drumming during play certainly seem to fit rule b and c, respectively.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: February 12, 2008 08:23AM

amerks127
daredevilcu
If I am mistaken, and you are not the guy with the #14 jersey who tosses miniature candies out to the Cornell crowd at away games, my apologies as far as the throwing things comment. Whoever that was though, very classless.

I just want to be clear here (and bear in mind I'm jumping in to this conversation and that quote might be out of context) but...I wear Nash's #14 red, and the only time you'll find me throwing candy is when I throw it back at Jim for giving me a wrapper, which mind you, he has purposely done twice. That, and without a ride I couldn't make it north this year.

Jim wears the #14 Lodboa "third jersey" that was auctioned off a few years ago.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: February 12, 2008 08:47AM

Jim has an older #14, I believe... some name that starts with an L, if I'm not mistaken. I'd have remembered for sure if it was a Nash jersey.

Date: February 12, 2008 08:50AM

lynah80
marty
daredevilcu

It is the referee’s discretion, depending on the severity of the action, whether or not a warning is necessary.

Seems reasonable to me.

Wow, thanks lynah80. I just logged on and was all prepared to go search for the actual wording. Thanks for doing it for me, much appreciated. Nice to see that my "factual errors" aren't as bad as some might have originally thought.

Date: February 12, 2008 09:04AM

A penalty will only be called if the coach complains to the ref, and after a warning the band still doesn't stop. That being said, calling out the other band or fans for noise is considered pretty taboo.

Date: February 12, 2008 09:09AM

daredevilcu

2nd Edit: If I am mistaken, and you are not the guy with the #14 jersey who tosses miniature candies out to the Cornell crowd at away games, my apologies as far as the throwing things comment. Whoever that was though, very classless.

Oh and that has got to be one of the most ridiculous posts I've seen on this board in a long time.

Date: February 12, 2008 09:19AM

And Jim has already explained his reasoning. He did stop, so it's a dead issue. I'm sure he won't do it again. Thanks for your comments though, I certainly really care what you think of me.

Posted by: KenP (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 12, 2008 10:34AM

popcorn

Posted by: Tom Lento (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 12, 2008 11:36AM

daredevilcu
Wow, thanks lynah80. I just logged on and was all prepared to go search for the actual wording. Thanks for doing it for me, much appreciated. Nice to see that my "factual errors" aren't as bad as some might have originally thought.

I don't know about "factual errors" but people are certainly taking exception to your claims that artificial noisemakers are allowed *unless* the official takes action. That's like saying jaywalking is legal unless the cops actually give you a ticket (and they will, in LA).

Use of artificial noisemakers is prohibited during play. It is up to the referee's discretion whether or not to *enforce* the rule. Jaywalking is illegal, but it's up to the officer's discretion whether or not to write you a ticket when you do it. Same thing.

Having said that, this whole argument is silly. No official is going to penalize Clarkson for the band playing the drums during play, just as no official is going to penalize Cornell for the students throwing newspapers on the ice during the starting lineup announcements. Those actions are still against the rules, and subject to delay of game penalties, but they don't disrupt the game so officials look the other way. Cornell's band chooses to obey a largely ignored rule. Clarkson's band doesn't. Big deal.

Date: February 12, 2008 12:00PM

Tom Lento
I don't know about "factual errors" but people are certainly taking exception to your claims that artificial noisemakers are allowed *unless* the official takes action.

Maybe that's not the letter of the law, but it's certainly the wide practice as you have noted already. Jaywalking, great example, thumbs up.

And yeah, it's prohibited. What I'm saying is that maybe there should be some alteration of the rule to reflect what actually happens. Kind of like how some southern states are changing their speed limit signs on highways to resemble the speeds people are REALLY traveling. With more definition as to what's allowed by referees/arenas and what they won't tolerate, there is less leniency and less to argue about.

Having said that, this whole argument is silly.

Hard to argue with that.

Posted by: RichH (216.195.201.---)
Date: February 12, 2008 12:20PM

KenP
popcorn

And how. I'm surprised nobody has referenced this rule as the "RPI rule" yet. Numerous sources online point to the 1987 "please show up and cheer for a bribe" game where the gift was a plastic horn. Brown filed a complaint, and the rule was implemented.

I mean really, isn't every rule in the book subject to referee discretion? It's the ref's decision to count goals, call penalties, and measure equipment if he deems it necessary.

Obviously no ref is going to enforce this rule save for extreme cases. As a former bandie, I always felt that obeying that rule was more of a courtesy. If bands don't want to extend that courtesy, that's their perogative. Just like having amplified instruments, it will lessen my respect for you, but that's all. I won't even get me angry. And I certainly hope opposing bands don't care one lick about what I think.

As to what happened in that regional game in Minneapolis vs. tOSU...if you go back and watch that game (and why wouldn't you? It was a marvelous result), you can hear the Ohio St. cowbell droning on the entire game during play. I'm convinced some official heard it, said to an underling "go confiscate that cowbell," and when some schlub in the Cornell section pulled one out during a break, that's what they grabbed.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: February 12, 2008 12:51PM

RichH
some schlub in the Cornell section
See if I make any polls for you now.

Date: February 12, 2008 01:02PM

CowbellGuy
RichH
some schlub in the Cornell section
See if I make any polls for you now.

American Heritage Dictionary
NOUN: Slang, A person regarded as clumsy, stupid, or unattractive.

So, let's see, how does this apply to you?scream

Date: February 12, 2008 01:10PM

RichH
As to what happened in that regional game in Minneapolis vs. tOSU...if you go back and watch that game (and why wouldn't you? It was a marvelous result), you can hear the Ohio St. cowbell droning on the entire game during play. I'm convinced some official heard it, said to an underling "go confiscate that cowbell," and when some schlub in the Cornell section pulled one out during a break, that's what they grabbed.

I wish I could be as charitable as you. Having been there I can tell you that it was clear our bell was not in the OSU section. Also they never even said stop, or said "we'll keep this till the game is over, just stop down to the rink office at the end of the game to get it back". It was really serendipity that we got it back.

Date: February 12, 2008 02:08PM

RichH
Just like having amplified instruments, it will lessen my respect for you, but that's all. I won't even get me angry. And I certainly hope opposing bands don't care one lick about what I think.

Teehee, UVM.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 12, 2008 02:33PM

Now, just for kicks and giggles, I was sifting through the ol' hockey-l Archives a week or so ago and found something that tickled me. It is now germane:

[lists.maine.edu]

Scroll down through Bill Fenwick's (ever readable and copious) notes to the Cornell-Clarkson contest. Note that people have been complaining about the Clarkson band's drum-drum-drumming for a long time. Read about the only threatened use of the "RPI" rule that I've ever heard of. Search this referee's name in the archives for further enjoyment.

"Most, though definitely not ALL, of the calls were at least borderline legitimate, which is about all you should ask..."

Comedic gold.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: February 12, 2008 02:37PM

daredevilcu
RichH
Just like having amplified instruments, it will lessen my respect for you, but that's all. I won't even get me angry. And I certainly hope opposing bands don't care one lick about what I think.

Teehee, UVM.
Et tu, Brute?

Wasn't that long ago that Clarkson had an electric bass.

Date: February 12, 2008 03:15PM

Still do unfortunately, but UVM used to play all of their instruments into microphones. Far worse, in my opinion, than having a couple people who can only play guitar and want to be a part of the band joining up. But yeah, I'm not a huge fan of our amps either.

Posted by: RichH (216.195.201.---)
Date: February 12, 2008 04:53PM

daredevilcu
UVM used to play all of their instruments into microphones.

Definitely did. In fact, IIRC (mind you this is going back 6-7 years now), didn't they even have to hire local high-schoolers to fill in the band? Granted, other schools have done this (I think St. Lawrence did once or twice in between various incarnations of failed band attempts...I remember there was a SLU oboeist who was trying desperately to organize it) and Quinnipiac for the 2002 NCAA regional.

Anyway, yeah...UVM's band was the funnest band in the league to mock, other than Harvard's. Let's face it...that's too easy.

Date: February 12, 2008 05:17PM

Indeed they did. Actually, Clarkson has a band member right now that used to play for the UVM pep band when he was a HS student in Burlington. I'm sure he's got some solid funny stories about how pathetic it was.

Posted by: lynah80 (---.uphs.upenn.edu)
Date: February 12, 2008 05:58PM

This is from College Hockey News today 2/12/2008:

"Jared Ross injured Feb. 10 status unknown for Feb. 15 weekend"

Ross was injured on the hit by J Devin.

Date: February 12, 2008 09:51PM

daredevilcu
UVM used to play all of their instruments into microphones.

UVM still has the band piped into the speakers. I went to a game against Northeastern a few weeks ago, and I didn't think there was a band at first. Not only does the sound from the band come through the speakers, but every other break is just typical piped in music. Before I noticed the band in the corner, I thought they were just mixing up the typical stadium rock tracks with music from recorded bands.

Posted by: Tom Lento (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 12, 2008 10:47PM

Scersk '97
Now, just for kicks and giggles, I was sifting through the ol' hockey-l Archives a week or so ago and found something that tickled me. It is now germane:

[lists.maine.edu]

"Most, though definitely not ALL, of the calls were at least borderline legitimate, which is about all you should ask..."

Comedic gold.

a tripping, a cross-checking, AND an unsportsmanlike conduct on Clarkson all at once!

Ok, that's pretty far out there, but I can imagine a situation that could lead to this kind of call. However, there's also a mention of coincidental delay of game penalties before a faceoff (maybe in the Cornell/SLU summary). How the heck does THAT happen?

Posted by: RichH (76.28.11.---)
Date: February 12, 2008 11:50PM

Tom Lento
Ok, that's pretty far out there, but I can imagine a situation that could lead to this kind of call. However, there's also a mention of coincidental delay of game penalties before a faceoff (maybe in the Cornell/SLU summary). How the heck does THAT happen?

WE WANT PIERRE!!
WE WANT PIERRE!!

Pierre (who I have heard has no hair) certainly had a flamboyant way of announcing that he was in charge of the game. Man, refs today just don't have any style. panic

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 13, 2008 12:49AM

daredevilcu

Seems reasonable to me.

The way I read it is that the ref has a choice: He can call the bench penalty immediately if the disruption is severe or he can issue a warning issue a warning, then call the penalty if the offenders do not desist.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2008 12:50AM by David Harding.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 13, 2008 01:44AM

David Harding
daredevilcu

Seems reasonable to me.

The way I read it is that the ref has a choice: He can call the bench penalty immediately if the disruption is severe or he can issue a warning issue a warning, then call the penalty if the offenders do not desist.

That's how I read it too. My sense of the whole thing is that Lynah elects to be proactive and probably a bit schoolmarmish about noise during play. Cheel prefers to let the bandies have their fun, though it is petty if they refuse to extend the privilege to the visitors (if the Clarkson band asked the rink staff to lighten up, that would probably help). In the end, though, most refs will probably elect to holster their whistles because the officials don't want to have a game decided by Bonesaw.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2008 02:19PM by ugarte.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: February 13, 2008 07:48AM

RichH
Tom Lento

WE WANT PIERRE!!
WE WANT PIERRE!!

Pierre (who I have heard has no hair) certainly had a flamboyant way of announcing that he was in charge of the game. Man, refs today just don't have any style. panic

And now that we're using a two-ref system again, we could have the return of the Pierre and Harry show.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: February 13, 2008 12:52PM

All Clarkson games are decided by the Bonesaw. Thus spake Randy "Macho Man" Savage. www.bonesaw.org -- there are some really hilarious things on that site. I'm a big fan of RPI's application for rivalry with Clarkson, myself. The Bonesaw history and technology are both good too.

Posted by: jts15 (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 13, 2008 03:15PM

News on Devin's suspension by ECAC.

[www.collegehockeynews.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login