Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

[OT] What's with the Arts School distrib. changes?

Posted by Greg Berge 
[OT] What's with the Arts School distrib. changes?
Posted by: Greg Berge (---)
Date: December 27, 2002 11:19PM

I got the Arts School flyer this month and it details changes in the graduation distribution requirements. Essentially, the categories we all know and love (social sciences, humanties, etc...) have been reshuffled into new categories with British Silly Party names (including my favorite, "Cognition, Knowledge, and Moral Reasoning," which sounds like something from Thoreau's days at the Harvard Divinity School).

Note the College also now offers a concentration in "Inequality."

They're against it.

So my question is, does anybody familiar with what's going on on the hill these days care to comment on the university politics behind it? Please, no broad-ranging rants about "what has academia come to these days" and yadda yadda. What would be a lot more interesting, if anybody knows details, is who won what pissing contest in what departments and how come?

Private email is fine, though a public airing would be a lot funnier.

Re: [OT] What's with the Arts School distrib. changes?
Posted by: Scott Kominkiewicz '84 (---)
Date: December 27, 2002 11:55PM

I don't know the answer, but I have another question. I received the newsletter today, and I read the dean's message. In it, he said that he previously announced his "involuntary resignation effective June 30, 2003." I'm curious to know the skinny on why the dean is resigning involuntarily. Another pissing contest?

The new categories don't bother me one bit. Just as Classical Lit is no longer a graduation requirement, I see no problem with re-shuffling the deck every few decades. I was amused though with the foreign language requirement, which seems pretty much unchanged except for the omission of terms like "proficiency." (I'm so grateful that I don't have to go through that again.) :-))

Date: December 28, 2002 12:15AM

I'm told by my fiancee that the change from "Women's Studies" to "Feminist Gender and Sexuality Studies" is merely us marching lockstep with Princeton (albeit behind a few beats). Apparently, "Women's Studies" now has approximately the same hemline currency as "Oriental Studies."

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---)
Date: December 28, 2002 01:31AM

Not a lot of information out there regarding the resignation, but the Sun had some relatively thorough coverage...

[cornelldailysun.com]

Posted by: Scott Kominkiewicz '84 (---)
Date: December 28, 2002 12:01PM

Interesting article from the Sun. Thanks for posting it. I think that Provost Biddy Martin should become the dean so that we could enjoy perhaps the funniest joke in Rodney Dangerfield's movie "Back to School."

Also, why did the Sun not capitalize the department name of Romance Studies at the end of the article? Beej, do you know if this is the Sun's typical style?

Posted by: littleredfan (---)
Date: December 28, 2002 12:24PM

I think the miscapitalization was an editorial error. Usually they do capitalize department names.

Posted by: Beeeej (---)
Date: December 28, 2002 12:28PM

Editorial sloppiness? Yes, that's very much the Sun's typical style.

Beeeej

Date: December 28, 2002 05:59PM

Do not bring down the dreadful wrath of the Sunnies upon you, Beeeej. This I have done in the past, but I have learned.

Editorial note: the Daily Sun is a fine paper and please direct all of your hatemail to [elf.hockey.cornell.edu]. Thank you.

Posted by: jy3 (---)
Date: January 04, 2003 12:17PM

so i have a question...
why do i not get this a&s flyer?
i think i graduated ;-) help

Posted by: marty (---)
Date: January 04, 2003 01:07PM

Yes but you graduated in the very hip PC but now oh so old "pre-neo feminist ultra moderne" era.

Face it - it's time to go back to school. Everything you know is wrong. The dean now has learned his lesson and is throwing in the towel.

Tradition sucks, history sucks, and genteel Division One Shuffle Board is just around the corner. nut

Date: January 04, 2003 01:44PM

While Cornell has been a lot of things, it has never been hip. :-D

I started getting the A&S mailings after I went to their page and filled out the "yeah, bug me" form. This particular form of self-abuse is not automatic.

Posted by: jy3 (---)
Date: January 04, 2003 07:12PM

gotcha. thanks greg

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login