Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Alumni in the Pros - February 2008

Posted by redhair34 
Alumni in the Pros - February 2008
Posted by: redhair34 (---.bc.edu)
Date: February 02, 2008 05:50PM

Thanks Doug for a little payback

[www2.nhl.com]

00:17 Murray, D. : Fighting (maj) - 5 min
00:17 Burish, A. : Fighting (maj) - 5 min

Re: Alumni in the Pros - February 2008
Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: February 02, 2008 07:51PM

Murray leaves todays Shark's game with a hip pointer. Reported to be day to day.

Posted by: Rita (---.agry.purdue.edu)
Date: February 02, 2008 07:56PM

I also saw the Sharks D-man Vlasic got his first goal of the season. That leaves Murray as the only shark playing 40+ games who does not have a goal.

Date: February 02, 2008 08:22PM

Rita
I also saw the Sharks D-man Vlasic got his first goal of the season. That leaves Murray as the only shark playing 40+ games who does not have a goal.
He had at least one good chance today on a delayed penalty but he's still looking for his first goal.

Posted by: Brian (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 02, 2008 09:55PM

redhair34
Thanks Doug for a little payback

[www2.nhl.com]

00:17 Murray, D. : Fighting (maj) - 5 min
00:17 Burish, A. : Fighting (maj) - 5 min

Can anybody find a video link to the fight that works??

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 02, 2008 10:01PM

Yeah he left with 7 minutes left in the second and then came back with 6 and then left again with 5 left. He seemed to be favoring his right leg. But the fight right and the start was awesome and we still got to see him after the game, so all went awesome.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: redhair34 (---.c3-0.nwt-ubr2.sbo-nwt.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: February 02, 2008 10:04PM

French Rage
Yeah he left with 7 minutes left in the second and then came back with 6 and then left again with 5 left. He seemed to be favoring his right leg. But the fight right and the start was awesome and we still got to see him after the game, so all went awesome.

What did he have to say?

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.dhcp.psdn.ca.charter.com)
Date: February 05, 2008 07:46PM

Moulson has picked up an assist in the first period against the Rangers with Brian Boyle scoring his 2nd goal in his 2nd NHL game. On another note, it cracks me up every time I see Matt try hitting someone in the NHL b/c it was something that was so rare at Cornell.

Posted by: jkahn (---.73.146.216.biz.sta.networkgci.net)
Date: February 06, 2008 11:17AM

Moulson (+4) and Murray (+18) each lead their respective teams in plus/minus. Perhaps this is a good argument as to why playing under Mike Schafer at Cornell is a good developmental path to the NHL - in both these cases for the full four years. Murray's +18 is outstanding considering the next best on the team is Thornton at +10 and the next best defenseman is McLaren at +4.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.rbccm.com)
Date: February 06, 2008 01:54PM

Murray may be out for a week per Ron Wilson.

Murray sidelined

Anyone know what is going on with Charlie Cook? Hockeydb.com seems to indicate that he was on HIFK Helsinki with Vesce but didn't play any games. He's now listed as playing for Sparta Praha.

Posted by: amerks127 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 06, 2008 11:34PM

In front of an announced paid attendance of 1098 fans, Iggy had a goal, an assist, was +3 on the night, and the game's 2nd star as Worcester rolled past Lowell 6-1.

The Sharks had 0 penalty minutes in the game. I'm not sure the last time that's happened.

Posted by: Roy 82 (128.18.14.---)
Date: February 07, 2008 02:19AM

redhair34
French Rage

What did he have to say?

He did a Q&A in front of the NorCal alumni group. Nobody asked about the injury.

The only questions and answers that I can remember (all paraphrased) were:
Q: Which do you enjoy playing in more, the Shark Tank or Lynah?
A: (without hesitation) Lynah ('cause the ceiling is low and the crowd is right on top of you.)

Q: Iggy, Moulson, or Lenny, who would you want as your next NHL teamate?
A: Iggy 'cause he is already in the Sharks system.

Q: How do you decide whether or not to fight someone?
A: You ask them if they want to go. It depends on the situation. Sometimes it is for a cheap shot and sometimes it is to spark your team.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: February 07, 2008 11:32AM

RatushnyFan
Murray may be out for a week per Ron Wilson.

Murray sidelined

Anyone know what is going on with Charlie Cook? Hockeydb.com seems to indicate that he was on HIFK Helsinki with Vesce but didn't play any games. He's now listed as playing for Sparta Praha.
And, naturally, with Murray out of the lineup the Sharks lost last night.

I was looking at HIFK's webpage the other day (I've decided the next jersey to add to my collection should be a Cornell alum playing on some European or minor league team with a really crazy, garish jersey) and I noticed that Cook was not on the roster, though I don't know when/why that happened. Does seem like Vesce is doing well in Finland, I think he's leading the team in scoring.

Cook is listed on Sparta Prague's roster but the team stats say he's only played two games. Seems like he had a decent season in Binghamton last year, not sure how he wound up bouncing between teams in Europe so quickly. Seems like he's the only North American on the team and Petr Nedved is the only name I recognize as having played over here - must be quite an adjustment for him.

Edit: Cook only just signed with Sparta, which is why he's only played those two games. Another American in Sparta - Charlie Cook (dated 1/28)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2008 11:36AM by Josh '99.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.rbccm.com)
Date: February 07, 2008 04:20PM

Interesting..........I wonder if he was waived from HIFK? Not sure how he's available mid-season otherwise (trade between HIFK and Sparta unlikely)?

From your link:
"Twenty-five-year-old defenseman came to Sparta from IFK Helsinki where he had played 38 matches and got 15 points (2+13). Cook signed a contract to the end of this season."

Date: February 07, 2008 05:47PM

RatushnyFan
Interesting..........I wonder if he was waived from HIFK? Not sure how he's available mid-season otherwise (trade between HIFK and Sparta unlikely)?

From your link:
"Twenty-five-year-old defenseman came to Sparta from IFK Helsinki where he had played 38 matches and got 15 points (2+13). Cook signed a contract to the end of this season."
Cook's 15 points would be 2nd highest among HIFK defensemen; seems like he was playing well. Sparta hasn't gotten a whole lot of offense from their defensemen this season; through 48 games, only one with more than 10 points. My guess is that Sparta bought his contract from HIFK - I think player transactions in European hockey work the same way as in soccer.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hortonpv.ul.warwick.net)
Date: February 08, 2008 10:43AM

Taking a break from watching the depressing Rangers, I caught LeNeveu and San Antonio taking on McCutcheon and Lake Erie in an AHL contest being shown last night on the NHL Network. I left it after 2 periods, deadlocked at 1-1. Lenny didn't have a lot of work, but he looked solid, and McC had a few nice moves in center ice.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 11, 2008 06:23PM

The good news about O'Byrne is that he's officially been recalled to the Canadiens from Hamilton (probably means he's healthy again).

The bad news is that Gleed was sent from Hamilton to Cincinnati of the ECHL.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 13, 2008 07:23PM

Update:

LA Kings assigned defenseman Peter Harrold and left wing Matt Moulson to Manchester of the American Hockey League.

Al DeFlorio
The good news about O'Byrne is that he's officially been recalled to the Canadiens from Hamilton (probably means he's healthy again).

Turns out not to have been such good news afterall, huh? ;)

Posted by: redice (---.156.153.245.Dial1.Boston1.Level3.net)
Date: February 13, 2008 08:34PM

Al DeFlorio

Ryan played Tuesday night against Tampa(??)

I only watched the early part of the game. In that time, he seemed to be taking a regular shift.

Posted by: Dianne 99 (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 14, 2008 01:04AM

Anybody know if Murray is back in the lineup? I'm going to tomorrow night's game. So far, I've yet to see Murray play a full game since he's been here due to various injuries or not being in the lineup. When I bought these tickets I was sure that I'd finally get to see him!

Date: February 14, 2008 02:28AM

Dianne 99
Anybody know if Murray is back in the lineup? I'm going to tomorrow night's game. So far, I've yet to see Murray play a full game since he's been here due to various injuries or not being in the lineup. When I bought these tickets I was sure that I'd finally get to see him!
I was wondering the same thing this afternoon so I checked the Sharks site looking for info. Their roster shows him as being on Injured Reserve, so I'm guessing the hip pointer injury turned out to be worse than originally thought.

I don't know whether to blame you for the injury or myself. I've never managed to see him in the lineup either, including last Friday night's game.

Re: Alumni in the Pros - February 2008 - woof?
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 14, 2008 09:08AM

KeithK
Dianne 99
I was wondering the same thing this afternoon so I checked the Sharks site looking for info. Their roster shows him as being on Injured Reserve, so I'm guessing the hip pointer injury turned out to be worse than originally thought.

I don't know whether to blame you for the injury or myself. I've never managed to see him in the lineup either, including last Friday night's game.

There will be some who believe woofing extends to the process of buying tickets to see a Cornellian play.

Date: February 14, 2008 10:56AM

billhoward
KeithK
Dianne 99

There will be some who believe woofing extends to the process of buying tickets to see a Cornellian play.
Well then it's Dianne's fault because I was just given my company's tickets last minute. So boo Dianne! :-)

Posted by: Dianne 99 (---.sonomatech.com)
Date: February 14, 2008 10:58AM

Hey, my friend Nichole bought the tickets and picked the date, so should we blame her instead? She only went to one or two games while at Cornell so maybe this is punishment for her being a bad hockey fan.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.courts.state.ny.us)
Date: February 14, 2008 12:03PM

billhoward
KeithK
Dianne 99

Oh? Will there? Care to provide some examples?

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: February 14, 2008 12:20PM

Josh '99
billhoward
KeithK
Dianne 99

Well, I believe I just blamed Dianne for Murray injury :-).

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 14, 2008 01:31PM

Dianne 99
Hey, my friend Nichole bought the tickets and picked the date, so should we blame her instead? She only went to one or two games while at Cornell so maybe this is punishment for her being a bad hockey fan.

Shirley MacLaine could woof herself from a previous incarnation or via her inner child. The possibilities for defusing blame could be endless. This could well be a segment on Oprah.

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: February 14, 2008 02:55PM

Josh '99
billhoward
KeithK
Dianne 99

Of the 3 Sharks games I've seen, Murray was in 2 of them, and in both of them he got injured.

Posted by: sah67 (---.65.171.66.subscriber.vzavenue.net)
Date: February 14, 2008 04:36PM

O'Byrne was injured the day after I purchased tickets to see him and the Canadiens in Boston. Some luck we're having trying to see our alums, eh?

Posted by: Dianne 99 (---.sonomatech.com)
Date: February 14, 2008 05:17PM

French Rage
Josh '99
billhoward
KeithK
Dianne 99

Of the 3 Sharks games I've seen, Murray was in 2 of them, and in both of them he got injured.

One of those was after watching the Cornell game at Logitech, right? When you, Roy, and I went? I guess I can share the blame for that one as well. I'll accept the blame for today's game, but at the season opener (my only other game this year), he was a healthy scratch, so my presence does not always result in injury.

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: February 14, 2008 08:56PM

Dianne 99
French Rage
Josh '99
billhoward
KeithK
Dianne 99

One of those was after watching the Cornell game at Logitech, right? When you, Roy, and I went? I guess I can share the blame for that one as well. I'll accept the blame for today's game, but at the season opener (my only other game this year), he was a healthy scratch, so my presence does not always result in injury.

Yep, that one; Jenny was there too. I've been to two, though, and only those two (of the ones where he played), I think others have at least seen him make it through a game healthy. For that matter, how meny games has he gotten injuries in so far?

Posted by: Larry72 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 14, 2008 09:56PM

Speaking of Douglas Murray, he and Frank Kovak (remember him!) along with Frank's wife, Jamie Reed aka "Fury" another Cornell Alum, and an "American Gladiator" are all referenced in this Sporting News article (about midway through).

[www.sportingnews.com]
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2008 09:58PM by Larry72.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 14, 2008 10:10PM

Larry72
Speaking of Douglas Murray, he and Frank Kovak (remember him!) along with Frank's wife, Jamie Reed aka "Fury" another Cornell Alum, and an "American Gladiator" are all referenced in this Sporting News article (about midway through).

[www.sportingnews.com]

Thanks, nice reading.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 15, 2008 05:22PM

KeithK
Dianne 99

Bummer. I've got tix to the Sharks - Flyers game Thursday. I was hoping to see Doug play. I guess not, huh?

You can also accuse me of being the one who angered the woofing gods, since I've had these tix since September. Altho I picked them up as part of my usual 11 game partial season ticket, not specifically for the SJ game, so that could excuse me.

Shane Hynes visits Dunkin Donuts
Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 16, 2008 01:37AM

The event was in January, but I just noticed it. "Shane Hynes visits Dunkin Donuts to support the Red Cross. [janggolan.blogspot.com]

He's still listed on the Portland roster [www.portlandpirates.com], but hasn't played a game all season [www.portlandpirates.com], presumably still recovering from his October broken foot. [www.allducks.com]

Re: Shane Hynes visits Dunkin Donuts
Posted by: oceanst41 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: February 16, 2008 01:12PM

David Harding
The event was in January, but I just noticed it. "Shane Hynes visits Dunkin Donuts to support the Red Cross. [janggolan.blogspot.com]

He's still listed on the Portland roster [www.portlandpirates.com], but hasn't played a game all season [www.portlandpirates.com], presumably still recovering from his October broken foot. [www.allducks.com]

Speaking of Dunkin Donuts, the Pirates played the Bruins at the Dunkin Donuts Center in Providence last night.

No Hynes, as you said, but Bitz played and recorded an assist on the Bruins second goal, while playing with the first PP unit.

Also of note was TJ Trevelyan playing against his former backstop Mike McKenna (McKenna got the better of that battle)

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 17, 2008 01:45PM

Murray is back in the lineup for the Sharks in their game against the Rangers today. Rangers broadcasters agree that they've missed his physical presence on the blue line.

Iggulden Called up to Sharks
Posted by: redhair34 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 18, 2008 02:33PM

[sharks.nhl.com]

Looks like he'll finally get a cup of coffee.

Have two Cornellians ever suited up on the same NHL team at the same time?

Edit: Murray and Iggulden are playing against the Islanders right now
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2008 02:47PM by redhair34.

Re: Iggulden Called up to Sharks
Date: February 18, 2008 04:38PM

redhair34
http://sharks.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=353920

Looks like he'll finally get a cup of coffee.

Edit: Murray and Iggulden are playing against the Islanders right now

Murray now in street clothes. He got a 5 min boarding penalty and a game misconduct.

Both Murray and Iggy were a -1 in a 3-2 loss.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 18, 2008 06:33PM

Rita
Murray now in street clothes. He got a 5 min boarding penalty and a game misconduct.
Borderline call. The result made the hit look worse than it was. A legit 2 minute penalty, but a game misconduct is a bit much.

Date: February 18, 2008 06:38PM

ugarte
Rita
Borderline call. The result made the hit look worse than it was. A legit 2 minute penalty, but a game misconduct is a bit much.

That is what the Shark's radio guys said in their post-game comments. I was at a seminar and didn't see or hear the play.

How did Iggy look? I think the post-game summary stats said he got ~ 7 min of ice time

Date: February 18, 2008 06:39PM

redhair34
Dave Elenbaas was a goalie in the Montreal system and I believe dressed as a backup to Dryden when called up in injury situations. He never played in an NHL regular season game however. He definitely played in preseason games, but I don't know if Dryden was dressed for those same games.
And following in Dryden's footsteps, Dave's now an attorney in Toronto.
[www.mcmillanbinch.com]

Posted by: metags (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: February 18, 2008 08:18PM

RE: Cornellians on the same NHL team - Doug Dadswell and Joe Nieuwendyk played together for the Calgary Flames in the 1987-88 season.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 18, 2008 08:42PM

Rita
ugarte
Rita

That is what the Shark's radio guys said in their post-game comments. I was at a seminar and didn't see or hear the play.

How did Iggy look? I think the post-game summary stats said he got ~ 7 min of ice time
I only watched about 5 minutes of the game. I saw the Isles take the lead, then Murray got sent off and I stopped watching.

Posted by: amerks127 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 18, 2008 10:41PM

Mark McCutcheon recorded an assist as Lake Erie rolled over Syracuse 5-0.

The important statistic, however, is that Syracuse had 132 more penalty minutes in the game than Lake Erie. That has to be close to a record.

[stats.theahl.com]

Posted by: Rita (---.dhcp.insightbb.com)
Date: February 19, 2008 09:02AM

ugarte
Rita

I saw the replay last night and yeah, I also thought he deserved 2 min. I wonder if the fact that he skated across the ice to finish the check factored into McCreary giving him 5 and the game misconduct?. Sometimes that happens.. you pick up a guy and have the better angle on him and even if he cuts across the ice, you stick with him rather than pass him off to your D partner.

Islander fans shouldn't be too mad at Douglas; when he got beat on that 3rd goal, Islander fans can get a free bowl of chili today at Wendy's.

Date: February 19, 2008 02:49PM

That's good almost-free publicity for Wendy's, since there are only like six people who'd be willing to say "Go Islanders" in a public place.

Posted by: rojo (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 19, 2008 05:36PM

Here Today, Gone ...

And I was thinking of heading out to the Rock tomorrow night to see Iggy.

Sharks Reassign Center Mike Iggulden To Worcester San Jose Sharks Staff Feb 19, 2008, 5:08 PM EST

SAN JOSE, Calif. – San Jose Sharks Executive Vice President and General Manager Doug Wilson announced today that the club has reassigned center Mike Iggulden to the Worcester Sharks of the American Hockey League, San Jose’s top development affiliate.

Iggulden made his NHL debut yesterday against the New York Islanders and did not register a point. He currently leads Worcester in points, goals and assists, having notched 43 points (18 goals, 25 assists) in 49 games. He is also tied for second on the team with six power play goals. He was Worcester’s lone representative at the 2008 AHL All-Star Game where he played for the Canadian team.

The six-foot-three, 215-pound native of St. Catharines, Ontario, was signed as a free agent by San Jose on Jan. 16, 2006.

Re: Alumni in the Pros - February 2008 - O'byrne gets a point
Posted by: sah67 (---.65.171.66.subscriber.vzavenue.net)
Date: February 19, 2008 11:41PM

O'Byrne had an assist tonight and was +3 in the Habs' stunning 6-5 shootout victory over the Rangers. Stunning, considering they were down 5-0 in the middle of the second.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2008 11:42PM by sah67.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (155.72.24.---)
Date: February 20, 2008 09:23AM

Josh '99
That's good almost-free publicity for Wendy's, since there are only like six people who'd be willing to say "Go Islanders" in a public place.

One for each goal of the Habs' comeback.

Posted by: cbuckser (---.dsl.scrm01.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 20, 2008 10:02AM

For me, the worst thing about the Rangers beating the Canucks in game 7 nearly 14 years ago is the death of the "1940" chant.

Date: February 20, 2008 10:36AM

cbuckser
For me, the worst thing about the Rangers beating the Canucks in game 7 nearly 14 years ago is the death of the "1940" chant.
So are you glad that some people still use it even though it makes no sense anymore?

Date: February 20, 2008 11:48AM

sah67
O'Byrne had an assist tonight and was +3 in the Habs' stunning 6-5 shootout victory over the Rangers. Stunning, considering they were down 5-0 in the middle of the second.
Last night's game brought back fond memories of my favorite Habs comeback, perfectly appropriate for the "Alumni in the Pros" thread. In Game 2 of the 1971 Stanley Cup playoffs first round vs. Boston, Habs were down one game and losing 5-1 despite an amazing save after amazing save by Ken Dryden keeping them in the game. Canadiens come back and win 7-5 at Boston Garden and go on to eliminate the defending Stanley Cup champs in 7. Dryden, a late season call-up who played only six regular season games, plays all 20 in the playoffs and wins the Conn Smythe Trophy. The next season he wins the Calder Trophy as rookie of the year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2008 11:49AM by jkahn.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: February 20, 2008 12:23PM

cbuckser

Yeah, I miss that one too. :`-(

Posted by: daredevilcu (---.dsl1.nor.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 20, 2008 03:04PM

Has any other Rookie of the Year in the NHL won the Conn Smythe BEFORE getting the Calder? That's pretty awesome.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 20, 2008 03:19PM

daredevilcu
Has any other Rookie of the Year in the NHL won the Conn Smythe BEFORE getting the Calder? That's pretty awesome.
I believe Dryden was the first. Haven't paid close enough attention to know if someone's done it since.

Date: February 20, 2008 03:33PM

Al DeFlorio
daredevilcu
I believe Dryden was the first. Haven't paid close enough attention to know if someone's done it since.
Stands to reason that Dryden was the first, since the Conn Smythe Trophy is fairly new in comparison to other NHL awards; Dryden was only its seventh winner. I'm pretty sure nobody has since replicated his feat, though. Looking at the list of Conn Smythe Trophy winners, I can't pick out a single one who was even eligible to win the Calder Trophy the following year. (Cam Ward comes close, having played 28 regular season games in 2005-06, the cutoff being 25, but in any case he had a sophomore slump in 2006-07 and made it a moot point.)

Re: Alumni in the Pros - Murray Scores!!
Date: February 21, 2008 09:04PM

Rita

Not anymore!! :-)

Tonight v. the Flyers to make it a 3-1 Sharks early in the 3rd. banana

I'm listening to the game and it sounds like his shot from the point deflected off a flyer.

Yeah Douglas!

Posted by: redhair34 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 21, 2008 09:09PM

Rita
Rita

Not anymore!! :-)

Tonight v. the Flyers to make it a 3-1 Sharks early in the 3rd. banana

I'm listening to the game and it sounds like his shot from the point deflected off a flyer.

Yeah Douglas!

Way to go Doug!!

Date: February 21, 2008 09:46PM

Sharks hang on for the 3-1 win and Murray gets the 3rd star of the game from the radio crew. The radio guys also plugged the fact that Douglas went to Cornell and probably had some fans in the crowd.

Here's a description of the goal from the NHL.com website.

"Michalek's 20th goal seemed to trickle through Martin Biron's legs for a 2-1 lead only 3:35 into the third. The Sharks needed only 42 seconds to score again, this time when Murray's first career goal appeared to bounce off Biron into the net like a basketball bank shot."
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2008 09:49PM by Rita.

Murray scores his first NHL goal
Posted by: CUontheslopes (---.com)
Date: February 21, 2008 10:23PM

Murray gets his first one in a 3-1 win over the Flyers.

[sharks.nhl.com]

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: February 26, 2008 10:51AM

I'm not starting a new thread for this, but as I sit here reading Jay Onrait's Trade Deadline blog in this hockey coverage-starved country, I found this amusing:

Duthie asks the panel for their Top 5 Stanley Cup picks.

Mad Mike [Milbury]: 1. Red Wings; 2. Stars; 3. Ducks; 4. Devils; 5. Canadiens/Penguins.

Milbury defends his use of six teams by saying: "Colgate is not an Ivy League school. I can't count."

Sharks Trade
Date: February 26, 2008 02:19PM

The Sharks picked up Brian Campbell from Buffalo today, which may impact the playing time of Doug Murray.
Full Trade: Campbell and a 7th round draft choice for Steve Bernier and a 1st round pick.

Re: Coyotes' Trade
Posted by: cbuckser (134.186.175.---)
Date: February 26, 2008 03:19PM

TSN is reporting that the Coyotes traded David LeNeveu and others to the Rangers for Al Montoya and Marcel Hossa.

Posted by: Ronald '09 (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 26, 2008 03:22PM

David Leneveu traded to the rags as part of a deal including Marcel Hossa and Al Montoya per TSN, so I won't be able to root for him anymore. I would assume he'll be playing for the Wolfpack, although maybe he's better than Steve Valiquette.

If I'm not mistaken he signed a one year deal before the season right? Is he a UFA or RFA at the end of the year or am I mistaken?

Damn someone beat me to it.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2008 03:22PM by Ronald '09.

LeNeveu Traded To Rangers
Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.gunnery.org)
Date: February 26, 2008 03:20PM

In a five player deal that has Montoya going the other way. The other Hossa was moved to Phoenix with Josh Gratton and Freddie Sjostrom headed to New York.

Re: LeNeveu Traded To Rangers
Date: February 26, 2008 03:27PM

IIRC he had one of his better games in net last year against the Rangers.

Date: February 26, 2008 03:33PM

Am I missing something or did the Rangers get fleeced in that deal? Or has Montoya's stock fallen that much this season?

Date: February 26, 2008 03:39PM

Fleeced badly.

Date: February 26, 2008 03:45PM

calgARI '07
Fleeced badly.
I'm kinda thinking the same thing, I'm having a hard time figuring this one out.

Date: February 26, 2008 03:50PM

Yes and no. Montoya was already pretty much #2 in Hartford. I think his stock has dropped precipitously in the last couple months. I don't personally see the need for Gratton, but I guess Sjostrom has at least more potential to do something at the NHL level than Montoya (or Hossa) ever would with the Rangers. I don't think it's a great trade (for either team, really) but I don't think anyone got fleeced.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.caltech.edu)
Date: February 26, 2008 03:51PM

Montoya has chronic injury problems and has yet to prove himself capable of playing in the NHL, so I think his stock is down to pretty much nothing.

Date: February 26, 2008 04:00PM

Pretty lateral in terms of Sjostrom for Hossa. Both pretty ineffective players with scoring touch. Interestingly, 3 former first round picks and one former 2nd go in this deal - all four have been busts to this point. Gratton is a Holweg type with a little bit ability to get around the ice. Not sure what the point in bringing him in is either.

Date: February 26, 2008 04:00PM

Rough day for Moulson as it looks like the Kings kept all of their forwards

Date: February 26, 2008 04:06PM

Sjostrom has 10 goals this year and, even though paltry, at least has improved his goal production year-to-year. He's 2 years younger and Hossa has all of one goal this year. So at the NHL level, I think the Rangers are a bit better off after the trade. Whether they got good value for Montoya is obviously widely debatable.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.caltech.edu)
Date: February 26, 2008 04:27PM

redhair34
Rough day for Moulson as it looks like the Kings kept all of their forwards

They didn't really have any prospects to move anyone since Nagy was out and everyone else is useless. Hopefully Thornton and Willsie will be gone after this season, and one can only hope they can get rid of Nagy. Boyle, Purcell, and Moulson should all get a decent shot at the NHL next year for the Kings.

Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: February 26, 2008 04:34PM

Anything interesting about the Rangers backup goalie situation? Does Lenny have any chance of getting to the NHL? (I know enough that I don't expect him to get a starting role...)

Posted by: Cactus12 (---.med.nyu.edu)
Date: February 26, 2008 04:35PM

This move doesn't really do much for either team. Montoya was not going to draw anything big- case of AHL overexposure in my opinion. They could have had Lundqvist extended last year and moved Montoya for a bit more (but I guess not doing that allowed for gomez/drury acquisition, so can't really argue management there).

As for LeNeveu... I think he's going to be Wolfpack for quite some time. Lundqvist plays a ton of games. Valiquette starts occasionally for the next-day games and against some power forward teams (flyers), and has really done a good job of it. Backup goalie hasn't really been an issue at all. LeNeveu's NHL future is not looking great if he stays with the Rangers for any length of time.

Date: February 26, 2008 05:15PM

calgARI '07
Pretty lateral in terms of Sjostrom for Hossa. Both pretty ineffective players with scoring touch.
Disagree - Hossa's lack of scoring touch is why he hasn't caught on anywhere yet. He cycles well, finishes some checks, can kill penalties... but finishing is not his strong suit.

Now that I've calmed down a bit, it's nice to have a Cornellian in the Rangers' system. I guess I could see him potentially competing to back up Lundqvist in training camp before next season.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 26, 2008 06:38PM

Its been discussed, but yes, Montoya's stock has dropped significantly. I grew up in Ct and my dad happened to bring it up in some context recently and mentioned that he'd lost the starting spot on the Wolfpack.

Posted by: cbuckser (134.186.175.---)
Date: February 27, 2008 12:49PM

I saw this video of Ryan O'Byrne's textbook hip check on Jarkko Ruutu last week:

Date: February 27, 2008 01:02PM

Cactus12
LeNeveu's NHL future is not looking great if he stays with the Rangers for any length of time.

Maybe so, but his NHL future looks better with the Rangers, or really another team that may have landed him, than it did with the Coyotes.

With Montoya headed to the San Antonio Rampage and unavailable for comment, AHL rookie Miika Wiikman (15-5-1-3, 2.32 goals-against average, .917 save percentage) became the Pack's No. 1 goalie. But he'll be pushed by LeNeveu, 24, a second-round pick by Phoenix in 2002.

LeNeveu was an AHL All-Star with Springfield in 2003-04 and had a 9-7-3 record, 2.66 GAA and .911 save percentage with the Rampage this season. He's 5-9-2 with a 3.38 GAA in 21 career games with Phoenix, where he worked with Benoit Allaire, the Rangers' goaltenders coach.

"Wiikman's development had something to do with [trading Montoya]," Rangers GM Glen Sather said during a teleconference call. "But there also was the opportunity to get LeNeveu, who had a really good record in the AHL when he was working with Benoit in Phoenix. He sees him as a very good prospect who has a chance to develop into a No. 1 in the NHL. He has been anxious for us to make a deal to get him, but Wiikman's development has certainly helped this opportunity."

[www.courant.com]

Date: February 27, 2008 01:33PM

So it sounds like LeNeveu has an advocate in the Rangers organization. It'll take more than that to get him a spot in the NHL but it's probably a lot better than having coaches that don't like you.

Date: February 27, 2008 02:24PM

KeithK
So it sounds like LeNeveu has an advocate in the Rangers organization. It'll take more than that to get him a spot in the NHL...
But it's probably enough to get the Rangers to re-up him for another year and see what he has to offer since he's an unrestricted free agent this summer. And Allaire knows his stuff, so it makes me happy that he thinks Lenny still has that kind of potential.

Re: Sharks Trade
Date: February 27, 2008 07:50PM

jkahn
The Sharks picked up Brian Campbell from Buffalo today, which may impact the playing time of Doug Murray.
Full Trade: Campbell and a 7th round draft choice for Steve Bernier and a 1st round pick.
In SJ's first match since acquiring Campbell, Murray remains in the lineup but early on is -1 (game tied 1-1 after 1) and has taken an elbowing penalty. Kyle McLaren is day-to-day with a knee injury at the moment but once he's ready to go I'm going to guess that Douglas will be the odd man out.

Posted by: redhair34 (136.167.248.---)
Date: February 27, 2008 08:03PM

Josh '99
Kyle McLaren is day-to-day with a knee injury at the moment but once he's ready to go I'm going to guess that Douglas will be the odd man out.

I doubt it.

Date: February 27, 2008 08:44PM

redhair34
Josh '99
Kyle McLaren is day-to-day with a knee injury at the moment but once he's ready to go I'm going to guess that Douglas will be the odd man out.

I doubt it.
When Murray came back from his recent hip injury there were a number of quotes from the team to the effect that they had really missed his physical presence. Some may be boilerplate commentary but it does seem like he has established himself as a solid part of the team this year. Obviously we'll see when and if the rest of the blueline gets healthy but I'd bet that he'll still get playing time.

Date: February 28, 2008 12:07PM

KeithK
redhair34
Josh '99

I doubt it.
When Murray came back from his recent hip injury there were a number of quotes from the team to the effect that they had really missed his physical presence. Some may be boilerplate commentary but it does seem like he has established himself as a solid part of the team this year. Obviously we'll see when and if the rest of the blueline gets healthy but I'd bet that he'll still get playing time.
I asked a Sharks fan I know and he speculated that if everyone is healthy, Murray, Carle and Ehrhoff would rotate being healthy scratches, with McLaren getting the odd day off to help him stay healthy for the playoffs. Could be wrong though - they did miss his physical presence when Murray was out.

Date: February 28, 2008 12:56PM

Josh '99
I asked a Sharks fan I know and he speculated that if everyone is healthy, Murray, Carle and Ehrhoff would rotate being healthy scratches, with McLaren getting the odd day off to help him stay healthy for the playoffs. Could be wrong though - they did miss his physical presence when Murray was out.

I'd be shocked if Ehrhoff sits in order to get McLaren in the lineup.

FWIW (admittedly not much at all)..."Murray or McLaren" [hfboards.com]

This was a make or break it year for Doug and he's clearly made it. I don't think he's been a healthy scratch at all since the beginning of the season. He's consistently getting #4/5 Dman ice time and has dramatically improved his skating and decision-making. In last night's game he was paired pretty much exclusively with Brian Campbell.

Date: February 28, 2008 01:20PM

redhair34
This was a make or break it year for Doug and he's clearly made it. I don't think he's been a healthy scratch at all since the beginning of the season. He's consistently getting #4/5 Dman ice time and has dramatically improved his skating and decision-making. In last night's game he was paired pretty much exclusively with Brian Campbell.
That's a good pairing. If that remains the case, here is a projection of Murray's offensive numbers. :-D

Date: February 28, 2008 01:30PM

Josh '99
redhair34
That's a good pairing. If that remains the case, here is a projection of Murray's offensive numbers. :-D

Not bad:-P Now relate Beukeboom to another Cornellian.

Date: February 28, 2008 01:56PM

redhair34
In his first couple of years Murray's game pretty much centered around delivering big hits. That got him onto the roster because the Sharks needed the physical presence but wasn't enough to earn a lot of playing time. This year he's become a much more well rounded defenseman. He still hits but he's not going out of his way to hit in situations where skating and positioning make for better defense (better decisions as redhair said).

Date: February 28, 2008 02:32PM

redhair34
Josh '99
redhair34

Not bad:-P Now relate Beukeboom to another Cornellian.
Joe Nieuwendyk is married to Beuk's sister.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 29, 2008 10:48PM

redhair34
Josh '99

I'd be shocked if Ehrhoff sits in order to get McLaren in the lineup.

FWIW (admittedly not much at all)..."Murray or McLaren" [hfboards.com]

In tonight's 3-2 win over the Wings, Douglas played the second-most minutes of any SJ defenseman.

Date: March 01, 2008 11:18PM

Dave LeNeveu got his debut for Hartford tonight. Made 30 saves on 32 shots and was named the #2 star; unfortunately, his opposite number, former UMass goalie Jon Quick, made 37 saves on 38 shots and was the #1 star. Too bad Lenny didn't benefit from the same offensive output the Wolfpack put up last night (6 goals) but it looks like it was a pretty good performance.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.dhcp.psdn.ca.charter.com)
Date: March 01, 2008 11:25PM

Josh '99
Dave LeNeveu got his debut for Hartford tonight. Made 30 saves on 32 shots and was named the #2 star; unfortunately, his opposite number, former UMass goalie Jon Quick, made 37 saves on 38 shots and was the #1 star. Too bad Lenny didn't benefit from the same offensive output the Wolfpack put up last night (6 goals) but it looks like it was a pretty good performance.

Keep in mind that the Monarchs are the Kings minor team, so they must suck. :) (at least I assume it was the Monarchs based on Quick's name. Did Moulson happen to hit the score sheet?)

Date: March 01, 2008 11:31PM

Jacob '06
Keep in mind that the Monarchs are the Kings minor team, so they must suck. :) (at least I assume it was the Monarchs based on Quick's name. Did Moulson happen to hit the score sheet?)
Actually, yes. Scored the GWG 6:27 into the 3rd.

Edit to add: Box score
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2008 11:32PM by Josh '99.

Posted by: PAthologicalLynah (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 01, 2008 11:45PM

Josh '99
Jacob '06

Oh, the humanity. The Habs play the Sharks on Monday, maybe O'Byrne and Murray can duke it out.

Date: March 01, 2008 11:48PM

PAthologicalLynah
Josh '99
Jacob '06

Oh, the humanity. The Habs play the Sharks on Monday, maybe O'Byrne and Murray can duke it out.
Murray missed tonight's game with the flu, hopefully he'll be back into the lineup soon.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login