Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Colgate 1 at Cornell 2 - Postgame

Posted by sah67 
Colgate 1 at Cornell 2 - Postgame
Posted by: sah67 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 01, 2008 09:40PM

And again, they cut off the radio feed before Jason's done and before we even hear the 3 stars.

Really fun game. Phenomenal performance by Scrivens, and there's not much really to be said about Greening...fantastic!

Hope Fontas and M. Kennedy are ok for tomorrow night.

Re: Colgate 1 at Cornell 2 - Postgame
Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 01, 2008 09:42PM

Agreed on all points. That was one of the best single effort goals I've ever seen.

Posted by: upperdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 01, 2008 09:43PM

greening seemed to play with an extra step 3-4 times tonight..

Posted by: redhair34 (---.c3-0.nwt-ubr2.sbo-nwt.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: February 01, 2008 09:47PM

That was the best game of the year. I LOVED how we gutted it out there during the third without two centers and two pkers--fantastic effort all around. This is the kind of game that could really get this team going; hopefully we'll look back at tonight as a turning point.

as Ari would say "no passengers" tonight

My 3 Stars:

1) Greening
2) Scrivens
3) Winchester
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2008 09:47PM by redhair34.

Date: February 01, 2008 09:47PM

Out of town:

Brown 4 Harvard 2, final
Quinnipiac 3 RPI 2, final
Union 4 Princeton 3, final
Yale 6 Dartmouth 3, final
Clarkson at Colorado College, not yet started

Date: February 01, 2008 09:49PM

Trotsky
Out of town:

Brown 4 Harvard 2, final
Quinnipiac 3 RPI 2, final
Yale 6 Dartmouth 3, final
Clarkson at Colorado College, not yet started

Tech is up 1-0 on CC in the 1st.

February 1st and Bruno finally manages their 2nd win of the year...and it's against Sucks!
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2008 09:51PM by sah67.

Posted by: lynah80 (165.123.95.---)
Date: February 01, 2008 09:53PM

I think tonight's game was a great win for Cornell. Scrivens looked great, especially on some of the saves against Winchester. Winchester was skating on two different lines and may be a little worn out for tomorrow's game. We will have to see. I think the refs should have called a tighter game and put more guys in the box for contact to the head, hitting from behind and hitting after the whistle. The missed calls seemed to favor Colgate, but obviously, I am biased.

Posted by: RichH (76.28.11.---)
Date: February 01, 2008 09:53PM

sah67
And again, they cut off the radio feed before Jason's done and before we even hear the 3 stars.

I wonder why RedCast is allowed to take the picture from Time Warner but not the sound. It would've been nice to hear the interviews from Greening et al.

Of course, Jason did have the description of the night...something to the effect of 'you got the feeling that if Greening had to skate through a brick wall to get that puck, he would have.' He got hooked, had to dodge a broken stick in his path, and then a half-deke of the defender to sneak off the wrister and beat Dex to the glove side. Marvelous. I loved Greening's reaction and Topher chasing him down after the winner.

Entertaining game...bodies flying, sticks breaking, swooping forwards. Good stuff. Still a letdown for the Red when Colgate seemed to dominate much of the 2nd.

I saw how Kennedy got shaken up. What happened to Fontas?

5 teams within a point of each other. Could've been 6 but Harvard...well...Harvard sucks. Losing to a 1-win team.

Date: February 01, 2008 09:54PM

Girlfriend who was in attendance informs me that about 6 Colgate fans were ejected throughout the game.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: February 01, 2008 09:58PM

Trotsky
Out of town:

If the box score is right, Princeton scored THREE extra attacker goals while allowing no empty netters. [www.uscho.com]

Posted by: scannon (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 01, 2008 09:58PM

I talked to a gate fan who said that they were ejected for standing, let back in when they showed that standing is not prohibited on the back of the ticket and then finally kicked out when they were told that it did say they could be kicked out for any reason whatsoever.flipc

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 01, 2008 10:03PM

Chris '03
Trotsky
Out of town:

If the box score is right, Princeton scored THREE extra attacker goals while allowing no empty netters. [www.uscho.com]
From the timing, it looks like the first two must've been during delayed penalties (i.e. no potential for an empty netter), but it's still pretty impressive.

Now what we need is for Princeton to find a way to lose a few Ivy games.

Date: February 01, 2008 10:06PM

Chris '03
Trotsky
Out of town:

Pulling the goalie with nearly 7 mins left in the period? Might as well I guess when you're already down 4-0 and have a pp.

Date: February 01, 2008 10:08PM

Josh '99
Chris '03
Trotsky
Out of town:

From the timing, it looks like the first two must've been during delayed penalties (i.e. no potential for an empty netter), but it's still pretty impressive.

Now what we need is for Princeton to find a way to lose a few Ivy games.

According to the collegehockeystats.net box score (which shows penalties), none of the EAGs seem to be on delayed penalties, unless Princeton managed to maintain possession for 1 minute 38 seconds, seeing as the first EAG was at 12:58, and the penalty was called back at 11:20.

[collegehockeystats.net]
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2008 10:10PM by sah67.

Posted by: Rita (---.dhcp.insightbb.com)
Date: February 01, 2008 10:08PM

Excellent game!! Scrivens had some very big saves.

Though I am wondering if the woofing Gods can read minds. Right before the Colgate PPG, I was thinking (to myself) that this might be the night Scrivens steals a game for us, especially considering that Colgate had the bulk of the play in the second and we had missed on some good chances.

Then Colgate scored and I felt like the announcer that mentions "no hitter" in the 9th inning.

Greening had a great game. I hope the TWC announcers have him back on for tomorrow night's intermission interviews. :).

Posted by: upperdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 01, 2008 10:10PM

colgate fans have had an issue over the years of really making it hard for others to see especially during playoff games... Was this in section O again? one year they moved all the section season ticket holders down in front before colgate came so they could stand all they wanted behind them..

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 01, 2008 10:13PM

sah67
According the collegehockeystats.net box score (which shows penalties), none of the EAGs seem to be on delayed penalties, unless Princeton managed to maintain possession for 1 minute 38 seconds, seeing as the first EAG was at 12:58, and the penalty was called back at 11:20.

Try again, sah - the 'penalty time' isn't until the whistle blows to end play. I don't know if its what happened or not, but it could have been a delayed penalty that was about to cause a 5x3, and so they had an extra attacker - so the man power on the ice was 6x4 - hence EA/PPG.

Or maybe they did indeed just pull the goalie. Perhaps the recap will tell us for sure.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2008 10:14PM by DeltaOne81.

Date: February 01, 2008 10:17PM

The box shows 4.5 minutes of empty net time for Princeton. Impressive to not let up a single SOG for that long.

Posted by: lynah80 (165.123.95.---)
Date: February 01, 2008 10:26PM

Personally, I think it's better if the TV media leaves the players alone during intermission. It breaks their concentration and separates them from the team when they should be talking about strategies that their opponents are using. Also, you never know who needs to have a pad adjusted or an "unmentionable" changed, etc during intermission. I like the fact that Jason records his interviews before the games. It shows a lot of respect for the players.

Posted by: Rita (---.dhcp.insightbb.com)
Date: February 01, 2008 10:33PM

sah67

Tech is up 1-0 on CC in the 1st.

February 1st and Bruno finally manages their 2nd win of the year...and it's against Sucks!

North Dakota beats the Gophers in Minnesota 2-1 in OT. The player who scored the game winner looked like he dived and batted the puck in.. sort of like a second baseman diving for a low line drive.

Date: February 01, 2008 10:36PM

With the win, Schafer is now 98th alltime in wins for a D-1 coach. Note that fellow active ECAC coaches Pecknold, Gaudet and Vaugh are all in the 90's. Mike is currently 45th alltime in winning percentage.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2008 10:38PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: February 01, 2008 10:40PM

Trotsky
With the win, Schafer is now 98th alltime in wins for a D-1 coach. Note that fellow active ECAC coaches Pecknold, Gaudet and Vaugh are all in the 90's. Mike is currently 45th alltime in winning percentage.

He's probably be up to 96th or so by now; the list you linked to doesn't include the current season's wins.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Jacob 03 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 01, 2008 11:35PM

Trotsky
The box shows 4.5 minutes of empty net time for Princeton. Impressive to not let up a single SOG for that long.
I remember an abysmal weekend when Cornell did that on Friday and then for two more minutes on Saturday.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: February 01, 2008 11:47PM

Jacob 03
Trotsky
I remember an abysmal weekend when Cornell did that on Friday and then for two more minutes on Saturday.

Apparently it was closer to six minutes of empty net that sorry new jersey night.

Posted by: Avash (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: February 01, 2008 11:50PM

The Princeton extra-attacker goals were not on delayed penalties; if they were, the collegehockeystats.net box score would say EA DP (e.g. [www.collegehockeystats.net] )

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 01, 2008 11:58PM

DeltaOne81
sah67
According the collegehockeystats.net box score (which shows penalties), none of the EAGs seem to be on delayed penalties, unless Princeton managed to maintain possession for 1 minute 38 seconds, seeing as the first EAG was at 12:58, and the penalty was called back at 11:20.

Try again, sah - the 'penalty time' isn't until the whistle blows to end play. I don't know if its what happened or not, but it could have been a delayed penalty that was about to cause a 5x3, and so they had an extra attacker - so the man power on the ice was 6x4 - hence EA/PPG.

Or maybe they did indeed just pull the goalie. Perhaps the recap will tell us for sure.

Boxscore
Princeton Goaltending  	1st 	2nd 	3rd 	Total 	Minutes GA
 Zane Kalemba (L,9-6-0)	10 	5 	0 	15 	36:43 	4
 Thomas Sychterz  	0 	0 	1 	1 	15:37 	0
 EMPTY NET  				        0 	0:38 	0
 Thomas Sychterz  	0 	0 	0 	0 	0:58 	0
 EMPTY NET  				        0 	0:54 	0
 Thomas Sychterz  	0 	0 	1 	1 	1:55 	0
 EMPTY NET  				        0 	3:15 	0 
So, a penalty was called at 11:20 of the third, which started a power play and then one minute later, Sychterz left the ice. That had to be because It was about to be 5x3, but Princeton scored the EAG 38 seconds later.

After the goal, he came out again for 58 seconds and then left the ice and Princeton got another EAG 54 seconds later. Sounds like another delayed penalty to me, because Sychterz came out for two more minutes after that at which point he came off for good, and Princeton protected the empty net for over 3 minutes, which is impressive in itself.

Edit: Unless Avash is right. Since it makes sense to send the goalie out to make sure that P would wait to win the faceoff/get possession before pulling the goalie.

Edit: The Princeton recap doesn't mention any delayed penalty - but also really underplays how impressive 7 minutes of protecting an empty net is.

Edit: Neither does the Union recap, so props to Avash. Union's recapper was similarly blase about Princeton pulling its goalie with 7 minutes to go.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2008 12:10AM by ugarte.

Defensemen playing goal?
Date: February 02, 2008 01:37AM

Somewhat related to the discussion of pulling goalies, I was reading Big Red Puckhead's nightly recaps of games featuring Cornell recruits, and the score of 13-4 stood out, with the Hamilton Red Wings defeating Oakville (with 2008 recruit Braden Birch on their roster).

Out of curiosity I looked up the game recap on Hamilton's website, and found the following quote:

"Scott Greenham started in net for Oakville and made 10 saves before he was pulled in favour of Oliver Wren at 14:49 in the first period. Wren made 17 saves and was ejected from the game at the end of the second period for receiving an abuse of officials game misconduct. Greenham was unable to come back into net in the third period due to injury. Defenceman Scott Judson was forced to go in net. He played the whole period and made six saves."

Has anyone heard of a defenseman (or forward for that matter) being forced to play goal in a situation like this? Does the NCAA rulebook even deal with such a situation?

I'm just glad we have DiLeo around on the bench ;)

Missed Penalties
Posted by: lynah80 (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 02, 2008 04:55AM

I think there were a number of significant penalties that weren't called last night.

1) At 13:15 in the second period, Scali was mauled by a Colgate player. The Colgate player jumped on his back, wrapped his arm around Joe and pulled him down to the ice. It wasn't subtle.

2) The hit on M Kennedy at 12:59 in the 3rd period looked like "contact to the head" to me. I've watched the replay several times and I don't agree with Jason that it was a clean hit. It was too high. Why would Kennedy stay down on the ice for so long if his head wasn't hit?

3) At 12:30 in the third period Joe Scali charged the net and was clearly tripped. 13 Seconds later, Mugford was called for cross-checking, which led to the Colgate goal.

4) Punches were thrown several times by players from both teams during scuffles. That warrants 5 minutes.

The black and white need to call a tighter game tonight in Hamilton, not only because it impacts the outcome of the game, but more important, because the safety of the players depends on it.

Posted by: Trigger (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 02, 2008 10:59AM

According to goalie stats, there was a netminder for about 55 minutes, which means it is possible that Princeton pulled the sieve with 7 left, and only put him back periodically when there was a face-off in their own end. I'm surprised they'd do that when down 4 goals in a non-playoff game, but that shows Princeton will aggressively pursue wins against anyone.

Date: February 02, 2008 11:02AM

It had to happen one of these games. A few years ago, at Starr, their chant of choice was simply "f&%$ You Cor-Nell". Figured that could get an entire section kicked out of Lynah. And NO, I don't think Colgate students are smart enough not to do something that idiotic.

Re: Missed Penalties
Posted by: BCrespi (---.ny5030.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 02, 2008 11:04AM

Indeed, it must have been very frustrating for Scali who seemed to be on the receiving end of a ton of penalties with nothing to show for it. It's a testament to his character and game that he just kept playing hard the whole night. I thought Joe was one of the best players on the ice last night.

I was livid after there was no tripping call on Scali's drive to the net followed immediately by that Mugford penalty which they tied the game on. Luckily the guys kept playing hard and got the goal.

I thought there was a lot of stuff missed both ways, and I'm not one who usually gets on the referees. That said, I thought Colgate saw the lion's share of no-calls and Cornell was the victim of a few phantom plays. Time Warner's feed had a bunch of great replays and nice angles behind the goals. Too bad we can't get that feed for the webcast more often.

Date: February 02, 2008 11:06AM

Greening was great last weekend too. He scored both goals against Yale, and was the reason for both goals against Gate. He did make a poor play in the Yale game, taking the body on the Yale forward, missing him, and allowing a 2-on-1 that tied the game, but since that one error he has played nearly flawless hockey. He has an excellent upside, with great size and hands, and decent speed. If he can continue to be a force, look for the Red to cement a bye-week for the ECACHL playoffs, and possibly to win in Albany.

Date: February 02, 2008 11:07AM

I agree with you on two of the non-calls, but...

lynah80
2) The hit on M Kennedy at 12:59 in the 3rd period looked like "contact to the head" to me. I've watched the replay several times and I don't agree with Jason that it was a clean hit. It was too high. Why would Kennedy stay down on the ice for so long if his head wasn't hit?

From the video and the replay it looked to me like Mike got caught with his head down--I thought it was clean

4) Punches were thrown several times by players from both teams during scuffles. That warrants 5 minutes.

Fighting is an automatic major and game DQ in college...You wanted the ref to give players DQ's which would mean that we probably would have less than 18 skaters for tonight?

Posted by: upperdeck (---.fcsnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 02, 2008 11:20AM

Isnt a blow to the head a blow to the head.. its not like he ducked into the hit. the player was coming in high with a shoulder and hit him in the head..

geesh last week we got a hit to the head penalty when our little guy tried to push the player off him and barely touched his head..

Posted by: amc245 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 02, 2008 11:21AM

One raider even punched Scrivens in the face after one whistle...it was hard to see but I had the perfect angle (section F). No call of course...much to the dismay of many fans

Posted by: hockeygen17 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 02, 2008 11:53AM

anyone have video of the GWG?

Posted by: MINIteam8s (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 02, 2008 11:58AM

Check TimeWarnerSyr. It looks like they may show a rerun this afternoon at 4 pm before the 7pm live game at 'gate.

Re: Defensemen playing goal?
Posted by: min (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: February 02, 2008 12:00PM

sah67
Has anyone heard of a defenseman (or forward for that matter) being forced to play goal in a situation like this? Does the NCAA rulebook even deal with such a situation?
I've seen something similar in professional soccer.

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 02, 2008 12:10PM

hockeygen17
anyone have video of the GWG?

[news10now.com]

Not the best quality, but there it is.

Posted by: redice (---.154.220.137.Dial1.Boston1.Level3.net)
Date: February 02, 2008 12:12PM

lynah80

The black and white need to call a tighter game tonight in Hamilton, not only because it impacts the outcome of the game, but more important, because the safety of the players depends on it.

I agree...That is the worst officiating that I've seen this season. The ref was absolutely NOT in charge of this game.

Posted by: ebilmes (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 02, 2008 12:16PM

Yeah, the officiating sucked last night. Lots and lots of scuffles, some of which got the traditional matching minors, but most of which just got nothing. The refs didn't establish any sort of law and order. If players can hit after the whistle and not get sent to the box, why shouldn't they? I expect a very physical game tonight.

The no-call on the Scali hit was ridiculous. You don't get many more obvious penalties than that. After Kennedy's injury, I would have placed money on the next penalty being called in favor of Cornell. It stunned me when Scali was taken down without a whistle, and then I couldn't believe when Mugford went to the box right after. Really inconsistent officiating.

The dramatic GWG distracts us from this team's offensive issues. We can't rely on Scrivens to play this well every night; someone has to find a way to put the puck in the net. We had some blown chances in the first two periods, and then had two poor PPs in the last 8 mins of the 3rd. Yes, Greening's goal was fantastic, but we have to start getting more shots on net. Scoring is a problem.

As for the 'no passengers' comment above...Brendon Nash looks awful. Really uninspired play, doesn't hustle. This was all the more obvious when Greening and Scali were flying around the ice last night, yet Nash was taking his time moving up to the blue line or going back to get pucks. Berk is also pretty bad, but I'll let amerks127 get into that if he wants.

Scrivens kept us in this game, and then Greening capped off a great night by firing that shot past Dexshow.

Also, best cheer of the night: "Ugly girlfriend" - directed at the Colgate fan who held up the "12 in the program, 1 in my heart" sign.

Let's go red!

Posted by: LaJollaRed (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 02, 2008 12:20PM

Beauty

Posted by: redice (---.154.220.137.Dial1.Boston1.Level3.net)
Date: February 02, 2008 12:20PM

sah67
Girlfriend who was in attendance informs me that about 6 Colgate fans were ejected throughout the game.

At least 6!! Probably many more than 6. Historically, the Colgate fans are the most obnoxious visiting-team fans at Lynah.

I saw one (mature) Colgate fan arguing with someone from Cornell administration after the game. I overheard his asking: "How are the kids supposed to know?" I presume he was referring to whatever rule was used to throw them out. That is a legitimate question to ask relative to the first person who is ejected. But, for the remainder who are ejected, they clearly were not paying attention to the first ejection. (If you see you buddy thrown own for **whatever**, doesn't it seem that you, too, should stop that behavior? It seems simple to me!)

BTW, before Colgate fans jump on me about Cornell fans being equally obnoxious. I am a townie who does not necessarily always agree with the conduct of the Cornell fans either. Maturity will do that to a person, you know!! :-)

Date: February 02, 2008 12:32PM

ebilmes
As for the 'no passengers' comment above...Brendon Nash looks awful. Really uninspired play, doesn't hustle. This was all the more obvious when Greening and Scali were flying around the ice last night, yet Nash was taking his time moving up to the blue line or going back to get pucks. Berk is also pretty bad, but I'll let amerks127 get into that if he wants.

I stand by that comment. Where have you been? That's how Brendon always looks (uninspired). He plays on an even keel (a la Pokulok) which is sort of a double-edged sword. He made a few pretty poor plays in the neutral/defensive zones, but also a couple of equally good plays in the offensive zone. While, I would agree it wasn't one of his best showings, it wasn't because he was dogging it. Agree on Berk--the kid really should be watching in the press box at this point--but it's not for lack of effort, he's clearly in over his head; I can't imagine that Davenport is a healthy scratch at this point.

Scoring is a problem for this team, no doubt, but I wouldn't say that last night was a good example. They had 31 shots on goal and many of them were through traffic and a result of crashing the net. Lots of scoring chances but Dekanich was solid in net. PP did look awful last night though. The Scott unit couldn't even get the puck in the zone, and when they did, Devin would one-time it about 3 feet wide and Gate would clear.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2008 12:44PM by redhair34.

Posted by: ebilmes (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 02, 2008 12:44PM

redhair34
ebilmes

I stand by that comment. Where have you been? That's how Brendon always looks (uninspired). He plays on an even keel (a la Pokulok) which is sort of a double-edged sword. He made a few pretty poor plays in the neutral/defensive zones, but also a couple of equally good plays in the offensive zone. While, I would agree it wasn't one of his best showings, it wasn't because he was dogging it. Agree on Berk--the kid really should be watching in the press box at this point--he's clearly in over his head; I can't imagine that Davenport is a healthy scratch.

I'm familiar with how Nash looks -- I've watched him the last two seasons and also got to see Sasha play about 20 times during his two years at Cornell. I have no problem with his 'even keel,' so long as it puts him in the right place at the right time. It's just that when his effort can make the difference in a shift, it's disappointing when he doesn't try a little harder.

Posted by: amerks127 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 02, 2008 12:51PM

As for Berk...I make myself pretty clear during games when I beg Schafer for a defensive line change the second Berk steps on the ice. He is the weakest player in the lineup right now. Can't move the puck at all on breakouts and gets out muscled on the boards and in the corners.

I have to say that I feel comfortable with the Nash, Kennedy, and Fontas lines on the ice...not so much our 3rd line of Gallagher, P. Kennedy, and either Joe Devin or Dan Nicholls. But Devin has now scored in the last two weekends, which doesn't bode well for Nicholls considering no one else will sit unless there is an injury.

If Mike Kennedy suffered a concussion from the hit, however, that's a huge blow to the team, not only because he has been a force since break, but also because he is a center. Lines are gonna have to be shuffled for tonight, and will probably stay that way. Just when lines were really starting to mesh, it seems that Schafer is gonna have to find some new combinations. I hope Scott and Sawada continue to play well w/o Kennedy, if he is in fact injured.

Gonna be a great game tonight. Sorry to those who cannot be there.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2008 11:36PM by amerks127.

Date: February 02, 2008 01:00PM

ebilmes
redhair34
ebilmes

I stand by that comment. Where have you been? That's how Brendon always looks (uninspired). He plays on an even keel (a la Pokulok) which is sort of a double-edged sword. He made a few pretty poor plays in the neutral/defensive zones, but also a couple of equally good plays in the offensive zone. While, I would agree it wasn't one of his best showings, it wasn't because he was dogging it. Agree on Berk--the kid really should be watching in the press box at this point--he's clearly in over his head; I can't imagine that Davenport is a healthy scratch.

I'm familiar with how Nash looks -- I've watched him the last two seasons and also got to see Sasha play about 20 times during his two years at Cornell. I have no problem with his 'even keel,' so long as it puts him in the right place at the right time. It's just that when his effort can make the difference in a shift, it's disappointing when he doesn't try a little harder.

Fair enough, and believe me I am not huge fan of the "even keel" player, but I think there are certain guys who play their best when they're playing on the edge (Scali, Greening, Scott, Sawada, Nichols etc.) and there are certain guys who make poor decisions when they ratchet up the effort/intensity--I think Brendon is one of these players.

Posted by: oceanst41 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: February 02, 2008 01:04PM

Agreed the two worst calls of the night came at the expense of Scali. It's not so much that they were non-calls, but that they were non-calls after similar plays were getting whistled earlier in the game.

Greening, well he's a pretty powerful skater. For being as big as he is, he can really get himself moving. And on the game winner he skated through a hook by snapping the stick in two. rock

I am a little concerned that Cornell was able to muster so little offense last night, considering Colgate wasn't exactly playing very good hockey of late. Dex is a quality goaltender, but that didn't stop Yale from putting 4 past him last weekend. That being said, these Cornell/Colgate matchups of the past few seasons are always physical affairs and usually very low scoring. A win is a win and I'll take the two points.

Posted by: grizzdan24 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 02, 2008 01:12PM

There are a couple of guys that I thought quietly played very solid games last night: Krueger and Barlow. Krueger continues to be our best shot blocker and I would argue our most consistent defender thus far. I am incredibly confident when he is on the ice and if there happens to be a 2 on 1 not in our favor, I would choose him to be the one if given the option. Barlow, on the other hand, played one of his better games in a while highlighted by his controlling of the puck and pass to Greening to setup the first goal.

Date: February 02, 2008 01:17PM

amerks127
Davenport is not a healthy scratch and we'd be lucky to see him again this season.

As for Berk...I make myself pretty clear during games when I beg Schafer for a defensive line change the second Berk steps on the ice. He is the weakest player in the lineup right now. Can't move the puck at all on breakouts and gets out muscled on the boards and in the corners.

I have to say that I feel comfortable with the Nash, Kennedy, and Fontas lines on the ice...not so much our 3rd line of Gallagher, P. Kennedy, and either Joe Devin or Dan Nicholls. But Devin has now scored in the last two weekends, which doesn't bode well for Nicholls considering no one else will sit unless there is an injury.

If Mike Kennedy suffered a concussion from the hit, however, that's a huge blow to the team, not only because he has been a force since break, but also because he is a center. Lines are gonna have to be shuffled for tonight, and will probably stay that way. Just when lines were really starting to mesh, it seems that Schafer is gonna have to find some new combinations. I hope Scott and Sawada continue to play well w/o Kennedy, if he is in fact injured.

How Schafer uses Berk could be a big factor tonight. You know that Vaughn is going to have Burton and Winchester out there for every Gate offensive zone face-off when Berk/Devin are on the ice. I'd like to see Schafer use Berk sparingly and only really against their 3rd/4th lines. As you alluded to, when Berk/Devin are on the ice they default to the controlled breakout and the center is forced to carry the puck out of the zone which pretty much kills any transition offense.

Assuming no Kennedy or Fontas, I think we'll see something along the lines of...

Greening--Nash--Barlow
Kennedy--Scott--Sawada
Roezler--Gallagher--Devin
Scali--Mugford--Nichols

Re: Missed Penalties -Schafer's opinion on Kennedy hit.
Posted by: lynah80 (---.phlapa.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 02, 2008 02:17PM

From today's Ithaca Journal (2/2/2008):

The Raiders' Brian Day leveled Michael Kennedy with hit at center ice that left the Big Red's first line center injured on the ice.

“I thought it spurred us,” said Cornell coach Mike Schafer, adding it angered the Cornell bench. “It was a high hit to his head. I thought our guys responded to that and got it going.”

Notes: Friday's scratches were forwards Tyler Roeszler and Dan Nicholls, and defensemen Taylor Davenport and Jacob Johnston. ... Kennedy and Fontas did not finish the game for Cornell. No immediate update on their condition was available, Schafer said.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2008 02:32PM by lynah80.

Posted by: lynah80 (---.phlapa.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 02, 2008 02:21PM

According to the NCAA ice hockey rule book, any contact to the head can be called a penalty. It's up to the ref to decide if it was deliberate and/or dangerous.

Posted by: Oat (---.c3-0.avec-ubr11.nyr-avec.ny.cable.rcn.com)
Date: February 02, 2008 02:37PM

Either that.. or look for him in the NHL next year.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 02, 2008 04:06PM

oceanst41
I am a little concerned that Cornell was able to muster so little offense last night, considering Colgate wasn't exactly playing very good hockey of late.

Actually they have been playing much better of late (4-1-1) than early in the season. They are an upperclassmen team that was picked to finish second. A real disappointment. The best Colgate season of late was when their coach was off being acting AD.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 02, 2008 05:17PM

Rule 2, Section 3
NCAA rule book
a... A substitute goalkeeper must be on the bench at the start of the game and shall at all times be fully dressed and equipped and ready to play. Upon entering the game, the substitute goalkeeper shall take his position without delay. A team shall not start a game with less than two goalkeepers.
PENALTY—Forfeiture (score will be recorded as 1-0).
Note: A team must travel to an away game with a minimum of two goalkeepers on the roster. If one of the goalkeepers sustains an incapacitating injury or, because of extenuating circumstances, is not able to suit up, a forfeiture penalty shall not be called. Officials are instructed to play the game and report it to the rules committee and appropriate conference, if applicable. The rules committee is the sole arbitrator of these extenuating circumstances.

NACC rulebook
d. Except when all goalkeepers are incapacitated, another player shall not be permitted to wear the equipment of the goalkeeper.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 02, 2008 05:25PM

lynah80
According to the NCAA ice hockey rule book, any contact to the head can be called a penalty. It's up to the ref to decide if it was deliberate and/or dangerous.
To be specific,
NCAA rule book
Contact to the Head
SECTION 8. A player shall not make contact with an opposing player’s head or neck area in any manner.
PENALTY—Minor or major or disqualification at the discretion of the referee. Contact to the head shall be assessed in front of the infraction (i.e. contact to the head – elbow).
Note: The Rules Committee instructs officials to use a zero tolerance policy in this area.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 02, 2008 05:51PM

David Harding
Rule 2, Section 3
NCAA rule book
a... A substitute goalkeeper must be on the bench at the start of the game and shall at all times be fully dressed and equipped and ready to play. Upon entering the game, the substitute goalkeeper shall take his position without delay. A team shall not start a game with less than two goalkeepers.
PENALTY—Forfeiture (score will be recorded as 1-0).
Note: A team must travel to an away game with a minimum of two goalkeepers on the roster. If one of the goalkeepers sustains an incapacitating injury or, because of extenuating circumstances, is not able to suit up, a forfeiture penalty shall not be called. Officials are instructed to play the game and report it to the rules committee and appropriate conference, if applicable. The rules committee is the sole arbitrator of these extenuating circumstances.

NACC rulebook
d. Except when all goalkeepers are incapacitated, another player shall not be permitted to wear the equipment of the goalkeeper.

So are we to follow the NCAA rules or the upstart NACC?crazy

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 02, 2008 06:00PM

redhair34
ebilmes
redhair34
ebilmes

Fair enough, and believe me I am not huge fan of the "even keel" player, but I think there are certain guys who play their best when they're playing on the edge (Scali, Greening, Scott, Sawada, Nichols etc.) and there are certain guys who make poor decisions when they ratchet up the effort/intensity--I think Brendon is one of these players.

I fell on a patch of ice last Thursday. Hit my forehead, needed stiches (passed on that - so I'm growing a nice scar) and basically was lucky as hell to have a gushing cut and no broken bones. Ever since then I have been scared and respectful of ice patches. I'm afraid I may hurt myself (and put my career in jeopardy - not to mention my 56 year old life).

Just a few weeks ago we all wondered whether Brendon would ever play college hockey since Riley might be doing a one year stint and all that. Now that he is relatively healthy we expect him to be a whirling dervish on ice.

I'm not saying he's hurt - though it is possible - but he may have visions of finishing the season too. That said, I hate it when the opposition flies by him. It is a scary site.

Posted by: oceanst41 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: February 02, 2008 06:51PM

Jim Hyla
oceanst41
I am a little concerned that Cornell was able to muster so little offense last night, considering Colgate wasn't exactly playing very good hockey of late.

Actually they have been playing much better of late (4-1-1) than early in the season. They are an upperclassmen team that was picked to finish second. A real disappointment. The best Colgate season of late was when their coach was off being acting AD.

Well I see they are 3-3-1 since the holiday break, and probably their most impressive result is the 1-1 tie with Clarkson. That aside my point really is that this is an underachieving team, and Cornell should be taking the play to them. That only happened in spurts last night. Hopefully they come out tonight and dictate play instead of letting 'Gate get under their skin with all these after whistle scrums.

Posted by: Rita (---.agry.purdue.edu)
Date: February 02, 2008 07:04PM

redhair34
amerks127
Davenport is not a healthy scratch and we'd be lucky to see him again this season.

How Schafer uses Berk could be a big factor tonight. You know that Vaughn is going to have Burton and Winchester out there for every Gate offensive zone face-off when Berk/Devin are on the ice. I'd like to see Schafer use Berk sparingly and only really against their 3rd/4th lines. As you alluded to, when Berk/Devin are on the ice they default to the controlled breakout and the center is forced to carry the puck out of the zone which pretty much kills any transition offense.

Assuming no Kennedy or Fontas, I think we'll see something along the lines of...

Greening--Nash--Barlow
Kennedy--Scott--Sawada
Scali--Mugford--Nichols

Michael Kennedy and Fontas are out for Saturday's game.

Greening--Nash--Barlow
Kennedy--Scott--Sawada
Taylor Davenport (not a typo)--Gallagher--Devin
Scali--Mugford--Nichols

I'll move this once someone starts the game thread. I'm assuming my ban from last season carries over to this one. The team has enough trouble playing on Saturdays, they do not need my "jinx factor".
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2008 07:09PM by Rita.

Date: February 02, 2008 07:07PM

Rita
redhair34
amerks127

Greening--Nash--Barlow
Kennedy--Scott--Sawada
Scali--Mugford--Nichols

Michael Kennedy and Fontas are out for Saturday's game.

Greening--Nash--Barlow
Kennedy--Scott--Sawada
Taylor Davenport (not a type)--Gallagher--Devin
Scali--Mugford--Nichols

I'll move this once someone starts the game thread. I'm assuming my ban from last season carries over to this one. The team has enough trouble playing on Saturdays, they do not need my "jinx factor".

Yeah I haven't exactly been lucky when it comes to game threads either, so I'm steering clear as well ;-)

Date: February 02, 2008 07:15PM

amerks127
He's starting tonight at wing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login