Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Brown at Cornell postgame

Posted by billhoward 
Brown at Cornell postgame
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 25, 2008 09:06PM

Workmanlike 4-1 victory. Sawada has the game (goal, assist) you expect of him. [edit add:] And special teams came through. A game Cornell obviously should have won, but with Cornell this year, no opponent is a guaranteed win. LGR.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2008 09:31PM by billhoward.

Re: Brown at Cornell postgame
Posted by: sah67 (---.64.171.66.subscriber.vzavenue.net)
Date: January 25, 2008 09:10PM

billhoward
Workmanlike 4-1 victory. Sawada has the game (goal, assist) you expect of him. A game Cornell obviously should have won, but with Cornell this year, no opponent is a guaranteed win. LGR.

We really got sloppy in the 2nd, perhaps encouraged by Brown's horrid 1st period, but nearly paid for it. Good third period though.

Excellent special teams effort also....66% powerplay conversion, 100% PK.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2008 09:11PM by sah67.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 25, 2008 09:13PM

sah67
LiveStats has Cornell 2x2 on pp and 6x6 on kill.

Date: January 25, 2008 09:15PM

Trotsky
sah67
LiveStats has Cornell 2x2 on pp and 6x6 on kill.

I thought we had about 15 seconds of pp at the beginning the 2nd where we didn't score.

EDIT: Collegehockeystats.net has it as 2/3
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2008 09:48PM by sah67.

Date: January 25, 2008 09:16PM

Tony's 3 stars of the game are:

1. Ray Sawada
2. Tyler Mugford
3. Chris Fontas

Joe Scali and Colin Greening could have easily been candidates as well IMHO.

Great post game show replays
Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 25, 2008 09:21PM

They showed all the goals, Sawada's hit, and as a nice finishing touch, as the annoumcers signed off they replayed the player's raising their sticks to salute. Very cool.banana

Onion wins at SLU 3-1
Date: January 25, 2008 09:23PM

Now they've won about seven in a row. It's a record for them.

Re: Onion wins at SLU 3-1
Date: January 25, 2008 09:25PM

TimV
Now they've won about seven in a row. It's a record for them.

They score the ENG before SLU's sieve could even make it to the bench twitch

Other ECAC Scores 1/25
Date: January 25, 2008 09:25PM

Clarkson 5 RPI 2
Union 3 SLU 1
Yale 6 Colgate 1

Non-conference
Niagara 5 Quinnipiac 1

Question...
Date: January 25, 2008 09:28PM

Since said sieve was still on the ice, it counts as a goal against, right? Not an ENG?

Posted by: RichH (76.28.11.---)
Date: January 25, 2008 09:28PM

billhoward
Workmanlike 4-1 victory. Sawada has the game (goal, assist) you expect of him. A game Cornell obviously should have won, but with Cornell this year, no opponent is a guaranteed win. LGR.

A little rough around the edges, but they did what they were expected to do vs. a team with one win.

Earlier in the year, I wrote something along the lines of when Greening and Riley get comfortable with each other, that should be a special line. What I've observed is that those are 2 very, very talented players that happen to be on the ice at the same time. The truly *great* lines in league history (Perrin/St. Louis, Tuomainen/Robitaille, et. al.) were great because they were in tune with what each would do in the future. They always seemed to be one step ahead of everyone in the building not because they knew where their linemates are, but they knew where their linemates were going to be. That isn't what I'm seeing from our first line. I see Riley continue to jam up against 3 defenders and try to deke his own way out of it. I see Greening and Nash taking one-man cycles in the corner, while everyone waits to see what happens next. Barlow has to clear out obstacles and let the other two have fun with that open space...together.

Nice game by Sawada...great to see. Joe Devin did good work finishing off the opportunistic breakaway. A lot of good work by much of the team, but as people mentioned in the game thread...not a solid 60 minutes yet. Focus needs to be locked in by the end of Feb.

The goals we scored were opportunistic, and that's how this team has to get them. Throw it on net and be ready around the net for something to squirt loose. There was a point during the 2nd intermission (when it was 2-1) where the radio audio dropped out, and we got to overhear someone in the pressbox being incredibly sarcastic: "whoa...another offensive display by Cornell *guffaw* Yeah, you saw them beat Niagara 6-0 and everyone is like 'whoa.' Dude, THAT was the fluke game." 4-1 makes me feel better, and I'll take the team than can lock down a 3rd period lead over what we saw during the holidays.

The hallmark of every great Schafer-coached team...Penalty Killing. You can usually get a feel of how far they'll go with the strength of the PK unit. 1997 rode one of the best PKs I've ever seen all the way to the national quarters. Earlier this decade, the PK was dominant, and so was the team. I tell you what...I feel better about this team in the 2nd half of the season than I did in the 1st half based solely on my comfort level with the PK. It's coming together. Not perfect, but they are "getting it."

Yale will be a better test than this Brown team.

Date: January 25, 2008 09:38PM

RichH
Yale will be a better test than this Brown team.
Also, it's the second game of the weekend, when Cornell has had letdowns. A win would be indicative that the team is coming together and can be a serious contender. RPI stayed in until late against Clarkson tonight -- the Knights can be beaten both in Ithaca and Albany.

The Union loss is looking less and less bad. Other than that, Cornell is 5-0 in its last games not against Clarkson. Yale's a key test, because they're looking pretty good. If the Red can make it happen now, they have a great chance with the home-and-home coming up against 'Gate.

Or they could go 0-3. Who knows with such a young team?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2008 09:38PM by Trotsky.

Re: Question...
Date: January 25, 2008 09:52PM

TimV
Since said sieve was still on the ice, it counts as a goal against, right? Not an ENG?

Correct, it goes as a goal-against in his stats...even thought there really was no "against". ;)

thank you, Doug
Posted by: hockeychick470 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 25, 2008 10:03PM

This is my 3rd season sitting on the D/E boarder. The cowbell is one of my favorite cheers, especially when I go stand in B or A with friends because it gets extremely garbled with clapping on the D/E end. This is the first time that I've seen anyone come to the D/E end to play the cowbell. Thanks, you made my night.

LGR

Re: thank you, Doug
Posted by: Drew (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 25, 2008 10:23PM

hockeychick470
This is my 3rd season sitting on the D/E boarder. The cowbell is one of my favorite cheers, especially when I go stand in B or A with friends because it gets extremely garbled with clapping on the D/E end. This is the first time that I've seen anyone come to the D/E end to play the cowbell. Thanks, you made my night.

LGR

Doug, Sounds like empty net in front of you...;-)

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 25, 2008 11:18PM

Trotsky
RPI stayed in until late against Clarkson tonight -- the Knights can be beaten both in Ithaca and Albany.

Well, I hope we don't have to find out if Clarkson can be beaten in Ithaca, I'd hate to have to meet them in the quarters.scared

Date: January 26, 2008 07:06AM

Jim Hyla
Trotsky
RPI stayed in until late against Clarkson tonight -- the Knights can be beaten both in Ithaca and Albany.

Well, I hope we don't have to find out if Clarkson can be beaten in Ithaca, I'd hate to have to meet them in the quarters.scared
Ithaca, Potsdam -- what's the difference? ;)

Onion up , RPI - RIP
Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 26, 2008 07:42AM

As amazing as Union's rise over the past few weeks is RPI's stumbling. The Red Hawk/Little Red/Engineers have lost ten in a row. They are "due" but they also might be mentally spent.

It would be interesting to see the two north country games tonight. I'd like to be at both rinks. And quoting Proctor and Bergman, "How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You're Not Anywhere at All?" nut

But I'd really rather be at Lynah.

Also worth editing in here is that both of the streaks are records.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2008 12:07PM by marty.

Posted by: Doug '08 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 26, 2008 03:13PM

I guess this game was what most of expected. Played out similarly to the first meeting, although I thought Brown was a much more physical team in Providence. Good to see the power play actually moving the puck and getting chances. I like 4 forwards on the top unit, I'm surprised Schafer hasn't used that more this year.

Scrivens is going to need to step his game up against Yale, though, last night was definitely not his strongest game. I was glad to see Sawada throwing his weight around, albeit only on a couple shifts.

Yale plays a skilled game that revolves around one timers and moving the puck down low. They are a good team, but not as good as their record indicates and I'd be disappointed if we can't complete the season sweep.

I'm glad you seemed to like the cowbell over in D/E, figured it'd be good to mix things up a little. See you guys in a couple hours

Re: thank you, Doug
Posted by: dietlbomb (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 26, 2008 06:04PM

hockeychick470

LGR

I agree with this. There were a number of fans in sections D/E/F/G who have probably never heard the cowbell before, and just assumed it was just a timed clapping chant (but not well timed from my vantage). Thanks.

Posted by: Dpperk29 (128.153.211.---)
Date: January 26, 2008 09:37PM

Trotsky
Jim Hyla
Trotsky

Ithaca, Potsdam -- what's the difference? ;)

about 20 degrees in temperature and 40 in wind chill...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login