Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell 3 SLU 1 Post-game thread

Posted by Trotsky 
Cornell 3 SLU 1 Post-game thread
Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 18, 2008 09:28PM

Clarkson and Gate tied at 1 late in the third.

Re: Cornell 3 SLU 1 Post-game thread
Date: January 18, 2008 09:28PM

Now in OT in Hamilton.

Date: January 18, 2008 09:29PM

Union 2 RPI 1 in the third.

Date: January 18, 2008 09:34PM

1-1 final at Gate.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 18, 2008 09:36PM

Trotsky
Now in OT in Hamilton.
Tied. Final.

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: January 18, 2008 09:43PM

Story of the game: Riley Nash is a ****ing sniper!!! I thought Scrivens played very well, as we are beginning to expect from him. He had almost no chance to stop the SLU oddman rush goal.

Posted by: sah67 (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 18, 2008 10:00PM

Anyone know why Petizian was pulled in favor of Justin "Bâby Daddy" Pesony with 2:30 to go, only to have Pesony pulled for the extra attacker a minute later? Petizian didn't seem injured at all.

Riley Nash is amazing with the calmness and focus he has with his shot...it seems like he waits almost too long, only to pick a top corner with ease.

Posted by: upperdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 18, 2008 10:06PM

it was just a plot to kill time..

Date: January 18, 2008 10:18PM

Union wins 2-1. They've won 5 in a row and move into 5th place in the ECAC by winning percentage.

Posted by: grizzdan24 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 18, 2008 10:55PM

Just got back from the game, overall I thought it was a pretty solid performance. PK looked very strong until the last 20-30 seconds of each kill. Riley's patience and shooting ability continues to payoff and result in high level goals.

Any word on why their were 2 refs and 2 linesman tonight?

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 18, 2008 11:00PM

The most interesting part to me, OK not the most, but still interesting, was seeing Dan Murphy working as Assit. Ref with John Murphy and Mike Baker as refs. I thought the 2 ref system worked OK. Always some complaints, but nothing more than with 1 ref.

Date: January 18, 2008 11:36PM

Any thoughts on why Schafer didn't put Riley out there with the SLU goalie(s) pulled to try for the hat trick? Obviously with the final penalty, he put the PK unit out there, but there was still some time before that. Barlow and M. Kennedy got extra shifts at the end of their 2-goal game against Niagara. Perhaps because this game was much closer?

Posted by: grizzdan24 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 18, 2008 11:43PM

sah67
Any thoughts on why Schafer didn't put Riley out there with the SLU goalie(s) pulled to try for the hat trick? Obviously with the final penalty, he put the PK unit out there, but there was still some time before that. Barlow and M. Kennedy got extra shifts at the end of their 2-goal game against Niagara. Perhaps because this game was much closer?

Barlow and Kennedy also routinely get PK time, which is essentially what the situation was at the end of the game. I would assume that you were right, that it had to do with the game being much closer. Schafer focused on getting his checking lines more time. Would have loved to see Riley get a hat trick thoughbanana

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: January 18, 2008 11:59PM

sah67
Putting a guy out there just to get the hat trick is kind of the coaches equivalent of jingling your keys. Don't do it unless the game is clearly in hand. A two goal lead is not big enough, IMO. When it comes down to it hat tricks just aren't important enough.

Posted by: oceanst41 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: January 19, 2008 01:02AM

grizzdan24

I saw the DC/QU game on NESN a week or so ago and they had Paul Stewart on. He was talking about how this year they were going to try out the 2 ref system in some games to see how it worked. One of the ways they hope to improve officiating, by putting less pressure on the single ref to catch everything.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: January 19, 2008 02:55AM

oceanst41
grizzdan24

I saw the DC/QU game on NESN a week or so ago and they had Paul Stewart on. He was talking about how this year they were going to try out the 2 ref system in some games to see how it worked. One of the ways they hope to improve officiating, by putting less pressure on the single ref to catch everything.
I love how the pendulum always swings back and forth on things like this. They got rid of the two ref system (albeit with one linesman) because the two were rarely in sych (one would inevitably call the game closer than the other) and it was hard to find enough quality referees. I don't see any reason to think that these problems won't still be there. But hey, it's the thing to do these days.

Date: January 19, 2008 09:40AM

Scrivens is now the #2 goalie in the nation by save percentage.

Posted by: fink (---.wyom.net)
Date: January 19, 2008 10:23AM

sah67

Johnston also (technically) leads the nation in goals per game :-P

Posted by: Sarli (---.phlapa.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 19, 2008 10:46AM

he's a faster skater from the goalline to the bench :-}

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: January 19, 2008 12:09PM

sah67

Surely, Superman Kyle Richter is still number 1, no? :-P

Date: January 19, 2008 04:57PM

Chris '03
sah67

Surely, Superman Kyle Richter is still number 1, no? :-P

Nah, he got bored of being the only one putting in any effort on a sucky team, so he started letting some more in ;)

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: January 20, 2008 02:44PM

Sorry I'm a day late, but this is the first time I've had internet since the game.

The 2 ref system was OK for the game except for the hooking call in the first period called by Baker, the trail referee. It clearly was not a hooking infraction as it was a stick on stick lift and never touched the players body at all. The problem with the call is that Murphy was skating backwards with a clear view of the front of the SLU players body and the stick lift and didn't put his arm up, but Baker who was behind the play just saw a stick go horizontal to the ice and decided to call it. They need to work on having the trail ref call things away from the puck and things the front ref can't see, and keep them away from making those sorts of calls.

I thought Cornell played really well in the first period and were destroying SLU on getting to loose pucks. I think Roezsler had a really good game working along the boards in the offensive zone, but his CTH roughing penalty was really dumb. Nash's goals were both beautiful, but his skills on the breakout coming out of the defensive zone really need to be worked on. Thats all I remember, but it was fun to finally get my first trip in to the new Lynah.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login