Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Clarkson Viewing in NYC

Posted by Beeeej 
Clarkson Viewing in NYC
Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: January 17, 2008 10:20AM

Am I crazy to think that it's worth trying to put together a crowd at Ship of Fools (2nd Ave. @ 82nd St., Manhattan) to watch the Clarkson game Sunday at 4pm, when the AFC & NFC championship games overlap it?

Maybe we can get the back or middle room to ourselves with most TVs on Cornell vs. Clarkson and one TV on football for those who care about it. I'll call SoF and ask them what they think, and will report back here later.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Re: Clarkson Viewing in NYC
Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: January 17, 2008 11:37AM

Beeeej
Am I crazy to think that it's worth trying to put together a crowd at Ship of Fools (2nd Ave. @ 82nd St., Manhattan) to watch the Clarkson game Sunday at 4pm, when the AFC & NFC championship games overlap it?
I'm inclined to say that you probably are. Sunday is likely to be a HUGE day for sports bars.

On the other hand, business is business, and if you can guarantee them a certain number of customers I don't know why they wouldn't take it, but given what else is going on I'm not sure how many people you'd be able to get to commit to that.

Posted by: ben03 (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 17, 2008 11:50AM

You can count me in if they can put it on for us. Keep us posted drunk

Posted by: Tom Lento (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: January 17, 2008 12:26PM

Josh '99
I'm inclined to say that you probably are. Sunday is likely to be a HUGE day for sports bars.

On the other hand, business is business, and if you can guarantee them a certain number of customers I don't know why they wouldn't take it, but given what else is going on I'm not sure how many people you'd be able to get to commit to that.

The Ship of Fools owners like the Cornell hockey crowd. Probably because you're all friendly, grateful for the hockey, and (most importantly) drink a lot of beer.

Even so, I doubt they'll give you the back room unless you can promise a certain amount of money. I seem to remember the NCAAs conflicting with March Madness a few years back, and someone got the back room for 20 people at a $25/head minimum (roughly 2 beers and an appetizer, in NYC).

Incidentally, if you're in midtown and want a slightly different type of sports bar, check out The Australian. It's at least part-owned by the same people. Nice place, good food, moderate beer selection. It's in the general vicinity of Murray Hill/Korea Town. Yes, they do serve kangaroo, or they did when I went. [www.theaustraliannyc.com]

Posted by: Drew (199.43.48.---)
Date: January 17, 2008 01:33PM

Beeeej

Maybe we can get the back or middle room to ourselves with most TVs on Cornell vs. Clarkson and one TV on football for those who care about it. I'll call SoF and ask them what they think, and will report back here later.

Hey Beeeej, Actually, a small contigent of Clarkson fans already have something setup at Ship of Fools to view the game, I may check it out if I don't get the game at home. It works out well if you are a Giant fan, as that game starts at 6:30. Doubleheader.banana
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2008 01:34PM by Drew.

Date: January 17, 2008 02:16PM

Drew
Hey Beeeej, Actually, a small contigent of Clarkson fans already have something setup at Ship of Fools to view the game, I may check it out if I don't get the game at home. It works out well if you are a Giant fan, as that game starts at 6:30. Doubleheader.banana
Huh, perhaps I was wrong then.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.itt.com)
Date: January 17, 2008 02:17PM

Anyone in North Jersey interested in not going into NYC, and know of any Jersey sports bars to recommend?

Posted by: nr53 (---.cisco.com)
Date: January 17, 2008 04:27PM

I didn't feel like starting a new thread, but does anyone know of a good sports bar in the San Jose area? google maps shows a few of them, but I don't know how likely they would be to let a small number of people use a tv.

Posted by: MOBalum (---.gti.net)
Date: January 17, 2008 04:32PM

Miami Mike's Sports Zone at the East Hanover Ramada Inn - very friendly and tons of TVs, I'm sure they won't give you sound but Mike will spare a set. A couple years ago they gave CU the big screen for the 3OT game, set up red and white balloons and everything for the ~10 of us that were there.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: January 17, 2008 04:55PM

Drew
Beeeej

That's great, Drew, thanks! Would I be correct if I guessed they've got you in the back back room?

I plan to go notwithstanding that I get ESPNU at home; it's more fun to be social about it. Looking forward to meeting some of ya. :-)

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: January 17, 2008 05:08PM

MOBalum
Miami Mike's Sports Zone at the East Hanover Ramada Inn - very friendly and tons of TVs, I'm sure they won't give you sound but Mike will spare a set. A couple years ago they gave CU the big screen for the 3OT game, set up red and white balloons and everything for the ~10 of us that were there.
Good call, I know that's a big Rutgers gathering spot. I could swear I've gone there to watch something before but I can't put my finger on what.

Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: January 17, 2008 05:31PM

Josh '99
MOBalum
Good call, I know that's a big Rutgers gathering spot. I could swear I've gone there to watch something before but I can't put my finger on what.
A Rutgers game?

Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: January 17, 2008 05:32PM

Josh '99
MOBalum
A Rutgers game?

The judges also would have accepted "If you went to watch, but couldn't put your finger on it, we know what kind of bar it is."

Posted by: Drew (199.43.32.---)
Date: January 18, 2008 08:53AM

Beeeej
Drew
Beeeej

That's great, Drew, thanks! Would I be correct if I guessed they've got you in the back back room?

I plan to go notwithstanding that I get ESPNU at home; it's more fun to be social about it. Looking forward to meeting some of ya. :-)

You are correct. I may head into the city as well.
Cheers!

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: January 18, 2008 12:38PM

nr53
I didn't feel like starting a new thread, but does anyone know of a good sports bar in the San Jose area? google maps shows a few of them, but I don't know how likely they would be to let a small number of people use a tv.
Better to start a new thread probably. As of the moment I don't know where I'll be watching in the Bay Area. I know we've watched games at the sportsbar in Logitech ice rink but that was an off hour with no NFL competition. Otherwise I've usually either watched at someone's house or at semi-private places like Ice Oasis.

Re: Clarkson Viewing in Bay Area
Posted by: Dianne 99 (---.sonomatech.com)
Date: January 18, 2008 04:08PM

Well, I can offer my house in Cotati (North Bay) but you probably don't want to drive up from San Jose. Anyone else is welcome as well, but unless something has changed, I live pretty far away from most other Bay Area Cornell fans. :-)

Posted by: Rich S (209.212.23.---)
Date: January 23, 2008 08:24PM

On Sunday, Mike gave us one TV but no audio although I think he would have during the late stages of the third period when the football game was over or nearly so. There were about 6 or 7 Tech fans there among hundreds of Big Blue fans.

Have been going there for about 12 years to watch our annual "Satellite Broadcast" which is now defunct with the advent of ESPN-U. And also NCAA playoff games.

Mike has always been very accomodating and now that he owns the joint, I especially see no reason to go anywhere else in North Jersey.

Date: January 25, 2008 06:23PM

Rich S
Mike has always been very accomodating and now that he owns the joint, I especially see no reason to go anywhere else in North Jersey.
Generally speaking, heartburn and indigestion are my reasons to go somewhere else rather than Ship of Fools.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login