Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Alumni in the Pros - December 2007

Posted by KeithK 
Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Alumni in the Pros - December 2007
Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: December 03, 2007 12:21PM

Per sah67 in the Novemeber thread, Moulson got sent down to Manchester today.

Re: Alumni in the Pros - December 2007
Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.dhcp.psdn.ca.charter.com)
Date: December 03, 2007 12:57PM

KeithK
Per sah67 in the Novemeber thread, Moulson got sent down to Manchester today.

After a strong start, his last few games for the Kings were not very good. The Kings are in a serious struggle and trying to find both offense and defense, so I'm guessing he won't be back too soon. If Frolov comes off of IR soon, he would have to wait for 2 injuries.

Posted by: Ronald '09 (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: December 05, 2007 10:35AM

O'Byrne got called up by the habs.

My source is Team 990 in Montreal. I'm listening online.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2007 10:55AM by Ronald '09.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: December 05, 2007 11:00AM

Ronald '09
O'Byrne got called up by the habs.

My source is Team 990 in Montreal. I'm listening online.
Canadiens call up Lapierre, O'Byrne

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: December 05, 2007 02:58PM

Dan Glover has been traded from Fresno Falcons (ECHL) to Columbia (South Carolina) Inferno (ECHL).

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Jordan 04 (155.72.24.---)
Date: December 05, 2007 03:02PM

Are these ECHL teams affiliated with NHL clubs, and if so, what happens when a player gets traded?

Date: December 05, 2007 03:16PM

Jordan 04
Are these ECHL teams affiliated with NHL clubs, and if so, what happens when a player gets traded?

ECHL teams are affiliated with NHL teams, but all of the players on them are not. I assume people getting traded in the ECHL are not actually under contract with the NHL affiliate at all so it makes no difference.

Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: December 05, 2007 05:28PM

Beeeej
Dan Glover has been traded from Fresno Falcons (ECHL) to Columbia (South Carolina) Inferno (ECHL).
It must be annoying to get traded across the country in the ECHL. I hope his landlord doesn't bust his chops about breaking the lease.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 05, 2007 07:38PM

Jacob '06
Jordan 04

ECHL teams are affiliated with NHL teams, but all of the players on them are not. I assume people getting traded in the ECHL are not actually under contract with the NHL affiliate at all so it makes no difference.

Apparently Fresno is one of 3 ECHL teams that has no affiliation:

What you said is still absolutely true, but interesting to note.

Posted by: nyiballs (---.clearchannel.com)
Date: December 05, 2007 11:27PM

Teams pay for housing, so I am sure he will be switching apartments with whoever is coming the other way.

Anyone notice that Dougy Murray is 4th in the NHL in +/-!

Date: December 05, 2007 11:44PM

nyiballs
Teams pay for housing, so I am sure he will be switching apartments with whoever is coming the other way.

Anyone notice that Dougy Murray is 4th in the NHL in +/-!

Please... it's now Douglasy Murray. Thanks.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: amerks127 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: December 06, 2007 02:23PM

Nice article here about the call up...gives a shout out to Cornell.

[www.canada.com]

Posted by: oceanst41 (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 06, 2007 07:23PM

O'Byrne wearing #3 and playing with Hamrlick. Drew the games first penalty (which MTL scored on) and has two nice checks so far. He had NESN's Jack Edwards talking about his literal and figurative impact on the game so far in his debut.

Date: December 06, 2007 07:29PM

If I watched that play correctly, I think he got an assist but not a plus. I could've been wrong though, but I think he made a pass, got on the bench, and then the second goal scored.

Date: December 06, 2007 07:29PM

O'Byrne gets his first NFL assist on a goal by Chipchura.

As stated above he jumped on the bench for a change so is still even for the night.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2007 07:31PM by oceanst41.

Date: December 06, 2007 07:33PM

First Cornell mention of the night, along with the 208 penalty minutes in 92 ECAC games ("uncivilized for an Ivy Leaguer";)

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.caltech.edu)
Date: December 06, 2007 08:11PM

oceanst41

As stated above he jumped on the bench for a change so is still even for the night.

I didn't know they had assists in the NFL. Is that like when you hand off the ball and the RB throws for a TD? :)

Date: December 06, 2007 08:12PM

Jacob '06
oceanst41

I didn't know they had assists in the NFL. Is that like when you hand off the ball and the RB throws for a TD? :)

Clearly I'm just distressed my Bruins are down 3-0...check that 3-1 ;-)

Although the NFL does give out assists on tackles, not that makes up for my gaff.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2007 08:13PM by oceanst41.

Re: Alumni in the Pros - O'Byrne
Posted by: cth95 (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: December 06, 2007 08:56PM

O'Byrne is taking regular shifts and seems to be playing well. I will be interested to hear what they say on the Team 990 out of Montreal tomorrow. I listen to that station a lot when I am driving in far northern Vermont 2 days/week for my job. They spend about 90% of the time talking hockey.

I do hope the Bruins' 2nd period rally continues, though. ;-)

Re: Alumni in the Pros - Leneveu
Date: December 06, 2007 09:01PM

Anyone know how much Leneveu will be affected (hopefully helped) by the trade of Auld from Phoenix to Boston?

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 06, 2007 09:13PM

oceanst41
O'Byrne wearing #3 and playing with Hamrlick. Drew the games first penalty (which MTL scored on) and has two nice checks so far. He had NESN's Jack Edwards talking about his literal and figurative impact on the game so far in his debut.

I am intrigued by this "figurative impact" of which you speak...

Date: December 06, 2007 09:22PM

O'Byrne picks up his second assist of the game.

(Still even for the game since he was on the ice for Axelsson's goal in the second)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2007 09:25PM by oceanst41.

Date: December 06, 2007 09:23PM

Jordan 04
oceanst41

I think Jack Edwards was trying to accentuate the fact that he'd been throwing his weight around in addition to playing a solid game to that point.

Date: December 06, 2007 09:31PM

cth95
Anyone know how much Leneveu will be affected (hopefully helped) by the trade of Auld from Phoenix to Boston?

I'm going to guess not at all. Gretzky is really down on him, and he can't get out of that organization fast enough at the end of this season when his contract runs out. I guess between Aebeschir(sp?) going to Europe and the trade for Auld he is the 3rd/4th goalie option but I doubt he'll see NHL ice this year.

Date: December 06, 2007 11:26PM

Hate to say it, but I think Lenny's days as a bonafide NHL prospect are over. I don't think any team is going to pick up on an aging career AHLer who hasn't shown once that he can handle the NHL game, even given many opportunities.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (155.72.24.---)
Date: December 07, 2007 09:22AM

oceanst41
Jordan 04
oceanst41

I think Jack Edwards was trying to accentuate the fact that he'd been throwing his weight around in addition to playing a solid game to that point.

Gotcha.

Sounds like he had a solid game. Great to see!

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hortonpv.ul.warwick.net)
Date: December 07, 2007 09:38AM

nyiballs
Hate to say it, but I think Lenny's days as a bonafide NHL prospect are over. I don't think any team is going to pick up on an aging career AHLer who hasn't shown once that he can handle the NHL game, even given many opportunities.

I think that's a bit premature. Look how Tim Thomas has flourished after years of seemingly going nowhere.

Posted by: Tom Lento (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: December 07, 2007 10:31AM

scoop85
nyiballs

I think that's a bit premature. Look how Tim Thomas has flourished after years of seemingly going nowhere.

When Ryan Miller was 25 he was just getting his first real shot in the NHL. He'd played well in a few games, and then put up terrible numbers in his second stint before getting the better part of a season in as Buffalo's primary netminder. Of course, his AHL numbers were better than LeNeveu's.

LeNeveu will be 25 at the end of this season. I have a much better sense of what constitutes old in baseball, but I'm pretty sure 25 is still considered a young goaltender.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: December 07, 2007 11:04AM

Jordan 04
oceanst41
Jordan 04
oceanst41

Gotcha.

Sounds like he had a solid game. Great to see!

What is the likelihood that Ryan will stay up? My impression is he was a replacement for a punishment demotion.

Posted by: redhair34 (---.c3-0.nwt-ubr2.sbo-nwt.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: December 07, 2007 11:28AM

Trotsky
What is the likelihood that Ryan will stay up? My impression is he was a replacement for a punishment demotion.

Not sure, though if I had to guess I'd say a much better chance than Moulson had. Either way, he is an NHL defenseman in the making based on his size and speed alone.

Date: December 07, 2007 01:20PM

redhair34
Trotsky
Not sure, though if I had to guess I'd say a much better chance than Moulson had. Either way, he is an NHL defenseman in the making based on his size and speed alone.
The impression I have is that the Canadiens definitely think of him as a real prospect, so if he continues playing well and demonstrating that he's ready then I don't see why they'd send him down.

Posted by: Chris 02 (---.aere.iastate.edu)
Date: December 07, 2007 01:54PM

How is it that they keep track to the second of all the ice-time in box scores? On Yahoo, they just list total ice time, but on ESPN they list everything, PP, SH, and even. I think someone posted some kind of graph on here a while back. Seems like a lot of stats keeping.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: December 07, 2007 02:16PM

The NHL keeps track of an obscene amount of stats. Most of them just don't make it into the average box score. Here's a sample:

[www.nhl.com]

Date: December 07, 2007 02:17PM

Chris 02
How is it that they keep track to the second of all the ice-time in box scores? On Yahoo, they just list total ice time, but on ESPN they list everything, PP, SH, and even. I think someone posted some kind of graph on here a while back. Seems like a lot of stats keeping.

From what I've seen on forums online, this should be pretty easy using software that the NHL uses. I assume it is something straightforward like having a screen with every roster number on it and just clicking the player's number as they go off/on the ice.

Posted by: crodger1 (---.abtassoc.com)
Date: December 07, 2007 02:22PM

Chris 02

I'm slightly confused by your question. What do you mean by "how is it"?

In any case, I think I might be the one who posted the chart you were talking about (maybe). From the scores pages at NHL.com (for instance, yesterday's O'B game is on this list [www.nhl.com] ) you can get time on ice information (TOI) and also the event summary. There's also a game number at the top of both of those (0406).

If you then go to www.timeonice.com and tell it that this was game number "20406" (I don't know why you have to add the 2 to the front of the game number) you can see the shift charts lined up against power plays and goals. Is that what you were looking for?

Chris

LGR!

Date: December 07, 2007 03:30PM

25... It depends. Look and Lunqvist and DiPietro. DP is 26 and Lundqvist is 25.

As for Tim Thomas... he was never a prospect. He got a change though and ran with it. Ryan Miller... he was still looked favorably by his management and got chances with the same organization.

Lenny will have to find another franchise willing to invest in him and take a chance. That won't be easy. With the experienced tenders out there and the never-ending stream of prospects, it just won't happen.

Look at Yann Danis... his AHL numbers have been outstanding. He got a shutout in his first NHL game, and he is still below Carey Price and others on Montreal's depth chart. (and to be fair, I think Danis' numbers were more impressive than Lenny's in college. He played on a MUCH weaker team).

It's a tough prospect getting into and stayin in the NHL as a goaltender. There are only 60 spots for the entire world to fill.

Posted by: Tom Lento (---.soc.cornell.edu)
Date: December 07, 2007 04:22PM

nyiballs
It's a tough prospect getting into and stayin in the NHL as a goaltender. There are only 60 spots for the entire world to fill.

No argument with that, but I don't think LeNeveu is out based on age or past performance at this point. He's done well enough in the AHL, and played well in some of his 21 NHL games (although he was awful in some of them). His NHL time seems more like a few cups of coffee than "many opportunities" to me, but maybe NHL GMs see the world differently than I do.

His AHL/NHL career trajectory over the first 4 years isn't *that* much different from guys like Miller and DiPietro. If you look at the numbers, Miller and DiPietro weren't any better than LeNeveu during their first 20-30 games at the NHL level than he was (in fact, they may have been worse). Like you say, the big difference is that those guys had teams committed to their development, instead of Phoenix, which doesn't seem committed to developing ANY goaltending talent.

After a little more digging, I see Ilya Bryzgalov actually has an almost identical career pattern to LeNeveu, just with fewer NHL games early in his career - second round draft pick, several seasons in the minors with a few cups of coffee in the pros, and then a season or two as a back up starting at age 25. At 27, he's Phoenix's starter, and is essentially an average NHL goalie stats-wise.

Bad luck for LeNeveu ending up in Phoenix. It may be that he's not good enough, too, but he may never really find out. However, some other team might well be willing to take a chance on him, given his numbers, his size, his technique, and the fact that he really *hasn't* gotten time at the NHL level but *has* spent a few seasons developing in the AHL.

In two seasons, if he's still flailing around posting a .910 save % in the AHL, then I'd agree that he's beyond a long shot for the NHL. At this point, I think he still qualifies as a legitimate prospect, just not the can't miss, A-list prospect he was when he first signed with Phoenix. He'll need a few breaks to make it to the NHL, just like any AHL goaltending prospect, but he's not done yet.

Date: December 07, 2007 04:56PM

CowbellGuy
The NHL keeps track of an obscene amount of stats. Most of them just don't make it into the average box score. Here's a sample:

[www.nhl.com]
Ugh, did you have to pick the report from THAT game? bang

Re: Alumni in the Pros - Leneveu in 2 sentences
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 07, 2007 04:57PM

>>> Bad luck for LeNeveu ending up in Phoenix. It may be that he's not good enough, too, but he may never really find out.

Nice summary of Leneveu's chances.

Date: December 07, 2007 05:43PM

Josh '99
CowbellGuy

[www.nhl.com]
Ugh, did you have to pick the report from THAT game? bang

Would you have preferred this game? I should would.

[www.nhl.com]

Date: December 07, 2007 07:58PM

scoop85
nyiballs

Not to mention Manny Legace:
[www.hockeydb.com]

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 07, 2007 10:50PM

Murray +1 after one period as SJ leads Phoenix 1-0. At the beginning of the season, who would have thought Douglas would be getting a regular shift, while Matt Carle has been relegated to spot duty? crazy

Posted by: Brian (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 08, 2007 09:54AM

Check out the line for the Manchester/Worcester game last night. The first player in the shoot out for each team was a Cornell alum and they both scored! Swweeeett!

Date: December 08, 2007 11:23AM

Brian
Check out the line for the Manchester/Worcester game last night. The first player in the shoot out for each team was a Cornell alum and they both scored! Swweeeett!

Feel free to, y'know, tell us who they were or provide a link to the aforementioned line for the game.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: RichH (76.28.11.---)
Date: December 08, 2007 12:21PM

Beeeej
Brian

Feel free to, y'know, tell us who they were or provide a link to the aforementioned line for the game.

Yeah, seriously. So I went and did the work:

[stats.theahl.com]

Moulson and Iggulden. Moulson is wearing an "A" for Manchester and Iggulden had an assist in the game.

Posted by: Brian (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 08, 2007 04:44PM

You don't have the AHL and NHL pages bookmarked or added to your favorites? I'm disappointed. Quit your complaining atleast I let you know it was out there for your reading enjoyment!:`-(

Date: December 08, 2007 07:16PM

O'byrne started for the Habs tonight, but picked up a minus on his 2nd shift.

Date: December 09, 2007 11:14AM

Brian
You don't have the AHL and NHL pages bookmarked or added to your favorites? I'm disappointed. Quit your complaining atleast I let you know it was out there for your reading enjoyment!:`-(

Nicely played. The only thing funnier than this post is the very real possibility that you might actually be serious.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 09, 2007 01:38PM

Jacob '06
O'byrne started for the Habs tonight, but picked up a minus on his 2nd shift.
Not a good night for our alumni defensemen. The Habs lost 5-1 at home against Carolina, and O'Byrne was -2 in 19:18 of ice time; the Sharks lost 7-1 at home against Buffalo, and Murray was -1 (which I guess isn't so bad when your team loses 7-1) in 19:23 of ice time.

Date: December 09, 2007 01:45PM

Tony Marinaro on the Team 990 thought the Canadiens nead to keep O'Byrne and Lapierre in the line up if they are going to turn their season around. He said he knew it was only one game, but Tony spoke very highly of O'Byrne's performance.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: December 09, 2007 03:27PM

I saw one of the highlights. His D-partner gave up a 2 on 1. O'B was the man back and played it well, but couldn't stop the pass.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.rbccm.com)
Date: December 10, 2007 01:06PM

How does O'Byrne's decision making and speed look at the NHL level? Has anyone seen both of his games? I may be in Montreal over the holidays and try to see a game. I hope he sticks but it often seems that for your d-men they're often sent back down at least once.....even if they're good prospects (as Ryan is), particularly if they have other prospects that they want to see in NHL game action.

Regarding Murray versus Carle, how about that contract Carle signed (4 years, $13.75mm)? I haven't heard of any injuries, seems like a protracted sophomore slump.

Re: Alumni in the Pros - Canadiens Fan Forum
Date: December 10, 2007 02:37PM

Here is a link to the Canadiens Fan Forum. The few I read were all positive and pretty excited about O'Byrne.

[forum.canadiens.com]

Posted by: sah67 (---.64.171.66.subscriber.vzavenue.net)
Date: December 10, 2007 04:13PM

cth95
Here is a link to the Canadiens Fan Forum. The few I read were all positive and pretty excited about O'Byrne.

[forum.canadiens.com]

That one's archived. The current O'Byrne thread is here:
[forum.canadiens.com]

Posted by: Cactus12 (---.med.nyu.edu)
Date: December 10, 2007 04:19PM

Hopefully OB has outgrown the "mishandle-and-turnover-the-puck-2-feet-in-front-of-his-own-net" move or the Canadiens fans will not be as satisfied in a few weeks

Posted by: profudge (---.ct.us.ibm.com)
Date: December 10, 2007 05:03PM

I watched the whole game of SJ vs Buffalo on Sat night on the tube - and thought Doug was a shade slow, but made up for it in general with good positioning. The Sabres were all over the Sharks for most of the game, team hustle and speed made the difference.
Doug had a couple of good checks and played OK but the Sharks as a team were a step slow and leaving folks open in red zone too much.
Ryan Miller was really impressive in net also.

Date: December 10, 2007 05:26PM

sah67
cth95

[forum.canadiens.com]

That one's archived. The current O'Byrne thread is here:
[forum.canadiens.com]

I went to your link and it was also archived. Maybe we have to surf to the right page of the links we posted. When I copied the link in originally, it was current.

OT: Douglas Murray, the Ultimate Enforcer
Posted by: redice (---.154.219.50.Dial1.Boston1.Level3.net)
Date: December 11, 2007 06:47AM

From today's Ithaca Journal- San Jose Security

"The San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara area of northern California is the most secure large metropolitan area (population 500,000 or more), while the most secure mid-size city (population between 150,000 - 500,000) is Olympia, Wash"

I guess Douglas' enforcer reputation reaches beyond the hockey arenas. ;-)

-Ned Harkness

Re: Alumni in the Pros - McKee
Posted by: The Rancor (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: December 11, 2007 01:19PM

MCKEE IN CONTROL: In his last three starts, goalie Dave McKee has stopped 143 of 151 shots, including a career-high and RoadRunners’ ECHL record 57 last Tuesday, to post a 2.59 goals against average and a sizzling .947% save percentage since Nov. 29. The 57 saves were two shy of a personal-best for McKee who turned aside 59 shots in a 1-0 triple overtime loss while playing for Cornell University on March 26, 2006 against Wisconsin in the NCAA Midwest Regional Final.

much improvement from the beginning of the season.

JMP is credited with scoring a goal
Posted by: redice (---.154.223.213.Dial1.Boston1.Level3.net)
Date: December 11, 2007 02:49PM

From today's Ithaca Journal:

"There happens to be Big Red connection to goalie goals, as former Cornell keeper Jean-Marc Pelletier was credited with scoring a goal this season with Hamburg in Germany's premier pro hockey league, the Deutsche Eishockey Liga.

But unlike Hextall, who fired a puck directly at an empty net, Pelletier was merely a bystander to hockey's version of an own goal. With a delayed penalty signaled against Hamburg, Berlin pulled its goalie in favor of an extra attacker. Former NHL defenseman Deron Quint then sent a wayward pass into his own net, and since Pelletier was the last member of the Freezers to touch the puck, he was awarded credit for the goal."

Re: JMP is credited with scoring a goal
Posted by: Rita (---.agry.purdue.edu)
Date: December 11, 2007 04:13PM

redice
From today's Ithaca Journal: "There happens to be Big Red connection to goalie goals, as former Cornell keeper Jean-Marc Pelletier was credited with scoring a goal this season with Hamburg in Germany's premier pro hockey league, the Deutsche Eishockey Liga.

But unlike Hextall, who fired a puck directly at an empty net, Pelletier was merely a bystander to hockey's version of an own goal. With a delayed penalty signaled against Hamburg, Berlin pulled its goalie in favor of an extra attacker. Former NHL defenseman Deron Quint then sent a wayward pass into his own net, and since Pelletier was the last member of the Freezers to touch the puck, he was awarded credit for the goal."

This situation almost played out in a San Jose game last week. I think it was vs. Phoenix, but my memory is failing. I do remember that it was Craig Rivet (and not Murray) that sent the pass back into his own zone. Unfortunately, the announcers didn't want to go back and see who would have gotten credit for the goal had the puck gone in the net.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: December 11, 2007 04:30PM

From the NCAA rulebook:

During a delayed penalty, a goal may not be scored by the penalized team as a result of a deflection off of a penalized team player.

But I guess it's still ok to stuff it in your own net. More randomness. Marty Brodeur is the only (NHL, anyway) goalie with a game-winning goal. Chew on that. Makes me vomit a little.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2007 04:31PM by CowbellGuy.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 11, 2007 06:02PM

redice

"There happens to be Big Red connection to goalie goals, as former Cornell keeper Jean-Marc Pelletier was credited with scoring a goal this season with Hamburg in Germany's premier pro hockey league, the Deutsche Eishockey Liga.

This happened during a CU game years ago. I don't remember the player or team, but a penalty was called and then the opposition dropped the puck into their own net. The penalized player got credit for the goal. Anyone with a better memory?

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: December 11, 2007 06:32PM

Jim Hyla
redice

This happened during a CU game years ago. I don't remember the player or team, but a penalty was called and then the opposition dropped the puck into their own net. The penalized player got credit for the goal. Anyone with a better memory?
I forget the player's name or details at the moment, but as I recall the penalized Cornellian called it the prettiest goal he'd ever scored.

Re: AitP - December 2007 - Moulson
Posted by: crodger1 (---.abtassoc.com)
Date: December 11, 2007 06:44PM

RichH
Moulson is wearing an "A" for Manchester

Speaking of Moulson, I saw that the Kings just sent Gabe Gauthier back down after three games and called up Jeff Giuliano, who has played in 1 game so far. According to the NHL game rosters, all of three them were at left wing -- are the Kings looking for a permanent one or just brewing coffee for all the AHL left wingers in their system? It sure seems like they're searching for something.

This article just lists the Gauthier and Giuliano transactions (not worth clicking): [www.concordmonitor.com]

Re: AitP - December 2007 - Moulson
Date: December 11, 2007 06:50PM

crodger1
RichH
Moulson is wearing an "A" for Manchester

Speaking of Moulson, I saw that the Kings just sent Gabe Gauthier back down after three games and called up Jeff Giuliano, who has played in 1 game so far. According to the NHL game rosters, all of three them were at left wing -- are the Kings looking for a permanent one or just brewing coffee for all the AHL left wingers in their system? It sure seems like they're searching for something.

This article just lists the Gauthier and Giuliano transactions (not worth clicking): [www.concordmonitor.com]

They are actually looking for a 4th line center, but injuries have pretty much shuffled everything around. Once Frolov and Nagy come back in on the 2nd line, I think Giuliano will be a good fit for 4th line center and there won't be any more transactions. I think Frolov and Nagy are both due back next week.The Kings have finally been getting a little bit of secondary scoring from a few of their guys, so Moulson's chances of getting back up are getting slimmer. If they get in to another secondary scoring slump he may get called up to play 2nd or 3rd line winger.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: December 11, 2007 07:12PM

KeithK
I forget the player's name or details at the moment, but as I recall the penalized Cornellian called it the prettiest goal he'd ever scored.

Dave Crombeen.

It was in the final game of the 1986 RS, at Houston Field House. Cornell fell behind by 2-3 goals, but Crombeen's goal helped Cornell come all the way back to win in overtime, 7-6.

Crombeen was a very hard checking forward -- he would have been at home on the '03 team. He had 7 goals that season, which is frankly amazing to me. But then again, Dan Nichols is on the same pace.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2007 07:16PM by Trotsky.

Date: December 11, 2007 09:09PM

O'byrne had a pretty bad turnover with the puck hopping over his stick which lead to a goal, and he has only gotten one shift since. The coach seems to be messing with the defense pairings to keep him off the ice, but it is intermission now so we'll see what happens in the third.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 11, 2007 09:51PM

Trotsky
KeithK

Dave Crombeen.

It was in the final game of the 1986 RS, at Houston Field House. Cornell fell behind by 2-3 goals, but Crombeen's goal helped Cornell come all the way back to win in overtime, 7-6.

Crombeen was a very hard checking forward -- he would have been at home on the '03 team. He had 7 goals that season, which is frankly amazing to me. But then again, Dan Nichols is on the same pace.

Thanks, I thought RPI, but, as you get senile, you never know.

Date: December 11, 2007 10:01PM

Jacob '06
O'byrne had a pretty bad turnover with the puck hopping over his stick which lead to a goal, and he has only gotten one shift since. The coach seems to be messing with the defense pairings to keep him off the ice, but it is intermission now so we'll see what happens in the third.

Only 2 shifts in the third period.

Date: December 11, 2007 11:21PM

pretty bad is an understatement...that was an awful turnover. <www.tsn.ca> had a nice replay of it.

Posted by: Cactus12 (---.med.nyu.edu)
Date: December 11, 2007 11:58PM

I really wish I hadn't posted this...

Date: December 12, 2007 10:55AM

Don't be too hard on yourself. It could have happened to any of us. In any event, the Habs fans seem a lot more forgiving of his youthful indiscretions than eLF ever was.

Also, they are calling him "Rhino" - how did we not think of that?

Posted by: ftyuv (---.techtarget.com)
Date: December 12, 2007 11:19AM

ugarte
Also, they are calling him "Rhino" - how did we not think of that?

It's not because he's fat, not because he's got birds on his back, but because he's horny.

Posted by: nr53 (---.cisco.com)
Date: December 12, 2007 06:10PM

With all the injuries hitting San Jose, I'm surprised Iggulden hasn't been called up yet. I suppose they're just scraping by as is though.

Date: December 12, 2007 09:10PM

The never forgotten Robby Schremp was named the first star of the night in the AHL with two goals, an assist, and +2 for the Springfield Falcons on Tuesday.

For those of you who look at this stuff too...the paid attendance for that game (against the Binghamton Senators) was 1602.

Schremp is having a good season though. In 26 games he is 8+21.

Date: December 13, 2007 08:00PM

O'Byrne playing for MTL tonight again. Not getting a lot of ice time or at least I'm not seeing him or hearing his name much on the Flyers TV coverage. But he made a nice defensive play on Joffrey Lupul in a 1 on 1 rush.

Edit: O'B in the box (2:00 for hooking) for the Flyers first goal. Fortunately for him, Montreal is up 4-1.

Also, in some more random alumni news Brian McCutcheon gets a mention by Marty Biron on "Coatsey's Corner" between periods.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2007 08:34PM by Jeff Hopkins '82.

Date: December 13, 2007 08:36PM

Well (I'm assuming you already know this) that's because Biron was coached by McCutcheon in Rochester from 1997-2000 and is responsible for most of his pro-development, and then continued with Biron into Buffalo up until Biron's trade to the Flyers.

Biron really shined with McCutcheon in the AHL. He had a great season in 1998-1999 going 36-13-3 with 6 SO's and a 2.07 GAA. He won the Aldege Bastien (AHL version of the Vezina) and was a first-team all-star. Rochester lost to Providence in 5 games in the Calder Cup Finals. I was at all the games in Rochester, real heart breaker.

Posted by: WillCMJr (---.bing.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 14, 2007 02:49AM

amerks127
The never forgotten Robby Schremp....

Someone want to tell me who in the hell that is?

Posted by: LaJollaRed (---.san.res.rr.com)
Date: December 14, 2007 12:19PM

I have no idea...But according to the Internet Hockey Database, I shouldn't really feel bad about knowing who that is.

[www.hockeydb.com]

The Hockey DB is a great website. They're Cornell records are remarkably up to date.

Date: December 14, 2007 12:22PM

He never played for Cornell, but he's from Syracuse and his name has surfaced a few times on this board.

Posted by: RichH (216.195.201.---)
Date: December 14, 2007 12:46PM

amerks127
He never played for Cornell, but he's from Syracuse and his name has surfaced a few times on this board.

Apparently, he's fond of the "lacrosse" style goals in shootouts:

Date: December 14, 2007 01:21PM

LaJollaRed
I have no idea...But according to the Internet Hockey Database, I shouldn't really feel bad about knowing who that is.

[www.hockeydb.com]

Robbie Schremp's insane stat sheet
2005-06 London Knights OHL 57GP 57G 88A 145Pts
Yowza. I'm surprised that I had never heard of him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2007 01:22PM by ugarte.

Date: December 14, 2007 03:40PM

LaJollaRed
The Hockey DB is a great website. They're Cornell records are remarkably up to date.
More precisely, HockeyDB has tremendously good information and tremendously poor site performance because of ads and popups.

Date: December 14, 2007 08:55PM

amerks127
Well (I'm assuming you already know this) that's because Biron was coached by McCutcheon in Rochester from 1997-2000 and is responsible for most of his pro-development, and then continued with Biron into Buffalo up until Biron's trade to the Flyers.

Biron really shined with McCutcheon in the AHL. He had a great season in 1998-1999 going 36-13-3 with 6 SO's and a 2.07 GAA. He won the Aldege Bastien (AHL version of the Vezina) and was a first-team all-star. Rochester lost to Providence in 5 games in the Calder Cup Finals. I was at all the games in Rochester, real heart breaker.

Yes, but what I didn't know was that McCutcheon and Coatsey were apparently roommates in the pros.

For what that's worth rolleyes

Posted by: sah67 (---.64.171.66.subscriber.vzavenue.net)
Date: December 19, 2007 01:43AM

Not a bad Tuesday night for Cornell alums in the AHL:

Matt Moulson had a goal and two assists in a 6-2 Manchester victory over Portland, while Iggulden had two goals and an assist in a 5-3 win for Worcester over Lowell.

Re: Canadiens Fan Forum- O'Byrne Page
Date: December 19, 2007 09:49AM

This link should stay current.

[forum.canadiens.com]

Posted by: oceanst41 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: December 22, 2007 01:37PM

Not a Cornell alumnus, but Lee Stempniak just scored his 100th NHL point against the Bruins.

This prompted Jack Edwards to say, "Well Lee must love big time winter weather, seeing as he spent four years at Dartmouth. As far as those Ivy League guys are concerned, there is only one place colder than Hanover, New Hampshire, and that's Ithaca, New York."

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 22, 2007 02:12PM

oceanst41
This prompted Jack Edwards to say, "Well Lee must love big time winter weather, seeing as he spent four years at Dartmouth. As far as those Ivy League guys are concerned, there is only one place colder than Hanover, New Hampshire, and that's Ithaca, New York."
And, that, of course, is not true.

Average high/low temps in Ithaca: Jan (31/10); Feb (37/16); Mar (49/27)

Average high/low temps in Hanover: Jan (29/9); Feb (34/12); Mar (43/22)

Date: December 22, 2007 02:30PM

The NHL Network is carrying an ECHL game tonight (Sat, 12/22) at 7 PM EST - Wheeling vs. Cincinnati. If you have Comcast and a sports pack, check because it might have been added in the past few weeks (Comcast owns the network) - other providers have been picking it up too, after it launched in October or so.

Of local interest, on Cincinnati, Cornell alum John Gleed. Also in the game, Nathan Marsters (RPI - Wheeling) and Dov Hyphen-hyphen (Sucks - Cincinnati).

Posted by: oceanst41 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: December 22, 2007 03:54PM

Al DeFlorio
oceanst41

It's the clouds, if wasn't for the fact that Ithaca is always cloudy (disclaimer: unless it's the summer time or Cornell Days), we'd win the cold battle hands down. Sitting on top of East Hill in a stiff breeze in January though I'd have no arguments about Ithaca being the coldest. ;-)

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 22, 2007 04:17PM

oceanst41
Al DeFlorio
oceanst41

It's the clouds, if wasn't for the fact that Ithaca is always cloudy (disclaimer: unless it's the summer time or Cornell Days), we'd win the cold battle hands down. Sitting on top of East Hill in a stiff breeze in January though I'd have no arguments about Ithaca being the coldest. ;-)
I guess you've never been to Hanover in the winter.;-)

Posted by: redice (---.154.221.153.Dial1.Boston1.Level3.net)
Date: December 22, 2007 09:02PM

DeltaOne81
The NHL Network is carrying an ECHL game tonight (Sat, 12/22) at 7 PM EST - Wheeling vs. Cincinnati. If you have Comcast and a sports pack, check because it might have been added in the past few weeks (Comcast owns the network) - other providers have been picking it up too, after it launched in October or so.

Of local interest, on Cincinnati, Cornell alum John Gleed. Also in the game, Nathan Marsters (RPI - Wheeling) and Dov Hyphen-hyphen (Sucks - Cincinnati).

To clarify, Wheeling is not playing Cincinnati tonight (12/22/07). Wheeling is playing Elmira tonight. So, the game on NHLN must be an old one. I'm too lazy to figure out the date that this game was originally played. In the limited time that I spent watching the game, I didn't hear/see Jon Gleed's name. Marsters had 50 saves and I don't think hyphen played.

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 23, 2007 09:14AM

Al DeFlorio

ever been to Potsdam in late January or early February? frostbite is just a part of life for some...

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: December 23, 2007 11:49AM

Dpperk29
Al DeFlorio

ever been to Potsdam in late January or early February? frostbite is just a part of life for some...
Yes, we all know Potsdam is a frozen wasteland comparable to the eighth circle of hell. But we were talking about Ivy League schools here, you green and gold traitor. :-P

Posted by: nyc94 (---.dsl.wlfrct.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 23, 2007 04:47PM

Al DeFlorio
oceanst41

If Ithaca were colder we would be the ones with the serious drinking problems and keg for a mascot. Or maybe their tradition of drinking stems from not admitting women until 1972.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 23, 2007 11:16PM

Al DeFlorio
oceanst41

Considering Jack Edwards went to UNH, you'd think he'd have a better understanding of the winter weather in New Hampshire.

Re: Alumni in the Pros - December 2007 - Habs - Panthers 12/28
Posted by: JDeafv (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 28, 2007 08:04PM

O'Byrne and the Canadians are playing the Panthers on NHL Network right now. Canadians up 3-0 in the first 5 minutes.

Panthers started a scrum by going after Higgins and O'Byrne came to the rescue (taking 2 for roughing), and the TSN announcers were very happy about the additional size O'Byrne brings to lineup for the Canadians.

O'Byrne's first shift after the penalty his D partner puts the puck in the middle stranding O'Byrne who was forced to take a penalty. O'Byrne looks good in what I've seen so far.

Also, the electronic boards the Panthers have are kinda crazy.

------
Update: O'Byrne had two fighting majors. He hit Campbell with a perfect hip-check and the Panthers took exception. The first fight (Kreps) was immediately after the hit (not much of a fight, but both got 5 mins). Ryan's first shift back from that major he gets attacked by Glass who came directly off the Panthers bench at O'Byrne. More punches in the second fight, and all the TSN commentators could say was "Wow, the Panthers are really upset about that clean hit." O'Byrne finished +2 on the night and had a pretty good game.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2007 10:07PM by JDeafv.

Posted by: cbuckser (---.dsl.scrm01.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 29, 2007 12:20AM

JDeafv
O'Byrne had two fighting majors. He hit Campbell with a perfect hip-check and the Panthers took exception. The first fight (Kreps) was immediately after the hit (not much of a fight, but both got 5 mins). Ryan's first shift back from that major he gets attacked by Glass who came directly off the Panthers bench at O'Byrne. More punches in the second fight, and all the TSN commentators could say was "Wow, the Panthers are really upset about that clean hit." O'Byrne finished +2 on the night and had a pretty good game.

Bill Bestwick would be proud. Ryan O'Byrne and Tanner Glass were teammates with the Nanaimo Clippers late in the 2002-03 season.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: December 29, 2007 12:59PM

EDIT: Ignore my redundancy below. I somehow missed mention of the fights in the post I replied to. uhoh At any rate, here are O'Byrne's two fights last night: [hockeyfights.com]

O'Byrne's Canadiens scored on their first THREE shots last night. O'B contributed with 18 PIM including two third period fights. The second fight was against Tanner Glass (Dartmouth '07), who apparently plays in the NHL these days...

Probably video floating around somewhere. Maybe it will show up on hockeyfights.com or youtube. A huge O'Byrne hit led to the first fight. You can see it by clicking on the video here: [canadiens.nhl.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2007 09:33PM by Chris '03.

Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login