Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Riley Nash Brown Goal

Posted by Jim Hyla 
Riley Nash Brown Goal
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 02, 2007 10:41AM

Well I finally got around to posting

it on YouTube. Quality needs to be improved, but it's the best I could do last night. I couldn't upload the mov file so I had to mp4 it. Any suggestions?

I especially like the announcers stating "another good kill" just as he was breaking in to score.

Re: Riley Nash Brown Goal
Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 02, 2007 11:04AM

Nice work, Jim. Simply love it. Looks even easier in the video than in person.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: December 02, 2007 12:22PM

Thanks, Jim! Now many of us can die in peace. ;-)

Is that a huggy bear at center ice at Brown too?

Posted by: redice (---.157.14.78.Dial1.Boston1.Level3.net)
Date: December 02, 2007 12:28PM

Thanks from here too, Jim. As one of the announcers said, Riley make it look easy. One for the ages!!

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 02, 2007 02:06PM

Any chance we could arrange a penalty shot for Nash so maybe we can get off this horrendous decades-long schneid?cry

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: December 02, 2007 02:37PM

Ditto!

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Robb (---.gradacc.ox.ac.uk)
Date: December 02, 2007 05:06PM

What a letdown. :)

Not that it was a bad goal, obviously, but he really only beat one player, (right at the blue line), and that guy only gave a halfhearted poke check because he knew there were two defenders behind him. They just stood still and let Riley split them.

Definitely a heads-up play by Riley to see the opening and go for it, and it's great that we have a player with the jets to make two defenders look like they're standing still, but the defense didn't do themselves any favors, either. I was expecting Riley to have to deke at least one more time based on the descriptions, but he basically just walked in on goal from the blueline.

Good on him, but shame on the defense!

Posted by: BCrespi (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 02, 2007 08:12PM

Agreed, I remember it being more spectacular in person. That said, the move he put on the goaltender was very nice, and I don't think that part showed well in the video. Additionally, the complete shock our entire section was in at Brown must have meant it was pretty incredible.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 02, 2007 08:41PM

Part of the impact was that he did skate almost the length of the ice (especially if you count the big loop back toward our goal after he first got the puck in the neutral zone). Give him credit both for swerving around one man at the center line and one at the blue line, then maintaining control and composure as two defenders converged on him in front of the goal.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 02, 2007 09:04PM

BCrespi
Agreed, I remember it being more spectacular in person. That said, the move he put on the goaltender was very nice, and I don't think that part showed well in the video. Additionally, the complete shock our entire section was in at Brown must have meant it was pretty incredible.

Yes it was a lot more impressive in person. just listening to the Brown announcers should tell you that. The spontaneous "highlight reel" and all the talk about how impressive he was, his points total for the weekend, discussion about him being on the way to a weekly award, surely lets you know how impressed they were. It's also better in a better video format, so I'll try and work on getting a mov file uploaded. Anyone got any suggestions about why it might not have worked?

Posted by: Cactus12 (---.med.nyu.edu)
Date: December 02, 2007 10:43PM

The problem is the actual filming. When you watch NHL or even CSTV, they'll zoom in on a player as he maintains control of the puck (and even the initial zoom is considerably closer). It's very difficult to see stickhandling from space. Still you can tell that he pulled off some nice moves.

Posted by: RichH (76.28.11.---)
Date: December 02, 2007 10:58PM

BCrespi

Yeah. Pausing the video at the point he's approaching the blueline, I think most of us in the arena just assumed a dump-in for a line change to go back to 5x5. Suddenly, and without much frenzy, the red light was on. I think it took about 2.5 strides to make it from the blue line to the shot. Our shock was how fast it happened, when a second before there were 3 defenders. That's something about the Nash brothers...they're just so calm and quiet with their skating. If the moves were actually more spectacular and frenzied, we would've gone more berzerk as it was happening.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2007 11:00PM by RichH.

Posted by: sah67 (---.64.171.66.subscriber.vzavenue.net)
Date: December 02, 2007 11:23PM

Jim Hyla
Yes it was a lot more impressive in person. just listening to the Brown announcers should tell you that. The spontaneous "highlight reel" and all the talk about how impressive he was, his points total for the weekend, discussion about him being on the way to a weekly award, surely lets you know how impressed they were.

Especially astounding since the Brown announcers were, as usual, huge tools for the other 99% of the broadcast with gems like:

"Yeah, these Cornell kids really love to play road games, because then they get to escape from Ithaca."

"I once saw a bumper sticker that read "Happiness is Ithaca in the rear-view mirror...I couldn't agree more with that."

"Cornell is offsides AGAIN! Unbelievable...do they know where onsides is?"

And my personal favorite, after an advertisement for Spats (sic) Pub:
Color: "Do you want to get a bite there after the game?"
Play-by-play: "I'm more worried about my pipes after announcing three games"
Color: "Gotta get some fluids in you"
Play-by-play: "I hear you can do that at Spats too."
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2007 11:35PM by sah67.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login