Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Next BU game

Posted by sah67 
Next BU game
Posted by: sah67 (---.64.171.66.subscriber.vzavenue.net)
Date: November 26, 2007 08:37AM

Jack Parker is quoted in today's Ithaca Journal as saying the next game will be "Saturday, Nov. 28, 2009 at Agganis Arena". This seems like it may be a typo, as I was under the impression (from previous Schafer/Parker comments) that the series would continue next season, and not take a year-off until 09-10.

Re: Next BU game
Posted by: heykb (131.249.80.---)
Date: November 26, 2007 11:23AM

Fwiw, Nov 28 is a Saturday in 2009. It's unlikely he got the year wrong.

I'd rather they not skip a year, too.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: November 26, 2007 11:50AM

heykb

And November 28, 2008 is a Friday. Your point?

Posted by: Killer (---.fidelity.com)
Date: November 26, 2007 12:03PM

Regardless, I'm there.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: November 26, 2007 12:10PM

CowbellGuy
heykb

And November 28, 2008 is a Friday. Your point?

I assumed the point was that Parker was unlikely to get the year wrong when he was specific about the date and the day of the week.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: heykb (131.249.80.---)
Date: November 26, 2007 12:22PM

Beeeej's reply is on point.

Posted by: evilnaturedrobot (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 26, 2007 05:43PM

That's disappointing, if true. Kind of strange that this agreement was finalized last spring, there was no scheduling issue this year, yet there are conflicts two years down the line? You'd think that it would be easier to fit a game like this in the farther out you got. But whatever, as Killer said, I'll be there when it happens.

Posted by: RichH (216.195.201.---)
Date: November 26, 2007 06:13PM

evilnaturedrobot
That's disappointing, if true. Kind of strange that this agreement was finalized last spring, there was no scheduling issue this year, yet there are conflicts two years down the line? You'd think that it would be easier to fit a game like this in the farther out you got. But whatever, as Killer said, I'll be there when it happens.

Remember, BU has to find time to play Harvard 6 times a year.

Posted by: Avash (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: November 26, 2007 06:28PM

There is indeed an off-year as far as the BU/Cornell series.

Parker at the press conference after the game (when asked about a possible return trip to MSG):

"We can't do it next year because we're both booked up with our schedules, but we'd like to come back here again. The next time we're supposed to play Cornell is this weekend, Thanksgiving Saturday, two years from now at our place. And then the third year it's supposed to go back to Lynah. So it's possible that we can bring this game back here two years from now."

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 26, 2007 06:34PM

RichH
evilnaturedrobot

With Harvard's OOC record, can you blame them?

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 26, 2007 06:41PM

DeltaOne81
RichH
evilnaturedrobot

With Harvard's OOC record, can you blame them?
Hate to say it, Fred, but I'm not especially happy with Cornell's OOC record as of today.:`-(

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 26, 2007 10:30PM

Avash '05

Parker at the press conference after the game (when asked about a possible return trip to MSG):

"We can't do it next year because we're both booked up with our schedules, but we'd like to come back here again. The next time we're supposed to play Cornell is this weekend, Thanksgiving Saturday, two years from now at our place. And then the third year it's supposed to go back to Lynah. So it's possible that we can bring this game back here two years from now."
Wait, if we're playing them at Agganis two years from now, and at Lynah three years from now, then wouldn't the next time for a potential MSG matchup be FOUR years off?

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: November 26, 2007 10:34PM

Josh '99
Avash '05

Wait, if we're playing them at Agganis two years from now, and at Lynah three years from now, then wouldn't the next time for a potential MSG matchup be FOUR years off?

I had the sense he was subtly suggesting that the 2009 game could be moved from Agganis to MSG.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 26, 2007 10:35PM

Josh '99
Avash '05

I read this as Parker saying "the next 2 in the series are supposed to be home and home, but since this was so successful, it's possible we could just bring it back here."

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: November 27, 2007 12:31PM

Beeeej
Josh '99
Avash '05

I had the sense he was subtly suggesting that the 2009 game could be moved from Agganis to MSG.
Jordan 04
I read this as Parker saying "the next 2 in the series are supposed to be home and home, but since this was so successful, it's possible we could just bring it back here."
Ah, true, I suppose you could read it that way. That'd certainly be neat.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: November 28, 2007 12:10PM

I'd rather it at Agganis. I spend my Thanksgivings in Boston. :-/

Posted by: redice (---.154.220.227.Dial1.Boston1.Level3.net)
Date: November 28, 2007 01:26PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
I'd rather it at Agganis. I spend my Thanksgivings in Boston. :-/

And, I'd rather spend my Thanksgiving in Boston (than NYC).

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.itt.com)
Date: November 28, 2007 02:27PM

Still, the Banknorth Garden makes a lot of sense. Why not? I'd love an excuse to head up to Boston for a weekend again.

Posted by: RichH (216.195.201.---)
Date: November 28, 2007 02:32PM

I'd like to see it at Agganis for the simple purpose of being able to be a college hockey tourist; I really like to see my team play in different venues, be they new, old, large, small, historic, or dumpy. I've seen CU play in Walter Brown, and I'd love to see us visit Agganis.

And really, if they're talking about future MSG games, making it only semi-regular there would probably maximize attendance. Call me crazy, but doing it every two years certainly cuts into the whole "once-in-a-lifetime" angle that the coaches were selling. It just makes it less special. I mentioned in another thread that I'd like it at MSG once every four years. This ensures that each class would get a game there once, preserving that "golly" factor for all the undergrads.

My ideal schedule with BU:
One year at Agganis
One year at Lynah
One year at MSG
One year off.

In any order. For me, that's the perfect way to keep the rivalry fresh and exciting.

Posted by: redice (---.154.220.227.Dial1.Boston1.Level3.net)
Date: November 28, 2007 03:19PM

RichH
I'd like to see it at Agganis for the simple purpose of being able to be a college hockey tourist; I really like to see my team play in different venues, be they new, old, large, small, historic, or dumpy. I've seen CU play in Walter Brown, and I'd love to see us visit Agganis.

And really, if they're talking about future MSG games, making it only semi-regular there would probably maximize attendance. Call me crazy, but doing it every two years certainly cuts into the whole "once-in-a-lifetime" angle that the coaches were selling. It just makes it less special. I mentioned in another thread that I'd like it at MSG once every four years. This ensures that each class would get a game there once, preserving that "golly" factor for all the undergrads.

One year at Agganis
One year at Lynah
One year at MSG
One year off.

In any order. For me, that's the perfect way to keep the rivalry fresh and exciting.

How about Agganis, MSG, Banknorth Garden, Lynah?

But, I have to admit that it's unlikely that both schools will dedicate one non-conference game each year to the other.

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: November 28, 2007 04:47PM

redice
RichH

One year at Agganis
One year at Lynah
One year at MSG
One year off.

How about Agganis, MSG, Banknorth Garden, Lynah?

But, I have to admit that it's unlikely that both schools will dedicate one non-conference game each year to the other.

Why not? While both may not be title contenders each year, it's a decent matchup to be able to pencil in each year (though it will be hard to say goodbye to such great matchups as Wayne State and Merchyhust).

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: redice (---.154.223.191.Dial1.Boston1.Level3.net)
Date: November 28, 2007 05:26PM

French Rage
Why not? While both may not be title contenders each year, it's a decent matchup to be able to pencil in each year (though it will be hard to say goodbye to such great matchups as Wayne State and Merchyhust).

Yes, it's a decent matchup. And, we would all enjoy it. Especially we old-timers who enjoyed the CU-BU match-ups of 35-40 years ago. But, such a series would limit their other non-conference options. I can live with that. But, can Schafer & Parker?

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 28, 2007 05:32PM

If we've got room for a pair against UMass, we've got room on the schedule for one, even two, vs. BU.

Or invite them to play in the Florida tournament. BU must have lots of snowbirds in Florida, or their BU-alumni children, who'd come down for the week.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 28, 2007 05:47PM

I suspect BU has an easier time getting strong out-of-conference games than Cornell does. If I were Schafer I'd sign up without hesitation. And, as redice wrote, we "old-timers" would love to see this great rivalry renewed annually.

Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: November 28, 2007 05:59PM

An annual Cornell-BU game at MSG would be awesome every single year. Until the Ratner boondoggle is completed. Then they can move the game to Brooklyn.

Date: November 28, 2007 07:43PM

redice
French Rage

Yes, it's a decent matchup. And, we would all enjoy it. Especially we old-timers who enjoyed the CU-BU match-ups of 35-40 years ago. But, such a series would limit their other non-conference options. I can live with that. But, can Schafer & Parker?

But if it's a garuanteed good matchup each year, does it matter? If we were gauranteed home and homes with Minneosta, Michigan, BC, and North Dakota every year, would anyone complain about no other space being left?

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: November 28, 2007 08:07PM

French Rage
redice
French Rage

But if it's a garuanteed good matchup each year, does it matter? If we were gauranteed home and homes with Minneosta, Michigan, BC, and North Dakota every year, would anyone complain about no other space being left?
The question then is whether BU and Cornell are guaranteed to be good match-ups every year. Both schools have been good on a fairly consistent basis over the last 10 years or so but there have been speed bumps. It's not immediately clear that either team will be a top team in 2011, for instance.

There's also a question about optimizing the schedule. Even if Cornell remains pretty good looking forward, if Parker could schedule a "better" team (based on recent success) in that slot he might be wish to opt for the higher ranked team. Looking at scheduling history I suspect BU has a better chance of having such high end scheduling options so I'd expect Schafer to be more amenable to a permanent series than Parker.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: November 28, 2007 09:26PM

RichH

One year at Agganis
One year at Lynah
One year at MSG
One year off.

I think a more plausible way to do it is @MSG, @BU, Two off years, @MSG, @CU. I just don't see them playing three out of every four years.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 29, 2007 05:53PM

KeithK
The question then is whether BU and Cornell are guaranteed to be good match-ups every year.
There's rankings good and there's box office good. I can see an MSG match-up doing well year-in and year-out, regardless of how good the teams are. This year, for example, both are unranked.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: November 29, 2007 06:00PM

Trotsky
KeithK
The question then is whether BU and Cornell are guaranteed to be good match-ups every year.
There's rankings good and there's box office good. I can see an MSG match-up doing well year-in and year-out, regardless of how good the teams are. This year, for example, both are unranked.
Yeah, Cornell is always going to be a good box office draw. I was thinking in terms of PWR impact. I'm guessing that Parker considers that in scheduling more than Schafer is able to.

Date: November 29, 2007 06:35PM

KeithK
Trotsky
KeithK
Yeah, Cornell is always going to be a good box office draw. I was thinking in terms of PWR impact. I'm guessing that Parker considers that in scheduling more than Schafer is able to.

Each may not be a national title contender each year, but each is certainly likely to be better than CHA or AH teams. I guess for BU that's less of a problem overall, but for us it is, so a gauranteed BU matchup would certainly up the SoS nearly likely all of the time.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: November 29, 2007 06:50PM

French Rage
KeithK
Trotsky
KeithK

Each may not be a national title contender each year, but each is certainly likely to be better than CHA or AH teams. I guess for BU that's less of a problem overall, but for us it is, so a gauranteed BU matchup would certainly up the SoS nearly likely all of the time.
French Rage
You really have a hard time with that word, don't you? :-P

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login