Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Sawada interview in the Sun

Posted by sah67 
Sawada interview in the Sun
Posted by: sah67 (---.64.171.66.subscriber.vzavenue.net)
Date: October 26, 2007 12:24AM

10 Questions: Ray Sawada

One choice quote:
4. What’s your favorite Lynah Rink cheer?

Sawada: I would say the cheer they do when we come into the third period is my favorite. I’m not even sure what it is called.

Sun: Do you remember the words?

Sawada: No, I don’t.

Sun: You don’t even remember the words? OK, let me take this one step further: do you know the words to any Lynah cheer?

Sawada: ... This is bad isn’t it?

Re: Sawada interview in the Sun
Posted by: ebilmes (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 26, 2007 01:06AM

Sawada: Actually, I do remember one cheer. The one that goes, “Heyyy Bobby, I want to knowwww when you’re going to kill someone.” That one.

smashfreak

Posted by: dietlbomb (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 26, 2007 01:18AM

He's keeping his mind on the game.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: October 26, 2007 05:48AM

Funny interview, though.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 26, 2007 08:08AM

Sawada
Well I just think we have great team chemistry. We are 26 brothers out there who all have tremendous work ethic. And I’m not sure if you watched the games over the weekend but we had over 90 hits each game. So we’re going to be very physical each game and pretty much make the other team not want to be there.

Well, they certainly accomplished that. Everyone was finishing their checks. Looked like the days of old. If, as before, that can lead to goals, they will do alright.

Posted by: ftyuv (---.techtarget.com)
Date: October 26, 2007 09:07AM

ebilmes

Sawada: Actually, I do remember one cheer. The one that goes, “Heyyy Bobby, I want to knowwww when you’re going to kill someone.” That one.

smashfreak
To be fair to Sawada, given that this was a spoken interview, that could very well be an error on the Sun's part rather than his.

Posted by: ebilmes (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 26, 2007 12:14PM

ftyuv
ebilmes

To be fair to Sawada, given that this was a spoken interview, that could very well be an error on the Sun's part rather than his.

Exactly. I'm sure Sawada knows to whom the song refers, but whoever typed up the interview didn't.

Posted by: RichH (216.195.201.---)
Date: October 26, 2007 12:52PM

ebilmes
Exactly. I'm sure Sawada knows to whom the song refers, but whoever typed up the interview didn't.

Which raises the question...do the undergrads doing the singing even know? I mean, the current seniors were freshmen two years after Bâby graduated. It's sorta like chanting "We want Weder" 10 years after the fact.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2007 01:08PM by RichH.

Posted by: nr53 (---.cisco.com)
Date: October 26, 2007 12:57PM

Actually, Bâby graduated the year before last year's seniors were freshmen so it's even further removed from the current group of students.

Posted by: redhair34 (---.bc.edu)
Date: October 26, 2007 12:57PM

RichH
ebilmes

Which raises the question...do the undergrads doing the singing even know? I mean, the current seniors were freshmen two years after Bâby graduated. It's sorta like chanting "We want Weder" 10 years after the fact.

Some know, but most don't...for a while the pep band didn't play it very often, but I feel like it was resurrected last year.

Date: October 26, 2007 01:07PM

nr53
Actually, Bâby graduated the year before last year's seniors were freshmen so it's even further removed from the current group of students.

OK, good point. I meant to say there was a full-year separation, but have stopped thinking in academic year terms. Bâby left in May '03, current seniors came in Aug. '04. While that's "the year after" in calendar time, it is 2 years of classes. I'll edit.

Posted by: amerks127 (---.ilr.cornell.edu)
Date: October 26, 2007 01:14PM

People in A and B mostly know it, but I doubt other student sections do.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 26, 2007 01:25PM

RichH
ebilmes

But then, who amongst us ever went to Zinck's?

Posted by: ftyuv (---.techtarget.com)
Date: October 26, 2007 01:46PM

Jim Hyla
RichH
ebilmes

Or called anyone a piker for that matter.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: October 26, 2007 02:09PM

amerks127
Do any of the students know about BU as anything other than a safety school they didn't have to go to?

Date: October 26, 2007 02:10PM

Jim Hyla
RichH
ebilmes

Says you. My times at Zinck's were real corkers, they were. Quite the hootenanny! That Tee Fee Crane was quite the rag-a-muffin, a stinkeroo.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: October 26, 2007 03:03PM

RichH
Jim Hyla

Says you. My times at Zinck's were real corkers, they were. Quite the hootenanny! That Tee Fee Crane was quite the rag-a-muffin, a stinkeroo.
What are you talking about? We all liked good old Tee Fee. It's Davy we couldn't stand.

Posted by: evilnaturedrobot (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 26, 2007 03:34PM

Trotsky
amerks127
Do any of the students know about BU as anything other than a safety school they didn't have to go to?

this one does, and so do the people I stand with. As for the rest of them, my guess that those fans that read this board do, I don't see why the rest would know much about BU or the history of the ECAC

Posted by: dietlbomb (128.253.249.---)
Date: October 26, 2007 04:06PM

Perhaps due to the absense of Bâby, they should change the lyrics for Ray himself:

Rayyyy, Ray baby....

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: October 26, 2007 04:18PM

KeithK
RichH
Jim Hyla

What are you talking about? We all liked good old Tee Fee. It's Davy we couldn't stand.
That's what I remember hearing also, but I could never figure out why we call Tee Fee Crane a bitch if it was Davy we didn't like.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: October 26, 2007 05:40PM

Josh '99
That's what I remember hearing also, but I could never figure out why we call Tee Fee Crane a bitch if it was Davy we didn't like.
Hmmm, you think maybe it has something to do with the phrasing of Mr. Cohan's music?

Posted by: Townie (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 26, 2007 10:15PM

KeithK
Josh '99
Hmmm, you think maybe it has something to do with the phrasing of Mr. Cohan's music?

I thought Tee Fee was a snitch. Didn't he rat out the druken piker to Davy leading to the expulsion?

Posted by: BMac (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 26, 2007 10:20PM

I don't understand why we can't just go "Hey....hey, Ray Ray!"

He'd appreciate it. We'd like it. He does kill people. It makes PERFECT sense.

Besides, who's Bâby? :-)

PS Yes, I'm a current senior. From reading the forum I know who he is, but no reason not to update the cheer.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: October 26, 2007 11:10PM

I still want to know who this Auger guy is...

Posted by: cbuckser (---.dsl.scrm01.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 30, 2007 11:19PM

Though I found the interview entertaining, I disagree with the premise of the first question. What is so unusual about Raymond Sawada having a Japanese middle name and surname? After Devin Setoguchi's two-goal NHL debut last night (Is there a better way to have a successful debut than to play on Joe Thornton's line?), four Japanese Canadians have played in the NHL in the last few years: Paul Kariya, Steve Kariya, Setoguchi, and Jamie Storr. In addition, David Tanabe is Japanese American.

Posted by: Robb (---.gradacc.ox.ac.uk)
Date: October 31, 2007 08:40AM

cbuckser
Though I found the interview entertaining, I disagree with the premise of the first question. What is so unusual about Raymond Sawada having a Japanese middle name and surname? After Devin Setoguchi's two-goal NHL debut last night (Is there a better way to have a successful debut than to play on Joe Thornton's line?), four Japanese Canadians have played in the NHL in the last few years: Paul Kariya, Steve Kariya, Setoguchi, and Jamie Storr. In addition, David Tanabe is Japanese American.

So that's 4 out of maybe a thousand people who have played in the NHL in the last few years. If that's not "unusual," then what's your working definition? Seems unusual to me. Not Jackie-Robinson groundbreaking, of course, but unusual nonetheless.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 02, 2007 05:00PM

ebilmes
ftyuv
ebilmes

These mistakes do happen. Legendary Car and Driver / Automobile editor David E. Davis was interviewed about auto safety and he talked about self-styled reformmers, using the term Savonarolas. The Automotive News reporter printed it as Savannah Rollers.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login