Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell 0 Trois Rivieres 0 (OT)

Posted by Trotsky 
Cornell 0 Trois Rivieres 0 (OT)
Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: October 19, 2007 10:28AM

Finally.

[cornellsun.com]

M. Hockey Plays Final Exhibition Games
October 18, 2007
By Michael Mix

Canada is known for its amicable relations with the United States. This weekend, though, the men’s hockey team will take on its neighbor from the north, as it opens its season with two exhibition games at Lynah Rink. Cornell faces off against Trois Rivieres tonight and the University of Ottawa on Sunday afternoon.

This will be the first time that Cornell actually faces an opponent this season. In addition to regular practice, the team has so far only participated in the Red-White Scrimmage last weekend. In that intrasquad contest, which was highlighted by physical play, the Red team won, 6-3.

“I think that was one of the things that a lot of guys noticed about this year’s Red-White game, the intensity out there,” said senior co-captain Topher Scott. “That’s something we’ve really tried to incorporate in our game. … We have really preached working hard and playing physical. I think it really showed in the Red-White game.”

Cornell will have a slightly different look this year as it adds a number of newcomers to a squad that finished 14-13-4 last year, 10-8-4 in the ECACHL. The 14 returning letter-winners will be joined by eight freshmen who are expected to make contributions immediately.

“I think the freshmen are progressing great, but I think the upperclassmen have done a tremendous job of making them feel comfortable,” said head coach Mike Schafer ’86. “They know from the conversations they’ve had with our upperclassmen that if we are going to have success this year, the freshmen have to contribute. They have to produce. They also have to be team guys and know their role and know their responsibilities of what it takes to be a team member and what our expectations are here.”

The games this weekend will also be a chance for goaltenders Troy Davenport and Ben Scrivens to make a case for playing time. Davenport, a junior, started 23 games last year and compiled a 2.41 goals against average and an .899 save percentage. Scrivens, a sophomore, started eight games and recorded a 2.30 goals against average and a .911 save percentage.

“If both of them step up and it’s equal, both of them will play,” Schafer said. “Freshman year as a goaltender is a difficult position in college hockey. I thought both of them did a really good job last year. I think they are both very confident right now. Both of them want to improve their game.”

Cornell’s defense will also have to deal with the absence of sophomore Brendon Nash, who is out with a knee injury. Even though Nash was named to the preseason All-ECACHL squad by the league’s coaches, the Red is still confident in its team defense.

“There is not one guy that is going to step up and take control of a game,” said senior co-alternate captain Doug Krantz. “We really look for that team aspect, not just the defensemen, but the forwards to help us out back there blocking shots. And having one of our goaltenders step up and make big plays.”

Tonight’s contest will be against a team that has already played three regular-season games, compiling a 2-1 record. Trois Rivieres has also played five exhibition contests, including a 6-0 loss to Massachusetts on Oct. 7. So far this year, the Patriotes have been led by Jonathan Boutin, who has notched five goals and two assists this year, including a hat trick over the University of Ottawa. The Patriotes also boast Mathieu Gravel, who has two goals and five assists in three games.

The University of Ottawa has played four games so far this season, posting a 2-2 mark. Defenseman Rob Jarvis leads the squad with five points, all assists. Fellow defenseman Mathieu Desjardins has notched a goal and two assists this year and forward Dan McDonald leads the Gee-Gees with two goals.

Even though the two games are exhibition matches, Cornell’s mindset will not be any different than a normal contest.

“We only play 30 games, so we have to treat these like they are regular season games,” said senior co-captain Raymond Sawada. “First and foremost, we want to come out with two wins off the weekend, but we want to make sure that we are playing our systems, everybody is working hard, coming out hitting.”

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2007 09:29PM by Trotsky.

Re: Cornell 0 Trois Rivieres 0 (pre-game)
Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: October 19, 2007 10:38AM

UQTR also plays Princeton and Union this year.

[oraprdnt.uqtr.uquebec.ca]

Posted by: sah67 (---.ushbalax.nxtv.com)
Date: October 19, 2007 04:13PM

Based on recent league games for UQTR this season, it appears "le sieve" will be Sylvain Michaud.

"Hey Michaud, your mere called and she said..."

I hope folks get creative with their vernacular tonight ;)

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 19, 2007 05:36PM

...forward Dan McDonald leads the Gee-Gees with two goals.

Gee-Gees -- huh?crazy

Posted by: pfibiger (---.sip.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 19, 2007 06:44PM

anyone successfully get this new, standards compliant broadcast to work on a mac? specifically, on an intel mac? flip4mac (their recommended solution) is complaining that it doesn't understand the stream.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: October 19, 2007 06:45PM

Audio up. :-)

Date: October 19, 2007 06:51PM

Scrivens in net tonight, Davenport Sunday.

Posted by: MB (---.cisco.com)

...and it's terrible

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.dhcp.psdn.ca.charter.com)

pfibiger
anyone successfully get this new, standards compliant broadcast to work on a mac? specifically, on an intel mac? flip4mac (their recommended solution) is complaining that it doesn't understand the stream.

I can get it to work on a black MacBook in mac mode using firefox. The sound is a bit raspy, but it was the same on the windows side too.

Date: October 19, 2007 06:57PM

Everything's relative. Listening to "Gamenight" on a phone conference call is raspy. This is heaven.

Date: October 19, 2007 06:58PM

Live stats: [livestats.internetconsult.com]

Nice font.

Posted by: oceanst41 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: October 19, 2007 07:01PM

If livestats is any indication, there is a line combo of Greening, Nash and Sawada - should be fun to watch.rock

Date: October 19, 2007 07:02PM

I put in a not about the raspiness to their customer support that claims someone will be there during live broadcasts, we'll see what they say.

Date: October 19, 2007 07:03PM

SCALI-MUGFORD-NICHOLLS
ROESZLER-GALLAGHER-SCOTT
GREENING-NASH-SAWADA
P.KENNEDY-M. KENNEDY-BARLOW

SEMINOFF-DAVENPORT
BERK-KRUEGER
MIKE DEVIN-JOHNSTON
KRANTZ

SCRIVENS

Re: Cornell 0 Trois Rivieres 0 (1st)
Date: October 19, 2007 07:05PM

Warning, so far it seems the live stats is about a minute ahead of the radio broadcast.

Date: October 19, 2007 07:08PM

Wonder who inputs the play-by-play.

Date: October 19, 2007 07:11PM

looks like they improved the audio issues, sounds like when you seat the headphones plug correctly in a walkman/ipod, work it around a bit to seat it.

Date: October 19, 2007 07:14PM

Trotsky
Wonder who inputs the play-by-play.

I'm guessing they already did this on a laptop to keep track of all of the stats, and they just switched to a system (new software) which could be transferred to the internet quickly and easily.

Date: October 19, 2007 07:20PM

Schafer's pre-game interview paraphrased: this year we're going to pound the other team for two periods and win the game in the third.

Posted by: Rita (---.agry.purdue.edu)
Date: October 19, 2007 07:25PM

Did anyone else subscribe today?

I signed up ~ 5:30 pm and it sai my credit card information was "processed", but I never got an email confiramtion. I can log in to the Redcast site, but it says I'm not subscribed to any package. I sent two emails to customer support, but have yet to get a response. Does anyone have a phone number for them? I didn't see one on the website.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Date: October 19, 2007 07:26PM

Rita
Did anyone else subscribe today?

I signed up ~ 5:30 pm and it sai my credit card information was "processed", but I never got an email confiramtion. I can log in to the Redcast site, but it says I'm not subscribed to any package. I sent two emails to customer support, but have yet to get a response. Does anyone have a phone number for them? I didn't see one on the website.

Thanks in advance for any help.
IIRC, when I subscribed it took a day for me to be able to get in. However, since you've paid, if there's somebody there they ought to (IMHO) expedite you for the event.

Date: October 19, 2007 07:27PM

I signed up today, no confirmation email but I can get on and listen.

Posted by: nr53 (---.cisco.com)
Date: October 19, 2007 07:27PM

I just signed up about 30 minutes before the start and I'm listening now.

Posted by: oceanst41 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: October 19, 2007 07:28PM

I signed up today as well, but I'm logged in and listening fine. Although, I haven't been sent any email confirmation either.

Re: Cornell 0 Trois Rivieres 0 (2nd)
Date: October 19, 2007 07:44PM

"Puddles on the ice." Apparently it was hot in Ithaca today.

Date: October 19, 2007 07:46PM

Auuggh. Still no luck. I used my American Express card... could that be the problem? When I log in, it still says I'm not subscribed.

I have also tried using Safari and Firefox browsers.

Thus far I am not impressed with the response time for the customer service/ tech support teams.

A fitting end to a rotten week. :-(

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: October 19, 2007 07:46PM

Just so I'm clear... even though it's just audio, we have to have a paid subscription to listen tonight?

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: October 19, 2007 07:48PM

1st pp line: scott-sawada-p.kennedy up front barlow-m. devin on the points.

Posted by: MB (---.cisco.com)
Date: October 19, 2007 07:49PM

As far as I know. I don't think that WHCU does web broadcasts.

Date: October 19, 2007 07:49PM

I like the idea of the Nicholls/Mugford/Scali checking line...we've heard how hard Nicholls hits, and know how much Mugford likes to scrap, and Scali definitely showed a lot of tenacity in his appearances last year. If this line sticks together, I have a funny feeling it's going to be one that the opposition reeeeaally doesn't like (and not for reasons of offensive firepower) ;)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2007 07:49PM by sah67.

Date: October 19, 2007 07:50PM

2nd pp line: greening-nash-roeszler up front gallagher-berk on the points

Date: October 19, 2007 08:00PM

Almost done with the 2nd and no score in an exhibition...not quite the Yorkgasm we had last year, but at least we haven't let any in yet either ;)

Clearly, our offense is worthless without Romano.:-P

Date: October 19, 2007 08:02PM

Okay, ICS has recognized me as a subscriber and I am now happy banana.

LGR!

Date: October 19, 2007 08:09PM

Has anyone mentioned what type of jerseys they are wearing? Please say the traditional ones and not the new Nikes.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: October 19, 2007 08:15PM

Thanks. At least the process was lightning-quick for me (sorry, Rita), it's working perfectly on my MacBook Pro, and the sound quality isn't too bad.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: October 19, 2007 08:16PM

Jacob '06
Has anyone mentioned what type of jerseys they are wearing? Please say the traditional ones and not the new Nikes.
Nike formally announced today they are dropping hockey operations (I assume they'll sell Bauer). Maybe this indicates liberation from the Swooshtika.

Re: Cornell 0 Trois Rivieres 0 (3rd)
Date: October 19, 2007 08:32PM

Colgate trailing Michigan State 5-0. Sparty with just 12 shots...
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2007 08:34PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 19, 2007 08:56PM

Trotsky
Schafer's pre-game interview paraphrased: this year we're going to pound the other team for two periods and win the game in the third.
It's worked for us before.

Date: October 19, 2007 08:57PM

8 minutes delay to sort out penalties (Cornell has 5 guys in the box and 3 on the ice).

Re: Cornell 0 Trois Rivieres 0 (in OT)
Date: October 19, 2007 09:21PM

Cornell led in shots 33-24 through regulation. Game now in OT, 0-0.

Re: Cornell 0 Trois Rivieres 0 (OT)
Date: October 19, 2007 09:29PM

C'est tout.

Posted by: ebilmes (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 19, 2007 10:00PM

I was impressed with UQTR...they really didn't have any offensive talent but kept us in check all night with physical play and solid goaltending.

We had plenty of offensive chances...guys open at the point, pucks shooting through the crease, odd-man rushes...but it seemed like no one could really pull the trigger and put the puck in the net.

Roeszler got tons of ice time and was incredibly unimpressive. Riley Nash generated a couple good opportunities singlehandedly. Scrivens was solid and seems to be more content to stay between the pipes this year. I looked forward to seeing Berk for the first time, but he didn't do much. Krueger botched a couple chances from the point. Greening played well.

UQTR kept baiting our guys, and I couldn't count the number of minor skirmishes. They were a team with nothing to lose, and during the endless third period "fight," Michaud appeared to be gesturing to Scrivens that he should come over and fight him. Petit was just a bruiser.

Some interesting timekeeping tonight. When UQTR was on the 5x3, game clock stopped on the whistle but the two Cornell penalties ticked down 3-4 seconds each. No one seemed to notice/care. Then, at the end of regulation, when time was added to the clock with a faceoff coming in Cornell's offensive zone, it went up to 3.0 secs when it really should have been more like 1.5.

This was a disappointing result, but we did most things well...just need to put the puck in the net.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2007 10:14PM by ebilmes.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: October 19, 2007 10:04PM

ebilmes
This was a disappointing result, but we did most things well...just need to put the puck in the net.
Now where have a I heard that before? Lemme think... It'll come to me... *sigh*

Date: October 20, 2007 02:27AM

Trotsky
Colgate trailing Michigan State 5-0. Sparty with just 12 shots...

Ouch...I guess there were some technical difficulties with the "Dexshow" tonight?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login