Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Alumni in the Pros - October 2007

Posted by cbuckser 
Alumni in the Pros - October 2007
Posted by: cbuckser (76.197.6.---)
Date: October 01, 2007 11:36AM

The Canadiens assigned Ryan O'Byrne to Hamilton (AHL) this morning.

[www.tsn.ca]

Re: Alumni in the Pros - October 2007
Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: October 01, 2007 02:58PM

Ah man, that's too bad. On the other hand, though, better that he get a lot of ice time in key situations in Hamilton than be the 7th defenseman and only play one game in five in Montreal.

Posted by: Doug '08 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 01, 2007 06:22PM

This is pretty surprising. I wouldn't be surprised if we see him back before the end of the month.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.caltech.edu)
Date: October 01, 2007 06:30PM

Sounded like the coach wants him to put in 20-30 minutes a game down in Hamilton to keep getting experience instead of riding the pine. It also sounds like he'll be the first call-up if there are any injuries, which is likely to happen with Briesbois.

Posted by: Avash (---.dhcp.chop.edu)
Date: October 02, 2007 03:25PM

Some alumni updates here, on the ECAC website: [www.ecachockey.com]

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 04, 2007 09:31PM

Murray in the lineup for San Jose tonight. Game available on the free preview of Center Ice that's being shown by most cable providers. On Time Warner in NYC it's channel 437, don't know what it is elsewhere.

Edit: Getting significantly less ice time than the other five d-men the Sharks have dressed thus far. I haven't actually even been able to figure out who he's paired with. McLaren, maybe.

Edit again: Doesn't even look like he's killing penalties, which is odd.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2007 09:45PM by Josh '99.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.dhcp.psdn.ca.charter.com)
Date: October 04, 2007 10:51PM

Josh '99
Murray in the lineup for San Jose tonight. Game available on the free preview of Center Ice that's being shown by most cable providers. On Time Warner in NYC it's channel 437, don't know what it is elsewhere.

Edit: Getting significantly less ice time than the other five d-men the Sharks have dressed thus far. I haven't actually even been able to figure out who he's paired with. McLaren, maybe.

Edit again: Doesn't even look like he's killing penalties, which is odd.

He got a 2-5-10 for instigating in retaliation for a knee by Raffe Torres. I missed it so I can't report on what happened.

Posted by: The Rancor (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: October 05, 2007 10:27AM

Shane Hynes is out of the Portland line-up with a broken foot. from hockeysfuture.com

Posted by: peterg (---.bgdmlaw.com)
Date: October 05, 2007 02:11PM

I had very nice news from the family that Mark McCutcheon has signed Colorado's AHL affiliate, the Lake Erie Monsters and will be in Cleveland.

Way to go Mark!

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: October 05, 2007 05:22PM

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Date: October 05, 2007 07:48PM

French Rage

Nice scrap, thanks for posting. Murray came pretty close to losing there early on.

Date: October 05, 2007 10:14PM

According to the roster on NHL.com, Douglas is playing again tonight.

Date: October 05, 2007 11:03PM

Jacob '06
According to the roster on NHL.com, Douglas is playing again tonight.
Douglas has two assists tonight through two periods, both on goals by Jeremy Roenick. 4 assists in 69 games over the previous two seasons, so two in the first two games this season isn't bad at all.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: October 06, 2007 04:55AM

Ugh, the comments on that thread highlight everything that's wrong with the NHL. "Hockey needs more fighting"? "Gotta love a shootout"? yark

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: cbuckser (76.197.6.---)
Date: October 06, 2007 02:02PM

Douglas took a regular shift and played very well. And, his response to Raffi Torres's reckless play has been very well received by his teammates and coaches.

Giving Douglas Murray an instigator penalty for that fight reveals a big flaw in the instigator penalty, in my opinion. Why deter a fight in that situation when the strongest reason for permitting fighting in hockey is to hold players accountable for their dangerous actions? I don't think the instigator penalty should be abolished, but it should be used when a fight is an immediate response to an opponent's act that created a significant risk of injury to the fighter or the fighter's teammate.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2007 02:03PM by cbuckser.

Posted by: evilnaturedrobot (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 06, 2007 02:28PM

it's because the reason for allowing fighting in hockey is no longer to protect star players or as a deterrent to dangerous play. This was the reason for fighting in the first place. It worked too, there's a reason why Wayne Gretzky (all 5'11". 180 lbs of him) didn't get hurt more often. It's because aposing players knew that running him meant tangling with Dave Semenko.

But once you make fighting a choice, it no longer acts as a deterrent. All I have to do is turtle, as Darius Kasparitis used to do all the time, let you take the instigator, and then go on my marry way. Where's the deterrent? Most fights these days take place between two enforcers that are on the ice just to fight each other. But what do I care if a guy on my team that is paid to fight drops the gloves with another guy that is also paid to fight? How does that affect the rest of the team or their behavior? How does it stop someone from taking a run at a star player? Or taking liberties with their stick or elbows?

This is the reason why the instigator is the dumbest rule in sports.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2007 02:43PM by evilnaturedrobot.

Posted by: amerks127 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: October 08, 2007 12:38PM

I saw Ryan O'Byrne play in Rochester during the Bulldog's season opener last night. The Bulldogs won 3-2 in OT, all goals were even-strength, yet he managed to be +3 with an assist on the game winning goal (in which he set up a 2 on 1).

He was by far their best defenseman out there...especially when you consider that Jon Gleed was -2 for the night.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.rbccm.com)
Date: October 08, 2007 10:57PM

Josh '99
Douglas has two assists tonight through two periods, both on goals by Jeremy Roenick. 4 assists in 69 games over the previous two seasons, so two in the first two games this season isn't bad at all.
I thought Doug looked strong against Vancouver. Announcers missed the Roenick deflection at first and thought that Douglas had a goal - they were clueless, they didn't know that it would have been his first. In any event he played solid and had good ice time.

That youtube clip made it seem like Douglas connected with a big right at the end of the fight. Torres is a tough guy and incredibly strong, it was a nice scrap. Congrats to Douglas for getting up twice instead of turtling.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2007 11:52AM by jtwcornell91.

Posted by: oceanst41 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: October 09, 2007 12:45AM

Interesting too that if you listen to the announcers at the end of that clip they thought that Torres would get the only extra two, yet it was Murray that got the extra penalties.

Date: October 09, 2007 12:51PM

I don't believe that hockey needs more fighting, and I continue to believe that the right way to prevent dangerous and/or dirty hits is for the league to punish them appropriately. That being said, if the league isn't going to get its act together and get it right, then the players need to be able to do something about it.

Murray only played about 10 minutes in the Sharks' 6-2 loss in Denver last night. (I guess maybe because the Sharks spent much of the game trying to catch up.) He fought Ian Laperriere and was even in +/-, one of only five Sharks not to be a minus on the night.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: October 09, 2007 02:11PM

The arguments about fighting come down to a matter of taste. John knows and likes the European style so he views fighting as barbaric; I know and like the WHL style so I view fighting as an appropriate enforcement strategy.

Fighting can get out of hand. Most fighting injuries probably happen during line brawls when guys fall, get their knees twisted, get sucker-pucnhed, get cut by an errant skate, etc. The "leaving the bench" DQ cut down on line brawls and that was a good thing, and the CHL's rules about fighting penalties during the final minutes of blow out games (suspension and league review) helped eliminate some of the Slapshot circus garbage that used to plague junior hockey.

The question is whether lack of fighting can "get out of hand." It doesn't seem to in the NCAA. In the NHL, there are players who carry sticks high with relative impunity -- that would last about ten seconds of the next shift in the CHL. There isn't a problem with high end talent getting hurt in the NHL because the league went overboard protecting its marquee players. Fighting didn't protect Gretzky after his second year in the league -- you just weren't allowed to check him without going to the box. This has now extended out to every team's top three or four scorers and it makes the NHL about as interesting as women's no-contact hockey. They should bring back hard checking, but that also means fighting will come back, as the players enforce the appropriate level of force, themselves.

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: October 09, 2007 02:17PM

RatushnyFan
Josh '99
I thought Doug looked strong against Vancouver. Announcers missed the Roenick deflection at first and thought that Douglas had a goal - they were clueless, they didn't know that it would have been his first. In any event he played solid and had good ice time.

That youtube clip made it seem like Douglas connected with a big right at the end of the fight. Torres is a tough guy and incredibly strong, it was a nice scrap. Congrats to Douglas for getting up twice instead of turtling.

Yeah, looked to me he had the upper hand except when Torres threw him to the ground (which seems like a cheap ploy to avoid the punches).

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Date: October 09, 2007 04:37PM

Trotsky
This has now extended out to every team's top three or four scorers and it makes the NHL about as interesting as women's no-contact hockey. They should bring back hard checking, but that also means fighting will come back, as the players enforce the appropriate level of force, themselves.

Honestly, I think this true in only in a selective sense. It's certainly the case that anybody who gets within breathing distance of Sydney Crosby gets whistled. But, as a Ranger fan, I've watched Jagr absorb plenty of ugly hits without turning so much as head from the ref. When I was living out in colorado I saw the same thing with Foppa. Certain stars, those with larger frames and a physical component to their game, don't enjoy the same protection as smaller players.

The other problem is that the league can only penalize those hits that it deems to be illegal, and many dangerous hits are perfectly within the rules. I was out in Colorado for the whole Bertuzzi mess. I don't want to get into the morality of what Bertuzzi did, I feel that it was abhorrent. but Gregg Moore never even thinks about blind-siding Naslund like that if he knows that there are going to be immediate physical repercussions for doing so. The issue has nothing to do with whether or not the hit was legal, which I believe that it was, but rather that you don't throw a borderline hit on a star player if you know that the opposing teams goon is going to pound you into a pulp on your next shift. With the protection of the instigator, the range of what you can get away with is so much greater. Heavy suspensions work just fine if the hit is obviously illegal and there is a clear intent to injure (anybody who watched the Downie hit knew that he was trying to take that Senator's head off.) But it's impossible to legislate a hit like Moore's out of the game, which was borderline at best and clearly not meant to knock Naslund out the way it did. The only way stop that sort of hit is to allow a team to self police all dangerous hits laid on their star, regardless of legality.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: October 09, 2007 06:31PM

evilnaturedrobot
The only way stop that sort of hit is to allow a team to self police all dangerous hits laid on their star, regardless of legality.
If a hit is legal then players and teams should man up and accept that it's within the rules. The proper response is not to send your goon out to start a fight. It's laying the best legal hits you can on the guy and his teammates.

Date: October 09, 2007 06:52PM

If I'm the commissioner, I can't find that position acceptable. I need my stars on the ice, they are less expendable than other players. What you're proposing is that the other team go out and run the other team's top player, which does happen. These hits will be just as borderline as the one that started the whole sequence of events in motion, as they will be given to send a message. A great 'legal' hit can be catching a player coming through the zone with his head down. It can be a well placed hip check right at or above the knee. Those two 'legal' hist are two of the most dangerous in hockey. All you're going to do is get more players hurt.

One way or another a big hit on a star is going to result in an act of retaliatory violence. Despite the brutality of fighting, it actually results in far fewer major injuries than hitting does. Major injuries usually happen when a player has there head down or is in a prone position, something which never happens in a fight. I'd rather have players retaliating by squaring off with their fists than by violently blind-siding an opposing player, even though the latter is often legal.

And that doesn't even broach the subject of stick swinging, which seems to have been on the rise as fighting has gone down.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2007 06:56PM by evilnaturedrobot.

David McKee
Posted by: pfibiger (---.sip.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 10, 2007 11:19AM

Looks like McKee was released from his tryout with San Antonio and signed back up with the Augusta Lynx (ECHL). I guess we won't see the Cornell goalie cage match between LeNeveu and McKee in the AHL.

[www.wrdw.com]

Date: October 14, 2007 10:18AM

Moulson 4 games 6 points!rock
Iggulden 2 games 5 points!

Date: October 14, 2007 03:33PM

The Rancor
Murray 3 games 22 penalty minutes! :-O

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.gunnery.org)
Date: October 16, 2007 12:28AM

Murray beat the crap out of Rypien tonight and it totally changed the complexion of the game in San Jose's favor.

Date: October 17, 2007 02:24PM

The Rancor
Also:
Ryan O'Byrne has 3 assists in Hamilton's first 3 games of the season, but also 10 penalty minutes.

Teammate Jon Gleed has 1 assist in those 3 games and has yet to take a penalty.

Mark McCutcheon has played 3 games for Lake Erie but has yet to register a point.

Dave LeNeveu has played one of San Antonio's three games thus far, giving up 34 goals on 38 shots in a 4-2 loss. He's been outplayed (statistically, anyway) by Josh Tordjman, who's given up just two goals on 58 shots through two games played.

Date: October 17, 2007 02:32PM

Josh '99
The Rancor
Also:
Ryan O'Byrne has 3 assists in Hamilton's first 3 games of the season, but also 10 penalty minutes.

Teammate Jon Gleed has 1 assist in those 3 games and has yet to take a penalty.

Mark McCutcheon has played 3 games for Lake Erie but has yet to register a point.

Dave LeNeveu has played one of San Antonio's three games thus far, giving up 34 goals on 38 shots in a 4-2 loss. He's been outplayed (statistically, anyway) by Josh Tordjman, who's given up just two goals on 58 shots through two games played.

Thats a pretty rough game. ;-)

Posted by: Roy 82 (128.18.14.---)
Date: October 17, 2007 05:48PM

calgARI '07
Murray beat the crap out of Rypien tonight and it totally changed the complexion of the game in San Jose's favor.

The fight is now up for viewing. I would agree with the assessment of "beat the crap out of" unless you don't like the sweater over the head trick:
[www.hockeyfights.com]

Posted by: Dianne 99 (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: October 18, 2007 01:15AM

Damn it, bad timing! I went to Saturday's game against Boston, when he didn't play at all. Grrr.

Date: October 18, 2007 01:19AM

Roy 82
calgARI '07

The fight is now up for viewing. I would agree with the assessment of "beat the crap out of" unless you don't like the sweater over the head trick:
[www.hockeyfights.com]

Rypien never had a chance in that one

Date: October 18, 2007 09:29AM

Josh '99
Dave LeNeveu has played one of San Antonio's three games thus far, giving up 34 goals on 38 shots

he's not a black hole....innocent
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2007 10:13AM by jtwcornell91.

Date: October 18, 2007 10:18AM

Jacob '06
Josh '99

Thats a pretty rough game. ;-)
Yeesh!

I'd go back and fix it, but I figure you all figured out what I meant to type for yourselves. bang

Date: October 18, 2007 10:31AM

Doug '08
Roy 82
calgARI '07

[www.hockeyfights.com]

Rypien never had a chance in that one
Murray fought a 45 year old retired football player? That hardly seems fair.

Posted by: cbuckser (---.dsl.scrm01.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 19, 2007 05:31PM

The Iowa Stars, who had two goalies get hurt on Wednesday night, have signed David McKee to a professional tryout contract.

[www.iowastarshockey.com]

Incidentally, Dale Purinton, who injured Philippe Sauve in a fight, was the player who hit Krzysztof Wieckowski into the boards from behind during the NHL lockout. Purinton injured Krzysztof's head and neck on that hit from behind, and Krzysztof never played another game.

Date: October 19, 2007 05:54PM

cbuckser
The Iowa Stars, who had two goalies get hurt on Wednesday night, have signed David McKee to a professional tryout contract.

Incidentally, Dale Purinton, who injured Philippe Sauve in a fight, was the player who hit Krzysztof Wieckowski into the boards from behind during the NHL lockout. Purinton injured Krzysztof's head and neck on that hit from behind, and Krzysztof never played another game.

Woah, that is a great headline:

TWO STARS INJURED IN ATTACK BY MONSTER

Iowa Stars, Lake Erie Monsters, but it reads a lot better without the locations of the teams.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: October 20, 2007 07:45AM

O'Byrne article from The Montreal Gazette on the ECAC site today:

Feature: It's Just a Matter of Time for O'Byrne
The following feature article on former Cornell defenseman Ryan O'Byrne appeared in the October 18 issue of The Montreal Gazette. The article can be accessed via the Gazette Web site by clicking here.

JOHN MEAGHER
The Montreal Gazette

Ryan O'Byrne admits he was disappointed to be the last defenceman cut by the Canadiens at last month's training camp.

But the hulking 6-foot-6, 228-pound defenceman is determined to make the best of his situation with the Hamilton Bulldogs of the American Hockey League.

O'Byrne is off to a promising start with three assists in three games. He is also a solid plus-4 for the Bulldogs, who have posted a 2-0-0-1 record.

More importantly, from a developmental standpoint, he is logging more than 20 minutes per game.

"It's been great so far," he said. "I'm playing in all situations, power play and penalty killing. I came down with a ton of confidence, being one of the last cuts.

"Obviously, the AHL is not the NHL, in terms of calibre, but it's still a great league."

O'Byrne has a two-way contract that facilitated his return to the AHL. He accepted the Canadiens' verdict to go with veteran rearguards like Patrice Brisebois.

"The Canadiens have a lot of proven defenders up there who've played 100-plus or a 1,000-plus NHL games," O'Byrne said. "I'm only in my second year of pro, out of college.

"It's one of these things where it's not going to hurt me coming back to the AHL and playing a lot of minutes."

Canadiens brass told O'Byrne to work on his overall game in Hamilton.

"The Canadiens just told me to go back there and work on all facets of my game," he said. "They told me I had a good camp and looked strong, but they said just to work on moving the puck quicker, make sure you never get beat one-on-one, and just try to dominate games. Basically, try to be the best player on the ice some nights. Get the experience. ... Make a good first pass. Every team needs one of those guys."

O'Byrne, 23, has meshed well with defence partner Pavel

Valentenko, a 6-foot-2, 208-pound Russian who turns 20 Saturday.

"Pavel's got lots of skill and talent," O'Byrne said. "He's a big kid and he hits hard. He's going to be a good player, a very good player.

"I think we play similar styles. We're both physical players. He doesn't speak English really well, but he understands the game of hockey."

O'Byrne leads the Bulldogs in penalty minutes with 10 - all minors. Last season, he picked up seven fighting majors among his 129 penalty minutes. He said he'll fight when necessary.

"They don't talk to me about dropping the gloves, but it's part of the game," O'Byrne said. "Sometimes you've got to stand up for teammates. I've got no problem fighting. It's something I do once in a while."

O'Byrne, who had 12 assists in 80 AHL games last season, said he felt comfortable rejoining the Bulldogs, the defending AHL Calder Cup champions.

"We have a lot of returning guys, so everybody knows each other," he said.

"We all get along. Even though it's only been three games, the team is playing well."

As for the possibility of getting recalled by the Canadiens this season, O'Byrne says time is on his side.

"All I can do is wait for my chance and hope that I'm ready."

Date: October 22, 2007 09:17PM

Murray should be getting a few more minutes than normal tonight because Kyle McLaren is out for the sharks.

Posted by: ForkEmDevils (---.PHNX.QWEST.NET)
Date: October 23, 2007 02:15AM

pfibiger
cbuckser

Iowa Stars, Lake Erie Monsters, but it reads a lot better without the locations of the teams.
Could be a possible LeNeveu/McKee matchup as Iowa plays San Antonio Oct 23 in Iowa.

Posted by: Avash (---.dhcp.chop.edu)
Date: October 23, 2007 11:12AM

ForkEmDevils
pfibiger
cbuckser

Could be a possible LeNeveu/McKee matchup as Iowa plays San Antonio Oct 23 in Iowa.

Very likely. If McKee does not start, it will be former Colgate goaltender Steve Silverthorn.

By the way, 2004 Hobey Baker winner Junior Lessard also plays for the Stars... And playing defense for the Rampage in front of LeNeveu is Dylan Reese.

Posted by: Roy 82 (128.18.14.---)
Date: October 23, 2007 01:51PM

Jacob '06
Murray should be getting a few more minutes than normal tonight because Kyle McLaren is out for the sharks.

And he has another fight:
[www.hockeyfights.com]

Not much swinging but he did not get the decision on this one.

Its clear that Murray has a mandate and a job to do. I hope that he is enjoying it.

Posted by: Avash (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: October 24, 2007 12:28AM

McKee allowed 3 goals on 30 shots as Iowa lost to San Antonio 4-1 (LeNeveu did not start for San Antonio).

Date: October 24, 2007 07:40AM

Avash '05
McKee allowed 3 goals on 30 shots as Iowa lost to San Antonio 4-1 (LeNeveu did not start for San Antonio).

better than the 7 on 32 shelling he took 2 nights before. ouch.

Posted by: redhair34 (---.c3-0.nwt-ubr2.sbo-nwt.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: October 27, 2007 07:55PM

Bitz scored his first professional goal today and was named the game's 2nd star. [stats.theahl.com]

Posted by: amerks127 (---.ilr.cornell.edu)
Date: October 29, 2007 02:34PM

Ryan O'Byrne scored his first goal this season and was +2 against the Rockford IceHogs Sunday night. That brings his 9 game total to 1+3 and a +2.

Not exactly NHL numbers at this point.

Jon Gleed is -5
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2007 02:34PM by amerks127.

Posted by: JDeafv (---.mae.cornell.edu)
Date: October 30, 2007 12:12PM

Kevin McLeod is playing for the Texas Brahams and has 1 G and 2 A through 4 games playing defense.

Meanwhile, Daniel Pegoraro is again playing for the Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs and also has 1 G and 2 A through 4 games.

Posted by: ebilmes (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 30, 2007 03:36PM

Ryan Kindret has played in all three games for the Memphis River Kings of the CHL. He has taken one shot.

Date: October 30, 2007 05:08PM

amerks127
Jon Gleed is -5
Team any good? The best guy on a terrible team usually has the worst +/- sheerly from minutes.

Date: October 30, 2007 05:50PM

Trotsky
amerks127
Jon Gleed is -5
Team any good? The best guy on a terrible team usually has the worst +/- sheerly from minutes.
They're .500 after 9 games, fwiw. Unfortunately the AHL site doesn't provide stats on minutes played.

Posted by: jkahn (---.73.146.216.biz.sta.networkgci.net)
Date: October 30, 2007 07:44PM

Perhaps not something to brag about, but as of this posting, Doug's the league leader in the PIM category. The good news is that he's playing tough, and that on most of his penalty minutes, he's taken someone with him, so he hasn't put the Sharks a man down.
[www.sportsline.com]

Posted by: Chris 02 (---.icsincorporated.com)
Date: October 30, 2007 09:19PM

Doug also leads the NHL in fighting majors.

[www.hockeyfights.com]

Date: October 30, 2007 11:39PM

JDeafv
Meanwhile, Daniel Pegoraro is again playing for the Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs and also has 1 G and 2 A through 4 games.
Both of the Abbotts were on the Mudbugs last year too but they don't seem to be at present. Anyone have any idea whether/where they're playing?

Date: October 31, 2007 08:31AM

Both Chris and Cam are playing for the Frisk Tigers in Norway:

[www.frisktigers.no]

It looks like they lead their team in scoring, with Chris a point ahead of Cam:

[www.frisktigers.no]

Date: October 31, 2007 09:29AM

ok, i can't promise i'll update this much, but here it is. if i'm missing anyone, let me know, i think it's reasonably complete:

Skaters
Name		Team			League			GP-G -A -P
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cam Abbott	Frisk Tigers		GET-ligaen		14-12-07-19
Chris Abbott	Frisk Tigers		GET-ligaen		14-09-11-20
Byron Bitz	Providence Bruins	AHL			05-01-02-03
Mitch Carefoot	Phoenix Roadrunners	ECHL			05-00-02-02
Charlie Cook	HIFK Helsinki		SM-liiga		18-00-02-02
P.C. Drouin	Nottingham Panthers	EIHL			18-06-11-18
Jon Gleed	Hamilton Bulldogs	AHL			08-00-02-02
Dan Glover 	Fresno Falcons 		ECHL 			01-00-00-00
Shane Hynes	Portland Pirates	AHL			00-00-00-00
Mike Iggulden	Worcester Sharks	AHL			06-04-05-09
Ryan Kindret	Mississippi		CHL			04-01-01-02
Mike Knoepfli	HC Lugano		Nationalliga A		16-00-02-02
Mark McCutcheon	Lake Erie Monsters	AHL			06-00-00-00
Kevin McLeod	Texas Brahmas		CHL			04-01-02-03
Matt Moulson	Manchester Monarchs	AHL			08-05-04-09
Douglas Murray	San Jose Sharks		NHL			09-00-02-02
Ryan O'Byrne	Hamilton Bulldogs	AHL			09-01-03-04
Daniel Pegoraro	Bossier-Shreveport	CHL			05-01-03-04
Sasha Pokulok	Hershey Bears		AHL			04-00-00-00
Tony Romano	London Knights		OHL			13-02-03-05
Doug Stienstra	Tilburg Trappers	Hlnd			XX-XX-XX-XX
Ryan Vesce	HIFK Helsinki		SM-liiga		18-02-06-08

Goaltenders
Name			Team			League		GP-W-L-SOL	GAA	SV%
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
David LeNeveu		San Antonio		AHL		03-00-01-02	3.05	.897	
David McKee		Iowa Stars		AHL		02-00-02-00	5.11	.841
			Augusta Lynx		ECHL		00-00-00-00	X.XX	.XXX	
Jean-Marc Pelletier	Hamburg Freezers	DEL		11-06-05-00	3.03	.900

Coaching
Name
----------------------
Doug Derraugh		Cornell	W.			ECAC
Shaun Hannah		Sacred Heart			AHA
Casey Jones (A)		Ohio State			CCHA
Brian McCutcheon (A)	Buffalo Sabres			NHL
Duanne Moeser (A)	Augsburg Panthers		DEL
Mike Schafer		Cornell				ECAC

Managing
Name
-------
Craig Brush	President/GM		Florida Everblades	ECHL
Lance Nethery	Team/Sports Mgr.	Frankfurt Lions		DEL
Joe Nieuwendyk	Special Consult. to GM	Florida Panthers	NHL

Played Professional Hockey Last Year
But Not On Any Roster This Year
-----------------------------------
Stephen Bâby		Springfield Falcons	AHL	retired
Tony Bergin		Morzine-Avoriaz 	France
Jeff Burgoyne		Tillburg Trappers	EIHL	retired - [www.eliteleague.co.uk]
Jeremy Downs		Bossier-Shreveport	CHL	retired
Jason Elliott		Bietigheim-Bissingen SC	2.GBun
Greg Hornby 		Phoenix Roadrunners 	ECHL
Kent Manderville 	Espoo Blues 		FNL 	going to law school - [www.nhlpa.com]
Danny Powell 		Pee Dee Cyclones 	SPHL
Ben Wallace 		Johnstown Chiefs 	ECHL

Edited 12 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2007 11:17AM by pfibiger.

Posted by: JDeafv (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: October 31, 2007 10:13AM

Phil - Great post!

Dan Glover is playing for the Fresno Falcons in the ECHL with the following line: 01-00-00-00.

Posted by: ACM (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 31, 2007 10:16AM

pfibiger
ok, i can't promise i'll update this much, but here it is. if i'm missing anyone, let me know, i think it's reasonably complete:

Jean-Marc Pelletier
Also: www.pelts35.com
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2007 10:30AM by ACM.

Date: October 31, 2007 12:32PM

jkahn
Perhaps not something to brag about, but as of this posting, Doug's the league leader in the PIM category. The good news is that he's playing tough, and that on most of his penalty minutes, he's taken someone with him, so he hasn't put the Sharks a man down.
[www.sportsline.com]
It's nice to see that Murray has found himself a niche in the NHL. But it's a little saddening that the only Cornell skater to be a Hobey Baker finalist in the last twenty years can only succeed as an enforcer.

Date: October 31, 2007 01:52PM

ACM
pfibiger

Jean-Marc Pelletier
Also: www.pelts35.com
Considering that the folks who run that site have, by my count, 40 (!) of JMP's game-issued jerseys, I find it odd that none of them are from Cornell.

Date: October 31, 2007 02:02PM

Awesome job. Thanks, Pfibiger!

pfibiger

Date: October 31, 2007 02:06PM

what is with those JMP stalkers?

Posted by: Rita (---.agry.purdue.edu)
Date: October 31, 2007 02:38PM

The Rancor
what is with those JMP stalkers?

From my brief reading, it sounds like they are very sentimental people.

[www.pelts35.com]

"We initially saw Jean-Marc play when he was a member of the Philadelphia Phantoms (in a nutshell, Pelts was in net on the night of our first date, starting this madness, I mean collection). The jerseys on this page were worn by former Philadelphia Phantoms. Click on the player name for pictures and descriptions of the jerseys."

I'm not sure this "obsession" can be explained by falling madly in love at a hockey game on your first date. But then again, I'm not qualified to offer an opinion on that.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2007 02:48PM by Rita.

Date: October 31, 2007 04:40PM

Rita

[www.pelts35.com]

"Guns N Hoses"? looking

Edit: Oh, police and firemen. I get it.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2007 04:43PM by Trotsky.

Date: October 31, 2007 06:47PM

Trotsky
Rita

[www.pelts35.com]

"Guns N Hoses"? looking

Edit: Oh, police and firemen. I get it.
"Guns 'N Hosers" would be a good name for a Canadian GnR cover band.

Posted by: cbuckser (134.186.175.---)
Date: October 31, 2007 07:42PM

In anticipation of his 1000th NHL game, Mike Sillinger rated his toughest face-off opponents. They are/were:
1. Joe Nieuwendyk
2. Ron Francis
3. Rod Brind'Amour

[islanders.nhl.com]

Edit: I fixed the typo that Josh pointed out.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2007 12:23AM by cbuckser.

Date: October 31, 2007 09:10PM

cbuckser
In anticipation of his 100th NHL game, Mike Sillinger rated his toughest face-off opponents. They are/were:
1. Joe Nieuwendyk
2. Ron Francis
3. Rod Brind'Amour

[islanders.nhl.com]
I think that should say 1000th. :-P

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 31, 2007 09:10PM

pfibiger
OK, I can't promise I'll update this much, but here it is. If I'm missing anyone, let me know, I think it's reasonably complete:
Thank you! Any chance we can get you copy this over to start the November thread?

Posted by: ACM (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 01, 2007 09:08AM

There's one here. See if you can find it.

Posted by: reilly83 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 01, 2007 11:20PM

ACM

Director, Business Operations…Jim Edmands played in goal. But when? I'm guessing sometime around 1984-1987 with Dadswell and D'Alessio?

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: November 01, 2007 11:45PM

reilly83
ACM

Director, Business Operations…Jim Edmands played in goal. But when? I'm guessing sometime around 1984-1987 with Dadswell and D'Alessio?

Just the 1984 season, I think... (and D'Alessio didn't start until the 1988 season).

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Jim Edmands
Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: November 02, 2007 12:01AM

From this year's media guide [www.cornellbigred.com]

Number 1
Jim Edmands (1983-84 – 1986-87)

In the team photo of the 1986 ECACHL [sic] Champions

Winner of the Sam Woodside Award for career improvement in 1987

Picked by the Winnipeg Jets in round 12, #238, in 1984

Re: Jim Edmands
Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: November 02, 2007 01:54AM

How about that! Thanks.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login