Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Wayne State Men's Hockey To Fold After 2007-08

Posted by nyc94 
Wayne State Men's Hockey To Fold After 2007-08
Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: September 27, 2007 01:55PM

This will leave the CHA with four teams.

[www.uscho.com]

Re: Wayne State Men's Hockey To Fold After 2007-08
Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: September 27, 2007 02:40PM

From the sounds of it the program staked its future on getting into the CCHA. Once that failed and chances of playing Michigan and Michigan State vanished they were pretty much sunk. Even in a hockey rich area like south eastern Michigan it's hard to compete for fan dollars when you're playing Robert Morris... and not even winning. (Not having a real home rink couldn't help either.)

The story says that the women's team will probably keep playing. I guess travel costs are a little lower for the women's CHA (Mercyhurst instead of UAH and Bemiji). But come on. You've got to love how Title IX equalizes opportunities between the sexes... :-|

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 27, 2007 03:15PM

KeithK
From the sounds of it the program staked its future on getting into the CCHA. Once that failed and chances of playing Michigan and Michigan State vanished they were pretty much sunk. Even in a hockey rich area like south eastern Michigan it's hard to compete for fan dollars when you're playing Robert Morris... and not even winning. (Not having a real home rink couldn't help either.)

The story says that the women's team will probably keep playing. I guess travel costs are a little lower for the women's CHA (Mercyhurst instead of UAH and Bemiji). But come on. You've got to love how Title IX equalizes opportunities between the sexes... :-|

Actually, it does work. Not to upset some with thread drift, but there are many, many more girls and women in sports now than ever before.

Date: September 27, 2007 03:37PM

I won't argue that Title IX hasn't had some beneficial effects. But canceling a men's team while keeping the equivalent women's team is at best an unintended consequence that is unfair.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 27, 2007 04:25PM

KeithK
I won't argue that Title IX hasn't had some beneficial effects. But canceling a men's team while keeping the equivalent women's team is at best an unintended consequence that is unfair.

But where is the data that the women's team had anything at all to do with canceling the men's team? I didn't see any mention of that. Are you just guessing that or do you have some other info. All I can see from the article is that they have the only D1 women's team in Michigan. So I'd hardly blame them for the demise of D1 men's hockey. Maybe more D1 universities should start women's teams, at least those in the state of Michigan.

As you might be imagining, I get annoyed when we men start blaming women for our problems. We should be enthusiastically supporting our daughters and wives. We have our own opportunities, let's not reduce theirs.

Man (or should I say woman:-D ), I can see the protests about thread drift now. Trying to bring it back to men's hockey, maybe we should also be supportive of Coach when he schedules the so called lesser teams; at least in part because he wants to support them.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.itt.com)
Date: September 27, 2007 04:55PM

While there are legitimate times to comment on Title IX's questionable, unintended side effects. This doesn't appear to be one of them as it doesn't appear to have anything to do with it. Save it for when its related ;)

Date: September 27, 2007 05:06PM

I fully support including the "lesser" schools on our schedule. Supporting the rest of college hockey is a good thing. Although I have no great desire to grow D-I college hockey much further - too many possible negative consequences of growth - I'd like to maintain what we have.

On the other hand, I'd rather we limit the "lesser" schools to a small part of the yearly slate. Two games against Wayne State (like last year) is fine if we have five games against higher end programs.

For that matter, should we feel bad about Schafer's non-reciprocity towards lesser schools? Wayne State played two in Lynah last year but I doubt we had any plans to travel to Detroit. Then again, we probably shouldn't feel bad because it's doubtful that games against Cornell would bring in that many fans/dollars and I'd be surprised if this decision wasn't about dollars.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: September 27, 2007 05:52PM

KeithK
For that matter, should we feel bad about Schafer's non-reciprocity towards lesser schools?

No.

KeithK
it's doubtful that games against Cornell would bring in that many fans/dollars and I'd be surprised if this decision wasn't about dollars.

Yes.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: September 28, 2007 10:07AM

Jim Hyla
Trying to bring it back to men's hockey, maybe we should also be supportive of Coach when he schedules the so called lesser teams; at least in part because he wants to support them.
On top of that, I think Red Berenson should be singled out for criticism; in WSU's seven years playing DI hockey, he didn't find a spot for them on Michigan's schedule even once. (State, Northern, Western and Tech all played them at least four times.) He may have been protecting his program by not raising the profile of a potential competitor in the Detroit metro area, but he was doing a disservice to the sport as a whole.

Posted by: ftyuv (---.techtarget.com)
Date: September 28, 2007 01:16PM

I hope Garth State keeps partying on.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 29, 2007 12:45AM

Josh '99
Jim Hyla
Trying to bring it back to men's hockey, maybe we should also be supportive of Coach when he schedules the so called lesser teams; at least in part because he wants to support them.
On top of that, I think Red Berenson should be singled out for criticism; in WSU's seven years playing DI hockey, he didn't find a spot for them on Michigan's schedule even once. (State, Northern, Western and Tech all played them at least four times.) He may have been protecting his program by not raising the profile of a potential competitor in the Detroit metro area, but he was doing a disservice to the sport as a whole.
Wayne State as competition for players vs. Michigan would only be possible for a recruit who hasn't comparared the campuses in person or seen pictures. It is a gritty urban campus. Without a rink. Serves an important educational function for metro Detroit that will probably continue on without the hockey program.

Posted by: The Rancor (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: September 30, 2007 07:00PM

Any transfers we would like to have next year?

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 30, 2007 09:39PM

billhoward
Josh '99
Jim Hyla
Wayne State as competition for players vs. Michigan would only be possible for a recruit who hasn't comparared the campuses in person or seen pictures. It is a gritty urban campus. Without a rink. Serves an important educational function for metro Detroit that will probably continue on without the hockey program.
I'm not saying so much competition for players (I can't imagine there are many players who considered both), as competition for public attention in the area.

Or it could just be that Red thought they weren't "good enough" to play Michigan and turned his nose up at them.

Posted by: DILLIGAF (---.metrocast.net)
Date: October 02, 2007 04:15PM

They were ranked ahead of us in the powerplay and penalty kill percentage. So there very well might be some contributors we could use.

Date: October 02, 2007 04:35PM

Also the Wayne State head coach, Bill Wilkinson, was Schafer's boss back in Kalamazoo. It's possible Wilkinson would point folks toward Cornell. That said, between Wayne State's lower academic standards (Detroit commuter school) and lower level of play I wonder whether there would be much of a fit.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login