Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

McKee

Posted by The Rancor 
McKee
Posted by: The Rancor (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: September 01, 2007 10:54AM

Will David McKee tryout for an NHL(or AHL) team this year?

Re: McKee
Posted by: ebilmes (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: September 01, 2007 12:16PM

I assume so...he was training with Schafer in Ithaca for part of the summer.

Posted by: Doug '08 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 02, 2007 05:18PM

He will be in Montreal this year

Date: September 02, 2007 08:06PM

Doug '08
He will be in Montreal this year
Ick! Another goalie log-jam.

Posted by: ForkEmDevils (---.PHNX.QWEST.NET)
Date: September 03, 2007 12:41AM

I'll start my first post with a bang and shocker for many on this board.

It is time that everyone must realize McKee was the product of a defensive orientated system at its height. I do not doubt his athletic ability, but when it comes to the “art” of goaltending, position is everything. You will not find many “reactionary” goaltenders who have a long career in the NHL. It speaks volumes when you are playing down in the E and they are still wanting you to work on your mechanics and form. [www.hockeysfuture.com]
You just don't see goalies working on the very fundamentals of the position after college.

As for a logjam in Montreal, there are several goaltenders with far more talent in front of McKee for him to ever find himself standing between the pipes where once the great Patrick Roy stood.

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: September 03, 2007 08:48AM

ForkEmDevils
It is time that everyone must realize McKee was the product of a defensive orientated system at its height.

I can't speak for everyone on this board, obviously, but what you're saying isn't much of a shock to me. Leneveu and McKee both left Cornell with at least one season of ridiculously good numbers, and have struggled some in the professional ranks. We knew that Cornell's skaters blocked a ton of shots, so that the typical shot these goalies were seeing was low-quality. We also knew McKee wasn't as mechanically sound as Lenny, but he made it work and definitely improved while at Cornell.

I'll still be cheering for him, though, because he's a Cornellian, one that I saw play every weekend in person for two seasons, and because his parents are so incredibly nice. I'm not suggesting he be deified or that the management of the professional teams are idiots, but I want him to have the best possible chance to improve his play and get to the next level - and a goalie logjam isn't really helpful in getting him playing time.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: September 03, 2007 10:15AM

Liz '05
ForkEmDevils
It is time that everyone must realize McKee was the product of a defensive orientated system at its height.

I can't speak for everyone on this board, obviously, but what you're saying isn't much of a shock to me. Leneveu and McKee both left Cornell with at least one season of ridiculously good numbers, and have struggled some in the professional ranks. We knew that Cornell's skaters blocked a ton of shots, so that the typical shot these goalies were seeing was low-quality. We also knew McKee wasn't as mechanically sound as Lenny, but he made it work and definitely improved while at Cornell.

I'll still be cheering for him, though, because he's a Cornellian, one that I saw play every weekend in person for two seasons, and because his parents are so incredibly nice. I'm not suggesting he be deified or that the management of the professional teams are idiots, but I want him to have the best possible chance to improve his play and get to the next level - and a goalie logjam isn't really helpful in getting him playing time.
Well said, Liz. I don't think it was a revelation to anyone here that Cornell's defensive system was a major contributor to McKee's success with the Big Red.

[And, given the make-up of the eLynah audience, I might have chosen a different Canadiens goaltending icon to use as a paragon.]

Date: September 03, 2007 10:20AM

Liz '05
ForkEmDevils

Way to sum up the feelings of many of the Faithfull, Liz! Thank you!

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: September 03, 2007 10:59AM

Al DeFlorio
[And, given the make-up of the eLynah audience, I might have chosen a different Canadiens goaltending icon to use as a paragon.]

That was my thought as well.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.dhcp.psdn.ca.charter.com)
Date: September 03, 2007 11:39AM

With the goalie logjam in Phoenix now and his contract running out this year, many on the HFboards are saying Leneveu's days are almost done in Phoenix. I really hope they move him to a team with a bit better defense that won't throw him under the bus.

Posted by: Doug '08 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 03, 2007 02:45PM

ForkEmDevils
I'll start my first post with a bang and shocker for many on this board.

I don’t think you will find major opposition to that on this board. While yes, it was clear that McKee benefited from a tremendous system, let’s not forget some of his major accomplishments.

Regardless of what anyone thinks about Dave’s numbers being accurate representations of his playing ability or not, it is only fair to give credit where credit was due:

Dave McKee was a BIG GAME goaltender. Dave saved his best performances for the playoffs and against Harvard. During his fairytale sophomore season, he was able to get a postseason shutout in the ECAC semis, and put in a dominating performance against Harvard in the final. Let’s also not forget the NCAA’s that year, keeping the team close after falling behind early 2-0 to OSU. And then the overtime game against Minnesota, which was, in my opinion McKee’s second best game. Plain and simple, Dave kept the team in both games playing fundamentally sound and making spectacular saves when required.

While his junior season certainly wasn’t as productive as his sophomore year, and his ECAC playoff performance may have slipped a bit, he certainly picked it up in the next round… to say the least. Again, falling behind early to a talented western team, he kept us in it against CC playing fundamentally near-perfect hockey. And do I need to even mention the game against Wisco? Regardless of the result… anyone who saw that game couldn’t help but be mesmerized by what was the greatest goaltending duel I have ever seen.

This will be Dave McKee’s legacy at Cornell… I won’t remember his as much for being a Hobey Baker finalist, or even as the single season and career shutouts leader. Instead, I will remember him for stepping up in the clutch, carrying the team on his back when needed, and saving his best for when it counts.

Not to mention, it’s damn hard not to root for a guy who is as humble as he is, not to mention Carl and the rest of the family.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: September 04, 2007 01:36PM

Doug '08
I don’t think you will find major opposition to that on this board. While yes, it was clear that McKee benefited from a tremendous system, let’s not forget some of his major accomplishments.

Regardless of what anyone thinks about Dave’s numbers being accurate representations of his playing ability or not, it is only fair to give credit where credit was due:

Dave McKee was a BIG GAME goaltender. Dave saved his best performances for the playoffs and against Harvard. During his fairytale sophomore season, he was able to get a postseason shutout in the ECAC semis, and put in a dominating performance against Harvard in the final. Let’s also not forget the NCAA’s that year, keeping the team close after falling behind early 2-0 to OSU. And then the overtime game against Minnesota, which was, in my opinion McKee’s second best game. Plain and simple, Dave kept the team in both games playing fundamentally sound and making spectacular saves when required.

While his junior season certainly wasn’t as productive as his sophomore year, and his ECAC playoff performance may have slipped a bit, he certainly picked it up in the next round… to say the least. Again, falling behind early to a talented western team, he kept us in it against CC playing fundamentally near-perfect hockey. And do I need to even mention the game against Wisco? Regardless of the result… anyone who saw that game couldn’t help but be mesmerized by what was the greatest goaltending duel I have ever seen.

This will be Dave McKee’s legacy at Cornell… I won’t remember his as much for being a Hobey Baker finalist, or even as the single season and career shutouts leader. Instead, I will remember him for stepping up in the clutch, carrying the team on his back when needed, and saving his best for when it counts.

Not to mention, it’s damn hard not to root for a guy who is as humble as he is, not to mention Carl and the rest of the family.

Well said.

Lenny and McKee both stepped into ideal situations -- playing behind amazing defenses who gave up very few quality shots. At the same time, it must have been tempting to take nights off and take a lot for granted, and neither goalie did. They were ideal pieces to those puzzles. And Cornell did not fail to win a national title during their tenure due to any shortcomings they had.

McKee in Phoenix
Date: September 07, 2007 10:40AM

to answer my own question, McKee is listed on the training camp roster with, get this, THE PHOENIX COYOTES!

weird!!

hfboards.com

Re: McKee in Phoenix
Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.dhcp.psdn.ca.charter.com)
Date: September 07, 2007 11:46AM

The Rancor
to answer my own question, McKee is listed on the training camp roster with, get this, THE PHOENIX COYOTES!

weird!!

hfboards.com

Well thats a surefire way to guarantee himself a full year in the ECHL. Leneveu is head over heels above McKee in positioning(which I think is more important in the NHL), and the Coyotes have like 800 goalies now. I really really hope Leneveu gets traded.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login