Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

New Recruit for '08

Posted by Cop at Lynah 
New Recruit for '08
Posted by: Cop at Lynah (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: August 14, 2007 04:47PM

Vincent Mihalek is listed as a '08 recruit for CU.

[www.roughridershockey.com]

Re: New Recruit for '08
Posted by: Doug '08 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: August 14, 2007 07:10PM

Was 5-11 180 last year, looks like he will come in as either a 17 or 18 year old.

Here are some of his prep stats:

[eteamz.active.com]
[kilby.sac.on.ca]

Another '08 Recruit - Keir Ross
Posted by: sah67 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 14, 2007 07:24PM

Another new recruit, Keir Ross from Omaha of the USHL, per BRP:

[bigredpuckhead.blogspot.com]

Re: Another '08 Recruit - Keir Ross
Posted by: pfibiger (---.sip.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 14, 2007 09:07PM

Keir played with Locke Jillson for the Dallas AAA midget program.

It's pretty surprising that we have six commitments for 2008 and beyond, and all six are American born players. I'm sure the class of 2008 will have some
Canadians in it (there are definitely some who are considering Cornell), but considering the recent historical makeup of the hockey team, it's anomalous.

Posted by: ithacat (128.253.193.---)
Date: August 15, 2007 07:11AM

I wonder if it's for 2008 or 2009? Cedar Rapids' press release doesn't indicate which year Mihalek's heading to Cornell. The BRP and the USHL Blog speculate it's 2009. Chris Heisenberg lists Mihalek as a 2009 recruit as well...of course, each might be making the same assumption.

[ushlhockey.blogspot.com]

Posted by: Doug '08 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: August 16, 2007 03:08PM

ithacat
I wonder if it's for 2008 or 2009? Cedar Rapids' press release doesn't indicate which year Mihalek's heading to Cornell. The BRP and the USHL Blog speculate it's 2009. Chris Heisenberg lists Mihalek as a 2009 recruit as well...of course, each might be making the same assumption.

[ushlhockey.blogspot.com]

I'd be pretty surprised if it wasn't for 2009

Date: September 06, 2007 03:58PM

We've got another recruit, currently listed for '08. Braden Birch, a defenseman who played last year for Stoney Creek of the GHJHL. He was drafted in the 3rd round of the OHL draft by St. Mikes, but decided to go the NCAA route. He's playing for the Nanaimo Clippers this year (big surprise).

It seems like we'll be pretty jammed up on defense next year, bringing in Keir Ross, Sean Whitney, and now Birch. I imagine one of them (Whitney?) will defer to '09.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: September 06, 2007 04:12PM

pfibiger
It seems like we'll be pretty jammed up on defense next year, bringing in Keir Ross, Sean Whitney, and now Birch. I imagine one of them (Whitney?) will defer to '09.

Depth = Good

The 10 possible D for 2008-09:

SENIORS: Seminoff, Davenport
JUNIORS: Nash, Krueger
SOPHOMORES: Berk, Devin, Johnston
FRESHMEN: Ross, Whitney, Birch

(By comparison, this year's squad has 8 D, which is maybe one light.)

I think I would rather, as a rule, see Cornell bring in the extra D-man and use him in practice and as added pressure on the top players. We've seen what can happen when injuries and the annual mono plague hit, and it gives the player an added season to acclimate to Schafer Hockey.

That looks like a very good D, especially if Birch is as a good as the BRP review implies.

Posted by: cbuckser (134.186.175.---)
Date: September 06, 2007 07:59PM

The BCHL page also lists Chris Moulson as having committed to Cornell.

[www.bchl.bc.ca]

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: September 06, 2007 08:16PM

cbuckser

[www.bchl.bc.ca]

BRP lists him as an '08 prospect.

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 06, 2007 11:46PM

Nice day for Cornell...Birch and Moulson.

Posted by: bothman (---.allfirst.com)
Date: September 07, 2007 10:42AM

Guys,

Not to rain on the parade, but these recruits are all role players? As you well know, you need them, but Cornell has yet to sign a high-end recruit for 2008 (Perhaps Garmen).

Riley Nash was a great recruit for an otherwise very mediocre group of 2007 talent relative to Cornell standards of the last several years.

I'm sure a Sam Paolini type will emerge as a diamond in the rough, but let's face it, there's a reason why BC, Michigan, Minnestoa, etc are in the hunt year in and year out.....Talent matters.

There is still a lot of time left to round out the 2008 class, but a lot of the high-end guys are committed. A good Cornell is good for the league so I hope Schafer has couple of wild deuces in his back pocket....

Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (---.111.251.50.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: September 07, 2007 10:52AM

cbuckser

[www.bchl.bc.ca]

Forgive me for not knowing this but... same hometown, same last name.... is he a relation?

Date: September 07, 2007 11:07AM

Ben Rocky '04
cbuckser

[www.bchl.bc.ca]

Forgive me for not knowing this but... same hometown, same last name.... is he a relation?

Matt's younger brother.

Date: September 07, 2007 11:16AM

bothman
Guys,

Not to rain on the parade, but these recruits are all role players? As you well know, you need them, but Cornell has yet to sign a high-end recruit for 2008 (Perhaps Garmen).

Riley Nash was a great recruit for an otherwise very mediocre group of 2007 talent relative to Cornell standards of the last several years.

I'm sure a Sam Paolini type will emerge as a diamond in the rough, but let's face it, there's a reason why BC, Michigan, Minnestoa, etc are in the hunt year in and year out.....Talent matters.

There is still a lot of time left to round out the 2008 class, but a lot of the high-end guys are committed. A good Cornell is good for the league so I hope Schafer has couple of wild deuces in his back pocket....

Bothman,

You keep trying to trot out that story about the class of 07. I will continue to remind you that Mike Devin was a top defenseman on the league winning Clippers, Patrick Kennedy was on pace to lead his league in scoring before getting Mono, Tyler Roeszler ended up leading that league in scoring. I'd take those guys, plus Riley Nash and Jordan Berk, in a 5 on 5 against any five of Harvard's '07 recruits :)

As for '08, I absolutely realize that Harvard has, on paper, a fantastic recruiting class including a couple of guys (Kroshus, Grimshaw) that Cornell was interested in. Let's wait and see how this year plays out, both in the USHL and BCHL before calling this a recruiting class full of role players. Birch has played his way onto Nanaimo's top pairing. Keir Ross has a year in the USHL under his belt. Garman came into Nanaimo and stole the starting job away from a highly touted Denver recruit.

Date: September 07, 2007 12:05PM

Phil,

I'd take that bet anytime for 2007. Mike Devin should be a good player, but let's keep in mind that while an extra year in the BCHL will certainly help him, he wasn't even a Top 7-8 defenseman in New England prior to that. He was not considered even in the same realm as Alex Biega, and while Alex had a great freshman campaign last year for Harvard, I don't expect him to be anywhere near as good as Grimshaw.

To me, it seems like Harvard & Clarkson recruiting has picked up, while Cornell's has fallen relative to where each of these teams were 4-5 years ago. Harvard has gone head to head with Michigan (Grimshaw), Wisconsin (Hoyle), and every East Coast team (Killorn) and won.

Nash was a great get for Cornell, but other than him, I don't see Cornell going out and beating the upper echelon teams for talent.

The guys you mention may very well evolve into great players (Sam Paolini etc) and I will have to eat crow. But, let's be honest, on paper, by no means are these players highly coveted by the top teams in college hockey. That should tell you something right there.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: September 07, 2007 12:41PM

bothman
Phil,

I'd take that bet anytime for 2007. Mike Devin should be a good player, but let's keep in mind that while an extra year in the BCHL will certainly help him, he wasn't even a Top 7-8 defenseman in New England prior to that. He was not considered even in the same realm as Alex Biega, and while Alex had a great freshman campaign last year for Harvard, I don't expect him to be anywhere near as good as Grimshaw.

To me, it seems like Harvard & Clarkson recruiting has picked up, while Cornell's has fallen relative to where each of these teams were 4-5 years ago. Harvard has gone head to head with Michigan (Grimshaw), Wisconsin (Hoyle), and every East Coast team (Killorn) and won.

Nash was a great get for Cornell, but other than him, I don't see Cornell going out and beating the upper echelon teams for talent.

The guys you mention may very well evolve into great players (Sam Paolini etc) and I will have to eat crow. But, let's be honest, on paper, by no means are these players highly coveted by the top teams in college hockey. That should tell you something right there.

So what would you do about it, exactly? Are you suggesting that we're not seeking the upper-echelon talent? If not, if you're merely noting that we often lose the battles, what would you suggest we do to improve our record on them? We'll likely never offer scholarships, and likely never have the reputation of being as good a school or as good an opportunity as Hahvahd. So what's your suggestion?

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: September 07, 2007 12:52PM

Beeeej
So what would you do about it, exactly?
Why "suggest" when you can just annoy?

If Harvard keeps getting these wonderful recruiting classes, maybe they'll win an NCAA tournament game again in my lifetime. Beanpots, of course, are hopeless.

Posted by: cbuckser (76.197.6.---)
Date: September 07, 2007 01:27PM

In the last two decades, Cornell has not landed many players who were recruited by several national powerhouses. It's true that Riley Nash is the exception rather than the rule.

That said, Mike Schafer and his assistants have put together several national-title contenders despite not having a lot of highly touted talent. The best Cornell team in the last 35 years (2002-03) had one player, Mark McRae, for whom Cornell went out and beat upper echelon teams for talent.

The coaching staff has done a remarkable job identifying and recruiting talented players before they found their way on other teams' radar screens. Whether finding diamonds in the rough (e.g., Mike Iggulden, David McKee) or receiving commitments from players before their breakout seasons in junior hockey (e.g., Brendon Nash, Mike Garman), Cornell has put together some great teams despite having only two NHL first-round draft picks in its history.

It's premature to label Braden Birch a role player. He is a high-ceiling talent who I think has a good chance of becoming a top-two defenseman for Cornell. The fact that he isn't yet well-known doesn't mean that he's not a great get for Cornell. It just means that Cornell landed him before most other teams noticed.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2007 01:28PM by cbuckser.

Date: September 07, 2007 01:29PM

bothman

I know bothman's gonna get killed for this comment, but let'sw be fair -- his statement is fairly accurate. This isn't a Michigan or Minnesota recruiting class.

But in response:

1. The most dominant ECAC team since the great Harvard teams of the late 80's was Schafer's run early in this decade. Who were the highly coveted recuits on that team? Only one guy taken in the drafts between 1998 and 2003 went earlier than the 3rd round -- Leneveu, after a year at Cornell. The McRae brothers had a little buzz. The best player of that period, Murray, wasn't lighting up the recruiting board. It was a lunch pail team that developed from within.

2. So they stay four years. Fine with me.

3. As I'm sure bothman would agree, Schafer's system runs on size, power, intimidation, and commitment to defense. THN's annually over-hyped Princess Anne recruits don't fit that profile.

4. We'll see. I'll be happy if at the end of four years we can say "my redheaded stepchild beat up your honors student." upto

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 07, 2007 04:56PM

I may not be up on these things, but I didn't have the impression that Pokulok was considered a big-time recruit.

Posted by: ithacat (128.253.193.---)
Date: September 10, 2007 07:13AM

bothman
Phil,

You know Harvard's recruiting has picked up when Denver (Garman, Jillson), North Dakota (Jillson), New Hampshire (Jillson), and Michigan State (Birch) aren't considered upper echelon teams.

Date: September 11, 2007 09:42AM

If you think Jillson & Birch are high-end, upper echelon takent, then you need to take off those Big Red shades....

Garman & Nash were great gets. I'm just saying that everything else seems to be very middle of the road.

An earlier poster said that Schafer's system has never relied upon high-end talent, and I agree, that is true. Schafer clearly has been able to develop guys and have them buy into the system which allows Cornell's team to be better than the sum of its parts. Harvard under Donato has gotten better at this, but is still playign catch up in this regard....no argument from me there.

I'm not trying to throw Cornell under the bus, I'm just saying that the 2007 & 2008 class (thus far) does not appear to stack up to the Cornell classes of the early 2000s.

Look at Harvard's 2008 class:
Killorn - 3rd round draft pick
Hoyle - Top-rated goalie in the AJHL
Grimshaw - potential 1st - 2nd round NHL draft pick in 2008 draft
Moore - won't be a high draft pick due to size, but solid USNDT player
Kroshus - Top kid out of AJHL

Seriously, break down Cornell's 2008 class and tell me where each recruit projects. I suppose that we will have to see how Ross & Jillson perform this year in the USHL which should give everyone a much better sense for what kind of players they are.

Posted by: evilnaturedrobot (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: September 11, 2007 02:04PM

Bothman, nobody here is going to debate the fact that Harvard's 2008 recruiting class is, on paper, superior to Cornell's. Great for Harvard, we're all very proud for you. But the point is that we are still a year away from the 2008 class even matriculating, not to speak of how they adjust to NCAA hockey. The player who commits a year early is often not the same player that arrives on campus, and in the past we've seen Schafer and co. pick out some of those players that make signifigant strides in their last year of junior. Was Brendon Nash a big recruit when he signed with Cornell? Colin Greening?

Would we like to see Cornell go out and grab some big name guys? Of course, and who knows, there's still a year in which that may happen, but if that player doesn't materialize then I have confidence that the players coming in will produce within the system.

And, as of this moment, neither the NCAA, ECAC or the Ivy League hands out hardware for 'Best Recruiting Class.'
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2007 02:29PM by evilnaturedrobot.

Posted by: Robb (12.46.32.---)
Date: September 11, 2007 06:27PM

You're on another school's message board beating your chest about guys who won't pull on a Harvard sweater for another 13 months? Puh-leeze. Even Minnesota, NoDak, BC, and the true big boys of hockey sometimes miss on can't-miss prospects, so don't count your chickens too early - or too late, because they may be gone before you know it.

Maybe if Teddy figures out how to finish ahead of Fat Mike in the standings some day or win an NCAA game, we'll have to start taking you guys seriously again. ;-)

Posted by: sah67 (---.64.171.66.subscriber.vzavenue.net)
Date: September 11, 2007 06:41PM

evilnaturedrobot
Great for Harvard, we're all very proud for you.

And maybe even a little sympathetic that such a miniscule fanbase doesn't have its own message board on which to boast about players who won't be pulling on a sweater for another year...but still, only a little sympathetic ;)

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.caltech.edu)
Date: September 11, 2007 06:51PM

Not really along these lines, but it has to do with Harvard fans:
What do you do when someone on your rec league team is a Harvard grad? Found out after our first game that someone on my team was a Harvard grad and hockey fan there. I told him "it was nice having home games both home and away against Harvard" :)

Posted by: ftyuv (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: September 11, 2007 07:22PM

Even nicer when one of those home games is right near home. Oh snap! ;)

Mmmm, thread drift.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: September 11, 2007 07:22PM

A Harvard hockey fan in your rec league? I'd say just ignore him. He clearly is a figment of your fevered imagination.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.caltech.edu)
Date: September 11, 2007 07:38PM

KeithK
A Harvard hockey fan in your rec league? I'd say just ignore him. He clearly is a figment of your fevered imagination.

In Pasadena California even.

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 11, 2007 09:23PM

bothman,

I was responding to your assertion that you

...don't see Cornell going out and beating the upper echelon teams for talent.

Ostensibly, you don't consider Denver, North Dakota, New Hampshire, and Michigan State "upper echelon" teams. Those are some of the schools Cornell's recruits for 2008 turned down. That was the discussion point.

It's clear that your real point, however, is that you think Harvard has a better class in 2008 than Cornell. Fine. You're entitled to your opinion, and (I suspect) you could find many Cornell fans who think very highly of Harvard's class. Donato's doing a great job. Enjoy it.

Posted by: evilnaturedrobot (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 12, 2007 03:06AM

Harvard recruiting is, apparently, so good and intimidating that they've got the big boys of college hockey going to nefarious lengths to win recruiting battles. () The major programs are beside themselves, unsure of how to deal with this new threat.

And all this despite the fact that Harvard hasn't really won much of anything on the national scale in a decade.
Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2007 03:10AM by evilnaturedrobot.

Posted by: Robb (---.gradacc.ox.ac.uk)
Date: September 12, 2007 07:03AM

evilnaturedrobot
And all this despite the fact that Harvard hasn't really won much of anything on the national scale in a decade.

That's being pretty generous. Since the title in '89, Harvard is 1-7 in the NCAA tournament, including losses to lower-seeded teams in '93,'94,and '06, zero wins over higher-seeded teams, and infamously choking away a 4-1 lead with 16 minutes left in '04.

In that same span, Cornell also has made 7 trips to the NCAAs, and is 7-8 ('91 was a best-of-3 with Michigan), with 2 wins over higher seeded teams (Michigan in '91 and Mami in '96), and the only loss to a lower-ranked team being New Hampshire in '03 when Cornell was the #1 overall seed. 4 of those 15 games were played in the other team's home arena, (not even including the Wisconsin game in '06).

Date: September 12, 2007 10:44AM

Not to mention Albany in 2002 and 2006. Oh wait.

Harvard's been the second-most successful team in the conference during the reign of The Stout One. I'd rather accentuate how INCREDIBLY well we've done than make specious statements about an opponent. The Crimson have been a fine team.

We've just been better. banana

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: September 12, 2007 11:16AM

Robb
evilnaturedrobot

That's being pretty generous. Since the title in '89, Harvard is 1-7 in the NCAA tournament, including losses to lower-seeded teams in '93,'94,and '06, zero wins over higher-seeded teams, and infamously choking away a 4-1 lead with 16 minutes left in '04.

In that same span, Cornell also has made 7 trips to the NCAAs, and is 7-8 ('91 was a best-of-3 with Michigan), with 2 wins over higher seeded teams (Michigan in '91 and Mami in '96), and the only loss to a lower-ranked team being New Hampshire in '03 when Cornell was the #1 overall seed. 4 of those 15 games were played in the other team's home arena, (not even including the Wisconsin game in '06).
Shooting fish in a barrel is fun, isn't it? rock

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: September 13, 2007 03:04AM

Trotsky

2002 was in Lake Placid (the last one :`-().

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: September 15, 2007 12:37AM

jtwcornell91
Trotsky

2002 was in Lake Placid (the last one :`-().
Really? Jesus, I'm old, I have no recollection of that. scared

Posted by: ursusminor (---.washdc.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 04, 2008 04:28PM

Chris Heisenberg lists a new recruit, Sean Collins a LW for the Waywayseecappo Wolverines (MJHL). Heisenberg lists him as 6'3" 190lb, Wayway lsits him as 6'0" 185lb. [www.waywaywolverines.com]

Edit:

Last year 59-21-35-56-22 (from Heisenberg)
This year 49-36-51-87-28 (from MJHL site)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2008 04:32PM by ursusminor.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.gunnery.org)
Date: February 04, 2008 05:42PM

ursusminor
Chris Heisenberg lists a new recruit, Sean Collins a LW for the Waywayseecappo Wolverines (MJHL). Heisenberg lists him as 6'3" 190lb, Wayway lsits him as 6'0" 185lb. [www.waywaywolverines.com]

Edit:

Last year 59-21-35-56-22 (from Heisenberg)
This year 49-36-51-87-28 (from MJHL site)

Wow, the third Sean Collins of the last 7 years in college hockey. The first was a stud for New Hampshire and other was a pretty damn good defenseman for Ohio State.

Good to see a higher-end potential top six powerforward type.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2008 05:43PM by calgARI '07.

Date: February 04, 2008 06:34PM

I want to hear the Waywayseecappo Wolverines cheers.

Posted by: ben03 (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: February 04, 2008 06:57PM

nice to see our average size picking up again. so far the listed incoming classes now average:
6'1.25"
185.3 lb

Posted by: evilnaturedrobot (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 04, 2008 07:58PM

Any word on the quality of the MJHL? It's listed as Junior A, but I'm guessing it's a step below the BCHL (which is usually regarded as the Junior A elite.)

87 pts in 49 games ties him for third in the MJHL scoring race, which is certainly impressive. I'd like to know which height listing is correct. Either way he sounds like a nice get, but it would be extra nice if he comes with a powerforward's frame (especially if the Sens start noticing the year that Greening is having and try to lure him away.)

Posted by: upperdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 04, 2008 08:40PM

shouldnt the new "come to cornell for almost free policy" help the recruiting against the bigger schools.. it almost evens out to a free scholie..

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 04, 2008 09:19PM

upperdeck
shouldnt the new "come to cornell for almost free policy" help the recruiting against the bigger schools.. it almost evens out to a free scholie..

Don't all Canadians get scholarships anyway? rolleyes

I think they call them "Weak American Dollar" scholarships...

Posted by: ursusminor (---.washdc.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 04, 2008 09:29PM

evilnaturedrobot
Any word on the quality of the MJHL? It's listed as Junior A, but I'm guessing it's a step below the BCHL (which is usually regarded as the Junior A elite.)

87 pts in 49 games ties him for third in the MJHL scoring race, which is certainly impressive. I'd like to know which height listing is correct. Either way he sounds like a nice get, but it would be extra nice if he comes with a powerforward's frame (especially if the Sens start noticing the year that Greening is having and try to lure him away.)

The MJHL is one of the poorer Canadian JrA leagues, although every once in a while there is a very good team in the league. This was once explained to me as due to Manitoba's small population with 2/3 living in Winnipeg.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 05, 2008 08:19AM

upperdeck

It's not almost free. What they did is to limit loans. You still have a family and student portion, which, depending upon your income, can be substantial.

Date: February 05, 2008 09:31AM

Jim Hyla
upperdeck

It's not almost free. What they did is to limit loans. You still have a family and student portion, which, depending upon your income, can be substantial.

And student-athletes were probably getting a favorable balance of grants to loans in the first place, right?

Date: February 05, 2008 11:01AM

BRP reports that Collins was chosen in a poll as the fastest skater in his league.

This gives Cornell seven 2008 recruits replacing four seniors. Lots of healthy competition next year.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: February 05, 2008 11:07AM

Trotsky
This gives Cornell seven 2008 recruits replacing four seniors. Lots of healthy competition next year.
...and/or insurance against the (inevitable?) defection of certain players. :-(

Posted by: Robb (---.gradacc.ox.ac.uk)
Date: February 05, 2008 11:43AM

Jim Hyla
upperdeck

And, more importantly, ESPECIALLY for those who come from lower income families, the family contribution is a substantial percentage of that income. Which is harder: to pay $10k per year to go to Cornell if you earn $50k, or $30k if you're earning $125k?

(I don't know what the numbers are - just made that up)

Date: February 05, 2008 02:24PM

KeithK
Trotsky
My fingers are in my ears; I cannot hear you.

Date: February 05, 2008 02:54PM

KeithK
Trotsky
"Now you see, the changing of the worrd is inevitabre!"
"I'm sorry, it's what?"
"Inevit... inevitabre"
"One more time."
"INEVITABRE! Things are inevitabrey going to change! Goddamnit, open your fucking ears!"

Posted by: mnagowski (---.bflony.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 05, 2008 10:21PM

Robb
And, more importantly, ESPECIALLY for those who come from lower income families, the family contribution is a substantial percentage of that income. Which is harder: to pay $10k per year to go to Cornell if you earn $50k, or $30k if you're earning $125k?

Funny, as Cornell has posted scenarios that are pretty close to your speculation.

For a student from a family making $50k a year, the parents would be expected to pay $5k a year and the student would be expected to pay another ~$4k out of their summer savings and work-study. Cornell would chip in close to $40k in grant aid.

And for a student from a family making $120k a year, the parents would be expected to pay $20k a year and the student would be expected to pay another ~$4k out of their summer savings and work-study. And then add another $3k for a loan. Cornell would chip in close to $22k in grant aid.

So it's not quite Harvard's policy, which doesn't require any family contributions for families making less than 60k a year and a 12k contribution for families making $120k. (Although it presumably requires some sort of student work-study or self-help component.) Cornell's policy is probably more similar to Dartmouth's policy, which touts "tuition free" but probably requires a family contribution for room and board, or Northwestern's new policy. Both of those schools honestly compete for students with Cornell a lot more than Harvard does.

Of course, I don't know how the contract colleges or how non-University (e.g. alumni, boosters, etc.) scholarships would play into all of this.

[www.news.cornell.edu]

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 06, 2008 08:10AM

metaezra
Of course, I don't know how the contract colleges or how non-University (e.g. alumni, boosters, etc.) scholarships would play into all of this.

Virtually all scholarships, directly from CU or others, are figured into the student's package. Many, if not most, alumni scholarships go through the university, but the university figures those others into their considerations.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: February 06, 2008 11:19AM

Jim Hyla
metaezra

Virtually all scholarships, directly from CU or others, are figured into the student's package. Many, if not most, alumni scholarships go through the university, but the university figures those others into their considerations.
Which is why. if you get a scholarship from an outside source, it is in your best interest to not let Cornell know about it if at all possible. IIRC I managed this with one scholarship from my Dad's employer.

Posted by: upperdeck (---.fcsnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 06, 2008 01:34PM

but from what I was told they have changed the ratio's quite a bit.. so if before if you were expected to come up with 10K the figured that you would come up with X and Y would be Loans..

now they have lowered the X and capped the Y. The only way to cap the loan is to lower the expected X amount.. if they are going to cap the Loan amount they they need to substantially lower the X amount which is what I have been told they will be doing..

Date: February 08, 2008 02:09PM

Good to see the farm team succeeding. Nanaimo clinched their RS title last night. Get them used to winning.

Date: February 08, 2008 06:19PM

Trotsky
Good to see the farm team succeeding. Nanaimo clinched their RS title last night. Get them used to winning.
Looks like incoming goalie Mike Garman is having himself a pretty good season. He's sharing some of his time this year with Evan Smith, a guy two years younger. Wonder if Schafer has his eye on him too. The guy Colgate has coming in next year, Alex Evin, is also having a great season in the BCHL.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 14, 2008 03:54PM

Jordan Kary, Captain of the Spruce Grove Saints (AJHL) [ajhl.ca]

Stats: [www.ajhl.ab.ca]

Current Team: Spruce Grove Saints
Jersey Number: 22
Position: LW
Height: 6'2'
Weight: 200
Hometown: Wetaskiwin AB
Shoots: Left
Date of Birth: November 3, 1987 (20 years)

PLAYER STATISTICS
EXHIBITION • REGULAR SEASON • PLAYOFFS • OVERALL TOTALS

SEASON TEAM GP G A PTS P/G +/- PPG SHG GWG GTG PIM
2007-2008 Spruce Grove Saints 56 30 28 58 1.0 0 15 1 4 0 109
2006-2007 Spruce Grove Saints 60 21 33 54 0.9 14 13 1 3 0 67
2005-2006 Spruce Grove Saints 58 16 12 28 0.5 0 4 0 4 1 84
CAREER TOTALS 174 67 73 140 0.8 14 32 2 11 1 260

Date: February 14, 2008 07:14PM

Kary will be a 21-year old freshman.

Date: February 14, 2008 08:01PM

Trotsky
...and as such will likely be very popular in his freshman dorm.

Date: February 14, 2008 08:12PM

Trotsky

Kary won't be 21 until a few months in. Mike Garman will actually be 21 by the time he steps on campus. Garman will be about a month older than Doug Krantz was when he was a Freshman

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2008 08:14PM by pfibiger.

Date: February 15, 2008 02:40PM

pfibiger
Trotsky

Kary won't be 21 until a few months in. Mike Garman will actually be 21 by the time he steps on campus. Garman will be about a month older than Doug Krantz was when he was a Freshman
Wasn't Neil Little about 35 when he was a frosh at RPI?

Posted by: ursusminor (---.nrl.navy.mil)
Date: February 15, 2008 02:46PM

Trotsky
pfibiger
Trotsky

nut Eighteen at the start of his freshman year; nineteen at the end. [www.hockeydb.com]. Are you thinking of someone else?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2008 05:22PM by ursusminor.

Date: February 15, 2008 02:59PM

Dick Bertrand was 25 when he arrived at Cornell in the fall of 1966 and 29 when he graduated and was named head coach. Maybe this kid can emulate Dick and captain us to another national championship. Asking for an unbeaten season is, of course, a little too much.;-)

Posted by: Larry72 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 15, 2008 05:56PM

However Dick was "so old" that he couldn't participate as a player in the 1970 NCAA games. On the other hand...shooting for another unbeaten season or four plus years of being unbeaten at home (the entire four years that the Class of '72 were undergrads) are goals that any Cornell team should strive to emulate.

LGR

Larry '72

Date: February 15, 2008 06:29PM

ursusminor
Trotsky
pfibiger
Trotsky

nut Eighteen at the start of his freshman year; nineteen at the end. [www.hockeydb.com]. Are you thinking of someone else?
Must be. RPI goalie, mid 90s? I think he was about 26 as a senior -- very old, particularly for that time before teams started routinely telling guys to defer for a year.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 15, 2008 07:51PM

Trotsky
ursusminor
Trotsky
pfibiger
Trotsky

Must be. RPI goalie, mid 90s? I think he was about 26 as a senior -- very old, particularly for that time before teams started routinely telling guys to defer for a year.

Joel Laing was 24. I can't think of a goalie who was older. [www.hockeydb.com]

Date: February 16, 2008 05:22PM

ursusminor
Joel Laing was 24. I can't think of a goalie who was older. [www.hockeydb.com]
Must've been him. I remember at the time he seemed very old -- it's a testament to the change in the game that we don't even bat an eye now.

Nik Pokulok
Posted by: sah67 (---.65.171.66.subscriber.vzavenue.net)
Date: February 20, 2008 12:49AM

Sasha's little brother has committed to Clarkson for 2009

Re: Nik Pokulok
Posted by: RichH (76.28.11.---)
Date: February 20, 2008 01:03AM

sah67

Ouch. 6'5" 225 lbs. defenseman. Just when you thought Cornell had a lock on brotherly love. He played at Northwood School, which is in Lake Placid...maybe proximity helped in the recruiting?

Good get, Knight fans.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 20, 2008 01:29AM

RichH
sah67

Ouch. 6'5" 225 lbs. defenseman. Just when you thought Cornell had a lock on brotherly love. He played at Northwood School, which is in Lake Placid...maybe proximity helped in the recruiting?

Good get, Knight fans.

Maybe he couldn't get into Cornell?

Posted by: ursusminor (---.nrl.navy.mil)
Date: February 20, 2008 03:52AM

Jim Hyla

USHR did say "He’s also a really bright kid," so that probably wasn't the problem. They did, however, also say "However, the younger Pokulok doesn’t have the offensive skills of his older brother." The fact that 2008 Clarkson recruit Julien Cayer is a teammate at Northwoods probably helped.

Posted by: nr53 (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 20, 2008 03:59AM

ursusminor
USHR did say "He’s also a really bright kid," so that probably wasn't the problem. They did, however, also say "However, the younger Pokulok doesn’t have the offensive skills of his older brother." The fact that 2008 Clarkson recruit Julien Cayer is a teammate at Northwoods probably helped.

As long as he's as slow as Sasha, I can live with that :-P

Posted by: Dpperk29 (128.153.210.---)
Date: February 20, 2008 07:33AM

Jim Hyla
RichH
sah67

Good get, Knight fans.

It probably isn't cold enough for him in Ithaca.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.dhcp.psdn.ca.charter.com)
Date: February 20, 2008 08:27AM

The rumor mill at the time was that Sasha did not enjoy his time on the hill while he was here (at least academically) so that may have had an influence.

Date: February 20, 2008 12:43PM

Jacob '06
The rumor mill at the time was that Sasha did not enjoy his time on the hill while he was here (at least academically) so that may have had an influence.
I have no idea whether that's true or not. But a kid who only stays two years is probably less likely to encourage his siblings to come to the school.

Posted by: puckstopper2 (67.32.36.---)
Date: February 20, 2008 12:54PM

Not sure how bad it is, but Garman injured in last game.
[www.nanaimoclippers.com]

Posted by: redhair34 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 20, 2008 01:02PM

puckstopper2
Not sure how bad it is, but Garman injured in last game.
[www.nanaimoclippers.com]

I got the impression that it isn't that serious.

"If we had to play tomorrow or Wednesday, he wouldn't play. He'll be questionable for this weekend."

There are also some nice tidbits in the article about our second favorite coach.

Date: February 20, 2008 03:04PM

KeithK
Jacob '06
I have no idea whether that's true or not. But a kid who only stays two years is probably less likely to encourage his siblings to come to the school.
That's why the siblings have to only be one year apart, like Brendon and Riley.

Date: February 20, 2008 04:57PM

Josh '99
KeithK
Jacob '06

Or zero years apart, like Cam and Chris (or Mark and Matt).

Date: February 20, 2008 05:38PM

jtwcornell91
Josh '99
KeithK
Jacob '06

Or zero years apart, like Cam and Chris (or Mark and Matt).
Well, obviously.

Seasons in the last 25 with two or more sets of twins on the team: 1
Frozen Four appearances in such seasons: 1

Seasons in the last 25 years with one or no sets of twins on the team: 24
Frozen Four appearances in such seasons: 0

I think it's clear what Coach Schafer needs to do. upto

Posted by: KenP (---.nws.noaa.gov)
Date: February 21, 2008 07:34AM

NEW RECRUITS ANNOUNCED FOR 2008

Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: February 21, 2008 10:54AM

KenP

They better learn to play within the system or they can go straight to the OHL.

Date: February 21, 2008 11:20AM

ugarte
KenP

They're gonna need a lot of time in the weight room.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: February 21, 2008 11:36AM

Al DeFlorio
ugarte
KenP

On the other hand, I hear good things about their stick-handling.

Going straight to hell,

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.cmbrmaks.akamai.com)
Date: February 21, 2008 11:56AM

Beeeej
Al DeFlorio
ugarte
KenP

Going straight to hell,

Nah. They're over 18. Fair game.

Now, that doesn't mean we're not DOM.

Kyle
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2008 11:56AM by krose.

Posted by: sah67 (---.65.171.66.subscriber.vzavenue.net)
Date: February 21, 2008 12:08PM

KenP

They'd probably throw more checks than Romano did.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2008 12:09PM by sah67.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: February 21, 2008 12:14PM

sah67
KenP

They'd probably cash more checks than Romano did.

FYP

Posted by: redice (---.157.14.51.Dial1.Boston1.Level3.net)
Date: February 21, 2008 12:32PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
sah67
KenP

FYP

Five Year Plan, of course. demented

Date: February 21, 2008 06:48PM

redice
Jeff Hopkins '82
sah67
KenP

FYP

No post. Just wanted to keep the streak alive.

Posted by: RazzBaronZ (146.203.126.---)
Date: February 21, 2008 08:50PM

Trotsky
redice
Jeff Hopkins '82
sah67
KenP

FYP

I don't think they'll have any trouble scoring. (I'm sorry, really...)

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 21, 2008 09:24PM

RazzBaronZ
Trotsky
redice
Jeff Hopkins '82
sah67
KenP

FYP

I don't think they'll have any trouble scoring. (I'm sorry, really...)

I think we'll all be looking for some 2-on-1s. (I apologize for nothing!)

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.rbccm.com)
Date: February 21, 2008 10:11PM

Beeeej

Going straight to hell,
I just vomited in my mouth a little bit.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login