Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell at Dartmouth postgame

Posted by billhoward 
Cornell at Dartmouth postgame
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 23, 2007 09:41PM

1. Special teams.
2. No energy.

We are a Jekyll and Hyde team. Especially at Dartmouth. We got blown out three years ago (three?), but it only took one period for it to be apparent. This took a while to go downhill.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2007 09:47PM by billhoward.

Re: Cornell at Dartmouth post-game
Posted by: redheadfanatic (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 23, 2007 09:46PM

I changed mine. Use this post game thread.

This is not the team we saw last weekend. Let's hope that with all the fans we are bringing tomorrow, Cornell does think of it as Lynah (East) and we come out on top.

Date: February 23, 2007 09:47PM

Oops, and I changed mine. I'll change this back. - BH

Posted by: ryeguy (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 23, 2007 09:47PM

Standings are going to shape up like this:

1.SLU-33
2.Clarkson-28
3.Dartmouth-25
T4.Cornell-24
T4.Quinnipiac-24
T6.Harvard-20
T6.Princeton-20
T8.Colgate-17
T8.RPI-17
T10.Yale-15
T10.Union-15
12.Brown-14

8/12 teams involved in ties. All of which are going to come out fired up. I'd like to think we come out flying.

Basically we need Clarkson to beat Quinnipiac, Colgate to beat Dartmouth, and obviously we need to beat SUCKS. This is for a best case scenario of third place.

Correct me if I am wrong in any way.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2007 09:53PM by ryeguy.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: February 23, 2007 09:48PM

ryeguy
Basically we need Clarkson to beat Quinnipiac, SLU to beat Dartmouth, and obviously we need to beat SUCKS. This is for a best case scenario of third place.

Correct me if I am wrong in ay way.

SLU plays Princeton, Colgate plays Dartmouth.

Date: February 23, 2007 09:50PM

ryeguy
Correct me if I am wrong in ay way.

... only for thinking right now (today only) that we're going to move mountains in the post-season. Maybe tomorrow when we blow out the Cantabs 5-0.

Ari in this week's column talked about how new guys stepped up to fill the boots of those who got hurt or went pro. Today we saw the limits of guys stepping up to fill big shoes. Or something. Geez, it was depressing, including the crappy video feed for eight bucks with no announcers.

Date: February 23, 2007 09:50PM

wow. my bad.

Re: Cornell at Dartmouth postgame
Posted by: upperdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 23, 2007 09:55PM

the game really was all about not scoring on those first period PP especially on at least 2 of them had the puch 2-3 ft from the goal with the goalie in his back and no clue where the puck was..

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: February 23, 2007 09:59PM

Personally, I'd rather be the 4 with Quinny the 5 than the 4 with Dartmouth the 5. I'd also rather be the 5 with Quinny the 4 than Dartmouth as the 4. The three would be great and all, but if there's an out of lyanh east result I'll most be hoping for tomorrow, it's Clarkson winning big.

So in descending order:
Go Red
Go Tech
Go Gate

Date: February 23, 2007 10:00PM

Geez, it was depressing, including the crappy video feed for eight bucks with no announcers.

Yeah? Why didn't you mix it with the audio feed with the amazing new color comm. by a Dartmouth student?

Date: February 23, 2007 10:20PM

billhoward
... only for thinking right now (today only) that we're going to move mountains in the post-season. Maybe tomorrow when we blow out the Cantabs 5-0.

This is college hockey, you never know what will happen. I didn't remember saying that we will move mountains, I just hope we play up to potential.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2007 10:21PM by ryeguy.

Posted by: RedintheGreen (---.KishHeaterRoad.nhvt.cust.seg.NET)
Date: February 23, 2007 10:53PM

Painful....just painful to watch. Two 5-3 PP's and nothing to show for them and the list goes on....

Posted by: Karlmoose (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 23, 2007 10:58PM

This may have been discussed already somewhere, but I can't find it...
Cornell vs. Q tiebreak (if necessary)...
1st thing is head to head (tied)
2nd thing is record vs. top 4. This is a bit strange because one of them is probably going to be 4th, but at this point, Cornell is 1-4-1, Q is 1-3-1. If both teams lose tomorrow, the teams are tied in both categories.
What is the next tiebreaker? I could probably look this up, but I'm far too lazy and disappointed.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 23, 2007 11:31PM

Karlmoose
2nd thing is record vs. top 4. This is a bit strange because one of them is probably going to be 4th, but at this point, Cornell is 1-4-1, Q is 1-3-1. If both teams lose tomorrow, the teams are tied in both categories.
What is the next tiebreaker? I could probably look this up, but I'm far too lazy and disappointed.

TBRW's playoff scenario thingy seemed to indicate that if both teams lose tomorrow, Q gets #4.

Posted by: cbuckser (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: February 24, 2007 12:20AM

When I have used the script, Cornell has won the tiebreaker when I've run many possibilities with both teams losing. Cornell would win the record-vs.-top-8 tiebreaker if Colgate or RPI takes 8th place. If Cornell and Quinnipiac both tie or both win, then Quinnipiac would take the record-vs.-top-4 tiebreaker.

Re: Horrible Game...
Posted by: Oat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 24, 2007 01:07AM

Only at Dartmouth can this happen to us. Yeah, every year.

Maybe we have to look at the coaches and and wonder if anything is lacking in terms of team preparation and strategy. Even if Pokulok, O'byrne, and McKee were still with us, we probably wouldn't have won anyway. It's just a terrible curse. 5-1 final score. They're not THAT much better than us.

(oh wait.. maybe they are.. maybe they just proved it..) :-|

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 24, 2007 01:08AM

Hey, better than last year. Bâby steps!

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: JimHyla (12.198.138.---)
Date: February 24, 2007 01:35AM

Assumming we win, we need Dartmouth or Q to lose. If Q wins they get the tiebreaker with us ( top 4 ), so D must lose. If Q loses we jump ahead of them, regardless of D.

If we lose, we need Q to lose, regardless of D and the others. I think.

If we both tie, Q gets it regardless of what D does.

So the most important thing is for Q to lose.

Go Tech
Go Red
Go gate

The problem is, Tech can't drop out of second, so don't have as much to lose by losing. We have to hope they are mad about Princeton and don't want to end up with two home losses. They might still get an at large bid without winning the ECAC's? I didn't run those options, but hopefully they think that way.

Posted by: Oat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 24, 2007 02:07AM

Go Gate you say?

That's just not happening, man. Colgate fans are just too rude. They always will be. :-(

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: February 24, 2007 04:29AM

Karlmoose

It's top 8:

[elf.elynah.com]

We lose the tiebreaker with Dartmouth. With Quinnipiac, we lose it unless we both lose tomorrow, in which case we win it.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 24, 2007 07:17AM

JimHyla
The problem is, Tech can't drop out of second, so don't have as much to lose by losing. We have to hope they are mad about Princeton and don't want to end up with two home losses.
The Clarkson-Q game is at a sold-out TD BankNorth, not Cheel. On ESPNU at 8pm tonight.

Re: Cornell at Dartmouth postgame - no energy on eLynah
Posted by: billhoward (---.sub-75-193-241.myvzw.com)
Date: February 24, 2007 08:02AM

The number of posts (~20 in the half day after the game) after a Cornell loss seems proportional to how much of a chance we had to win the game. If it was close and if-only this or that had happened, we comment it to death. Not a lot of ways to say, "We didn't look sharp. Our special teams were underperformers."

Posted by: JDeafv (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 24, 2007 08:09AM

Al DeFlorio
The Clarkson-Q game is at a sold-out TD BankNorth, not Cheel. On ESPNU at 8pm tonight.

I thought early in the season the Cornell-Harvard game was listed on ESPNU, hence the 8 PM start time printed on some tickets.

In the playoff possibilities, regardless of Cornell's outcome, we need outside help (Colgate or Clarkson) to finish in the top 4.

Date: February 24, 2007 09:16AM

Al DeFlorio
JimHyla
The problem is, Tech can't drop out of second, so don't have as much to lose by losing. We have to hope they are mad about Princeton and don't want to end up with two home losses.
My bad.

Posted by: CTUCK1 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 24, 2007 10:28AM

You've said it twice and I agree with you both times.

My only edit might be instead of we "didn't look sharp" we "had no heart and no guts." It's ugly to look at on the screen, but I think that's the real deal.

That said, we have much to look forward to (and I'm not giving up on this season): Mugford, Seminoff, Sawada (fingers crossed),this year's freshman class, Krantz, Fontas, the goalies getting better, Coach Schafer pulling his head out of his ass (and he will).

LGR!
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2007 10:41AM by CTUCK1.

Date: February 24, 2007 11:09AM

CTUCK1
Coach Schafer pulling his head out of his ass
Give me a break.What an extrodinarily helpful observation.rolleyes

Date: February 24, 2007 11:57AM

Tech has plenty to lose. Pairwise rankings for starters.

Date: February 24, 2007 12:52PM

Al DeFlorio
JimHyla

Well then if it isn't being mad about getting swept at home, then let's hope Tech gets fired up about possibly being swept in the series against Princeton and Quinny. They already handed Clarkson two home losses at Cheel back in November.

LGR!,Tech and 'gate too.

Date: February 24, 2007 01:04PM

CTUCK1
Coach Schafer pulling his head out of his ass (and he will).

I just don't understand how you can say that? Yes, he is part of the team, but you can bet he is doing everything that HE can do. He can't go play the game for them.

Posted by: CTUCK1 (---.syr.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 24, 2007 02:51PM

I love the guy. He's why I follow Cornell hockey. But I think this has been an off year for him in terms of getting the most out of a hockey club.

Way too much reliance on a bunch of guys who are just not getting it done. In past years, we've always made it further than our talent would suggest. This year the reverse is true. I think you have to chalk at least some of that up to coaching.

Posted by: RedintheGreen (129.170.161.---)
Date: February 24, 2007 02:52PM

If it's any consolation the Dartmouth Hockey team are pretty much all in the same fraternity and it's quite possible that they all partied a little too hard last night. Hopefully they will be hungover and Colgate can take a win from them.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 24, 2007 03:14PM

CTUCK1
I love the guy. He's why I follow Cornell hockey. But I think this has been an off year for him in terms of getting the most out of a hockey club.

Way too much reliance on a bunch of guys who are just not getting it done. In past years, we've always made it further than our talent would suggest. This year the reverse is true. I think you have to chalk at least some of that up to coaching.

I do have a question here. Have you ever laced up a pair of skates?scream

Actually two questions. Do you use laces or velcro for your street shoes?;-)

Sorry, but most of us who have tried to do anything remotely approaching the play of D-1 hockey should keep our collective mouths shut, else we might be accused of having our heads in a dark place ourselves.

This year, at times, the team has outperformed any reasonable expectations.

Date: February 24, 2007 03:21PM

RedintheGreen
If it's any consolation the Dartmouth Hockey team are pretty much all in the same fraternity and it's quite possible that they all partied a little too hard last night. Hopefully they will be hungover and Colgate can take a win from them.

LOL! Hope your right. Colgate should be hungry for a win, it's been a while. It's actually weird hoping that Dex plays as well as he did against us @ 'gate and the Burton-Winchester show is in full swing.

Date: February 24, 2007 03:23PM

CTUCK1

Agree with this.

Re: Cornell at Dartmouth postgame - SUCKS game thread?
Date: February 24, 2007 03:28PM

Call me superstitious but who's planning on starting this tonight? Better yet, who's brave enough? billhoward please? upto

Re: Cornell at Dartmouth postgame - SUCKS game thread?
Posted by: Rita (---.agry.purdue.edu)
Date: February 24, 2007 03:36PM

ryeguy
Call me superstitious but who's planning on starting this tonight? Better yet, who's brave enough? billhoward please? upto

Not me [0-2-0 0.000 Rita (Dartmouth, SLU)]!! :-O

However, I will update the "other scores" thread :).

I feel somewhat at fault for yesterday's loss. It was a "game day" and I didn't wear red. I didn't know that wearing black would turn our powerplay unit into stone statues. I didn't make that mistake today, I'm wearing my red Cornell sweatshirt. ;-)

LGR!

Date: February 24, 2007 04:26PM

ryeguy
CTUCK1

Agree with this.

After losing McKee, O'Byrne and Pokulok, most of us expected a downturn based on the talent. We have a good Freshman class, but remember that when the Class of 2003 were frosh, we finished 7th in the ECAC, with a losing record.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.ashbva.adelphia.net)
Date: February 24, 2007 06:01PM

jtwcornell91
After losing McKee, O'Byrne and Pokulok, most of us expected a downturn based on the talent. We have a good Freshman class, but remember that when the Class of 2003 were frosh, we finished 7th in the ECAC, with a losing record.
Exactly so. A rebuilding year used to mean sub-.500, now it means playing for a bye on the final night of the season. That's improvement.

Posted by: cth95 (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: February 24, 2007 06:47PM

Now I know why I haven't bothered to go to Dartmouth despite living in Vermont for 10 years.

Seriously, this team is frustrating to watch, but I suppose that is expected when they are so young. I expect mistakes like some of the turnovers that led to goals, but what I don't understand is how they have played so flat so many times this year. You don't need experience to play with energy.

There were about 15 minutes total throughout the game when Cornell was just flying and dominating the game. They even had one very good powerplay early in the first. Unfortunately, nothing ever came of the little bit of time Cornell did play well.

Instead, during the rest of the game, we gave up more turnovers and left more opposing players wide-open on rebounds than in any game I can remember in the last few years. Blame Davenport all you want, but I was sitting right above his goal line in the 1st and 3rd. He may not have been as sharp as he could have been, but I don't know how many times I saw 2 or 3 Dartmouth players breaking into the zone with only one of our defensemen back, forcing Davenport to continually take the open man with the puck with no D to help him.

Date: February 24, 2007 07:08PM

(fetal position)

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 26, 2007 11:04AM

jtwcornell91
ryeguy
CTUCK1

Agree with this.

Incorrect. In the 1999-2000 season, Cornell finished 4th in the ECAC at 10-9-1 in conference and an overall record of 16-14-2. You're probably thinking of the 1998-1999 season (9-10-3 ECAC, 12-15-4 overall).

Date: February 26, 2007 11:33AM

Will
jtwcornell91
ryeguy
CTUCK1

Agree with this.

Incorrect. In the 1999-2000 season, Cornell finished 4th in the ECAC at 10-9-1 in conference and an overall record of 16-14-2. You're probably thinking of the 1998-1999 season (9-10-3 ECAC, 12-15-4 overall).

Oops. I suck at math. :-}

Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: February 26, 2007 12:02PM

jtwcornell91
Will
jtwcornell91
ryeguy
CTUCK1

Agree with this.

Oops. I suck at math. :-}
The math was off but the point still kinda holds. When the 2002 (NCAA QF) seniors were frosh, we finished 7th in the ECAC, with a barely losing record. When we added the frosh from the class of 2003, we finished 4th in the ECAC with a barely winning record. We improved a little more in 2001 and followed it with two years so outstanding that expectations for hockey under Schafer have reached unrealistic football-at-FSU levels among some of the fans.

An underclassman-heavy team with so-so goaltending has a first round bye. As the underclassmen improve (and the incoming classes look to be good as well) - and the goaltending improves (something I don't doubt will happen either) we are looking at the base of an excellent team.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2007 12:03PM by ugarte.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login