Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornellians who will see ice time in the NHL in '07

Posted by CUontheslopes 
Cornellians who will see ice time in the NHL in '07
Posted by: CUontheslopes (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 18, 2007 10:01PM

So which Cornellians do you think will make it into the NHL this year and how much ice time will they see?

I will refrain from commenting, but merely set forth the question.

Re: Cornellians who will see ice time in the NHL in '07
Posted by: Doug '08 (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 18, 2007 10:55PM

For one, I think Ryan O'Byrne will have a good shot. He played well for Hamilton down the stretch and had a great playoffs.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 19, 2007 12:53AM

With Phoenix only having Lenny and Mikael Tellqvist under contract at this point (if I'm not mistaken), I have to imagine he'll get at least a few games.

San Jose also seems to only have six defensemen under contract at this point, though still with a fair amount of cap room to work with (Phoenix too for that matter). I don't figure Murray will get any LESS playing time than he did last year, though I wouldn't necessarily bet on him getting more either.

Posted by: RichH (76.28.11.---)
Date: July 19, 2007 02:26AM

CUontheslopes
I will refrain from commenting

Whoa! Thank goodness you restrained yourself...we wouldn't want anyone expressing an opinion on this sensitive topic. ;-)

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.rbccm.com)
Date: July 19, 2007 04:43PM

Doug Murray

Lenny

Mike Iggulden (fingers crossed - why not give a player like him a shot on the 4th line?)

.....and don't forget Etienne Belzile

Hard to see McKee getting a shot. O'Byrne, not sure. Wish Charlie and Ryan were sticking around stateside.

Posted by: Ronald '09 (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: July 19, 2007 09:15PM

Josh '99
With Phoenix only having Lenny and Mikael Tellqvist under contract at this point (if I'm not mistaken), I have to imagine he'll get at least a few games.

San Jose also seems to only have six defensemen under contract at this point, though still with a fair amount of cap room to work with (Phoenix too for that matter). I don't figure Murray will get any LESS playing time than he did last year, though I wouldn't necessarily bet on him getting more either.

Coyotes signed Aebischer today to a 1 year, $600K deal. That probably means Leneveu and Tellqvist are battling for a roster spot, although at 600K (probably one way), they could afford to get rid of Aebischer easily and keep the other two.

How close is Matt Moulson to being NHL ready?

McKee could get a game or two as both goalies in front of him seem likely to have injuries. Is he third on the organizational depth chart now? I'm guessing he'll re-sign for less than the 10 percent raise of a qualifying offer. Kind of like Johnny Oduya did in New Jersey.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2007 09:30PM by Ronald '09.

Posted by: The Rancor (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: July 20, 2007 08:37AM

Ronald '09

Coyotes signed Aebischer today to a 1 year, $600K deal. That probably means Leneveu and Tellqvist are battling for a roster spot, although at 600K (probably one way), they could afford to get rid of Aebischer easily and keep the other two.

McKee could get a game or two as both goalies in front of him seem likely to have injuries. Is he third on the organizational depth chart now? I'm guessing he'll re-sign for less than the 10 percent raise of a qualifying offer. Kind of like Johnny Oduya did in New Jersey.

McKee was defacto-relesed from the Ducks when they didn't pick the second half of his 2 year deal. He is now an UFA.

Moulson had a decent rookie camp and although not a fan favorite, i find it hard to belive that while leading his team in scoring he is doing any thing but quietly impressing the brass. He might have a cup of tea with the Kings at some point this year.

Posted by: crodger1 (---.abtassoc.com)
Date: July 20, 2007 10:23AM

The Rancor
Ronald '09
Moulson had a decent rookie camp and although not a fan favorite, i find it hard to belive that while leading his team in scoring he is doing any thing but quietly impressing the brass. He might have a cup of tea with the Kings at some point this year.

I am pretty sure I read that the Devils also picked up Noah Clarke a couple of weeks ago. Clarke was Matt's biggest competitor for the top LW spot last season in Manchester (and Clarke did get a cup of coffee in the N last season). Can't hurt Matt's chances.

LGR!

Posted by: redhair34 (38.117.247.---)
Date: July 20, 2007 10:53AM

crodger1
The Rancor
Ronald '09

I am pretty sure I read that the Devils also picked up Noah Clarke a couple of weeks ago. Clarke was Matt's biggest competitor for the top LW spot last season in Manchester (and Clarke did get a cup of coffee in the N last season). Can't hurt Matt's chances.

LGR!

I'd love to see Matt in the NHL this year, but unless he has improved his strength or speed since graduating I can't see him getting a lot more than a cup of coffee. He's got great hockey sense, and an accurate shot (when he has time to get it off), but at this stage I don't think he is fast enough or strong enough to make it in the NHL. This is a big year for him. The Kings are absolutely loaded with good prospects so it should be very competitive in Rookie camp and in Manchester. His point totals were OK last year but he'll need to continue to improve his game this upcoming season especially during the post-season where, by all accounts, he disappeared.

Posted by: redhair34 (38.117.247.---)
Date: July 20, 2007 11:02AM

Would Doug have been a top 4 defenseman in the pre-lockout NHL? I'm not sure, but his skating would be less of an issue. I hope he improved his skating/foot speed this off season.

Posted by: Doug '08 (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 21, 2007 12:21AM

redhair34
Would Doug have been a top 4 defenseman in the pre-lockout NHL? I'm not sure, but his skating would be less of an issue. I hope he improved his skating/foot speed this off season.

This is a good point, I agree, the rule changes really hurt players like him.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: July 21, 2007 12:42AM

Coyotes on Aebischer: [coyotes.nhl.com]
[q]“With the signing of David Aebischer we have taken the next step in creating depth at the goaltending position,” said Maloney.[/q]

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: July 21, 2007 07:14AM

David Harding
[q]“With the signing of David Aebischer we have taken the next step in creating depth at the goaltending position,” said Maloney.[/q]

"By signing another goaltender, we have increased the number of goaltenders that we have signed. Maloney need food!"

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 21, 2007 11:11AM

David Harding
More depth doesn't answer the question of where everybody fits on the depth chart, though.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 21, 2007 03:23PM

Josh '99
David Harding
More depth doesn't answer the question of where everybody fits on the depth chart, though.

Probably means it is TBD based on pre-season play.

Sort of when like when Omar stocks the organization with 8 potential #5 starters.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login