Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

anyone been to estero?

Posted by stm22 
anyone been to estero?
Posted by: stm22 (---)
Date: December 09, 2002 08:41PM

So, I'll be in FL for the break, and was seriously considering going down to the tourney. Anyone who's been there, how hard are tix to get? Are they at the CU tix office? How about accomodations around there?

Let's Go Red
--Steve M

Re: anyone been to estero?
Posted by: Mike Hedrick 01 (---)
Date: December 10, 2002 12:37AM

I am also contemplating going, but I've never been, so I have the same questions. Some folks responded to my earlier inquiry, saying we don't get a particularly big turnout there, but I can't think of a nicer thing than enjoying sunny Florida and CU hockey at the same time.

Posted by: Beeeej (---)
Date: December 10, 2002 01:09AM

Some things I remember about Estero 2000:

1) Tickets are offered as part of the Everblades season package, so there is actually a limited number of seats. That doesn't mean you'll necessarily have trouble getting in, but despite being nearly "sold out," the arena definitely wasn't filled. I believe we bought tickets directly through the Everblades box office, not through Cornell, but perhaps someone else in my group remembers otherwise.

2) Accomodations right near the arena are apparently sparse, or at least that's what I recall hearing from John Whelan. A number of us preferred to treat it like a combination beach vacation and New Years party that happened to have some hockey games, so we got rooms at a condo-type resort in Ft. Myers Beach. That was nice, but the weather was not terribly cooperative, so it probably wasn't worth the money for the beach proximity (though the condo was spacious and well-appointed, e.g., dishwasher and complete dish/silver/glasses set in the kitchen, screened-in porch, etc.). And then the drive to the arena from there was annoying, especially since there's only one main road onto and off of Ft. Myers Beach - but it's also at least a half hour away regardless. If I went again, I'd probably try to stay a good deal closer to the arena, and make the beach the day-trip (or only stay the weekend).

3) Seafood is cheap, plentiful, and very good in the area if you avoid the really touristy restaurants.

Beeeej

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---)
Date: December 10, 2002 01:33AM

Count me in the "really contemplating going" group. If I could secure a cheap enough flight (NY to either Ft. Lauderdale or West Palm Beach), and then things fell into place with tix and convincing the 'rents to either gimme the car for 2 days or come with me over to Estero (they'll be in Delray Beach for a couple-week vacation), then it becomes very tempting to get down to Florida for the tourney.

Plus, a few days of 80 degree weather wouldn't be too bad after the weather these last couple weeks in Ithaca....

Posted by: Adam '01 (205.217.105.---)
Date: December 10, 2002 07:27AM

I highly recommend JetBlue if you're looking for cheap tickets. You can actually get a direct flight from Kennedy to Ft. Myers, which is about the same distance as Ft. Lauderdale (of course, you can also get a flight to Ft. Lauderdale if you prefer).

Or, if that doesn't work out, consider Southwest out of Islip (or Albany if that's closer to you). They'll route you through Baltimore, but you'll be in Ft. Lauderdale in about 4 hours and enjoy a very cheap fare.

Date: December 10, 2002 08:09AM

Sorry, what was I saying, Ft. Myers is much closer to Estero than Ft. Lauderdale. Anyhow, JetBlue will get you to both cities.

Posted by: jy3 (216.133.202.---)
Date: December 10, 2002 10:11AM

for something to do...they just finished a waterways tour in the estero area. supposed to be pretty sweet. Read it in the american airlines magazine :-)
for trips from ny to florida i would suggest jetblue and southwest also. jetblue is the best airline on which i have ever flown. nut

Posted by: CUlater '89 (---)
Date: December 10, 2002 10:55AM

JetBlue is definitely the way to go; I took it from JFK to Fort Myers this past March -- DirectTV, cheery flight attendants, no problems. If you book on the website, it's usually $5 cheaper each way.

Also, if looking for advice on good places to eat, try the Florida message board at this excellent food site: [www.chowhound.com]

Date: December 10, 2002 11:03AM

You might also check out www.flyertalk.com

It's an online community of people who travel a lot (mainly business travelers, as you might expect). They offer really good/seasoned hotel, food, and flight advice.

Posted by: Gabe Heafitz (---)
Date: December 10, 2002 05:05PM

Okay, dumb question, but will the Estero tourney be televised? Thanks!

NUMBER FREAKING FOUR! Unbelievable!!

Posted by: Larry72 (---)
Date: December 10, 2002 06:43PM

We recently decided to attend the Everblades Tournament. I checked with Sue Detzer about tickets. She told me that the unsold tickets from Cornell's allotment have been sent back. Cornell will be seated in and around Section 108. The Ticket Office number is: 941-948-7825, ext. 1500.

There are a number of hotels north of the arena. The team will be staying in Bonita Springs which is right near North Naples, FL. We got rooms at the Doubletree Suites in North Naples. It's about 13 miles from the rink.

Larry

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---)
Date: December 11, 2002 01:47AM

Tickets are apparantly also available on ticketmaster.com

Just search for Everblades Classic.

Although with a $5/ticket "convenience" charge and not being able to select what section you sit in, I guess it's worth the trouble to call the TECO box office.

Posted by: The Turkeybone (---)
Date: December 11, 2002 04:47AM

Alright, I guess now that I heard a bunch of my fellow t-bone compatriots are going to be in the area, I too was thinking of how to get there. Checking out JetBlue, I cant seem to find any flights to FT Meyers from JFK. A quick check on Amtrak and I realize why they are going under.. can someone suggest some alternate means of getting down there?

Date: December 11, 2002 08:37AM

It appears that the flights down to Ft. Myers around the dates of the tourney are all sold out. However, the return flights all have seats on the Dec 30th. That's a busy, busy week to travel.

Here's what I would suggest. Take American Airlines Flight #423 from JFK to Miami on December 27th. It gets you into Miami at 6:30pm-ish. Rent a car and drive to Estero. Then take Jet Blue Flight #64 on the return out of Ft. Myers on December 30th. Gets you back to JFK around 5:00pm or so. That way you only have to make the drive from Miami and not back to it. Renting a car and dropping it off at a different location is no big deal at all and doesn't cost extra (trust me, I do it allll the time for work). Also, despite what many have you believe, one-way tickets these days are really no more expensive than round trips.

Posted by: A-19 (---)
Date: December 15, 2002 08:13AM

does anyone know the ACTUAL gametimes? ticketmaster lists them as 4 or 7:30 ( i guess game 2 is undecided, i'm more concerned w the maine time), and cornell's schedule lists them as 5pm.

-mike

Posted by: schoaff (---)
Date: December 15, 2002 10:33AM

I'm looking at the tickets now and they say games are at 4:00 and 7:30.

- Peter

What a holiday tournament!
Posted by: cbuckser (---)
Date: December 17, 2002 12:16PM

For the second straight year, the Everblades College Classic--in only its third year of existence--features the strongest group of four teams of all the holiday tournaments in the country, in my opinion. This year's field is:

Maine (#2 USCHO, #1 USA Today, #2 RPI, #2 PWR, #2 KRACH)
Cornell (#3, #3, #1, #1, #1)
Ohio State (#11, #11, #5, #7, #7)
UMass (others receiving votes [#17 USCHO & #16 USA Today], #19 RPI, #20 PWR, #15 KRACH)

USCHO wrote that these teams "may be the toughest field of any of the holiday tournaments."

[www.uscollegehockey.com]

Posted by: jy3 (---)
Date: December 19, 2002 11:35PM

not to add to the confusion but....uscho on their schedule for next week notes that the game vs. maine is at 5 eastern uhoh

Posted by: RBL (---)
Date: December 22, 2002 09:43AM

how difficult is it to obtain tickets? (ie will it be possible day of the tourney)? do tix for both days need to be bought? how much are they charging?
who all is going?

Robin '98

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---)
Date: December 22, 2002 11:20AM

I was able to buy walk-up tickets two years ago; however, Everblades season ticket holders have had the tournament included, so there are fewer tickets for general sale than you might think. Each day has its own ticket, and face value is $14.

gametimes
Date: December 23, 2002 10:39AM

Laura Stange has kindly informed me that the Cornell-Maine game is scheduled for 7:30 pm EST on Saturday, December 28. As I write this message, USCHO's schedule correctly notes the 7:30 scheduled start time. The games the following day are scheduled for 4:00 and 7:30.

Re: gametimes
Posted by: RBL (---)
Date: December 23, 2002 02:43PM

is the OSU/ UMASS game before the Cornell game, then?

Re: gametimes
Date: December 23, 2002 03:25PM

Yes, Ohio State and U Mass will play at 4:00 pm. Finally, R.J. Umberger and Dave Steckel will play for OSU in the holiday tournament. They played at the WJC in 2000 and 2001.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login