Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Romano will not be back next year

Posted by calgARI '07 
Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Romano will not be back next year
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 03, 2007 04:55PM

His mother's a teacher, his father owns a telecoms company, and he's "not too into school"? Something is wrong there, but he certainly didn't belong in college. Maybe "me and my dad" spent too much time away from mom?crazy

Posted by: evilnaturedrobot (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 03, 2007 06:57PM

The Rancor
ursusminor
I didn't notice this recent article by Elliot Olshansky linked here yet: [slog.cstv.com].

This could have its own thread. "Romaaaaaano.... Sucks!"

Eh, more like: "Romano is deeply confused"

He doesn't like defense or class, so he comes to cornell?

He wants nothing more than to make it in the NHL, with the devils no less, and he goes to London so that he won't have to work on his obvious weeknesses?

I just feel bad for the kid, because I really don't think he's going about this the right way. It's fine to ditch school in favor of full time hockey if going to class wasn't his thing, but go to the WHL and learn to play both sides of the ice. I just don't see how running to the most offensive oriented team in all of junior hockey is going to help him.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2007 09:13PM by evilnaturedrobot.

Posted by: ftyuv (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: September 03, 2007 08:17PM

I'm sure he's heard all that before. I'm sure Schafer told it to him, probably in the same talks that Tony told him he's going to stay at Cornell. He's 19 years old -- that's old enough in my book where he has responsibility for his own decisions. If he wants to throw out good advice and take the path of least resistance, I don't feel sorry for him.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 04, 2007 07:15AM

It's easy, once you've been out of school for a couple years, to suspect that not every undergraduate makes decisions that prove to be the right ones years later. (Not that older adults make smart ones, too.) But was Romano's bad decision, if it was, to come to Cornell in the first place, or to leave after a year?

Maybe when Mike Schafer talked about opening up the offense, Romano missed the qualifier phrase "opening up the offense somewhat."

Maybe as Schafer attracts more, more highly talented players, there'll be more early flameouts. So we enjoy their prowess for a year, maybe two, and then start another Alumni in the Pros thread.

Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: September 04, 2007 11:46AM

I'd be very surprised if Romano went to London without anybody in his family talking - at least informally - to anybody in New Jersey. The best thing about Romano right now is his offensive ability. I can see NJ being a bit worried about his skills calcifying in Ithaca. I don't think Romano fit on the team any better than the team fit Romano's improvement. He will have to learn defense, but he'll be better off in a system where he can learn to play defense AND be allowed to hold the puck.

And if he can't hack school, he can't hack school. I'm not going to follow his trip up to the NHL but if he gets there I'm not going to root against him either.

Posted by: redice (---.usadatanet.net)
Date: September 04, 2007 12:05PM

ugarte
And if he can't hack school, he can't hack school. I'm not going to follow his trip up to the NHL but if he gets there I'm not going to root against him either.

If Cornell was too challenging, he should have chosen a school that he can "hack". He's unlikely to have an NHL career. And, won't make much money in the minor leagues of hockey. So someday, he's going to wish he had a college education.

Posted by: ftyuv (---.techtarget.com)
Date: September 04, 2007 01:32PM

redice
If Cornell was too challenging, he should have chosen a school that he can "hack".

[insert hotelie joke here]

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: September 04, 2007 01:45PM

ursusminor
I didn't notice this recent article by Elliot Olshansky linked here yet: [slog.cstv.com].
Yikes. It really does make one wonder: why, of all places, Cornell, then? "I don't care about school, I want to be in a total immersion hockey environment, and I don't like playing a defensive system."

There must be a thousand kids playing juniors who would say the same thing, and god bless em. But why come play in exactly the opposite enivronment? And why did Schafer bring him in? You gotta figure one of the first things we say to prospects is, you can't play if you don't forecheck, and you can't score if you don't play.

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: September 04, 2007 01:48PM

Trotsky
ursusminor
Yikes. It really does make one wonder: why, of all places, Cornell, then? "I don't care about school, I want to be in a total immersion hockey environment, and I don't like playing a defensive system."

There must be a thousand kids playing juniors who would say the same thing, and god bless em. But why come play in exactly the opposite enivronment? And why did Schafer bring him in? You gotta figure one of the first things we say to prospects is, you can't play if you don't forecheck, and you can't score if you don't play.

While he was at it, he should have added "I don't like snow, or hills...".

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Date: September 04, 2007 01:51PM

ftyuv
If he wants to throw out good advice and take the path of least resistance, I don't feel sorry for him.
Kent Manderville. He scoffed at Brian McCutcheon's advice to learn to play two-way, had to learn the same lessons over and over and over again at Olympic camp, then one day the lights came on and he wound up with a solid NHL career.

It's never too late to learn.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: September 04, 2007 02:46PM

Jim Hyla
His mother's a teacher, his father owns a telecoms company, and he's "not too into school"?
Given that background, I could imagine it having been the case that his parents pressured him into taking the college route rather than going to major junior, when he knew all along that he didn't have any interest in more schooling.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: September 05, 2007 09:55AM

ftyuv
redice
If Cornell was too challenging, he should have chosen a school that he can "hack".

Actually, I was thinking of a different joke:

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: September 05, 2007 03:54PM

jtwcornell91
ftyuv
redice

He's an Islander now, so that's not funny. innocent

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: September 12, 2007 12:30PM

Trotsky
jtwcornell91
ftyuv
redice

He's an Islander now, so that's not funny. innocent

As a Flyer fan, yes it is moon

Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login