Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell - Colgate Post Game Thread

Posted by ebilmes 
Cornell - Colgate Post Game Thread
Posted by: ebilmes (66.155.180.---)
Date: March 17, 2006 11:20PM

Just a solidly played game by Cornell. Great offensive chances the first half of the game. We killed some big penalties late in the third. McKee was superb. No complaints from me.

Bring on Hahvahd!

Re: Cornell - Colgate Post Game Thread
Posted by: Tom14850 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 17, 2006 11:29PM

Are the blue lines set to NHL size, or college size?

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 17, 2006 11:30PM

Tom14850
Are the blue lines set to NHL size, or college size?

I believe it is NHL since the Pepsi Arena is a pro venue (Albany River Rats)

Posted by: CU at Stanford (---.dsl.sntc01.pacbell.net)
Date: March 17, 2006 11:32PM

Four penalties in the 3rd period? We got lucky with a 2-0 score. If we played the last period on Saturday like we did today, we'd be in BIG trouble.

Asides from that, I agree, we played solid the first two periods. Very physical, very dominating. Like a championship team that we are capable of being.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.spr.choiceone.net)
Date: March 18, 2006 12:05AM

[q] Four penalties in the 3rd period?[/q]

The hooking with 5 minutes and the interference at the end were absolute BS.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.mis.prserv.net)
Date: March 18, 2006 12:28AM

I was sitting next to TimV. At the beginning of the third he said that there'd be a bunch of penalties called against us in the third, since we had several more PPs in the first two periods. Boy was he right!

Actually it was a frustrating game. We certainly outplayed Colgate, but as was the case all season, couldn't finish.

Posted by: las224 (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 18, 2006 12:38AM

I don't know about the "not finishing" comments. I'd attribute a lot of it to luck rather than skill deficiencies. For example: the fact that SO many blatantly obvious calls against Colgate didn't get made. Or the many post shots. Or the times when Dekanich clearly had no idea where the puck was or even that a shot was being taken, but happened to be in the way of it.

Either way, a fun game, and I'm looking forward to tomorrow night :) LET'S GO RED!

Posted by: schoaff (---.ga.at.cox.net)
Date: March 18, 2006 12:39AM

Just a little Trivia to throw out.

Cornell has shutout its last 4 ECAC Semifinal opponents. The last goal it allowed in the semis was over 241 minutes of hockey ago in the third period of the 2001 game against Harvard.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 18, 2006 12:50AM

Jordan 04

I think those were both legit calls. I can't think of a single penalty called against Cornell that wasn't legit, though the early interference (O'Byrne?) should have also had an offsetting diving call.

Edit: Also, I thought Colgate played a very clean, though hard hitting game. I didn't really think that there was much that should have been called against 'Gate that wasn't called. A well officiated game IMHO.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2006 12:51AM by ugarte.

Posted by: Tub(a) (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 18, 2006 12:58AM

ugarte
Jordan 04

I think those were both legit calls. I can't think of a single penalty called against Cornell that wasn't legit, though the early interference (O'Byrne?) should have also had an offsetting diving call.

Edit: Also, I thought Colgate played a very clean, though hard hitting game. I didn't really think that there was much that should have been called against 'Gate that wasn't called. A well officiated game IMHO.

Yes, the early holding deserved a matching Unsportsmanlike Conduct call.

Yes, the calls were legit. However, the ref seemed to put away the whistle in the third only to call two penalties at random points in time. Whatever. Cornell won.

Posted by: jaybert (24.97.21.---)
Date: March 18, 2006 01:30AM

weee....I'm drunk and at jillians posting on my phone.....LGR

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.rbccm.com)
Date: March 18, 2006 01:34AM

That was a pretty physical game - Colgate outhit us and we were pretty physical. Harvard gets more rest with the earlier game and with the blowout - their top players will be more rested.

BUT THE HELL WITH IT!! THEY'RE FRESH OUT OF GOALS!! We're going to win......

Moulson between periods said he saw the Lynah Middle East sign. Props to the sign dude.

Posted by: Will (---.tvc-ip.com)
Date: March 18, 2006 01:42AM

I had to, um, borrow Big Ben's classic cheer tonight and modified it a bit: "Hey Colgate, your three jerk fans called..." And man, were they jerks (the ones in the back of section 129), though, for some reason, they were nowhere to be found after the game. nut :-D

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.tvc-ip.com)
Date: March 18, 2006 01:43AM

Tub(a)
However, the ref seemed to put away the whistle in the third only to call two penalties at random points in time. Whatever. Cornell won.
It was John Murphy. That's what he does.

Posted by: mjc (---.ny5030.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 18, 2006 02:13AM

Were there any other good cheers?? I guess nothing can really top "Our team is sleeping..."

Posted by: trainbow (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 18, 2006 05:45AM

Any injury report?

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.mis.prserv.net)
Date: March 18, 2006 07:15AM

trainbow
Any injury report?

No obvious injuries. Everybody played who was expected to play.

A few players (Chris Abbot, Gleed, Glover) went off for a couple minutes and got looked at on the bench early in the third period, but all came back and played later in the game.

Re the penalty calls: I also think they were legit. My biggest knock was that there were plenty of earlier calls that could have been called (and could have gotten some players hurt), but weren't. Then they called some borderline calls late in a 1-0 game. Either let them play or call everything, but don't be erratic.

Here's an interesting one. Y'know how they do a profile on one of the seniors for each school in the program every year? Cornell's player this year? Louis Chabot. Good for him. :-)

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 18, 2006 09:20AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
... We certainly outplayed Colgate, but as was the case all season, couldn't finish.
Story of our life this season: lots of chances, not many goals to show for them. In comparison, Harvard pounced on every opportunity and got some lucky breaks. The first Harvard goal, the rebound bounces into the very perfect spot for a followup shot (that goes in) ... vs. Bitz (?) missing a wide open net from the right side in the third, and Moulson having an even wider open net in the third and a Colgate defender made a sweeping motion that deflected the shot aside while it was in mid-flight.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.tvc-ip.com)
Date: March 18, 2006 10:00AM

billhoward
Jeff Hopkins '82
...and Moulson having an even wider open net in the third and a Colgate defender made a sweeping motion that deflected the shot aside while it was in mid-flight.
That was a heck of a play by that Colgate guy.

Posted by: atb9 (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 18, 2006 12:05PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Here's an interesting one. Y'know how they do a profile on one of the seniors for each school in the program every year? Cornell's player this year? Louis Chabot. Good for him. :-)

Nice factoid. I'm really happy for him, he has played really well this year when he has been needed and he has looked really focused the times I have seen him practice. I can't say it was always like that.

I was sitting against the glass with a perfect view of the O'Byrne penalty and that seemed like a really weak call that almost lead to a Colgate goal. O'Byrne barely touched the front of the Colgate player's right shoulder and the kid fell like a bag of bricks. But the rest of the calls did seem legit, especially the Seminoff penalty which was a severe mental lapse.

Dartmouth was an embarrassment. Anyone want to teach them how to back-check? Cheering "it just doesn't matter" during the entire consolation game will be fun.

Posted by: RedAR (---.tvc-ip.com)
Date: March 18, 2006 12:09PM

As for a continuous droning cheer, how about "SeasonS over!"

Posted by: atb9 (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 18, 2006 12:22PM

atb9
Cheering "it just doesn't matter" during the entire consolation game will be fun.

BTW, Colgate beating Dartmouth in the consolation game helps our NCAA seeding.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 18, 2006 12:38PM

Actually for a Cornell squad that has moved away from holding and "clutching" we were sure doing a hell of a lot of holding against the boards last night.

There really wasn't much to complain about unless you make the argument that since they let a lot of that type of D go for most of the game that Murphy should be consistent and not call holding or interference at all.

I was impressed with Colgate's ability to get off quality shots and McKee was great in stopping those chances.

LGR!

Posted by: RedAR (---.tvc-ip.com)
Date: March 18, 2006 02:28PM

This is probably mentioned in the PWR threads, but I believe that if Michigan State, Colgate, Bentley, and Boston College win (as well as Cornell), then we end up #4 overall.

Posted by: Tub(a) (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 18, 2006 02:38PM

RedAR
This is probably mentioned in the PWR threads, but I believe that if Michigan State, Colgate, Bentley, and Boston College win (as well as Cornell), then we end up #4 overall.

Wouldn't that require an SCSU victory as well?

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 18, 2006 02:39PM

Adding my impressions:

1. Very physical but clean game. I haven't seen Colgate during the current era, but it's true as has been said that they are build along the same lines as the Big Red (just not quite as good as the original model ;-) ).

2. We get lots of chances, but I've never seen a team consistently miss the net as much as we do.

3. McKee was solid and confident. He looked a lot better than last weekend.

4. Even discounting his goal, Bitz was the strongest player on the ice. Dominated behind the Colgate goal, and had a number of excellent chances.

5. Our D (especially Krantz and Seminoff) frequently diddled around with the puck leading to turnovers and Colgate pressure. Unnerving. That being said, Krantz led a number of nice rushes.

6. We arrived at the arena with Harvard already leading 4-0. Hard to believe it only got worse from there.

7. Colgate seemed to pass up pretty good shots on the power play, looking for the perfect pass. Our penalty kill was great in any event, and Colgate was clearly frustrated.

8. Even though we had a nice power play goal, the power play simply does not move the puck very quickly, leading to a disproportionate number of blocked shots. Bitz' goal was during a rare opportunity right in the slot.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.sub-70-192-119.myvzw.com)
Date: March 18, 2006 02:42PM

RedAR

According to the info in the PWR threads, it takes all the games you mentioned, and then some. Also, there was one post that showed Bentley having to win, and another that showed Bentley having to lose in order for us to gain the 4th seed overall, so perhaps the HC-Bentley game isn't of consequence?

I guess we just need to win, and then let the chips fall where they may.
Andy W.

Posted by: Rich S (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 18, 2006 06:21PM

atb9
Jeff Hopkins '82

I was sitting against the glass with a perfect view of the O'Byrne penalty and that seemed like a really weak call that almost lead to a Colgate goal. O'Byrne barely touched the front of the Colgate player's right shoulder and the kid fell like a bag of bricks. But the rest of the calls did seem legit, especially the Seminoff penalty which was a severe mental lapse.

Dartmouth was an embarrassment. Anyone want to teach them how to back-check? Cheering "it just doesn't matter" during the entire consolation game will be fun.

Following the logic usually espoused here, Byrne must be a "goon." After all, he took a major penalty and got tossed last week for a hit on Dodge. Any opposing player who gets a major for a similar infraction is a "goon", so...?rolleyes

Sure, you could say that silly chant through the entire game. You'd do a good job looking and sounding foolish. Better you should save your energy for chants during the final game, I should think.

Posted by: DisplacedCornellian (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: March 18, 2006 06:28PM

Rich S

Following the logic usually espoused here, Byrne must be a "goon." After all, he took a major penalty and got tossed last week for a hit on Dodge. Any opposing player who gets a major for a similar infraction is a "goon", so...?rolleyes

Sure, you could say that silly chant through the entire game. You'd do a good job looking and sounding foolish. Better you should save your energy for chants during the final game, I should think.

Season's over *clap**clap* *clap**clap**clap* Season's over *clap**clap* *clap**clap**clap* nut

Posted by: schoaff (---.ga.at.cox.net)
Date: March 18, 2006 06:33PM

Rich S

Nope. All Cornell players are saints who never commit a penalty but are sometimes oppressed by referees who may be devious and unethical but are more likely simply fooled by the miscreants who play for the opposition. On occasion a Cornell player may slightly bend a rule but only to sacrifice themselves for the greater good; for instance when they can save a puppy from a burning house by gently cross checking an opponent into the boards.

Opposition players are goons of with low ethical standards who on rare occasion may earn grudging respect from the faithful if they somehow manage against all odds to suppress their base evil instincts.

It's simply a fundamental law upon which the firmament of the universe rests. It's futile to oppose it.

Now one of the great question of hockey theology is whether matriculating at Cornell makes a player a saint, or do all saints invariably matriculate at Cornell.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2006 06:33PM by schoaff.

Posted by: Bio '04 (---.rh.psu.edu)
Date: June 28, 2006 09:30PM

CSTV is replaying the Cornell-Colgate semifinal game this week, in case anyone wants to record it:
Wed 6/28 9:30 PM
Thu 6/29 9:30 AM
Thu 7/6 10:00 PM

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: June 29, 2006 11:08AM

Bio '04
CSTV is replaying the Cornell-Colgate semifinal game this week, in case anyone wants to record it:
Well, that's random. But i guess a college sports network doesn't have all that much original programming to play over the summer.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: June 29, 2006 04:37PM

Bio '04

The game is still on my TiVo, which is being mailed back to DirecTV soon. Sigh.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 30, 2006 01:16AM

jtwcornell91
Bio '04

???

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: June 30, 2006 08:13PM

jtwcornell91
Bio '04

Make a copy before you send it? :-)

I still haven't copied the regional loss at Minnesota..... help

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: July 03, 2006 08:54AM

marty
jtwcornell91
Bio '04

Make a copy before you send it? :-)

Too late; I'm already in Potsdam. (No, not that one; the one in Germany.)

I tried dumping things to my DVD burner, but my first experiment (filling a disc with cricket in 8-hour mode) caused the DVD burner to keel over, and I didn't get the replacement until I'd sold my TV.

Anyway, I imagine others have digital copies somewhere.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 03, 2006 02:31PM

jtwcornell91
I tried dumping things to my DVD burner, but my first experiment (filling a disc with cricket in 8-hour mode) caused the DVD burner to keel over, and I didn't get the replacement until I'd sold my TV.
See what happens when you watch cricket?

Posted by: RedFromLJ (---.san.res.rr.com)
Date: July 04, 2006 08:35PM

Speaking of Cricket...

We might learn a thing or two:

[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: Rita (---.ind.choiceone.net)
Date: July 06, 2006 05:51AM

jtwcornell91
marty
jtwcornell91
Bio '04

Bump for today. In case anyone else with a new DVR and direct TV subscription wants to record it. How soon to hockey season???

Posted by: ebilmes (---.37.77.234.adsl.snet.net)
Date: July 06, 2006 11:17AM

Would anyone planning on watching/taping it be willing to make an extra copy? I'd pay for cost of materials and shipping.

PM or whatnot.

Posted by: redhair34 (38.117.247.---)
Date: July 06, 2006 01:11PM

ebilmes
Would anyone planning on watching/taping it be willing to make an extra copy? I'd pay for cost of materials and shipping.

PM or whatnot.

Speaking of which, does anyone have an extra copy of the 2005 @ Colgate game when Iggulden scored the game winner with less than a minute left? I believe the game was only broadcast on TW26, so this request should probably be directed to those in the CNY area.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login