Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

New recruit...for Section B that is

Posted by sah67 
New recruit...for Section B that is
Posted by: sah67 (---.clarityconnect.net)
Date: April 30, 2007 12:23AM

Yeah, I know...Big Red Puckhead doesn't have her yet, but I hear she's being scouted intensively for inclusion in Section B next year.

Yoinked from the USCHO Forums

Caution: some mildly off-color language...but nothing anyone on here would mind ;)
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2007 12:23AM by sah67.

Re: New recruit...for Section B that is
Posted by: Doug '08 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: April 30, 2007 03:07PM

haha that was great

Posted by: peterg (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 30, 2007 07:50PM

Ah, youth hockey. Bringing out the best in parents...

How I miss those days.

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.cubley.clarkson.edu)
Date: April 30, 2007 08:09PM

peterg
Ah, youth hockey. Bringing out the best in parents...

How I miss those days.

I hope that woman sees the video... I honestly wonder if these parents know how stupid they sound when they do that.

As a referee, parents are the worst part of youth hockey. Players and Coaches can be dealt with because they understand when they cross the line they get a penalty, but at so many rinks, there is no way to stop parents like that who feel like it is a WWF show.

really is a shame...

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: April 30, 2007 08:17PM

The referees (and coaches) should have the authority to toss this type of parent out of the rink and the guts to use that authority.

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.cubley.clarkson.edu)
Date: April 30, 2007 08:31PM

KeithK
The referees (and coaches) should have the authority to toss this type of parent out of the rink and the guts to use that authority.

we have it, and alot of us use it. the biggest problem is that it really discourages young refs from staying with it. when you get your ass chewed off for blowing an offsides in a mite travel game, it really kills the will of most 13-15 year olds to be refs.

the other problem is parents who won't leave. Puts the ref in a tough spot, is it fair to penalize the coach? is it worth calling the police? where is the rink manager?

One effective strategy is to tell both coaches the game will continue when said parent(s) is/are removed and to take the puck and retire to either the penalty box or the refs room.

it should never come to that though, but it does.

Posted by: ryeguy (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 30, 2007 11:00PM

Imagine the young kids that are around in the stands as she is yelling this stuff. I'm sure someone stood up and told her to knock it off. The thing that was kind of weird was that she was yelling at her own kid and not a ref or another player. Why was she yelling at him? Was she scared it would make her look bad as a parent? HA! She did enough of that to make both of them look like scumbags. Still obviously very funny! Thanks for posting it here for us.

Still has nothing on when i played in a 'Peewee A' league in Ontario and the parents had a brawl in the lobby following a playoff game. rolleyes It is all just like the USA hockey commercials (I think it is USA hockey) that show how parents over-react to games. "Relax,it's just a game."
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2007 11:04PM by ryeguy.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 30, 2007 11:08PM

ryeguy
Imagine the young kids that are around in the stands as she is yelling this stuff. I'm sure someone stood up and told her to knock it off. The thing that was kind of weird was that she was yelling at her own kid and not a ref or another player. Why was she yelling at him? Was she scared it would make her look bad as a parent?

I thought she was yelling at the other kid who was getting into it with her kid.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 01, 2007 12:46AM

ryeguy
It is all just like the USA hockey commercials (I think it is USA hockey) that show how parents over-react to games. "Relax,it's just a game."

Both USA Hockey and Hockey Canada had it as a joint campaign. Actually well done, and a pretty amusing way to get the point across.

[www.usahockey.com]
[www.hockeycanada.ca]
[www.hockeycanada.ca]

Posted by: redice (---.usadatanet.net)
Date: May 01, 2007 05:50AM

This reminds me of some humor sent to me by a friend:

At one point during a game, the coach called one of his 9-year-old baseball players aside and asked, "Do you understand what cooperation is? What a team is?"

The little boy nodded in the affirmative.

"Do you understand that what matters is whether we win or lose together as a team?"

The little boy nodded yes.

"So," the coach continued, "I'm sure you know, when an out is called, you shouldn't argue, curse, attack the umpire, or call him a pecker-head. Do you understand all that?

Again the little boy nodded.

He continued, "And when I take you out of the game so another boy gets a chance to play, it's not good sportsmanship to call your coach 'a dumb ass' is it?"

Again the little boy nodded.

"Good," said the coach. "Now go over there and explain all that to your grandmother".

Date: May 01, 2007 11:58AM

To be honest, I think it would be better if parents didn't attend youth games generally. Kids would probably have more fun and feel less pressure if there wasn't an audience making a big deal out of it. If they weren't there the parents would have an easier time realizing that it's just a game.

Not being a parent, I can't really understand why you'd want to sit and watcha bunch of little kids playing a sports at a low level. Let 'em play and then ask 'em about it over dinner. Then go play catch or skate with your kid later. Better bonding than sitting in the stands.

Posted by: Jacob 03 (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 01, 2007 12:06PM

KeithK
To be honest, I think it would be better if parents didn't attend youth games generally. Kids would probably have more fun and feel less pressure if there wasn't an audience making a big deal out of it. If they weren't there the parents would have an easier time realizing that it's just a game.

Not being a parent, I can't really understand why you'd want to sit and watcha bunch of little kids playing a sports at a low level. Let 'em play and then ask 'em about it over dinner. Then go play catch or skate with your kid later. Better bonding than sitting in the stands.
Yeah, and why attend your kid's school play or orchestra concert or poetry reading or open house? After all, they shouldn't be doing all these things for someone else. They can just come home and tell their parents how it went.

Date: May 01, 2007 12:51PM

Jacob 03
Yeah, and why attend your kid's school play or orchestra concert or poetry reading or open house? After all, they shouldn't be doing all these things for someone else. They can just come home and tell their parents how it went.
For me, I see a difference between attending an isolated special event (whether concert, playoff game) and attending every last game. For instance, while I respect the hockey parents who drive hours and hours to catch every game at Lyanh, I think it's kind of crazy. I think it's a lot easier to lose perspective about a child's sporting event (it's just a game) when you're that invested in it.

Of course, I may feel differently if and when I am ever a parent myself.

To be honest I think there are probably too many hyper-organized activities for kids these days and not enough "go and play'.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.nrl.navy.mil)
Date: May 01, 2007 02:42PM

KeithK
Jacob 03
For me, I see a difference between attending an isolated special event (whether concert, playoff game) and attending every last game. For instance, while I respect the hockey parents who drive hours and hours to catch every game at Lyanh, I think it's kind of crazy. I think it's a lot easier to lose perspective about a child's sporting event (it's just a game) when you're that invested in it.

To be honest I think there are probably too many hyper-organized activities for kids these days and not enough "go and play'.
The parents of RPI's Jake Luthi who live in Alaska stopped working for the 06-07 year and rented a place near Troy so they could watch Jake's entire Senior year.

Attending kids' events
Posted by: cth95 (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: May 01, 2007 03:53PM

KeithK

I respectfully disagree 100% with you. I do not have kids yet, but I have a sister who is much younger than me whom I have watched swim, play hockey, and play piano and saxophone in school concerts. Even with my sister, I am very proud of her and like to just share in the moment. It is completely different seeing someone than just hearing about it when they come home. As much as they don't like to say it, I think most kids really do like to have their parents watch them. I know I would always look for my parents during all of the sports I played growing up, and I would be a little disappointed if I knew they were not going to be able to make it.

I think your argument comes from the minority of parents that grab so much attention acting like idiots or like every event is crucial to reaching the NHL or Carnegie Hall. I see a lot of parents at hockey games before some of my pick up skates, and the vast majority are happy to just watch and root for their kid and the other kids they know. Even if the level of talent sucks, it is still their kid. The parents also chat and socialize during these games, so it gives them a chance to hang out with the other parents as well.

Being able to share the experience of a game as players and spectators is bonding, because the parents and kids invariably talk about the game after. Beyond that, games often lead to a snack or dinner together on the way home. I think playing ball in the yard is great bonding, but I also think going to a child's games, concerts, plays, etc. is also great bonding. Frankly, the parents who never go to any of their kids events seem like they don't care, and rightly or wrongly, I know that their kids,the other kids, and the other parents all will get this impression.

Posted by: Rita (---.agry.purdue.edu)
Date: May 01, 2007 07:05PM

KeithK
Jacob 03

Well Keith, I also disagree with you with respect to parents watching their kids play. But I do agree with your point that their is not enough "just play" time for the kids today, and I think that is very much a product of the world we live in today. If I had kids, I can't say that I would trust them to go play at the neighborhood park unsupervised like we used to do as kids. I think part of the "hyper-organized activities" is to keep the kids busy and supervised (and give the parents that sense), especially in cases where both parents work.

Growing up my two brothers and I played sports, hockey, field hockey and soccer mainly, but a season or two in Little League baseball and basketball. I am extremely thankful that my parents were able to juggle their work schedules to take us to our games and practices and stayed to watch us play. They also coached several of our teams. With three kids playing I can only remember two or three times when one of my parents wasn't at my game. In fact, when I started playing ice hockey again in grad school, I was very happy when my parents would come watch me play; my Mom even came up to Toronto to watch us play in the Brampton Girls/Women's Tourney that is held every Easter :-). If I had a really good game, either for "real" or in pick-up, I would call home and tell my parents.

I am also fortunate that I had parents that were very supportive and did not scream and cause a scene. The other team parents were also very supportive towards everyone. I remember one squirt hockey game I was playing in the ref did not show and my Dad volunteered to ref the game. My dad was HORRIBLE and afterwards I told my Dad so using all the phrases I had learned at the New England Whaler games. Needless to say, that was the last time I talked to my Dad like that and learned a good lesson in sportsmanship (and respecting the refs and parents!). My brothers and I are very glad my parents took an interest in our activities growing up. My brother Gregg is doing the same with his kids and I hope one day to do the same with children of my own.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: May 01, 2007 07:31PM

KeithK
To be honest, I think it would be better if parents didn't attend youth games generally. Kids would probably have more fun and feel less pressure if there wasn't an audience making a big deal out of it.

Which reminds me once again how much fun I had playing sandlot baseball in the "pig farm" field next to my house... and how much I didn't like playing Little League games.

Posted by: Tom14850 (---.buffalo.res.rr.com)
Date: May 01, 2007 10:39PM

This just makes me sad. That poor child has extremely abusive parents. Not particularly funny.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 01, 2007 11:05PM

"Mildly off color language"?

Date: May 01, 2007 11:24PM

Parents should not feel obligated to attend their kids' games. And the kids shouldn't feel as if they're let down if mon and dad don't make all, or even half the games. Some parents can't just cut out of work at 3 pm twice a week.

If parents do go to the games, the kids belong to the coach for those two hours. Parents, shut the bleep up. No sidelines coaching as well as no yelling at the refs.

There are times when I do wish, now that it's getting warmer, and at least for us well-behaved parents, that the Mister Softee truck also served up frozen margaritas. I never want a drink as much as when I can't have one.

Posted by: sah67 (---.pac.mannlib.cornell.edu)
Date: May 02, 2007 10:31AM

billhoward
"Mildly off color language"?

Sure, compared to the way a lot of minds think around here. Did you see the discussion of "romance" in the Riley Nash thread? ;)

Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: May 02, 2007 10:56AM

Am I the only person who thinks that the players are closer to high school age and the screamer sounds like a girlfriend, not a mom?

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: May 02, 2007 11:23AM

ugarte
Am I the only person who thinks that the players are closer to high school age and the screamer sounds like a girlfriend, not a mom?

No. Girlfriend or sister. Neither her nor her friend sounds like a mom. Her friend at one point asks, "where's my boyfriend?" I don't know if she meant on the ice of in the stands.

Posted by: Drew (199.43.32.---)
Date: May 02, 2007 11:59AM

billhoward
Parents should not feel obligated to attend their kids' games. And the kids shouldn't feel as if they're let down if mon and dad don't make all, or even half the games. Some parents can't just cut out of work at 3 pm twice a week.
I agree Bill, parents and kids should not be obligated to show up at these events, however, I will share a personal experience with you folks.

I was a pretty good athlete, all state in two sports. My dad was an investment banker worked all the time, he may have seen me play three or four times tops. He suffered an anneurism at the age of 48, lying in critical condition before his operation said to me "Should have come to more of your ball games" I always thought it odd, that of the thousands of regrets that could run through your mind, that that was his regret.

That being said, I work on Wall St. as well, but deals be damned, I am out of here at 5:00 and at my son's 2nd grade little league game tonight.

NB
My dad recovered, hindsight being 20/20, attends almost all my softball games and hangs for a couple of beers after the game as well. Second chances don't always come around, choose wisely. Oh, and if you do show up don't be a jackass.:-D
Cheers!
Drew

Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: May 02, 2007 12:03PM

Drew
billhoward
I agree Bill, parents and kids should not be obligated to show up at these events, however, I will share a personal experience with you folks.

I was a pretty good athlete, all state in two sports. My dad was an investment banker worked all the time, he may have seen me play three or four times tops. He suffered an anneurism at the age of 48, lying in critical condition before his operation said to me "Should have come to more of your ball games" I always thought it odd, that of the thousands of regrets that could run through your mind, that that was his regret.

That being said, I work on Wall St. as well, but deals be damned, I am out of here at 5:00 and at my son's 2nd grade little league game tonight.

NB
My dad recovered, hindsight being 20/20, attends almost all my softball games and hangs for a couple of beers after the game as well. Second chances don't always come around, choose wisely. Oh, and if you do show up don't be a jackass.:-D
Cheers!
Drew

The cat's in the cradle and the silver spoon...

Date: May 02, 2007 12:22PM

Good for you for being able to see your kids' games. Having said that parents shouldn't feel obliged to attend all of their kids' games, I make it to at least half of our kids' games. I'm lucky: I work from the house more than the office and can kind of set working hours. The factory where my did worked didn't have the option to stop building widgets at 3 pm on game days. So that's a generational quality of life thing for those of us who had blue collar or chained-to-a-nursing-station parents.

Date: May 02, 2007 01:16PM

I guess it's just a personality thing. I play a lot of organized sports these days (softball mostly) and I really don't want to have people come and watch me (and I always find it a little odd when other guys bring spectators). I play for myself and my teammates and the personal satisfaction of doing well is enough. (Plus, having wives or girlfriends on hand detracts a little from the male bonding. :-) )

I guess the challenge for me if I'm ever a parent will be to figure out how much my kids are like me and how much they need the attention we're talking about here. I think there's a healthy balance somewhere in between centering your life on attending every one of your kid's games/events and never seeing a one.

Date: May 02, 2007 01:23PM

Rita
Well Keith, I also disagree with you with respect to parents watching their kids play. But I do agree with your point that their is not enough "just play" time for the kids today, and I think that is very much a product of the world we live in today. If I had kids, I can't say that I would trust them to go play at the neighborhood park unsupervised like we used to do as kids. I think part of the "hyper-organized activities" is to keep the kids busy and supervised (and give the parents that sense), especially in cases where both parents work.
This is one of the big problems today's society with respect to raising kids. I played on the street or in the schoolyard unsupervised. This is while growing up in NYC in the late 70's and 80's. I guarantee that the city is a lot safer today than it was back then. I think most places are at least as safe or safer now than they were 20 years ago, 24 news channel's reports of child abduction motwithstanding. There is no good reason why you couldn't let your kid play outside unsupervised today. Let them run around and be kids. You'll end up with healthier, happier children (IMO) and be happier parents too because you're not always sheperding them to events and supervising.

Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (---.z3-88-67.customer.algx.net)
Date: May 02, 2007 05:18PM

This reminds me of an incident when I was a youth hockey coach. I think I was a junior in HS at this point, and there was a mother of a kid I coached who just hated me, my coaching style, the fact that I didn't let her son take every faceoff & that I tossed her son in the box every time he clocked another kid over the head with his stick (which was a lot). She just hated me, and trashed me to all the other parents every chance she got; but she was very passive- aggressive to my face and phrased everything she was saying to me as simple, nice, pleasant constructive criticism. So one day, I'm leading practice early in the morning up at The Rink in Lansing, and she spots a new person in the stands to complain about me to. She sits down next to him and just shoots off her mouth. Finally after about 15 minutes my grandfather had enough of her complaints, identified himself and told her he thought I was a good coach. She became very quiet and later that night I got a call from the league president saying she transferred her son to a different team. Boy was I glad to be rid of her. That woman was the epitome of a bad youth sports parent.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2007 07:53PM by Ben Rocky '04.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: May 02, 2007 05:26PM

KeithK
Rita
This is one of the big problems today's society with respect to raising kids. I played on the street or in the schoolyard unsupervised. This is while growing up in NYC in the late 70's and 80's. I guarantee that the city is a lot safer today than it was back then. I think most places are at least as safe or safer now than they were 20 years ago, 24 news channel's reports of child abduction motwithstanding. There is no good reason why you couldn't let your kid play outside unsupervised today. Let them run around and be kids. You'll end up with healthier, happier children (IMO) and be happier parents too because you're not always sheperding them to events and supervising.

Totally agree. There are places where you can live and still feel safe about letting your kids out. One of the nicest things about my daughter's younger years was watching her run out the back door to my neighbor's house. If the back door was open it meant she could just open it and yell hello, and ask if their grandson could come out to play. Then they would run out to the triangle out front to play kick ball or such.

I also think that the worry factor is much greater today, for just the reasons that you stated. I'm glad my parents didn't worry so much as to not let me have the freedom to play and make up my own games.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login