Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

CHA Banquet

Posted by ACM 
CHA Banquet
Posted by: ACM (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 16, 2007 07:59PM

Surprised nobody has mentioned this yet, but ...

The 46th annual Cornell Hockey Association banquet took place Saturday night (4/14) at the Lake Watch Inn.

Award winners were:

Eva Ames Award (not mentioned in the program, but presented to someone concerned with the health and well-being of the players, or something like that): Dr. David Wentzel

CHA Lifetime Membership Award: Nevin D. Harkness, who apparently had something to do with the program back in the 60's

Wendell and Francelia Award for Outstanding Academic Achievement (team members from each class who have achieved the highest cumulative GPA): Evan Salmela (senior), Chris Fontas (junior), Dan DiLeo (soph). [Freshman to be chosen after spring semester grades are in.]

Bill Doran Sportsmanship Award (the player combining all of the best attributes that mean sportsmanship, both on and off the ice, as well as being an excellent, competitive player), and Joe DeLibero/Stan Tsapis Award (the player who most nearly exemplifies the skilled efficiency, unselfish dedication, and hard-nosed competitive application that distinguishes him as representative of Joe De Libero's and Stan Tsapis's uniqueness): Topher Scott

Cornell Hockey Association Award (the player whose contribution to the team is not apparent in the box scores; his efforts are more clearly measured in enthusiasm, dedication, desire, and unselfish willingness to give the team an extra ounce of energy): Tyler Mugford

Sam Woodside Award (the senior player who has most improved in overall playing ability and has exhibited team leadership with his play during his career): Mark McCutcheon

Mark Weiss Memorial Award (the player who most exemplified from his rookie year through his senior year the same kind of determination and passion the outstanding young athlete, Mark Weiss, had for life and the sport of hockey), and Ironman Award (the team member who, in spite of being bruised, broken, spliced, or otherwise hurt, most demonstrated the will and determination to overcome his injuries and contribute to the team): Byron Bitz

Crimson Cup (the player whose contribution to the team was outstanding during the season series against Harvard): Michael Kennedy

Greg Ratushny Award (the freshman player who best exhibits enthusiasm for both the team and Cornell University, camaraderie with his teammates and fellow students, and promise for the future): Colin Greening

Nicky Bawlf Award (the most valuable player, as determined by the vote of his teammates): Mitch Carefoot

All awards (not just Nicky Bawlf) chosen by team vote.

Captains have not yet been chosen.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2007 08:03PM by ACM.

Re: CHA Banquet
Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.dhcp.psdn.ca.charter.com)
Date: April 16, 2007 09:18PM

Topher is the obvious choice for the C, I wonder who will get the Assistant(s). My guess would be Seminoff although he will only be a junior.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 16, 2007 09:26PM

How Seminoff didn't get an award is truly remarkable. He played in the playoffs with MONO. If that isn't worthy of "ironman" status, I don't know what is.

I would have Seminoff as captain next year with Sawada and Scot as assistants. It'll probably be Scott as captain with Sawada and Krantz as assistants though. Outside shots for Kennedy over Sawada and Seminoff over Krantz.

Posted by: ebilmes (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: April 16, 2007 09:26PM

Jacob '06
Topher is the obvious choice for the C, I wonder who will get the Assistant(s). My guess would be Seminoff although he will only be a junior.

Krantz or Sawada would also be good candidates.

Posted by: redhair34 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: April 16, 2007 09:30PM

calgARI '07
How Seminoff didn't get an award is truly remarkable. He played in the playoffs with MONO. If that isn't worthy of "ironman" status, I don't know what is.

I would have Seminoff as captain next year with Sawada and Scot as assistants. It'll probably be Scott as captain with Sawada and Krantz as assistants though. Outside shots for Kennedy over Sawada and Seminoff over Krantz.

Agreed.

Posted by: Doug '08 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: April 16, 2007 10:58PM

I think we will see Topher with the C, Seminoff and Sawada as assistants. That being said I think Krantz would be a good choice as well.

Posted by: sah67 (---.clarityconnect.net)
Date: April 16, 2007 11:52PM

Does it not have to be a senior wearing the C? I think Topher's the obvious choice as well, but isn't Seminoff only eligible for an "A" because he's a junior?

Posted by: redhair34 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: April 16, 2007 11:53PM

sah67
Does it not have to be a senior wearing the C? I think Topher's the obvious choice as well, but isn't Seminoff only eligible for an "A" because he's a junior?

The fact that Seminoff is a junior shouldn't necessarily preclude him from being captain. Bâby was captain for 2 seasons.

Posted by: sah67 (---.clarityconnect.net)
Date: April 17, 2007 12:42AM

redhair34
sah67

The fact that Seminoff is a junior shouldn't necessarily preclude him from being captain. Bâby was captain for 2 seasons.

Ah right, thanks for reminding me of that. In that case, I can still see Topher getting the nod for Captain, but Seminoff would be just as deserving IMO.

Posted by: Roy 82 (---.SRI.COM)
Date: April 17, 2007 03:10AM

This would be a good time for the annual "What is the Cornell Hockey Association?" question.

Seriously. They appear to be a booster club that sponsors many team related events but they operate clandestinely (or is it covertly?) for the most part with no detectable web presence. I wonder who they are and what their mission is. Is this an organization that I might join as a long-distance supporter of hockey?

A search on elynah revealed similar questions about the CHA over the years with non-definitive answers. The CHA web links are dead.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: April 17, 2007 05:29AM

It's what you have to join to get Section C tickets?

Seriously, though, they do email me a PDF of FACEOFF once a month. The return address is thecha@cornell.edu

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: ursusminor (---.nrl.navy.mil)
Date: April 17, 2007 05:41AM

Did the CHA give all of those awards to Cornell players to entice them to join their league? rolleyes

Posted by: redice (---.usadatanet.net)
Date: April 17, 2007 07:36AM

With all of this speculation about team captains for next year, does anyone know the potential captains well enough to have a feel for their leadership potential? Leadership is one of the things that the 2006-07 team seemed to be lacking. To me, leadership is more important than statistical analysis of the player(s).

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: April 17, 2007 08:49AM

Roy 82
This would be a good time for the annual "What is the Cornell Hockey Association?" question.

Seriously. They appear to be a booster club that sponsors many team related events but they operate clandestinely (or is it covertly?) for the most part with no detectable web presence. I wonder who they are and what their mission is. Is this an organization that I might join as a long-distance supporter of hockey?

A search on elynah revealed similar questions about the CHA over the years with non-definitive answers. The CHA web links are dead.
The CHA appears to be a group of 13 men and women at least 75 years old who have secret handshakes and hang out with the players' grand parents.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: April 17, 2007 11:05AM

ACM
Wendell and Francelia Award for Outstanding Academic Achievement (team members from each class who have achieved the highest cumulative GPA): Chris Fontas (junior)
Sounds like a good reason to transfer from Lowell.

Posted by: RichH (216.195.201.---)
Date: April 17, 2007 04:59PM

redice
To me, leadership is more important than statistical analysis of the player(s).

And David Eckstein is gritty, scrappy, and knows how to win.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: April 17, 2007 05:07PM

RichH
redice

You mean Dirtgrit McHustlewin?

(Sorry, OT.)

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: April 17, 2007 05:52PM

RichH
redice

When choosing a captain, a leader for the team, leadership qualities are more important than the players stats. As long as the guys numbers are good enough to keep him in the lineup.

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: April 17, 2007 07:26PM

ACM
Nicky Bawlf Award (the most valuable player, as determined by the vote of his teammates): Mitch Carefoot

This makes me happy :)

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 17, 2007 07:33PM

Roy 82

Actually, you're close to correct. But they operate out in the open, nothing secret. They used to be known as the Cornell Hockey Boosters Assoc.. I believe the name was changed to better fit in with the other "booster" groups, such as CFA (football). They do alot, both for fans and the team. Not only do they do the end of the year dinner, but a welcome picnic in the fall and other events.

At each home game they have a hospitality room with soda and food, and a place to mingle in between periods. After most Sat games they have a post-game reception with food for the team and fans. They also do fundraisers, such as the 50-50 raffle. The monies generated go back to the program in many ways. Some of you remember that they started a discussion about All-Access as they were going to contribute to its cost and held up that till the Athletic Dept discussed the problems.

For away games they organize bus trips and hotels for traveling fans.

There are many other things they are involved with and yes it's a great way to express your support. Some members give $100s of dollars each year to help out in ways that the AD can't. If you're at a game and are interested in more info, you can ask Sue Detzer, I think she's the permanent treasuer or such.

Posted by: Roy 82 (---.SRI.COM)
Date: April 17, 2007 10:08PM

Thanks for the info Jim.

I was being a bit snide, but these days, having no website is tantamount to being a clandestine organization.

It sounds like joining or donating through (or to) them might be a good way to support the team but I am lazy and if they make me type an entire e-mail or do more than a few clicks then that is too much effort.coffee

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: April 17, 2007 10:21PM

Roy 82
It sounds like joining or donating through (or to) them might be a good way to support the team but I am lazy and if they make me type an entire e-mail or do more than a few clicks then that is too much effort.coffee

Well, it's also not the only way to support the team. In fact you can support the team and get a tax deduction for it if you just make a straight gift to Cornell directed to the team. You'd go to [www.alumni.cornell.edu] and select "Athletics and Physical Education" for designation, then enter "men's hockey" under other gift designation.

The money still goes to the team, and it's not many clicks. You just won't get any of the benefits the CHA offers for paid membership, like two free Cornell hockey pins every year, or the right to buy Section C or Section N season tickets (or get on the waiting list to do so), or a discount at the post-game "afterglow" dinners.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: April 17, 2007 10:22PM

Liz '05
ACM

This makes me happy :)
Want a carrot, puck bunny? burnout

Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: April 18, 2007 10:05AM

Beeeej
Roy 82

Well, it's also not the only way to support the team. In fact you can support the team and get a tax deduction for it if you just make a straight gift to Cornell directed to the team. You'd go to [www.alumni.cornell.edu] and select "Athletics and Physical Education" for designation, then enter "men's hockey" under other gift designation.
And if you want to support Cornell Athletics - without directly supporting the not-particularly-underfunded Cornell Athletics - designate the money for the pep band.

Giving to pep band: It's not just for bandies anymore.

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.wlan.clarkson.edu)
Date: April 18, 2007 11:15AM

ugarte
Beeeej
Roy 82

And if you want to support Cornell Athletics - without directly supporting the not-particularly-underfunded Cornell Athletics - designate the money for the pep band.

Giving to pep band: It's not just for bandies anymore.

please direct all pep band donations Here!

Posted by: Robb (12.46.32.---)
Date: April 18, 2007 12:44PM

Dpperk29

screwy

Not sure what you're getting at here? Is there some sort of link between the Cornell Pep Band and Morris that I'm missing?

Posted by: Dpperk29 (128.153.201.---)
Date: April 18, 2007 12:46PM

Robb
Dpperk29

screwy

Not sure what you're getting at here? Is there some sort of link between the Cornell Pep Band and Morris that I'm missing?[/qoute]

ugarte never specified the cornell pepband... well... at least not directly the cornell pep band

Posted by: Chris '03 (137.99.117.---)
Date: April 18, 2007 12:51PM

Dpperk29
Robb
Dpperk29

screwy

Not sure what you're getting at here? Is there some sort of link between the Cornell Pep Band and Morris that I'm missing?[/qoute]

ugarte never specified the cornell pepband... well... at least not directly the cornell pep band

You seem to be missing the joke here.

In the meantime, there's been a Mark Morris reference... paging RichS. popcorn

Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: April 18, 2007 04:37PM

Robb
Dpperk29

screwy

Not sure what you're getting at here? Is there some sort of link between the Cornell Pep Band and Morris that I'm missing?
I get the sense that a gremlin edited dpperk's link. Crafty, that gremlin.

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.cubley.clarkson.edu)
Date: April 18, 2007 05:36PM

strangly a gremlin did edit my link... it should read [people.clarkson.edu]

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: April 18, 2007 06:35PM

Dpperk29
strangly a gremlin did edit my link... it should read [en.wikipedia.org]

Oh, that makes more sense.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Cantab Captain(s!)
Posted by: Chris '03 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: April 20, 2007 12:44PM

Speaking of captains, this is a few days old but it's interesting to note that Harvard will skate co-captains (MacDonald & Taylor) for the first time in 28 years and fourth time in their history next season.

[www.gocrimson.com]

Re: Cantab two sport hockey player
Posted by: MINIteam8s (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 20, 2007 07:41PM

From the same article -

"(Senior Brendan) Byrne (was) unable to attend (the annual awards banquet) due to games for the Harvard baseball team"

Date: April 20, 2007 07:52PM

MINIteam8s
From the same article -

"(Senior Brendan) Byrne (was) unable to attend (the annual awards banquet) due to games for the Harvard baseball team"

For the same reason, Milo was not at the Cornell thing.

Posted by: MINIteam8s (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 20, 2007 08:10PM

Hockey + baseball = 2 sports allowed

It looks like he's the captain as well.

Date: April 20, 2007 08:39PM

Both Dominic and Steve Moore played tennis at Harvard and were really good.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login