Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Riley Nash commits to Cornell

Posted by pfibiger 
Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Riley Nash commits to Cornell
Posted by: pfibiger (---.br1.glv.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 03, 2007 09:19AM

just noticed it on Heisenberg's recruiting site, and then saw that Puckhead has it as well:

[bigredpuckhead.blogspot.com]

That instantly ups the quality of the recruiting class tremendously. He is a huge get for Cornell, a definite blue chipper. He was the BCHL interior rookie of the year, Salmon Arm's rookie of the year, leading scorer, and team MVP.

Re: Riley Nash commits to Cornell
Posted by: The Rancor (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: April 03, 2007 09:27AM

wow! and not even posted on april 1st!!!

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 03, 2007 09:27AM

The biggest recruiting win of the Schafer-era. This guy will add another dimension to Cornell hockey and have a Doug Murray impact on the team.

Date: April 03, 2007 09:29AM

The 2007-08 Big Red will now have 2 Davenports (unrelated), 2 Kennedys, 2 Nashes, and 2 Devins. How far back in hockey history do we have to go to find a team with three sets of brothers on it?

Posted by: ftyuv (---.techtarget.com)
Date: April 03, 2007 09:39AM

T minus how long until we get the "NEXT YEAR'S FRESHMEN ARE OVERRATED!" thread? ;-) But in seriousness, from what I've read from my various unbiased sources (read: ELF, ELF and more ELF), this is great news. Let's go Red!

Posted by: redhair34 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: April 03, 2007 10:15AM

This is the best Cornell hockey news I've heard in a long, LONG time.

I'll repost this article for those who didn't read it when it first came out.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: April 03, 2007 10:19AM

calgARI '07
have a Doug Murray impact on the team.

But can he hit the net? I kid. I kid.

Seems silly to be pondering this hours from his committing, but if he's as good as he seems to be, I wonder how long he'll stick around.

Date: April 03, 2007 10:27AM

CowbellGuy

Seems silly to be pondering this hours from his committing, but if he's as good as he seems to be, I wonder how long he'll stick around.

I've thought the same thing, but I sort of imagine we'll get 2 years out of him, at least, and I think they'll be two valuable years.

I was looking at his stats for 05-06 and 06-07, and he played in exactly the same # of games, and scored almost exactly the same # of goals and points, moving from midget major to one of the best Jr. A leagues in north america. Clearly he's able to elevate his game to match the level of play, which I think bodes well for his transition to D1 hockey.

Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: April 03, 2007 10:49AM

CowbellGuy
If his flame doesn't last it is only because he shone brightly while he was here.

Date: April 03, 2007 10:54AM

Can you say "It's not a scholarship"?

Oh, and before I forget, Suck it, Denver!

Posted by: mtmack25 (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 03, 2007 11:03AM

Does anyone else not see it on Heisenberg's blog, or am I missing something? Please tell me I'm missing something.

http://hockeyrecruits.blogspot.com/

Date: April 03, 2007 11:06AM

mtmack25
Does anyone else not see it on Heisenberg's blog, or am I missing something? Please tell me I'm missing something.

http://hockeyrecruits.blogspot.com/

He rarely updates that blog. It's on his regular recruiting site which is now unavailable.

[members.aol.com]

Date: April 03, 2007 11:08AM

redhair34

He rarely updates that blog. It's on his regular recruiting site which is now unavailable.

[members.aol.com]

Oh, good. Of course his aol website has reached its bandwidth cap. Can't you people control yourselves?

Date: April 03, 2007 11:14AM

CowbellGuy
calgARI '07

I think a lot of it will depend on when he's drafted.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: April 03, 2007 11:20AM

redhair34
CowbellGuy
calgARI '07

For such a highly-recruited player, he's fairly low in the CSB rankings, #99 among North American skaters (a few spots ahead of Brendon).

Posted by: ebilmes (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: April 03, 2007 11:21AM

banana I just got a lot more excited for the next couple years.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hortonpv.ul.warwick.net)
Date: April 03, 2007 11:22AM

Uplifting news for the program.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: April 03, 2007 11:24AM

ugarte
CowbellGuy
If his flame doesn't last it is only because he shone brightly while he was here.

The question then will be, did the team's flame shine as brightly? If the team shines brightly and he doesn't last that long (ala: LeNeveu), fine. If he's the best on a 'eh' team (ala: Nieuwendyk), not so great (ok, maybe a bad example, we did win the '86 ECAC title, but you get the point).

Its also a question if he'd leave early due to current skill or due to potential - ala: O'Byrne (we beat out Maine to get him) and Sasha - who were quite good but were pulled before they'd really had a chance to shine at the collegiate level.

No matter what though, its a great win. The only question is whether it'll be good, very good, or great. That's a choice I'm happy to watch play out.

Meanwhile, love the attitude from the article that redhair posted.

"I’d describe [my style] as more of a playmaker," says Nash. "I like to set up my wingers more often than score, but lately it’s been a little bit different. I’ve been scoring more goals and not really setting my wingers up as much. Hopefully I can get things going again soon."

He needs to 'get things going again' cause he's been scoring too much! :)

Its not on the blog, but its on his recruits page (which is currently over-bandwidth, but here's the cache.

[72.14.209.104]

And its also here:
[bigredpuckhead.blogspot.com]

Date: April 03, 2007 11:25AM

Josh '99
redhair34
CowbellGuy
calgARI '07

For such a highly-recruited player, he's fairly low in the CSB rankings, #99 among North American skaters (a few spots ahead of Brendon).

I was told that although the CSB midterm rankings are released sometime around the first of the year, they are pretty much put together in November. Riley's stock has risen significantly since then. So, I expect when the final rankings come out he will be better than 99th.

Posted by: oceanst41 (---.uml.edu)
Date: April 03, 2007 11:41AM

Great news! Now the offseason will just fly by. ;-)

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.ilr.cornell.edu)
Date: April 03, 2007 11:48AM

I think it is very realistic to expect Nash to go in the first round which will pretty much seal his fate as being at Cornell for no more than two years. As was mentioned, his stock has skyrocketed since the mid-term rankings came out which makes it all the more surprising that he didn't go the WHL route as many had speculated.

I think that the worst case scenario for Nash based on what I know of him as a player from reliable sources is that he turns out to be another Shane Hynes (who coincidentally chose Cornell over Denver). That is worst case. Best case is that he is the best Cornell forward since Nieuwendyk. He has tremendous upside in all facets of the game and will arguably be the top freshman next season after Turris who will be a top five pick in June.

This guy will be the difference between Cornell being a second tier program and a legitimate contender.

Posted by: Rita (---.agry.purdue.edu)
Date: April 03, 2007 11:48AM

CowbellGuy
calgARI '07

From the subsequent posts it sounds like it... granted it is the back of the net, but it is with a puck! banana

Gee, and I thought yesterday, opening day for baseball, was the day that all hope springs eternal, even for Royal's fans (who, unfortunately, still have hope for another few days :-/).

Posted by: bothman (---.allfirst.com)
Date: April 03, 2007 11:53AM

I think you are right. It all depends on where he is drafted and by whom. Noah Welch was a 2nd rounder and stayed all 4 years.

The one disadvantage that Cornell or any Ivy team has is that it plays in a weak league and it does not play as many games as the other NCAA teams.

If I am a NHL GM, do I want my 1st-3rd rounder playing 30 games a season or 60?

Great pickup for Cornell and congrats. It raises the profile of the league which is always a good and much needed thing.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.cmbrmaks.akamai.com)
Date: April 03, 2007 11:53AM

Great news.

But now I think I'll go back into hibernation until October.

Zzzzzzzzzz.....

Kyle

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: April 03, 2007 11:57AM

This is major.

Nice to be able to smile about hockey as well as lacrosse.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: April 03, 2007 12:35PM

Way to step up, financial aid office! (I'm assuming...)

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: April 03, 2007 12:40PM

Wow. Enormous. And we might not be done.

Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (129.2.170.---)
Date: April 03, 2007 12:56PM

ftyuv
But in seriousness, from what I've read from my various unbiased sources (read: ELF, ELF and more ELF), this is great news. Let's go Red!

We report, we decide!

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: April 03, 2007 01:28PM

And it's a tree syllable name: RI-LEY NASH! RI-LEY NASH!

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: ithacat (128.253.193.---)
Date: April 03, 2007 01:32PM

Trotsky
Wow. Enormous. And we might not be done.

I suspect we'll find out soon...

One of things that's very encouraging about Nash is how he seemed to really pick up his game after Ben Winnett got hurt. It sounds like he played better as the year went on and as more was expected of him.

I bet Ari's working on line combinations...

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.ilr.cornell.edu)
Date: April 03, 2007 02:42PM

redhair34

I was told that although the CSB midterm rankings are released sometime around the first of the year, they are pretty much put together in November. Riley's stock has risen significantly since then. So, I expect when the final rankings come out he will be better than 99th.

Even though Turris is ranked very high, highly-regarded players from Junior A don't usually get high rankings because it is tougher for scouts to forecast where they will end up when they are playing at such a low level.

Recently, some players have gotten drafted high out of Junior A with Okposo last season and Zajac/Chucko in 04 and Turris will be a top five pick this year. Again, it's just harder for scouts to pinpoint where Junior A guys will end up because they playing at such a low level. Chucko for example put up a ton of points in the BCHL and Calgary took him first round but he looks to be a bust. At the same time, Zajac, who played on the same team and also put up monster points is already in the NHL and producing pretty nicely.

That all being said, I expect Nash to go in the first 60 and is a good candidate to go in the first round. NHL teams love players who improve dramatically in their draft year regardless of what league they are in. This year is a particuarly weak draft which could boost his stock even more.

Posted by: evilnaturedrobot (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 03, 2007 03:55PM

ithacat
I bet Ari's working on line combinations...

you meen you're not? I couldn't resist the temptation to do so as I walked to class this morning. Right now I've got Nash taking Bitz's place between Sawada and Greening, though I think it might be a good idea to put someone more skilled on his left wing. Milo? Gallagher? It would be tempting to put Romano there, but I think Tony would be best suited on a line where he is the focal point of the offense...but I digress. burnout

calgARI '07
Recently, some players have gotten drafted high out of Junior A with Okposo last season and Zajac/Chucko in 04 and Turris will be a top five pick this year. Again, it's just harder for scouts to pinpoint where Junior A guys will end up because they playing at such a low level. Chucko for example put up a ton of points in the BCHL and Calgary took him first round but he looks to be a bust. At the same time, Zajac, who played on the same team and also put up monster points is already in the NHL and producing pretty nicely.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Salmon Arm's coach compare Nash to Zajac at the same age? (Zajac also played for Salmon Arm) That's pretty lofty company to be in, if the comparison is apt.

I believe the word on this year's draft is that it's deep but lacking in in the top tier. Picks 10 through 60 are suposed to have a pretty negligiable differance in talent. This probably meens that we'll see some wildly differant draft boards, and it only takes one team to have a high rating on a player and pick him higher than expected (see: Wheeler, Blake, Jessiman, Hughbang and,a bit closer to home, Pokulok, Sasha.)
Personally, I'm holding out hope that my Rangers will finally pick a Cornellian and snag him in the second, but with my luck Lou will take him in the late 20's and I'll get to see Riley and and Romano skating circles around Marek Malik for the next 10 years.
Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2007 04:00PM by evilnaturedrobot.

Date: April 03, 2007 03:59PM

evilnaturedrobot
[I'm holding out hope that my Rangers will finally pick a Cornellian and snag him in the second, but with my luck Lou will take him in the late 20's and I'll get to see Riley and and Romano skating circles around Marek Malik for the next 10 years.
Hey, at least the Rangers have drafted a Cornellian in their history. Still waiting on the first Islander.

Date: April 03, 2007 04:13PM

evilnaturedrobot

you meen you're not? I couldn't resist the temptation to do so as I walked to class this morning. Right now I've got Nash taking Bitz's place between Sawada and Greening, though I think it might be a good idea to put someone more skilled on his left wing. Milo? Gallagher? It would be tempting to put Romano there, but I think Tony would be best suited on a line where he is the focal point of the offense...but I digress. burnout

Nash plays some center but more on the right wing which where I expect him to play next season. There will be a couple openings there with both Carefoot and McCutcheon graduating.

Date: April 03, 2007 04:16PM

really? I'd heard that he was primarily a center, I guess that's not true. Shame really, this team is awash in wingers, But with the exception of Topher, I don't see much in the way of skilled centermen.

Date: April 03, 2007 04:23PM

Yeah, and it sucks that Blake Gallagher only wins about 80% of his faceoffs.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 03, 2007 04:26PM

ugarte

Nice turn of phrase in a sport whose big tent also embraces Don Cherry. You were an English major with a minor in Haiku? Or was somebody humming Elton John and Candle in the Wind in a public place and try as hard as you could to dislodge Sir Elton, "Your candle's burned out long before your legend ever will" was wedged in too tight?

Date: April 03, 2007 04:28PM

evilnaturedrobot
really? I'd heard that he was primarily a center, I guess that's not true. Shame really, this team is awash in wingers, But with the exception of Topher, I don't see much in the way of skilled centermen.

I would say Gallagher has exceptional upside and in some ways is more dynamic than Scott. The last month of the season, Gallagher was the team's best offensive player after Greening. Kennedy is underrated offensively as well. I think they are in pretty good shape down the middle with Fontas coming in at the fourth spot. Nash could very well play center but I think he's a better fit on the wing and I like the four centers they are set to have.

Date: April 03, 2007 04:36PM

mtmack25
Yeah, and it sucks that Blake Gallagher only wins about 80% of his faceoffs.

The ability to win faceoffs has absolutely nothing to do with playing the Center position. Anyone on a line can take a faceoff, it doesn't matter if they're on the wing or in the middle.

I agree on Galagher's upside, but with his speed and shot (I see him as much more of a shooter than a playmaker) I like him better on the wing, prefferably the left side to giv him a better shotting angle.

I love what Kennedy has done centering the checking line, but I'm going to have to see more offense from him before I start considering him a canidate for a scoring line role.

In the end, they've got alot of skill upfront and that's what mattermost, but I think the skillsets of most of this teams forwards work better on the wings than they do in the middle, but I could easily be wrong.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: April 03, 2007 04:59PM

French Rage

Is that accent Irish or Newfie?

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: April 03, 2007 05:44PM

jtwcornell91
French Rage

Is that accent Irish or Newfie?

[insert jerk/typical loop here]

Posted by: Doug '08 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: April 03, 2007 07:22PM

I saw him on campus the other week so was cautiously optimistic he would commit here. What a great recruiting victory… can’t wait to see him on the ice.

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: April 03, 2007 08:08PM

Fantastic news! :)

Posted by: Roy 82 (---.SRI.COM)
Date: April 03, 2007 10:03PM

This is riley good news. We are truly living the life of Riley.

I'll bet that he gets drafted by Nashville.:-D

(Sorry. I can hear the sound of teeth nashing.)

Posted by: ryeguy (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 03, 2007 10:57PM

Good news, can't wait to see him in a Cornell uniform.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: April 03, 2007 11:20PM

Roy 82
This is riley good news. We are truly living the life of Riley.

I'll bet that he gets drafted by Nashville.:-D

(Sorry. I can hear the sound of teeth nashing.)

...I'm so happy, I can't stop singing Johnny Nash's "I Can See Clearly Now, the Rain Is Gone" - as I drive down the road in my vintage Nash Metropolitan.

(I'm riley, riley sorry...)

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: April 04, 2007 12:08AM

Beeeej
(I'm riley, riley sorry...)
We're not so easy to rile, eh?

Silverbacks Awards Dinner
Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 04, 2007 12:18AM

[www.sasilverbacks.com]
[q]March 27th, 2007: The Silverbacks held the year end awards dinner this past Sunday, and the night belonged to rookie sensation Riley Nash.[/q]
MVP, Top Scorer, and Rookie of the Year.

Posted by: rileyguy (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: April 04, 2007 12:18AM

ryeguy

Me, either!

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: April 04, 2007 01:54AM

It's certainly one of the most anticipated and closely-watched pick-ups in Cornell history. I dunno whether that's because he has a particular mix that appeals to Cornell fans (speed, moves, scoring and some bite) or because the net allows us to obsess all the more now.

Anyway, this was a pretty damn good day for Cornell hockey.

Date: April 04, 2007 06:57AM

Trotsky
...a particular mix that appeals to Cornell fans (speed, moves, scoring and some bite) ...

You forgot the twin/brother factor. We like that, at least, I do. :) Otherwise, spot on.

Date: April 04, 2007 10:24AM

ryeguy

Liz '05
You forgot the twin/brother factor. We like that, at least, I do. :)

I hate to be the stick in the mud, but I read this forum at work, so could we please try to keep these comments PG? If we keep in this direction too long we'll get evilnaturedrobot rephrasing to say that he doesn't want Nash to come between Sawada and Greening... or does he?

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 04, 2007 11:05AM

ftyuv
ryeguy

Liz '05

I hate to be the stick in the mud, but I read this forum at work, so could we please try to keep these comments PG?
Hopefully you're joking.help

Date: April 04, 2007 11:17AM

billhoward
ugarte

Nice turn of phrase in a sport whose big tent also embraces Don Cherry. You were an English major with a minor in Haiku? Or was somebody humming Elton John and Candle in the Wind in a public place and try as hard as you could to dislodge Sir Elton, "Your candle's burned out long before your legend ever will" was wedged in too tight?
I was just parroting the cliched crap that they say in eulogies when the editor of the high school paper dies at 17.

Date: April 04, 2007 11:58AM

ugarte
billhoward
ugarte

I was just parroting the cliched crap that they say in eulogies when the editor of the high school paper dies at 17.
I thought you were quoting Blade Runner.

Date: April 04, 2007 12:55PM

Jim Hyla
ftyuv
ryeguy

Liz '05

I hate to be the stick in the mud, but I read this forum at work, so could we please try to keep these comments PG?
Hopefully you're joking.help

A Cornell jersey will be very becoming on Riley. If we were on him, we'd all becoming too.

Posted by: sah67 (---.clarityconnect.net)
Date: April 04, 2007 01:01PM

ftyuv
A Cornell jersey will be very becoming on Riley. If we were on him, we'd all becoming too.

It's moments like these when I hope the players' families don't read ELF.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: April 04, 2007 01:47PM

sah67
ftyuv

It's moments like these when I hope the players' families don't read ELF.

And yet some of them do. Thus, it's moments like these when I hope the players' families have the right type of sense of humor.

Date: April 04, 2007 01:49PM

ftyuv
ryeguy

Liz '05

I hate to be the stick in the mud, but I read this forum at work, so could we please try to keep these comments PG? If we keep in this direction too long we'll get evilnaturedrobot rephrasing to say that he doesn't want Nash to come between Sawada and Greening... or does he?

before, after, between, as long as they all get there in the end...

I can't believe I just typed that.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2007 01:55PM by evilnaturedrobot.

Date: April 04, 2007 02:58PM

evilnaturedrobot
ftyuv
ryeguy

Liz '05

before, after, between, as long as they all get there in the end...

I can't believe I just typed that.

To paraphrase Barry Boldwater, I don't care as long as they shoot straight.

:-P

Posted by: ithacat (128.253.193.---)
Date: April 04, 2007 04:10PM

Has anyone heard if Riley made the U18 team? Also, has anyone found the NPR story about the lockout that interviewed young Riley?

Posted by: ebilmes (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: April 04, 2007 04:43PM

ithacat
Also, has anyone found the NPR story about the lockout that interviewed young Riley?

[www.npr.org]

Edit: It's after 4 minutes in.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2007 04:50PM by ebilmes.

Date: April 04, 2007 05:09PM

ithacat
Has anyone heard if Riley made the U18 team?

I'm pretty sure the roster hasn't been released yet.

Date: April 04, 2007 09:30PM

ebilmes
ithacat
Also, has anyone found the NPR story about the lockout that interviewed young Riley?

[www.npr.org]

Edit: It's after 4 minutes in.

Eeeeeeek!
"....many sports fans in the United States could care less....."

My faith in NPR has been shaken. (It's the off season. We can now complain about grammar and incorrect word usage)

Obligatory thread content:
I am guessing that Riley, who according to the report, sided with management in the lockout, will not be joining the ILR school.:)

Date: April 04, 2007 09:45PM

Roy 82
I am guessing that Riley, who according to the report, sided with management in the lockout, will not be joining the ILR school.:)

Well Bettman speaks for the owners and he want to ILR. I go to ILR and certainly side with the owners.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: April 05, 2007 02:43AM

calgARI '07
Roy 82

Well Bettman speaks for the owners and he want to ILR. I go to ILR and certainly side with the owners.
"Labor relations" applies to both sides. Whether or not it's taught that way at a leftist institution like Cornell is a totally different issue :-).

Date: April 05, 2007 09:36AM

KeithK
"Labor relations" applies to both sides. Whether or not it's taught that way at a leftist institution like Cornell is a totally different issue :-).
What are you talking about? There are dedicated classes to "workers' rights" *and* "strategies of exploitation." ;-)

IIRC there have been several high level union negotiations where the top guy on each side was a Cornell alumnus.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2007 09:37AM by Trotsky.

Date: April 05, 2007 10:25AM

Roy 82
Eeeeeeek!
"....many sports fans in the United States could care less....."

My faith in NPR has been shaken. (It's the off season. We can now complain about grammar and incorrect word usage)

Omfg, don't even get me started. What's that, you already have? Well then...

That usage is perfectly valid and is an obvious use of irony. As Bender once sang so eloquently: "The use of words expressing something other than their literal intention -- now that is irony!"

I don't recall ever fighting Godzilla, but that is so what I would have done.

Re: Riley Nash commits to Cornell - OT
Posted by: billhoward (---.ziffdavis.com)
Date: April 05, 2007 10:40AM

ugarte
billhoward
ugarte

From you, the tongue-in-cheek was apparent. Indeed, they always say that about kids who check out in high school. They all had plans to change the world; not a one was going to manage the local Radio Shack because he liked having the big ring of keys jangling on Sansabelt slacks. To wit, an NJ boy checked out a couple months back in an auto accident and took a coupole friends with him, plus the oncoming school bus driver (who barely got mentioned because she was in her 60s). In addition to the usual candle-flame-snuffed line, a relative or friend mentioned he was such a good driver. The kid had had his license two weeks.

But meanwhile the point remains: Better we have him for two years than none. Nobody's pissed at Nieuwendyk for his three-and-done.

Date: April 05, 2007 10:41AM

ftyuv
That usage is perfectly valid and is an obvious use of irony.
I hereby claim every grammatical, syntax and spelling error I make for the rest of my life as ironic.

Amendment: I would also like to extend this. I hereby claim every financial, personal, social, artistic, error of judgment I will make as ironic. Beeeej is working on a way to make this a legal defense against and and all negative consequences of my mistakes. I will then claim my use of his services without pay as "the height of irony."

Date: April 05, 2007 10:41AM

ftyuv
I hereby claim every grammatical, syntax and spelling error I make for the rest of my life as ironic.

Amendment: I would also like to extend this. I hereby claim every financial, personal, social, artistic, fasiohn, and object choice error of judgment I will make as ironic. Beeeej is working on a way to make this a legal defense against and and all negative consequences of my mistakes. I will then claim my use of his services without pay as "the height of irony."

Date: April 05, 2007 10:46AM

Trotsky
ftyuv

Amendment: I would also like to extend this. I hereby claim every financial, personal, social, artistic, fasiohn, and object choice error of judgment I will make as ironic. Beeeej is working on a way to make this a legal defense against and and all negative consequences of my mistakes. I will then claim my use of his services without pay as "the height of irony."
Intentional double-posting? Excellent use of a literary device.

Date: April 05, 2007 10:51AM

billhoward
because he liked having the big ring of keys jangling on Sansabelt slacks.
I'm not sure you know what "Sansabelt" slacks are. Good luck getting a ring of keys to "jangle on" this.

Also, I wasn't an English major. I apparently studied at the Karl Marx Intstitute for Worker Empowerment and Confiscatory Revolution.

Date: April 05, 2007 10:55AM

Trotsky
ftyuv

It's all part of my commitment to pro bonehead work.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: April 05, 2007 10:57AM

Trotsky
ftyuv

I counter your snide hyperbole with one of my own: I assume you've never said "yeah, right" when in fact you meant "no."

People can say "yeah, right!" without the Grammar 5-0 jumping on them because everyone knows it's an ironic phrase. Why can't you extend that simple courtesy to "I could care less?" Let's break it down a little bit: it's a common phrase; it's always used to mean the opposite of its literal interpretation; it's often used in contexts where one would expect irony (specifically, where one disparaging something). If people ever used "I could care less" to actually mean that they could really care less, maybe you'd have a point that it's a mistake. I don't think I've ever heard that, though. So, all said, the expression seems to me like a pretty obvious candidate for irony.

Date: April 05, 2007 11:00AM

This morning at the Hampton Inn's free hot breakfast, two separate groups of people - one from Wisconsin, one from North Dakota - approached me to comment on what a great get we, um, got.

The Maine people mostly sniggered and said, "Cornell? They have hockey?" So I put peanut butter in their hair.

- Steve Worona

Date: April 05, 2007 11:07AM

ftyuv
Why can't you extend that simple courtesy to "I could care less?"
Because that isn't how people use it. 99% of the uses of "could care less" are mistakes -- no irony is intended.

The off-season is traditionally devoted to being officious and pedantic about these kinds of things, so courtesy is right out. April is the cruelest month.

Date: April 05, 2007 11:10AM

Beeeej
It's all part of my commitment to pro bonehead work.
Huh huh, you almost said boner, huh.

Date: April 05, 2007 11:11AM

Trotsky
ftyuv
Because that isn't how people use it. 99% of the uses of "could care less" are mistakes -- no irony is intended.
Haven't we had this debate before? Doesn't your argument require that people don't know the difference between "could" and "couldn't"? As misanthropic and inclined to believe that people are stupid as I am, even I don't think that is the case.

It is a cheap, low-grade irony that has coalesced into a phrase that has no ironic bite but retains a hint of a sarcastic undertone. Fat chance that you'll accept this, though.

Posted by: jkahn (---.73.146.216.biz.sta.networkgci.net)
Date: April 05, 2007 11:15AM

Getting back to the topic, here's the announcement on Nash and Berk posted today on Salmon Arm"s site:
[www.sasilverbacks.com]

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: April 05, 2007 11:18AM

jkahn
Getting back to the topic, here's the announcement on Nash and Berk posted today on Salmon Arm"s site:
[www.sasilverbacks.com]

"University of Cornell"? Does it sit on Lake Cayuga?

Posted by: Rita (---.agry.purdue.edu)
Date: April 05, 2007 11:43AM

ugarte
billhoward
I'm not sure you know what "Sansabelt" slacks are. Good luck getting a ring of keys to "jangle on" this.

Also, I wasn't an English major. I apparently studied at the Karl Marx Intstitute for Worker Empowerment and Confiscatory Revolution.

Ugarte, thank you for this link, you cleared up a small nagging mystery for me. I enjoyed listening to Jack Arute's Sunday Night ESPN show which was nicknamed something like the "Sansabelt" edition. I always wondered what "Sansabelt" was, but only fleetingly, since I never did get around to googling it.

Ironic or not?
Date: April 05, 2007 12:19PM

jkahn
[www.sasilverbacks.com]
Back on topic? I thought this was the grammar police site. Damn...

Posted by: MINIteam8s (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 05, 2007 02:05PM

This infers that acceptance to any NCAA program is referred to as 'scholarship'..."makes a total of seven scholarships accepted by SilverBacks players this season."

Date: April 05, 2007 02:13PM

MINIteam8s
This infers that acceptance to any NCAA program is referred to as 'scholarship'..."makes a total of seven scholarships accepted by SilverBacks players this season."
I almost posted something like this earlier this morning:

Insert complaint about Canadians referring to scholarships at Ivy schools.

Insert explanation about about terminology.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2007 02:13PM by KeithK.

Date: April 05, 2007 02:33PM

It's more like we say, "My 3 kids are in college" while a Brit would say, "They are all at university." In fact my kids are all studying at universities. It seems Canadians use 'scholarship' meaning 'accepted into a US NCAA program'. Interesting cultural differences using a common language.:-)

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 05, 2007 03:08PM

MINIteam8s
It's more like we say, "My 3 kids are in college" while a Brit would say, "They are all at university." In fact my kids are all studying at universities. It seems Canadians use 'scholarship' meaning 'accepted into a US NCAA program'. Interesting cultural differences using a common language.:-)
But, there's a reasonable chance they did get some sort of scholarship. Just not an athletic one.

Date: April 05, 2007 03:12PM

nyc94
jkahn
[www.sasilverbacks.com]

Considering that they spell their own team name "Silverbacks," "SilverBacks," and "Sbacks," and "wish [these three players] all the bast," I don't think "University of Cornell" is all that bad. At least it's spelled correctly.

Actually, the more I read this, the funnier I think it is.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: April 05, 2007 05:06PM

MINIteam8s

I think the statement implies that acceptance to any NCAA program is a "scholarship," or at least this is what you infer from it.

Watch out! The Grammar Police are on the prowl.

Date: April 05, 2007 05:52PM

Swampy
MINIteam8s

I think the statement implies that acceptance to any NCAA program is a "scholarship," or at least this is what you infer from it.

Watch out! The Grammar Police are on the prowl.

Or is he cleverly tweaking "infer" into an unaccusative?

Date: April 05, 2007 09:24PM

ugarte
Trotsky
ftyuv
Haven't we had this debate before? Doesn't your argument require that people don't know the difference between "could" and "couldn't"? As misanthropic and inclined to believe that people are stupid as I am, even I don't think that is the case.

It is a cheap, low-grade irony that has coalesced into a phrase that has no ironic bite but retains a hint of a sarcastic undertone. Fat chance that you'll accept this, though.

As a professional comic I assume that you know that sarcasm is accompanied by variations in inflection, emphasis, timing etc. I do not hear these when people say "could care less". Therefore I conclude that they are simply making an error.

Why does it matter? Because pointing out errors in others makes me feel better than other people and increases my self-esteem. It is even more fun when it is a professional journalist.

Date: April 05, 2007 09:31PM

ithacat
Has anyone heard if Riley made the U18 team?

Turris was the only incoming NCAA recruit selected to the team.

[www.tsn.ca]

Date: April 06, 2007 06:39AM

Very good, Grammar Police, good catch...my bad.

But wait...according to my paperback dictionary, used for crosswords and Scrabble nowadays, implies is to hint or intimate while infers is to make a deduction based on facts or indications.

In this case might not infer be the better verb?rolleyes

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: April 06, 2007 09:48AM

MINIteam8s
Very good, Grammar Police, good catch...my bad.

But wait...according to my paperback dictionary, used for crosswords and Scrabble nowadays, implies is to hint or intimate while infers is to make a deduction based on facts or indications.

In this case might not infer be the better verb?rolleyes

No, the point was that you, not the statement, would be the one making the deduction. So you are inferring, not the statement. The statement is implying.

I dislike this grammar nazi stuff as much as everyone else who doesn't do it, but don't rolly-eye them when they're technically correct (the best kind of correct!)

Date: April 06, 2007 10:14AM

it's the offseason...time to kick back and chill...

Posted by: ninian '72 (---.ed.gov)
Date: April 06, 2007 10:32AM

nyc94
jkahn
[www.sasilverbacks.com]

No, it's in Cornell, New York, or was that New Jersey?

Re: Riley Nash commits to Cornell - OT (even further OT)
Date: April 06, 2007 05:36PM

Rita
ugarte
billhoward

Ugarte, thank you for this link, you cleared up a small nagging mystery for me. I enjoyed listening to Jack Arute's Sunday Night ESPN show which was nicknamed something like the "Sansabelt" edition. I always wondered what "Sansabelt" was, but only fleetingly, since I never did get around to googling it.

Rita, you never been in a Radio Shack? Where'd you grow up - Shaker Heights? Westport? West Palm? The slacks are de rigeur at a higher end Radio Shack, KMart, etcetera, at least in the '90s. It is a Northern Lights kind of sight to see them being taken off on a dry, wintry night (especially with the lights out) as they generate close to a megawatt of static electricity. Polyester and leg hair form some kind of electrical relationship that is more powerful than even all the lithium ion cells in a hybrid show car of the future. They have a static electricity force field that would ward off a taser attack. A small dog who leaps up and tries to nuzzle your crotch while his rear paws are grounded will no longer have a damp nose once he picks hmself off the floor. Slip your new RFID passport in the back pocket of these slacks and, presto, no more RFID, I bet.

As a kid, I think I got a pair of these slacks for Christmas from a relative who must have wished me ill. There may be some non-poly Sansabelts now, but not then.

And there are key rings that clip over the waistband, so one doesn't need a belt and belt loops. Thus, a Radio Shack manager looking for sartorial splendor could still carry the keys.

But, hey, I'm glad Riley is committing.

Date: April 06, 2007 05:38PM

The release missed the obligatory line about the players gaining scholarships to the august Ivy League institution.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hortonpv.ul.warwick.net)
Date: April 06, 2007 06:06PM

billhoward
Rita
ugarte
billhoward

Rita, you never been in a Radio Shack? Where'd you grow up - Shaker Heights? Westport? West Palm? The slacks are de rigeur at a higher end Radio Shack, KMart, etcetera, at least in the '90s. It is a Northern Lights kind of sight to see them being taken off on a dry, wintry night (especially with the lights out) as they generate close to a megawatt of static electricity. Polyester and leg hair form some kind of electrical relationship that is more powerful than even all the lithium ion cells in a hybrid show car of the future. They have a static electricity force field that would ward off a taser attack. A small dog who leaps up and tries to nuzzle your crotch while his rear paws are grounded will no longer have a damp nose once he picks hmself off the floor. Slip your new RFID passport in the back pocket of these slacks and, presto, no more RFID, I bet.

As a kid, I think I got a pair of these slacks for Christmas from a relative who must have wished me ill. There may be some non-poly Sansabelts now, but not then.

And there are key rings that clip over the waistband, so one doesn't need a belt and belt loops. Thus, a Radio Shack manager looking for sartorial splendor could still carry the keys.

Well, after seeing how this thread has devolved, Riley might have preferred being committed :-D
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2007 06:06PM by scoop85.

Posted by: Rita (---.dhcp.insightbb.com)
Date: April 06, 2007 09:24PM

billhoward
Rita
ugarte
billhoward

I have been into Radio Shacks, KMarts and the like, however, I never really took notice on what the staff was wearing. I'm a "go in, get what I need and leave" type a person. However, if I had known about the "electrical show" that the pants could produce........

Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login