Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Defections?

Posted by Mark Lloyd 
Defections?
Posted by: Mark Lloyd (170.158.67.---)
Date: March 29, 2007 02:46PM

Long-time reader, first time writer here. Love the site, (particularly the positive, constructive posts) and really appreciate the depth of knowledge people have for hockey in general and the Big Red in particular. I would have just remained a reader but I noticed the other day (Tues. 3\27) in the Syracuse Post-Standard Sports that a Ryan Kindret signed with the Memphis Riverkings of the CHL. Usually the elynah faithful are all over this type of news so I waited 'til now to write. I went to the CHL website to find out more but couldn't come up with anything. Anyone know if it's thee Ryan Kindret; can't think there are a lot of professinoal caliber Ryan Kindret's out there. If so, we may need to look into signing one or two more recruits than originaally anticipated.

Re: Defections?
Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.caltech.edu)
Date: March 29, 2007 02:49PM

Press release mentions it here: [www.oursportscentral.com] It also talks about how he came from Cornell University, so it is the Ryan Kindret.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.courts.state.ny.us)
Date: March 29, 2007 02:56PM

Did Kindret see the ice this year? 1 or 2 games?

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: March 29, 2007 03:30PM

[db.elynah.com]

4 games. 11 last year. Perhaps he didn't see much chance of getting significant ice time here, so he decided to try to continue his career in the C.

Posted by: ebilmes (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: March 29, 2007 03:40PM

Wow. As the lone person with a Kindret jersey I've been disappointed that he hasn't been given more playing time. I guess it's best for his hockey career to leave.

As for recruiting, I don't see how this has much of an impact. With the backlog we had this season at forward, it's not critical to find a replacement for someone who saw so little action.

Anyone know any more details?

Edit: team site says it's an "Amateur Try-Out Agreement for the Playoffs"
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2007 03:46PM by ebilmes.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 29, 2007 04:20PM

He got more of an opportunity than Connors did. Now two of Connors's teammates from Nichols are headed to the Frozen Four playing prominent roles for Michigan State.

...Milo...
Posted by: theforgottencowbell (---.campuslife.cornell.edu)
Date: March 29, 2007 04:37PM

heard a rumor that Milo will not be invited back to the team next year.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 29, 2007 04:52PM

ebilmes
As for recruiting, I don't see how this has much of an impact. With the backlog we had this season at forward, it's not critical to find a replacement for someone who saw so little action.
I think the coaching staff intentionally recruits moer players than can play on the ice at one time. Having extra bodies means you have depth in case of injury and also creates competition for playing time. It's a lot easier to motivate some guys if you can hang threat of being scratched over their heads.

One consequence of this is that some guys aren't going to get ice time and may well want to leave the program in order to play more. Since these guys are the lesser players in the coaching staff's estimation (or at least less suited to playing the system) they are the most readily replaceable.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: March 29, 2007 05:38PM

calgARI '07
Now two of Connors's teammates from Nichols are headed to the Frozen Four playing prominent roles for Michigan State.

Marc Habscheid had some pretty good teammates on the Edmonton Oilers in '81-'82, too.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 29, 2007 07:43PM

CowbellGuy

Marc Habscheid had some pretty good teammates on the Edmonton Oilers in '81-'82, too.

How many of them did he outscore?

Re: ...Milo...
Posted by: wewantmore (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 01, 2007 05:28PM

is this true?

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: April 01, 2007 05:33PM

wewantmore
is this true?

I will say that I heard the same rumor about Milo before theforgottencowbell's post, although it might be from the same second/thirdhand source, so I wouldn't exactly call it confirmed just yet.

Posted by: evilnaturedrobot (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 01, 2007 06:24PM

wow. That would be big news, if true. I thought Milo was really starting to play well as the season wore on, and I imagined that he figured quite prominently in this teams future. I can only imainge that it would take a highly irresponcible act to get him thrown off the team (if there's any merit to the rumor.)

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: April 01, 2007 08:00PM

Was Justin one of the freshmen left home for disciplinary reasons (North Country?) last year?

Posted by: Giffy (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 01, 2007 08:14PM

He was. Scrivens, Krueger, Greening, and Scali were the only freshmen to play that weekend. That would mean Milo, Nash, Romano, and Gallagher were the ones left behind.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 02, 2007 12:21AM

Maybe he's playing the wrong sport:

Cornell sports profile>>> An accomplished baseball player as well, he was the most valuable player of the Minnesota American Legion state tournament in 2004, an award whose past winners include Dave Winfield and Terry Steinbach. A two-time letter-winner in baseball, he was selected to the Gopher All-Conference team in 2004.

Posted by: Giffy (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 02, 2007 01:05AM

billhoward
Maybe he's playing the wrong sport:

Cornell sports profile>>> An accomplished baseball player as well, he was the most valuable player of the Minnesota American Legion state tournament in 2004, an award whose past winners include Dave Winfield and Terry Steinbach. A two-time letter-winner in baseball, he was selected to the Gopher All-Conference team in 2004.

or his trying to play both sports doesn't work for Schafer.

Posted by: redice (---.usadatanet.net)
Date: April 02, 2007 10:57AM

".....he was selected to the Gopher All-Conference team in 2004."

Oh God, he's a goofer!!!!!!!!!!! That's enough reason to dispatch him. :-)

Posted by: mtmack25 (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 02, 2007 03:32PM

Giffy

At first I thought you were joking. Cornell Baseball

I can't imagine that makes Schafer happy.

Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: April 02, 2007 03:38PM

mtmack25
Giffy

I don't know which games he's played in but so far he is 6 for 8 with a double and a triple. Also 1 R, 1 RBI, 1 SB. And nobody has hit the ball at him because they are afraid! Not a bad start.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2007 03:39PM by ugarte.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.dhcp.psdn.ca.charter.com)
Date: April 02, 2007 03:43PM

mtmack25
Giffy

I'm pretty sure he made it known before he came to Cornell that he was going to play both sports. I remember Ari mentioning it on here.

Posted by: redhair34 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: April 02, 2007 03:52PM

Jacob '06
mtmack25
Giffy

I'm pretty sure he made it known before he came to Cornell that he was going to play both sports. I remember Ari mentioning it on here.

But if the rumor is true, the fact that he's playing baseball probably rules out an academic/university reason why he isn't being asked back.

Posted by: mtmack25 (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 02, 2007 04:05PM

Jacob '06

Yeah, you are probably right. This wouldn't be a new development.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 02, 2007 06:08PM

redhair34
Jacob '06
mtmack25
Giffy

But if the rumor is true, the fact that he's playing baseball probably rules out an academic/university reason why he isn't being asked back.

You're making it seem as if this is a done deal. I believe it's still just a rumor, correct?

Posted by: redhair34 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: April 02, 2007 06:45PM

scoop85
You're making it seem as if this is a done deal.

I said "if the rumor is true"

I believe it's still just a rumor, correct?

Yup.

Posted by: WillCMJr (---.bing.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 02, 2007 09:28PM

It's hard to hit the ball at him when he's not playing defense. He's only been DH & PH so far.

ugarte
mtmack25
Giffy

I don't know which games he's played in but so far he is 6 for 8 with a double and a triple. Also 1 R, 1 RBI, 1 SB. And nobody has hit the ball at him because they are afraid! Not a bad start.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 02, 2007 10:23PM

WillCMJr
It's hard to hit the ball at him when he's not playing defense. He's only been DH & PH so far.

Well there's your proof! He clearly wants to defect to the WCHA!

Milo & Ford
Posted by: Chris '03 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: April 03, 2007 12:00AM

This may belong in the other sports forum, but since Milo's baseball career is mentioned here, two-sport athletes had a good day today vs. Brown. Football QB Nathan Ford went 2-3 with 2 RBI and a run scored (plus 1 HBP). Milo went 3-4 with an RBI and a triple.
[cornellbigred.cstv.com]

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 03, 2007 01:23AM

WillCMJr
It's hard to hit the ball at him when he's not playing defense.
He is playing DH at the request of opposing coaches because they are afraid.

(I figured he was DH/PH (how can someone start two games in the infield and get zero chances>;) but I didn't want to look it up.)

Date: April 03, 2007 12:21PM

Insert rant about using the designated hitter in college.

Posted by: RichH (216.195.201.---)
Date: April 03, 2007 01:01PM

KeithK

The National League in MLB is the only league in the world (high school & above) that does not allow a DH in some form today. High School, college, Cape Cod League, the Olympics, Japanese Leagues, Korean Leagues, Latin American leagues all use the Designated Hitter. With interleague play, even the NL teams play a significant number of games with it.

I'm not saying I agree one way or another, just stating fact.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2007 01:05PM by RichH.

Date: April 03, 2007 01:04PM

RichH
KeithK

The National League in MLB is the only league in the world that does not allow a DH in some form today. High School, college, Cape Cod League, Japanese Leagues, Korean Leagues, Latin American leagues all use the Designated Hitter. With interleague play, even the NL teams play a significant number of games with it.

I'm not saying I agree one way or another, just stating fact.
All of which I am aware of. Considering those other leagues would just make it a bigger rant.

Damn you Ron Blomberg!

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: April 03, 2007 01:04PM

KeithK

The college DH rule is even more extreme than the AL one. If the starting pitcher bats for himself and is relieved, he's allowed at that point to become the DH. So the game can start without a DH and then get one later.

I forget what it is, but there's some substitution that ought consistently allowed involving the DH, but isn't. I think it involves the pitcher pinch-hitting for someone who's not the DH. If the DH takes a position in the field on defense, that's what effectively happens, right?

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: April 03, 2007 01:07PM

RichH
KeithK

The National League in MLB is the only league in the world (high school & above) that does not allow a DH in some form today.

Are you not counting American Legion as "high school & above"?

Posted by: RichH (216.195.201.---)
Date: April 03, 2007 01:12PM

jtwcornell91
Are you not counting American Legion as "high school & above"?

Nice try. I am counting it (I was the official scorekeeper for the NYS American Legion Tournament one year):

[www.baseball.legion.org]

[Q]F. Designated Hitter Rule. All Senior National Tournaments shall use the American League Designated Hitter Rule as published by The Sporting News.

All Junior games, regular and post season play, may use the National High School Federation Designated Hitter Rule, with one exception: The American Legion does not permit re-entry to a game, therefore the DH may not re-enter the game[/Q]

Posted by: Steve Rockey (---.empsl.cornell.edu)
Date: April 03, 2007 03:15PM

Since this has been updated I doubt it:

[cornellbigred.cstv.com]

Date: April 03, 2007 04:56PM

WhatWhatWHAT?!? When did Legion ball start allowing the DH? It must have happened sometime after 1995. That's not how we did it back in my day. And you kids get off my lawn! cuss

Posted by: upperdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 04, 2007 09:30PM

we had a dh back in the late 80's when i played HS ball and legion ball.. but since our pitchers were often our best players we didnt use the DH..

Posted by: BCrespi (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 04, 2007 10:24PM

My high school team was probably one of the only teams in baseball history who DH'd for our first baseman depending on the pitcher. We were...unorthodox.

Posted by: hockeyfan10 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: April 10, 2007 11:42PM

on the d/l that milo was cut

Date: April 11, 2007 01:44AM

hockeyfan10

Well that would explain why there are currently 16 (as apposed to the usual 15) forwards slated for next year.

At the same time, it doesn't make alot of sense. As has been mention earlier in the thread, he's currently playing baseball, so this can't be about an academic or conduct infraction. And if it's about him playing baseball, well schafer knew that Milo was going to pay two sports before he brought him in. Why would he change his mind now?

It's a shame if it's true, the kid is talented and I thought he was really starting to put it together down the stretch.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2007 01:45AM by evilnaturedrobot.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.nrl.navy.mil)
Date: April 11, 2007 04:00AM

hockeyfan10
Don't let Bothman hear about that. scared RPI's Seth Appert received a lot of flack recently from him for cutting two players.

Date: April 11, 2007 08:53AM

ursusminor
RPI's Seth Appert received a lot of flack recently from him for cutting two players.
RPI gives scholarships, right? If you cut a kid, you take away his scholarship. That wouldn't be the case here. If the rumor is true, Milo can continue to attend school on the same terms as before (and play baseball).

FWIW, Milo is now 10 for 22 with a SLG of .727 with 2 steals in 2 attempts. He is leading the team in BA and SLG, albeit in a bench role. Maybe he was cut from the hockey team because he wants to make baseball his #1 sport. Even if Schafer accepted that Milo would be a two-sport athlete, hockey would be the top priority. [/speculation]

Posted by: ursusminor (---.nrl.navy.mil)
Date: April 11, 2007 09:01AM

ugarte
ursusminor
RPI's Seth Appert received a lot of flack recently from him for cutting two players.
RPI gives scholarships, right? If you cut a kid, you take away his scholarship. That wouldn't be the case here. If the rumor is true, Milo can continue to attend school on the same terms as before (and play baseball).

[www.dailygazette.net]
Seth Appert
Appert said all scholarship commitments to Cyr and Kipp will be honored should they decide to remain at RPI.
Of course, it isn't clear if the "commitment" goes past this semester.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: April 11, 2007 09:26AM

Not that it has ever stopped any of us, but it's futile to speculate about the reasons in the absence of even an official announcement that he's gone. For all we know, the coaching staff is letting him blow off steam and will quietly let him back on the squad later in the summer. As he is a talented player, I'm hoping this is the case.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 11, 2007 11:51AM

If you offer someone a scholarship coming in, it's like a four-year contract. The school agrees to foot the bill for four years and if the kid doesn't work out, that's the luck of the recruiting draw. Or has that rule -- understanding? common agreement among scholarhsip schools? -- changed.

You can drop the scholarship for rules infractions, misconduct, flunking out (I think).

Date: April 11, 2007 11:56AM

billhoward
If you offer someone a scholarship coming in, it's like a four-year contract.
Scholarships are now very often given on a year-to-year basis.

Posted by: DILLIGAF (---.metrocast.net)
Date: April 11, 2007 07:36PM

generally, they are 1 year renewable agreements.

Posted by: redice (---.usadatanet.net)
Date: April 12, 2007 10:04AM

hockeyfan10

What the hell is a "d/l"?? Must we be so cryptic to save a couple of keystrokes? Tnx.

Posted by: Dpperk29 (128.153.201.---)
Date: April 12, 2007 10:15AM

d/l means down low...

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.ilr.cornell.edu)
Date: April 12, 2007 11:55AM

A good way of keeping potentially sensitive information on the d/l is by posting it on a public forum.

Date: April 12, 2007 12:06PM

calgARI '07
A good way of keeping potentially sensitive information on the d/l is by posting it on a public forum.
I think the person was saying that the got the info on the d/l, not that this was a way of preserving the d/l.

Posted by: ebilmes (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: April 12, 2007 12:43PM

ugarte
calgARI '07
I think the person was saying that the got the info on the d/l, not that this was a way of preserving the d/l.

Right, so if s/he got it on the d/l, then it might be best to keep it there. Again, just because you happen to know something doesn't mean it's best to post it publicly.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: April 12, 2007 02:50PM

When somebody says they got info on the d/l, it means they d/k.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2007 02:50PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Tub(a) (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: April 12, 2007 06:08PM

If d/l PM?

Date: April 13, 2007 12:15AM

Trotsky
When somebody says they got info on the d/l, it means they d/k.

when somebody pretends to have information from the d/l, but infact d/k, they should get the proverbial d/p.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: April 19, 2007 06:31AM

[theithacajournal.com]

"'To benefit both, we just thought we'd part our separate ways in the springtime,' Schafer said about Milo not returning."

Posted by: JDeafv (---.mae.cornell.edu)
Date: April 19, 2007 09:56AM

No mention of Milo leaving the hockey team in this article in today's (4/19) Sun:

[cornelldailysun.com]

Date: April 19, 2007 10:36AM

JDeafv
No mention of Milo leaving the hockey team in this article in today's (4/19) Sun:
Which, in light of the IJ article, is a little embarrassing.

As for the IJ article... "Bren-don"?

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: April 19, 2007 11:34AM

"The loss of Pokulok and O'Byrne was perhaps missed most..."

Ow ow ow ow OW!!

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: April 19, 2007 01:54PM

Beeeej
"The loss of Pokulok and O'Byrne was perhaps missed most..."

Ow ow ow ow OW!!
P-O-K-U-L-O-K. Looks right to me.

Edit: To be clear, yes, I know what you were getting at.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2007 01:55PM by Josh '99.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 19, 2007 09:13PM

ugarte
JDeafv

In converting the print article to the Web the IJ system seems to systematically retain the line-break hyphens.

Date: April 20, 2007 09:00AM

David Harding
ugarte
JDeafv

In converting the print article to the Web the IJ system seems to systematically retain the line-break hyphens.
I know. It just makes him sound like an immigrant from Krypton.

Posted by: redredux (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: April 20, 2007 04:23PM

Does anyone have any solid information on why Milo won't be playing hockey for the Big Red anymore? Very surprised he won't be playing anymore given the hype he came in with and the amount he played as a freshman.

Have there been Red hockey players who played another varsity sport at Cornell?

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 20, 2007 09:56PM

redredux
Does anyone have any solid information on why Milo won't be playing hockey for the Big Red anymore? Very surprised he won't be playing anymore given the hype he came in with and the amount he played as a freshman.

Sounds like Schafer didn't want him playing a second sport.

Bill Murray played soccer back in the early 70s, IIRC. Dryden played shortstop for awhile. Players didn't train year-round like they do today.

Posted by: Roy 82 (---.SRI.COM)
Date: April 21, 2007 01:32AM

I didn't get to see Milo play too much. My lasting impression of him is the CU-Harvard game on CSTV. He skated around a Harvard defender like the defender was standing still - twice. wow Based on that, he will be missed. Are we that full of talent or did he do something bad?

Posted by: lhayes (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 21, 2007 08:55AM

Al DeFlorio
Bill Murray played soccer back in the early 70s, IIRC. Dryden played shortstop for awhile. Players didn't train year-round like they do today.

Do I remember correctly that Brock Tredway (mid-late 70s) played soccer too?

Posted by: The Rancor (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: April 21, 2007 09:00AM

Joe somebody was expected to play lacrosse, but wisely chose ice hockey.

Posted by: peterg (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 21, 2007 12:59PM

lhayes
Al DeFlorio

Do I remember correctly that Brock Tredway (mid-late 70s) played soccer too?

and was All-Ivy.

When Ned coached both hockey and lacrosse, a lot of hockey players played both sports.

Posted by: DILLIGAF (---.metrocast.net)
Date: April 21, 2007 02:09PM

Roy 82
I didn't get to see Milo play too much. My lasting impression of him is the CU-Harvard game on CSTV. He skated around a Harvard defender like the defender was standing still - twice. wow Based on that, he will be missed. Are we that full of talent or did he do something bad?

The only bad thing he did was play baseball! rolleyes

To dismiss a solid 2 way player like this for playing a sport in his off season is moronic by schafer. But maybe in Schafer's eyes playing baseball is a lot worse than rape.

Posted by: billhoward (12.178.208.---)
Date: April 21, 2007 11:35PM

Al DeFlorio
redredux

Sounds like Schafer didn't want him playing a second sport.

Bill Murray, a defenseman almost as big and almost as talented as Doug Murray, opted not to play soccer his senior year to concentrate on hockey. Unfortunately, this was the least successful team since 1966 (give or take 1971) and I believe never got beyond the first round of the playoffs. This was the turning point for the the team - it never regained its glory for years and years.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 22, 2007 01:19AM

The Rancor
Joe somebody was expected to play lacrosse, but wisely chose ice hockey.
Please, that guy's never going to amount to anything.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.rbccm.com)
Date: April 24, 2007 01:43PM

Matt Herr played both hockey and baseball at Michigan. He was drafted in both sports I believe, though he was a much higher hockey draft choice.

I have no idea if the allegations on this board are true, but I would be a little disappointed if Mike didn't let someone talented play two sports. I'm not convinced that it is true.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login