Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

NCAA Tourney

Posted by bigggreddd77 
NCAA Tourney
Posted by: bigggreddd77 (---)
Date: December 06, 2002 01:08PM

OK...don't hurt me for posting this topic so early in the season. I just knocked on wood, crossed my fingers, and did whatever other voo doo I could do to keep the bad vibes away... ::voodoo:: (hmm...I bet that won't work :-)...Age...any chance of a voodoo face?)

But I noticed that the format of the NCAA Tournament has changed this year. Now that there are two different locations for the East and Northeast regionals...is there any method to the madness of assigning which teams to which regional? I checked the USCHO page on Tournament Selection process, but they have all of the old information for the 12 team tournament.

Just wondering if I should be looking into a road trip to Providence or Worcester...assuming our current level of play continues... Or is this more or less going to be a craps shoot?

Re: NCAA Tourney
Posted by: Robb (---)
Date: December 06, 2002 03:34PM

Don't worry Jason, I was pondering the same thing a few days ago and came across this page:

[www.uscho.com]

To summarize, their priorities are that host schools get to be near home, #1 seeds get to be near home, and that first-round intraconference games are to be avoided. I'm not sure who the 4 hosts are (at the time of that article, only two hosts were known - BU an UMich). The way I read it, if 3 of the top 4 teams are Eastern, though, the #3 eastern team would still get a #1 seed out west, rather than "getting" to stay home. After the #1s and hosts are placed, they go down the PWR list and place the teams as #2s, etc. Looks like they will flop teams rankings to keep them in the "right" regional. E.g. if Cornell is in the 5-8 slots of PWR, they should get a #2 eastern seed, but if that gives them a matchup with a #3 team that's also from the ECAC, they could swap the seedings of the #3 and #4 teams to avoid the matchup in the first game, while keeping all the teams at the same regionals.

I guess Worcester is marinally closer to Ithaca, but I can't imagine that it would be enough of a difference to affect the committee's placement. Given the guidelines published, I'd say that Cornell has a pretty good shot at eastern placement (assuming we get in), but it is basically impossible to tell if it'll be Worcester or Providence.

Posted by: Mark (---)
Date: December 06, 2002 03:39PM

Jason:

Crap shoot it is. I imagine if Cornell wins the regular season and ECAC tournament titles, they would be pretty much guaranteed to stay in the East. Whether that would be Worcester or Providence is anyone's guess.

You'll just have to sit tight until 5:30 p.m. on Sunday, March 23rd when the NCAA Tourney pairings are announced on ESPN.

Posted by: kingpin248 (---)
Date: December 06, 2002 04:19PM

The other two regional hosts are Providence College and the University of Minnesota.

As for the exact way the selection process will work, there can't be any certainty as yet, because the NCAA has yet to publish the Championships Handbook online. I would think that any such handbook would not include a published bracket, so that the committee can pair the regional winners any way it desires in the national semifinals (that is, to ensure that if the top seeds advance, #1 and #4 overall meet in one semifinal, and #2 and #3 in the other).

I agree with the others - there's no way to know where the Big Red would be placed, since Providence and Worcester are roughly equally distant from Ithaca.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---)
Date: December 09, 2002 12:16AM

Matt Carberry wrote:

As for the exact way the selection process will work, there can't be any certainty as yet, because the NCAA has yet to publish the Championships Handbook online. I would think that any such handbook would not include a published bracket, so that the committee can pair the regional winners any way it desires in the national semifinals (that is, to ensure that if the top seeds advance, #1 and #4 overall meet in one semifinal, and #2 and #3 in the other).
Well, considering that last year they did publish a bracket in the Championships Handbook and ignored it... rolleyes

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login