Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Complaining Early About the Fall 2007 Ticket Line

Posted by Trotsky 
Complaining Early About the Fall 2007 Ticket Line
Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 17, 2007 12:21AM

I thought I'd be the first in. Some historical perspective -- what may be the first ever whine about Cornell hockey ticket distribution: November 5, 1965.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2007 12:24AM by Trotsky.

Re: Complaining Early About the Fall 2007 Ticket Line
Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 17, 2007 08:42AM

Great find, Greg.

Posted by: peterg (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 17, 2007 02:58PM

My, my, how times have changed. I wonder how limited reserved seating would work now....

Posted by: Robb (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: March 19, 2007 11:26PM

Given that the barn didn't sell out immediately THIS year, I don't think I'd worry about getting tickets next fall. And since the administration will finally come to their senses and re-institute general admission (I'm putting a mind-meld on Andy Noel right now), everyone should be all set!

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: March 19, 2007 11:35PM

Robb
(I'm putting a mind-meld on Andy Noel right now)

For this to work, there would have to be a mind on both ends.

...or was that too easy?

Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (129.2.170.---)
Date: March 19, 2007 11:58PM

I'm just randomly throwing out an idea here..... but ELF users are 50 or 100 alumni (or more?) who could be persuaded to give a donation to athletics. If we actually came together and promised money as a whole, my guess would be that they'd actually listen to what we had to say. We're not Engelstad or Sandy Weil, but money talks with college administrators. I'd be willing to toss cash into a group donation provided I agreed with what we were asking for in return, and general admission for the student section to each game is something I think would improve both the Lynah atmosphere (by facetimer removal) and the Cornell experience (making it easier for every undergrad to attend a game once or twice before they graduated).

Again, just a random idea. Don't kill me.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2007 11:59PM by Ben Rocky 04.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 20, 2007 12:18AM

Ben Rocky 04
I think it's a good idea. We have to be careful not to phrase it as "We're holding you hostage unless you give in to our demands". It may be better stated as, "We'd like you to try this for three years, and here's an incentive to do so."

Kyle

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: March 20, 2007 12:46AM

Ben Rocky 04
I'm just randomly throwing out an idea here..... but ELF users are 50 or 100 alumni (or more?) who could be persuaded to give a donation to athletics. If we actually came together and promised money as a whole, my guess would be that they'd actually listen to what we had to say. We're not Engelstad or Sandy Weil, but money talks with college administrators. I'd be willing to toss cash into a group donation provided I agreed with what we were asking for in return, and general admission for the student section to each game is something I think would improve both the Lynah atmosphere (by facetimer removal) and the Cornell experience (making it easier for every undergrad to attend a game once or twice before they graduated).

Not a chance it would work. I guarantee it.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (129.2.170.---)
Date: March 20, 2007 01:00AM

Thank the Flying Spaghetti Monster that you went to law school and possess all knowledge.

Date: March 20, 2007 01:03AM

Ben Rocky 04
Thank the Flying Spaghetti Monster that you went to law school and possess all knowledge.

I was a professional fundraiser for universities for eight years, Rocky McSmarmy. I've explained at great length on this board two or three times before why this kind of idea won't work. Feel free to do a search for it, I'm going to bed.

EDIT: (Have you ever noticed, btw, that it's never the lawyer who claims he must be right because he's a lawyer - it's other people who respond as if he's made that claim? You and RichS make a lovely couple. :-) )

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2007 01:08AM by Beeeej.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 20, 2007 09:03AM

Beeeej
EDIT: (Have you ever noticed, btw, that it's never the lawyer who claims he must be right because he's a lawyer - it's other people who respond as if he's made that claim? You and RichS make a lovely couple. :-) )

I'm sorry, what did you say? All I heard was, "I'm Beeeej with four Es, and I'm a lawyer and I'm always right!" :-D

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: March 20, 2007 10:24AM

Beeeej
Ben Rocky 04

I was a professional fundraiser for universities for eight years, Rocky McSmarmy. I've explained at great length on this board two or three times before why this kind of idea won't work. Feel free to do a search for it, I'm going to bed.

You'll have to forgive Ben, Beeeej, you didn't go to Florida so he's allowed to still yell at you. And with all of us that he can't be short with anymore, it has to come out somewhere.

Hey Ben, if it works vicariously, you can take it from me that Beeeej is a good guy.

Date: March 20, 2007 12:41PM

DeltaOne81
Beeeej
Ben Rocky 04

You'll have to forgive Ben, Beeeej, you didn't go to Florida so he's allowed to still yell at you. And with all of us that he can't be short with anymore, it has to come out somewhere.

Hey Ben, if it works vicariously, you can take it from me that Beeeej is a good guy.

[insert jerk/typical loop here]

- Steve Worona

Posted by: Doug '08 (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 20, 2007 02:22PM

I heard early rumors that the procedure would be somewhat similar to last year, as there was minimal complaints and no hospitalizations as a result. Who knows though, I guess only time will tell.

Posted by: Rich S (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 20, 2007 03:42PM

Beeeej
Ben Rocky 04

Thanks again for showing us here and below, how pompous you can be.

And btw, I've had my share of professional experience in NYC with many a lawyer "who claims he must be right because he's a lawyer."

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: March 20, 2007 04:40PM

Ben Rocky 04
I will defend my friend by stating that he was pompous long before he went to law school. innocent

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: March 20, 2007 04:42PM

Rich S
Beeeej
... RichS ...

Thanks again for showing us here and below, how pompous you can be.

< ding ding ding >

< drool drool drool >

Date: March 20, 2007 05:38PM

Trotsky
Ben Rocky 04
I will defend my friend by stating that he was pompous long before he went to law school. innocent

Damn straight!

- Steve Worona

Date: March 20, 2007 05:43PM

Rich S
And btw, I've had my share of professional experience in NYC with many a lawyer "who claims he must be right because he's a lawyer."

Sorry to hear it. But I'm not any of them.

All I've ever asked of people who engage in dialogue with me is that they respond to what I say, not what they expect to hear me say, or what they think I might have been thinking when I said it. Apparently that's tough for some people. That's fine, it just means the dialogue is much less useful.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.rbccm.com)
Date: March 29, 2007 01:23PM

Worst ever: Fall '91.

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: March 29, 2007 01:34PM

RatushnyFan

Worse than fall '03.

From what I've heard, would those present agree that the fall '04 method was decent but they just screwed it up horribly in fall '05?

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.caltech.edu)
Date: March 29, 2007 02:00PM

French Rage
RatushnyFan

Worse than fall '03.

From what I've heard, would those present agree that the fall '04 method was decent but they just screwed it up horribly in fall '05?

Their locations were a bit predictable. Fall '04 was pretty good, but after that I knew the next year to wait somewhere near athletics. The closed doors was one of the dumbest things ever though.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.rbccm.com)
Date: March 29, 2007 02:10PM

A couple of people were hurt in '91 (pressed up against a fence) and many seniors who had season tix for 3 years got shut out. First time they changed the location, I believe, so when they announced it people rushed there and there was pushing, cutting, etc.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 29, 2007 04:39PM

RatushnyFan
A couple of people were hurt in '91 (pressed up against a fence) and many seniors who had season tix for 3 years got shut out. First time they changed the location, I believe, so when they announced it people rushed there and there was pushing, cutting, etc.
Yeah, without the '91 debacle we probably wouldn't be having this whole discussion. We'd still have the "traditional" line without the year by year tinkering.

(OK, we'd still be talking/complaining, but maybe a little less fervently.)

Edit: Quotes on traditional. It's not like the tradition of the line as conceived in the 1991 timeframe extended back 40 years or anything.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2007 04:40PM by KeithK.

Posted by: las224 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 30, 2007 05:04PM

I've said this a thousand times, so sorry to everyone who's sick of hearing this from me: Fall 05 would have been fine except that they were stupid enough to keep the doors shut and make people stand there for a good 15 minutes before letting them file through to Bartels. If the Section A doors had been open from the beginning, it would have been fine.

Edited: Bartels, not Barton
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2007 05:05PM by las224.

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: March 30, 2007 05:58PM

So you're saying that waiting 20-30 minutes defeats the entire purpose of a randomly announced time and location?

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: Townie (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 01, 2007 09:29AM

las224
I've said this a thousand times, so sorry to everyone who's sick of hearing this from me: Fall 05 would have been fine except that they were stupid enough to keep the doors shut and make people stand there for a good 15 minutes before letting them file through to Bartels. If the Section A doors had been open from the beginning, it would have been fine.

Edited: Bartels, not Barton

Absolutely right. The other missing element was a hand counter to know when they had enough lineholders.

Posted by: las224 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 01, 2007 07:35PM

I also just want to add it's not necessarily THAT dumb to do it near athletics. Half the people I know were waiting up on north because they figured it would be in an open space (like the fields up there). As long as they don't do it at athletics every time but pretend it can be anywhere.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login