Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

2007 TBRW Awards -- Call for Nominations

Posted by Trotsky 
2007 TBRW Awards -- Call for Nominations
Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: March 14, 2007 10:06AM

It's that time again. Please list your picks and make your arguments. The criteria:

Three awards that are determined by statistics alone:

* Duane Moeser - Matt Moulson Award, Leading Point Scorer.
* Chris Norton - Mark McRae Award, Leading Scorer, Defensemen.
* Brian Hayward - David LeNeveu Award, Leading Goaltender.

There are ten purely subjective awards that are open for your nominations:

* Peter Natyshak - Sam Paolini Award, Career Improvement. This award is open to seniors or in the very rare case when no senior has demonstrated above average career improvement, juniors. The award measures how well the player has improved since starting at Cornell.
* Randy MacFarlane Award, Transcendent Beauty and Skating Prowess. Title says it all. Anne's favorite award.
* Dave Shippel - Greg Hornby Award, Scrappiness and Effort. This award, which is associated with the longest-running typo in TBRW? history ("scappiness";), generally goes to a player who plays bigger than his size or "better than his talent."
* Terry Gage Award, Determination in a Supporting Role. This award generally goes to an athlete whose contributions do not show up in the box score. It often goes to an unexpected player who comes out of the pack to really contribute a particular skill as a role player.
* Mike Schafer - Stephen Bâby Award, Leadership and Passion. This award needs no explanation.
* Pierre Belanger - Murphy Family Award, Most Loathed Referee. Nor does this one.
* John Carter - Dom Moore Award, Most Respected Opponent. This award generally goes to an opposing player who has both ferociously skewered Cornell and who we would take in a heartbeat for one of our own. It is based on his performance against us only in games this year.
* Kevan Melrose - Matt Nickerson Award, Least Respected Opponent. This award goes to the guy who, when you scream "Sucks!" you really mean it. The bad and the ugly. The goon, the cheap shot artist, the whiner, the showboat. The asshole.
* Doug Dadswell - Ryan Vesce Award, Most Valuable Freshman. Define it however you want. Open only to freshman, not transfers.
* Joe Nieuwendyk - Doug Murray Award, Most Valuable Player. Again, define it however you want, as long as you consider only this year's performance.

Former winners.

This year's automatic awardees:

Leading Point Scorer: Topher Scott
Leading Scorer, Defensemen: Doug Krantz and Jared Seminoff
Leading Goaltender: Troy Davenport

Re: 2007 TBRW Awards -- Call for Nominations
Posted by: Dpperk29 (128.153.180.---)
Date: March 14, 2007 10:28AM

Carter-Moore: Nick Dodge, He plays with class, and he plays hard.
Melrose - Nickerson: Alex Richards, simply because of the snow pile.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: March 14, 2007 10:42AM

I feel like McCutcheon is a no brainer for the Natyshak-Paolini.

I also think there should be a career most respected opponent category. The "graduate already" category. I feel like Dylan Reese and Kevin Du have been seniors forever and have been killing Cornell for at least 6 years...

Posted by: sah67 (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: March 14, 2007 10:53AM

*Peter Natyshak - Sam Paolini Award, Career Improvement: Mitch Carefoot...the best season of Mitch's career, and I didn't see a bad game from him once this year. 17 points (more than double from any previous season) and great special-teams play didn't hurt either.

*Randy MacFarlane Award, Transcendent Beauty and Skating Prowess: Tony Romano. The kid can fucking skate. If only he didn't get pushed off the puck so much, but still.

*Dave Shippel - Greg Hornby Award, Scrappiness and Effort: Tyler Mugford. Tyler isn't huge, but man does he hit, both hard and often. He defines "finish your checks", dove (literally most of the time) after every loose puck, and saved Scrivens's and Davenport's ass numerous times. And although he may pick up a few more penalties than necessary, his defense of his teammates both physically, and through trash-talking is unparalleled.

*Terry Gage Award, Determination in a Supporting Role: Taylor Davenport or Blake Gallagher. Davenport was solid for the whole season until he got hurt, and although he didn't end up on the scoreboard very often, he was a key blueliner. Gallagher was a monster on the faceoffs, and although not the flashiest of freshmen, had some big goals and a key role on the powerplay.

* Mike Schafer - Stephen Bâby Award: Topher Scott I don't really want to say much here, but the tears coming from his eyes after Quinnipiac Game 2 defined "passion" for me ths year.

* Pierre Belanger - Murphy Family Award, Most Loathed Referee: Eugene Binda (not sure if we got Junior, Senior, or both): Miscalled penalties left and right, failed to call penalties, blew the whistle faster than you could shake a stick during scrums in front of the net, and overall had very little control of the game. Then again, I have a lot of respect for the job referees have to do, so I feel a little guilty here.

* John Carter - Dom Moore Award, Most Respected Opponent: Mike Devine,G, Dartmouth. We put 69 shots on him in our two games against Dartmouth this year, and he let in 3 goals. A .956 save percentage against us = enough said.

*Kevan Melrose - Matt Nickerson Award, Least Respected Opponent: Kevin Westgarth, Princeton; Alec Richards, Yale (if only for his little snow mounds); or Jamie Bates, Quinnipiac. Also, I'm sure Mike Atkinson (Quinnipiac) and Sean Backman (Yale) are nice fellows and all, but someone needs to give them hair cuts.

*Doug Dadswell - Ryan Vesce Award, Most Valuable Freshman: Colin Greening. Led the team in goals; second in PPGs; unbelievable hockey sense and use of his size on the ice; plays with intensity and passion unrivaled by any other freshman.

* Joe Nieuwendyk - Doug Murray Award, Most Valuable Player: Jared Seminoff. I'm a little hesitant about this one since he missed a whole bunch of games, but in the large portion of the season he did play, he was often our best player. An incredible stepping-up of his already-solid game from last year...he's not a huge Murray type with a blistering slapshot, or an O'Byrne, but he's our team's best defenseman, and led in points (nearly all on assists) during the first part of the year.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 14, 2007 11:34AM

Natyshak-Paolini: Mark McCutcheon
MacFarlane: Tony Romano
Shippel-Hornby: Justin Milo
Gage: Michael Kennedy
Schafer-Bâby: Uh...not applicable? But if we have to give it to someone, Topher Scott, I guess.
Belanger-Murphy: Peter Feola, though I admit that's chosen based purely on this past weekend.
Carter-Moore: Mark Dekanich
Melrose-Nickerson: Alec Richards
Dadswell-Vesce: Colin Greening
Niewendyk-Murray: Jared Seminoff

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: March 14, 2007 11:38AM

Chris '03
I also think there should be a career most respected opponent category. The "graduate already" category. I feel like Dylan Reese and Kevin Du have been seniors forever and have been killing Cornell for at least 6 years...
Some friends and I used to feel that way about Kerry Ellis-Toddington. It seemed like he was at Clarkson straight through from 1997 to 2004.

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: March 14, 2007 11:47AM

sah67
*Dave Shippel - Greg Hornby Award, Scrappiness and Effort: Tyler Mugford. Tyler isn't huge, but man does he hit, both hard and often. He defines "finish your checks", dove (literally most of the time) after every loose puck, and saved Scrivens's and Davenport's ass numerous times. And although he may pick up a few more penalties than necessary, his defense of his teammates both physically, and through trash-talking is unparalleled.

Seconded. I'll come back to the rest.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 14, 2007 11:53AM

Dpperk29
It's most respected opponent. I don't think you get to vote for Dodge on this one...

Posted by: redhair34 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 14, 2007 12:43PM

KeithK
Dpperk29
It's most respected opponent. I don't think you get to vote for Dodge on this one...

It's also based only on performance this year. Dodge sat out the game at Lynah, and he was good but not outstanding in the game at Potsdam. He was held off the scoreboard, but more importantly he, as the captain, couldn't get their team up for a game against the team (which was severely depleted) that ended Clarkson's season the past two years. Dodge is an outstanding player but based on the criteria established above, he definitely doesn't get my vote. Bagnall, Reese, Cashman (just to name a few) are all better options.

Posted by: DILLIGAF (---.metrocast.net)
Date: March 14, 2007 01:39PM

Shippel-Hornby: Justin Milo
Gage: Ben Scrivens / Justin Milo
Schafer-Bâby: Absolutely Nobody deserves this one!
Niewendyk-Murray: Troy Davenport

Posted by: Dafatone (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 14, 2007 02:16PM

I'd like to nominate Marshall on Quinnipiac for the Nickerson. Guy never saw a dive he didn't like.

Posted by: WillCMJr (---.bing.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 14, 2007 07:38PM

Scrivens led in GAA and Save %, how is it Davenport automatically wins? I don't remember who, but someone voted for Davenport as MVP. Neither goalie should have a chance in hell as they both got pulled more than any goalies in my life.

I don't feel like nominating all awards but MVP is TOPHER

Trotsky
It's that time again. Please list your picks and make your arguments. The criteria:

Three awards that are determined by statistics alone:

* Duane Moeser - Matt Moulson Award, Leading Point Scorer.
* Chris Norton - Mark McRae Award, Leading Scorer, Defensemen.
* Brian Hayward - David LeNeveu Award, Leading Goaltender.

There are ten purely subjective awards that are open for your nominations:

* Peter Natyshak - Sam Paolini Award, Career Improvement. This award is open to seniors or in the very rare case when no senior has demonstrated above average career improvement, juniors. The award measures how well the player has improved since starting at Cornell.
* Randy MacFarlane Award, Transcendent Beauty and Skating Prowess. Title says it all. Anne's favorite award.
* Dave Shippel - Greg Hornby Award, Scrappiness and Effort. This award, which is associated with the longest-running typo in TBRW? history ("scappiness";), generally goes to a player who plays bigger than his size or "better than his talent."
* Terry Gage Award, Determination in a Supporting Role. This award generally goes to an athlete whose contributions do not show up in the box score. It often goes to an unexpected player who comes out of the pack to really contribute a particular skill as a role player.
* Mike Schafer - Stephen Bâby Award, Leadership and Passion. This award needs no explanation.
* Pierre Belanger - Murphy Family Award, Most Loathed Referee. Nor does this one.
* John Carter - Dom Moore Award, Most Respected Opponent. This award generally goes to an opposing player who has both ferociously skewered Cornell and who we would take in a heartbeat for one of our own. It is based on his performance against us only in games this year.
* Kevan Melrose - Matt Nickerson Award, Least Respected Opponent. This award goes to the guy who, when you scream "Sucks!" you really mean it. The bad and the ugly. The goon, the cheap shot artist, the whiner, the showboat. The asshole.
* Doug Dadswell - Ryan Vesce Award, Most Valuable Freshman. Define it however you want. Open only to freshman, not transfers.
* Joe Nieuwendyk - Doug Murray Award, Most Valuable Player. Again, define it however you want, as long as you consider only this year's performance.

Former winners.

This year's automatic awardees:

Leading Point Scorer: Topher Scott
Leading Scorer, Defensemen: Doug Krantz and Jared Seminoff
Leading Goaltender: Troy Davenport

01-02
Date: March 14, 2007 07:48PM

If the goalie is selected by pure stats alone, how did both goalies get it in 01-02? LeNeveu had better GAA, Save % and Win%.

Re: 01-02
Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 14, 2007 08:59PM

WillCMJr
If the goalie is selected by pure stats alone, how did both goalies get it in 01-02? LeNeveu had better GAA, Save % and Win%.

It's subjective; it's in the wrong category. (However, this year I think you'd be hard-pressed to argue for Scrivens. He was a "supporting role" guy.)

Posted by: Rich S (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 14, 2007 09:21PM

KeithK
Dpperk29
It's "Cornell opponent", right?

Come on, the guy was born red...and was until he woke up and saw the Green and Gold lights! let him vote! :-D

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 14, 2007 09:36PM

WillCMJr
Scrivens led in GAA and Save %, how is it Davenport automatically wins? I don't remember who, but someone voted for Davenport as MVP. Neither goalie should have a chance in hell as they both got pulled more than any goalies in my life.

Trotsky
WillCMJr

It's subjective; it's in the wrong category. (However, this year I think you'd be hard-pressed to argue for Scrivens. He was a "supporting role" guy.)

I assume 'leading goaltender' = played more?

Posted by: BMac (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 14, 2007 10:06PM

* Peter Natyshak - Sam Paolini Award, Career Improvement. Ray Sawada

* Randy MacFarlane Award, Transcendent Beauty and Skating Prowess. Uh... is there any doubt? Romano.

* Dave Shippel - Greg Hornby Award, Scrappiness and Effort. Jared Seminoff. He dives in front of slapshots for breakfast.

* Terry Gage Award, Determination in a Supporting Role.

* Mike Schafer - Stephen Bâby Award, Leadership and Passion. Hopefully it should be the captain every year... but it goes to McCutcheon, who should have worn the C anyways.

* John Carter - Dom Moore Award, Most Respected Opponent. Cashman. He scared me, intimidated me, and I'd love that kind of guy on our team.

* Kevan Melrose - Matt Nickerson Award, Least Respected Opponent. "Dexshow." I just plain don't like him.

* Doug Dadswell - Ryan Vesce Award, Most Valuable Freshman. Colin Greening, No doubt.

* Joe Nieuwendyk - Doug Murray Award, Most Valuable Player. Jared Seminoff, also no doubt. Who did more?

Posted by: redheadfanatic (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 14, 2007 10:28PM

* Dave Shippel - Greg Hornby- Jared Seminoff.

* Mike Schafer - Stephen Bâby Award- Mark McCutcheon

* Doug Dadswell - Ryan Vesce Award- Colin Greening

thats all for now.

Posted by: BCrespi (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 14, 2007 11:35PM

BMac
* Kevan Melrose - Matt Nickerson Award, Least Respected Opponent. "Dexshow." I just plain don't like him.

Will

I find it interesting that this guy managed to be nominated for both the most respected and hated opponent award. That said, I'd probably lean more towards the Nickerson end, though he is an impressive goaltender.

Posted by: mttgrmm (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 15, 2007 12:23AM

Anyone who has a facebook profile like he does and has a facebook group devoted to him in which he misspells his name (http://cornell.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2213420558) deserves the Melrose-Nickerson award. Come on now.

tanning... seriously?

"Mark likes NSync CLAP CLAP CLAPCLAPCLAP....."

(btw... "Dexshow" pulled his FB profile down... wonder if Don Vaughan got wind of it and had him pull it)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2007 12:27AM by mttgrmm.

Attachments:
open | download - dekanich profile.pdf (112.4 KB)
Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 15, 2007 01:00AM

Rich S
Come on, the guy was born red...and was until he woke up and saw the Green and Gold lights! let him vote! :-D

Sure, only it's not an election. It's a nomination, and Trotsky has the final say in these. He could name Ogie Ogilthorpe as the most respected opponent for all the say that we have.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 15, 2007 01:21AM

BCrespi
BMac

Will

I find it interesting that this guy managed to be nominated for both the most respected and hated opponent award. That said, I'd probably lean more towards the Nickerson end, though he is an impressive goaltender.

To be fair, I'm using outside criteria and idle speculation in my nomination of Dekanich for Carter-Moore. Dekanich is a solid, talented netminder who was unfortunate enough to play on a team this year that had trouble scoring goals. Granted, the same could be said for Cornell this season. However, based on the "who we would take in a heartbeat for one of our own" clause, if Dekanich played for Cornell this year, I wonder if that could have made a big difference ultimately in this season's outcome.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 15, 2007 01:48AM

* Natyshak - Paolini, Career Improvement.
Mark McCutcheon

* Randy MacFarlane Award, Transcendent Beauty and Skating Prowess.
Looks like there's a runaway winner, but I'm going to put my support in all seriousness for Brendon Nash. He's the calmest, smoothest skater out there, especially for his size. Great form, no unnecessary movements, and he showed a few dekes in the playoff series that reminded me of Pokulok.

* Dave Shippel - Greg Hornby Award, Scrappiness and Effort.
A lot of guys could get this. I'll say Barlow.

* Terry Gage Award, Determination in a Supporting Role.
Evan Salmela. Filled in admirably when we needed a D-man with the extended absences of Glover and Seminoff.

* Mike Schafer - Stephen Bâby Award, Leadership and Passion.
Topher.

* John Carter - Dom Moore Award, Most Respected Opponent.
I probably always nominate a pair. This year, Reid Cashman played about 78 minutes every game. And Dylan Reese was everything that Noah Welch was hyped to be (but wasn't). I'm so glad they're both gone.

* Doug Dadswell - Ryan Vesce Award, Most Valuable Freshman.
Greening. Period.

* Joe Nieuwendyk - Doug Murray Award, Most Valuable Player.
I'm even surprising myself in going with Sawada. But he was really all over the ice, and I think he excelled on both sides of the puck more than anyone this year. If the boy only had any kind of speed...wait...I don't want to sound like Bill "if only" Howard. Anyway, in a year of inconsistency, I feel he was the most consistent.

Weird year to try to pick some of these...

Edit: Oh, and if I'm allowed to make up my own category for "Best Moment," it would have to be this:

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2007 02:01AM by RichH.

Date: March 15, 2007 02:11AM

RichH
* Randy MacFarlane Award, Transcendent Beauty and Skating Prowess.
Looks like there's a runaway winner, but I'm going to put my support in all seriousness for Brendon Nash. He's the calmest, smoothest skater out there, especially for his size. Great form, no unnecessary movements, and he showed a few dekes in the playoff series that reminded me of Pokulok.

* Joe Nieuwendyk - Doug Murray Award, Most Valuable Player.
If the boy only had any kind of speed...

Huh?

Edit: Oh, and if I'm allowed to make up my own category for "Best Moment," it would have to be this:

Can't argue with that onerock

Date: March 15, 2007 02:20AM

Shippel-Hornby: Tyler Mugford and Jared Seminoff
Gage: ?
Schafer-Bâby: Jared Seminoff
Belanger-Murphy: Mark Riley (@Brown--'nough said)
Melrose-Nickerson: Eric Lampe and Brennan Turner
Niewendyk-Murray: Jared Seminoff
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2007 03:41PM by redhair34.

Date: March 15, 2007 07:45AM

Well, there was an open competition for the starting job all season. I believe the coaching staff would be the first to tell you there was no clear no. 1 and no 'supporting role' goaltender.

I still wholeheartedly believe that Scrivens outperformed Davenport when given the opportunity. Also, his statistics were better.

Posted by: BCrespi (209.191.175.---)
Date: March 15, 2007 10:12AM

Will
BCrespi
BMac

Will

To be fair, I'm using outside criteria and idle speculation in my nomination of Dekanich for Carter-Moore. Dekanich is a solid, talented netminder who was unfortunate enough to play on a team this year that had trouble scoring goals. Granted, the same could be said for Cornell this season. However, based on the "who we would take in a heartbeat for one of our own" clause, if Dekanich played for Cornell this year, I wonder if that could have made a big difference ultimately in this season's outcome.

I totally get your point, but I have a personal policy of giving no respect to any person who would readily use their own nickname. Especially a stupid one.

Brian "The Crespinator" Crespi

Posted by: Doug '08 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 15, 2007 11:45AM

Natyshak-Paolini: Mark McCutcheon, Carefoot a close second
Shippel-Hornby: Tyler Mugford
Gage: Ben Scrivens, then Evan Salmela
Schafer-Bâby: No one deserves it this year
Belanger-Murphy: Scott Hansen
Carter-Moore: Reid Cashmen, the most dominant player in the conference and only person truley capable of taking over a game on his own...
Melrose-Nickerson: Eric Lampe
Niewendyk-Murray: Mitch Carefoot, only because Seminoff missed about 1/3 of the year

Date: March 15, 2007 01:53PM

RichH
Sure, only it's not an election. It's a nomination, and Trotsky has the final say in these. He could name Ogie Ogilthorpe as the most respected opponent for all the say that we have.
I can do anything I want, I'm the Chief of Police.

Date: March 15, 2007 01:54PM

Truth be told, though, since I see so few games in person these days, I lean very heavily on your nominations.

Posted by: mtmack25 (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 15, 2007 02:09PM

Natyshak-Paolini: McCutcheon. Statistically, he has the most improvement of any senior, aggressive PKer, became "the shooter" this year
MacFarlane: Tony Romano. Although I agree with RichH on Nash, Romano is somethin' to watch
Shippel-Hornby: Tyler Mugford. He shows flashes of good talent, but he would be sorely missed from the lineup because of his attitude and grit[Edit: took shifts on D against Q while Sem had a GM]
Gage: This is tough, but scoring only 6 pts, Justin Krueger quietly played 31 games of good hockey. How many times can you think of him making a mistake that hurt us this year?
Schafer-Bâby: Topher Scott, he leaves it all on the ice.
Carter-Moore: Cashman, but I don't think that a player with 3G and 37A can takeover by himself. Seems he needs at least one more to put it in the net**]
Dadswell-Vesce: Gallagher, Greening & Romano are hard to separate, but I really like a guy who dominates face-offs(Gallagher)
Niewendyk-Murray: Scott - I wish Byron had stepped up, but it seems Topher was a clear leader, offensively flat-out makes things happen, on D he doesn't let up. McCutcheon(special teams play a big plus), Sawada(big hits, good screens and 3 GWG's are big pluses)and Bitz(he did have a good year after all) are worth considering.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2007 02:36PM by mtmack25.

Posted by: ebilmes (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 15, 2007 03:54PM

I'm finally done with midterms...

*Peter Natyshak - Sam Paolini Award, Career Improvement: McCutcheon. Though I don't like him, his play improved tremendously.

*Randy MacFarlane Award, Transcendent Beauty and Skating Prowess: Romano. Gets the crowd excited whenever he has the puck.

*Dave Shippel - Greg Hornby Award, Scrappiness and Effort: Seminoff.

*Terry Gage Award, Determination in a Supporting Role: Scrivens. I don't think anyone had as big a supporting role as Scrivens. Called upon in the middle of games, or given the start when Davenport had been struggling, Scrivens put in serious effort and had some a couple fine performances under his belt by the end of the season. Kennedy was also a fine nomination.

* Mike Schafer - Stephen Bâby Award: Topher Scott. The only captain this year, IMO.

* John Carter - Dom Moore Award, Most Respected Opponent: Kevin Druce, G, York. Guy stays in the game after giving up 11 goals. That takes some heart.

*Doug Dadswell - Ryan Vesce Award, Most Valuable Freshman: Greening. I hope he stays 4 years.

* Joe Nieuwendyk - Doug Murray Award, Most Valuable Player: Topher Scott.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login