Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Quinnipiac at Cornell post-game 1

Posted by sah67 
Quinnipiac at Cornell post-game 1
Posted by: sah67 (---.clarityconnect.net)
Date: March 09, 2007 10:19PM

Guess I'll get this started...just got back from Lynah.

Not much to say right now, but Hansen was simply horrendous, as expected. Do we get stuck with this clown for the rest of the series as in the past? Someone mentioned that the program said something about Feola for tomorrow night, and Hansen again if there's a third game...or was that an error?

What happened to Salmela on the PP?

The first PP actually looked decent...and not even a single one-timer slapshot from the point...lots of backdoor attempts instead. Unfortunately, the PPs got progressively worse, with the last one just being hard to watch, and ending up more like a PK.

Davenport looked good tonight, as did Seminoff...didn't seem to be showing much in the way of mono after-effects. However, the rest of the D seemed to be leaving Davenport out to dry on several occasions. Lots of missed passes and missed scoring opportunities too; we didn't look like we were on top of our game. Thankfully, the PK was good, and Q wasn't on fire either, otherwise this would have ended before OT.

I didn't hear the pre-game show...was Taylor Davenport a healthy scratch?
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2007 11:19PM by sah67.

Re: Quinnipiac at Cornell post-game
Posted by: evilnaturedrobot (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 09, 2007 10:23PM

mistakes, mistakes, mistakes. That wasn't the first puck that they lost deep in their own end, poor decisions where made in the red's half of the ice all night. No suprise that it eventually came back to bite them.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2007 10:25PM by evilnaturedrobot.

Posted by: redhair34 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 09, 2007 10:28PM

Can anyone who had a good view of the no-goal enlighten those who didn't? Was it a hand pass?

Posted by: redheadfanatic (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 09, 2007 10:29PM

Just got back from Lynah. What a horrendous first period! The team looked better after that, but at no point would I have called them a great hockey team during that game. Tonight was the first time in a long time that I have not seen Cornell salute the Lynah Faithful.

Did anyone hear the 3 stars of the game?

Any guesses on who's in goal tomorrow night?

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 09, 2007 10:29PM

It was gloved in. Cornell didn't argue it at all which is pretty rare for them. That tells me they got the call right. Officiating was good.

Posted by: redhair34 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 09, 2007 10:31PM

redheadfanatic

If it's not Davenport bang

Date: March 09, 2007 10:31PM

From my view it was a hand pass, not just knocked in from the air.

Posted by: evilnaturedrobot (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 09, 2007 10:38PM

redheadfanatic
Tonight was the first time in a long time that I have not seen Cornell salute the Lynah Faithful.

wow, that didn't even occure to me. I was so disgusted myself that it didn't even cross my mind that the team didn't stay out at center ice for the first time in my cornell career.

Posted by: BigRedChsHd (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 09, 2007 10:45PM

Well, I'm sure it was an oversight or that they wanted to get away from the celebrating pile of golden hair, but would you blame them? The building really seemed stagnant--there just was not a lot of good energy coming out of the crowd...at least not playoff-level energy. Cripes, half of B was empty for the first period. We need to step it up tomorrow night and give our team the home team advantage they need!

redheadfanatic
Tonight was the first time in a long time that I have not seen Cornell salute the Lynah Faithful.

Posted by: ftyuv (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 09, 2007 10:49PM

Don't they always not salute when it's part of a series?

Date: March 09, 2007 10:56PM

I know they always don't shake hands, but I was pretty sure that they still saluted.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: March 09, 2007 11:12PM

sah67
Not much to say right now, but Hansen was simply horrendous, as expected. Do we get stuck with this clown for the rest of the series as in the past? Someone mentioned that the program said something about Feola for tomorrow night, and Hansen again if there's a third game...or was that an error?

Feola was in Canton tonight but someone on USCHO says SLU/Colgate gets J. Murphy (who was in Potsdam tonight) tomorrow. I don't recall refs moving around during the playoffs before.

Posted by: grizzdan24 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 09, 2007 11:14PM

sah67
Not much to say right now, but Hansen was simply horrendous, as expected.

I have to disagree, I would argue that the reffing tonight was the best we have seen this year at Lynah. They were invisible for the most part, especially after the first period.

As for the game play, it was nice to have a full defensive unit. Is this the first game this year that Seminoff and Glover have been in the lineup together? Carefoot also looked excellent tonight coming off injury. He really flew around to the puck and played well on the PK. The PP looked much better tonight also, much better movement and away from the puck.

LGR

Posted by: jks32 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 09, 2007 11:18PM

i thought during a 3 game series, they only salute the crowd after the last game of the series. i watched the clarkson series hte last 2 years as well and remember it that way.

Date: March 09, 2007 11:19PM

grizzdan24
sah67
Not much to say right now, but Hansen was simply horrendous, as expected.

I have to disagree, I would argue that the reffing tonight was the best we have seen this year at Lynah. They were invisible for the most part, especially after the first period.

LGR

I would usually welcome invisible reffing in the ECAC, but I think Hansen missed a lot of clear calls, and let the puck go on scrambles where it clearly should have been whistled dead a lot sooner. I certainly would not prefer a Binda penalty-fest, but I think refusing to call penalties when they're warranted is not a good thing.

Posted by: grizzdan24 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 09, 2007 11:21PM

sah67
I would usually welcome invisible reffing in the ECAC, but I think Hansen missed a lot of clear calls, and let the puck go on scrambles where it clearly should have been whistled dead a lot sooner. I certainly would not prefer a Binda penalty-fest, but I think refusing to call penalties when they're warranted is not a good thing.

While I would tend to agree with you, I think this is what the ECAC has been missing this year. The crowd really got into it in the 2nd period and it had a lot to do with the continuous, open play. I'm just pleased that the no-calls went both ways.

Posted by: reilly83 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 09, 2007 11:22PM

redheadfanatic
Did anyone hear the 3 stars of the game?

1. Fisher
2. Davneport
3. LeFort

Re: Quinnipiac at Cornell post-game 1
Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2007 01:20AM

I didn't attend or watch tonight's game, so I can't speak to that, but generally speaking Hansen is one of the best refs we'll see.

Posted by: bandrews37 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2007 02:15AM

Feola's the ref for Saturday night. Binda's stuck up with Dartmouth and Clarkson (praise Allah).

Hansen's back on Sunday, if we even get that far. After tonight, not counting on it.

Posted by: Oat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2007 04:11AM

We got owned tonight.. Will tomorrow night be different?

Posted by: hockeyfan4200 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2007 07:32AM

I heard that Taylor Davenport is injured and out for the rest of the season, what there is left of it.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 10, 2007 08:36AM

hockeyfan4200
I heard that Taylor Davenport is injured and out for the rest of the season, what there is left of it.

8 games. That's a pretty fair chunk of the season...he will be missed.

Posted by: lhayes (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2007 09:44AM

In the pre-game show, Schafer said that Seminoff wasn't 100% -- might take shorter shifts, ice the puck if need be -- but that they're really glad to have him back since they otherwise have only 5 defensemen. No McLeod tonight either. I missed the beginning of the pre-game show so didn't hear what was up with him or Taylor Davenport.

Posted by: Townie (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2007 09:57AM

lhayes
In the pre-game show, Schafer said that Seminoff wasn't 100% -- might take shorter shifts, ice the puck if need be -- but that they're really glad to have him back since they otherwise have only 5 defensemen. No McLeod tonight either. I missed the beginning of the pre-game show so didn't hear what was up with him or Taylor Davenport.

I saw Mcleod on crutches at the Harvard game.

Posted by: mhand06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2007 10:06AM

Yeah what's with Macloed is he ok?

Posted by: BladesOfGlory (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2007 10:29AM

I am a townie and I sit in section L. Where the tripping call was made. And if you don't think Hansen was horrendous then you don't know what your talking about. He made that call while not even looking!

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: March 10, 2007 10:37AM

BladesOfGlory
I am a townie and I sit in section L. Where the tripping call was made. And if you don't think Hansen was horrendous then you don't know what your talking about. He made that call while not even looking!

Watching on the webcast there's no way to judge because it was behind the play.

I had no beef with the officiating. I was glad to see him let stuff go both ways because Cornell's special teams are several steps below Quinnipiac's. Give me 45-50 min of even strength again tonight and I'm satisfied. I doubt we'll get it though- Feola called 17 minors last night for 13 power plays. They were mostly of the interference and holding variety.

Bottom line for tonight is Cornell's got to put the puck in the net and probably several times. They held the Q scoreless for about 123 minutes. I doubt they can do that again. They won't keep missing the big opportunities like they got in game 1. Last night was a great chance to get up in the series but they couldn't take advantage.

Date: March 10, 2007 10:41AM

Oat
We got owned tonight.. Will tomorrow night be different?

I would hardly say we got owned. We got beat. In the 2nd period, we were in control, and the 3rd period was back and forth. Colgate and Princeton got owned.

Date: March 10, 2007 10:44AM

Chris '03
Feola called 17 minors last night for 13 power plays. They were mostly of the interference and holding variety.

I've been happy with Feola's officiating this year, and look forward to tonight. Again, I'm all for wide-open 5x5 play, but if there are blatant penalties, they need to be called, and not just ignored for the sake of being more like the WCHA.

Posted by: DILLIGAF (---.metrocast.net)
Date: March 10, 2007 12:54PM

redheadfanatic

After a one goal ot loss it would be very hard to switch tenders unless that was the pattern all season.

The problem is that Scrivens didn't play much early when he should have. I think had that happened, there would have been a pure rotation throughout and then a number one that you ride into the playoffs.

I don't think Scrivens got a fair shake early and I don't think Davenport was given one late. Schafer has mismanaged them all season.

I think that Scrivens is the better of the two, but Davenport has more experience and there is no need to replace him tonight.

Posted by: DILLIGAF (---.metrocast.net)
Date: March 10, 2007 01:01PM

shot hit him in the ankle at Dartmouth. He was on/off crutches at harvard but had't been x-rayed and had to wait to get back to Cornell to get one.

Kind of foolish to me. There are a couple of pretty decent hospitals in Boston and for that matter one in Hanover where they could have gotten an x-ray and started the necessary treatment right away instead of waiting 36 hours.

Posted by: upperdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 10, 2007 01:04PM

wouldnt be surprising if the ankle was swelled.. they usually have to wait to xray anyway.. and what treatment would you think they would have changed.. if its broken it didnt matter and if it was sprain bruise they were treating that anyway.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: March 10, 2007 01:50PM

As for the officiating, I thought Hansen was pretty good, but the Assistant Refs were atrocious. I've never seen more incorrect offsides calls in a single game. I'm not sure if it was more one than the other, but whoever it was seemed to be calling offsides when he thought it would typically happen, not actually watching the players' skates in relation to the blueline.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: March 10, 2007 02:02PM

Beeeej
As for the officiating, I thought Hansen was pretty good, but the Assistant Refs were atrocious. I've never seen more incorrect offsides calls in a single game. I'm not sure if it was more one than the other, but whoever it was seemed to be calling offsides when he thought it would typically happen, not actually watching the players' skates in relation to the blueline.

In addition, I don't think I've ever seen so many guys booted from the faceoff in a game before. Didn't end up mattering but still sort of notable.

Date: March 10, 2007 02:06PM

In general, Cornell has played the same garbage hockey the last three games that got them winless in seven games. They aren't playing badly at all, but they aren't attacking or coming even close to doing so offensively. I lost count of the amount of times where Cornell retreated coming through the neutral zone, allowing Quinnipiac to re-set defensively. Cornell's offense is either firing on all fronts or its completely absent. When it has been absent, it has come as a result of tentative, perimeter play.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2007 03:05PM

I thought we looked pretty good yesterday.

Many of our struggles seemed to be Quinnipiac playing well, as opposed to us sucking. Sure, there were some missed passes, but what game doesn't have missed passes?

Q did a great job pressing us when we were in our own zone, causing turnovers and stopping our offense from getting much going. At the same time, we did a good job against their offense. Our defense didn't press quite as much, but we denied them easy access to our zone quite often. It was the sort of game to be decided on a bad turnover and bounce in front of one goal or the other.

Posted by: ryeguy (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2007 03:27PM

redhair34
redheadfanatic

If it's not Davenport bang

Couldn't possibly agree more.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 10, 2007 03:42PM

Dafatone
I thought we looked pretty good yesterday.

Many of our struggles seemed to be Quinnipiac playing well, as opposed to us sucking. Sure, there were some missed passes, but what game doesn't have missed passes?

Q did a great job pressing us when we were in our own zone, causing turnovers and stopping our offense from getting much going. At the same time, we did a good job against their offense. Our defense didn't press quite as much, but we denied them easy access to our zone quite often. It was the sort of game to be decided on a bad turnover and bounce in front of one goal or the other.

It's wasn't all Q, though. A number of those turnovers could have been avoided.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login