Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Hey, Pep Band...

Posted by Beeeej 
Hey, Pep Band...
Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: February 17, 2007 06:02PM

...what ever happened to the trumpets' "Mary Had a Little Lamb"/Fight! Maim! Kill! cheer? Haven't heard it in many, many months.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Re: Hey, Pep Band...
Posted by: Trotsky (---.ashbva.adelphia.net)
Date: February 17, 2007 07:05PM

Beeeej
...what ever happened to the trumpets' "Mary Had a Little Lamb"/Fight! Maim! Kill! cheer? Haven't heard it in many, many months.
I haven't heard it in several years.

Posted by: oceanst41 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: February 17, 2007 07:12PM

I can distinctly remember it being played once my sophomore ('04-'05) or junior ('05-'06) year. I fought, maimed and killed, my section not so much.

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: February 17, 2007 07:23PM

No offense, but I hope the reason they stopped playing it is because it was stupid and annoying. burnout

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: February 17, 2007 09:52PM

Beeeej

Somewhere around 2001 it became the "this! cheer! sucks!" cheer and they stopped playing it with any regularity or at all.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 18, 2007 04:11AM

Chris '03
Beeeej

Somewhere around 2001 it became the "this! cheer! sucks!" cheer and they stopped playing it with any regularity or at all.
Wait, you mean yelling loudly that a cheer sucks can accomplish that? Why didn't that work with Doctor Worm?

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: February 18, 2007 07:44AM

Josh '99
Chris '03
Beeeej

Wait, you mean yelling loudly that a cheer sucks can accomplish that?
In most cases, no. I imagine it only worked for Mary because it's... Mary. You might feel like a dork playing Doctor Worm, but you don't feel like an elementary school kid playing eight-bar exercises in beginner band.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 18, 2007 04:37PM

An' yins 'r stupid.

Who cares what you sound like playing it? It's the sound of the unified Lynah crowd chanting "Fight! Maim! Kill!" that's the point. I used to love that cheer, and, with the end of the Black Hole cheer screwed up as it is, it used to be one of the few opportunities left to hear that deafening, echoing silence that can happen after a great cheer.

Back in my day!...

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: February 18, 2007 05:44PM

Scersk '97
An' yins 'r stupid.

Who cares what you sound like playing it? It's the sound of the unified Lynah crowd chanting "Fight! Maim! Kill!" that's the point. I used to love that cheer, and, with the end of the Black Hole cheer screwed up as it is, it used to be one of the few opportunities left to hear that deafening, echoing silence that can happen after a great cheer.

Other examples: Ahhhhh...See ya!! *echoing silence*
and a *short* "DIE!" during Swanee as opposed to the retarded DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEE! that is now used.

BTW, in other news of evolving cheers, some dude in Section G has started shouting "YOU GOOOOOOOOOOOOON!!!!!" solo with such vigor that I believe he nearly passes out at the end of the "a-hole, you goon" tags on penalties. Some other guy nearby answers with "GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!" Saturday night more and more people have started joining in this quite randomly. It's....interesting.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 18, 2007 06:40PM

RichH
BTW, in other news of evolving cheers, some dude in Section G has started shouting "YOU GOOOOOOOOOOOOON!!!!!" solo with such vigor that I believe he nearly passes out at the end of the "a-hole, you goon" tags on penalties. Some other guy nearby answers with "GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!" Saturday night more and more people have started joining in this quite randomly. It's....interesting.
One of those dudes is me. One of the women who sits near me in G and I started doing this I think around the RPI/Union weekend.

As I said to my friends, anything that reduces the amount of silence in the rink IMO is A Good Thing(TM).

Kyle
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2007 06:42PM by krose.

Posted by: sah67 (---.clarityconnect.net)
Date: February 18, 2007 07:16PM

RichH

Some of us in D yell out "GOOOOON" after the "see ya chant" in response to idiots who continue to cheer "ahhh, see ya...you lose" even though we're now almost at the end of the season.

I'm also not a fan of the long "DIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" during Swannee...it makes it almost unintelligible.

Date: February 18, 2007 07:31PM

sah67
I'm also not a fan of the long "DIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" during Swannee...it makes it almost unintelligible.
You know, I agree with you, but I gave up the fight last year. It's more important that we all say the same thing when you know a priori that you're going to lose the battle to change what is said.

Kyle

Date: February 18, 2007 07:33PM

...and...
sah67
Some of us in D yell out "GOOOOON" after the "see ya chant" in response to idiots who continue to cheer "ahhh, see ya...you lose" even though we're now almost at the end of the season.
What Rich is referring to is *after* the normal "See ya... you GOON!" After a second of silence or so, myself and other clods start a "GOOOON!" screaming match. I personally think it's frackin' hilarious.

Kyle

Posted by: BigRedBrouhaha (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 18, 2007 09:39PM

During my time at Lynah, I also wasnt a huge fan of the extended die because I could barely hear the song and would miss the Drop Dead part. In regards to the Goon screaming match. I find that pretty funny actually, especially if its only one or two people screaming it.

If anyone wants to see what Swannee sounds like from the other side of the rink, check out this video made by the cstv rink rat during the QU game on friday. Its a little ways down the page.

[slog.cstv.com]

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: February 19, 2007 12:17AM

krose
RichH
One of those dudes is me. One of the women who sits near me in G and I started doing this I think around the RPI/Union weekend.

As I said to my friends, anything that reduces the amount of silence in the rink IMO is A Good Thing(TM).

Kyle

Oh, don't get me wrong, I find it quite amusing and am all for spirited noise, although I am concerned for the first dude's health and safety. I think there's a vein about to burst. Another positive is that it's actually getting the word correct. Many of the people on that side of the rink are convinced the cheer is "you lose."

Date: February 19, 2007 08:43AM

krose

...such as the bloodcurdling screams of people being disemboweled because they keep screaming "DIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!" for so long?

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: mtmack25 (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 19, 2007 09:14AM

Anyone else noticed the slight increase in tempo at the East end of Lynah during the cowbell?

Posted by: Jordan 04 (155.72.24.---)
Date: February 19, 2007 09:48AM

mtmack25
Anyone else noticed the slight increase in tempo at the East end of Lynah during the cowbell?

This happens with any unison cheer with a beat originating from the West end of the rink. Everyone seems to have great difficulty with keeping a beat in their head.

Posted by: mtmack25 (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 19, 2007 10:13AM

I suppose slight should be italicized in my original post. I realize there is a problem with people/distance/acoustics in a rink, but the cowbell beat is taken to the absurd, and it is not a problem of synchronization. The beat from D and E accelerates until after the first cycle, when everyone stops from exhaustion.

The same thing happens during "Let's go Red" chants.

I realize that topics like this get beaten to death on the board, but do we have any workable ideas on educating the masses?

Posted by: georget (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: February 19, 2007 10:18AM

Regardless of how anyone feels about "Mary...lamb", "Pinball Wizard" was just the best ever--THANKS!!

Mr. Timekeeper

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: February 19, 2007 10:42AM

mtmack25
\

For the umpteenth time (not to you), you... can't... hear... the cowbell... from... the east... end.

You can hear a general clanging, but you can't make out any discernible pattern. And its not Ari, you never could with Age either. It just doesn't travel (over the clapping) much at all.

The more clever among us (back when I inhabited that area 4-6 years ago) would visually follow the clapping pattern of the townies in M/N, who can obviously hear it better (I'd do the same thing for Gary Glitter). But most people don't think of it. And its not possible to keep with a beat that you cannot hear.

Summary: lay off D/E/F... at least about the cowbell.

Date: February 19, 2007 10:45AM

mtmack25
I suppose slight should be italicized in my original post. I realize there is a problem with people/distance/acoustics in a rink, but the cowbell beat is taken to the absurd, and it is not a problem of synchronization. The beat from D and E accelerates until after the first cycle, when everyone stops from exhaustion.

I realize that topics like this get beaten to death on the board, but do we have any workable ideas on educating the masses?

I suppose the Anaphoric Society could place metronomes on all the seats at the East end.

Date: February 19, 2007 10:49AM

DeltaOne81
mtmack25
\

For the umpteenth time (not to you), you... can't... hear... the cowbell... from... the east... end.

You can hear a general clanging, but you can't make out any discernible pattern. And its not Ari, you never could with Age either. It just doesn't travel (over the clapping) much at all.

The more clever among us (back when I inhabited that area 4-6 years ago) would visually follow the clapping pattern of the townies in M/N, who can obviously hear it better (I'd do the same thing for Gary Glitter). But most people don't think of it. And its not possible to keep with a beat that you cannot hear.

Summary: lay off D/E/F... at least about the cowbell.

Agree with the general premise. Disagree with the details. The first beats of everything -- cowbell, Gary Glitter, etc. -- can always be heard. After that, it's simply a matter of being just a tiny bit musically-inclined and keeping the beat in your head. No looking at other people clapping is necessary, although I guess that's a good back-up.

So why is this being discussed? 4 point weekend!

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: February 19, 2007 11:20AM

Jordan 04
Agree with the general premise. Disagree with the details. The first beats of everything -- cowbell, Gary Glitter, etc. -- can always be heard. After that, it's simply a matter of being just a tiny bit musically-inclined and keeping the beat in your head. No looking at other people clapping is necessary, although I guess that's a good back-up.

You can't set a tempo with one beat. That's physically impossible. Nevermind impractical. Most band/orchestras, etc have an instrument or a conductor constantly setting/keeping a beat to keep everyone today. I've never seen a conductor set one beat and walk away ;)

Furthermore, to stay on tempo, a repeated audible beat is quite helpful - how many people are 'musically-inclined' anyway? It just ain't gonna happen if you can't hear the beat.

Gary Glitter was more of a mystery to me. You could hear the instruments fine, but not the beat so much. Still you think people could usually keep on tempo, but it was indeed quite challenging except for the visual clues.

Anyway, I agree with your general premise (given at least two beats), but disagree with the practical details.

So why is this being discussed? 4 point weekend!

There's another thead for that ;)

Posted by: fullofgas (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 19, 2007 01:13PM

I think the guy playing the cowbell has a few too many cups of coffee before and/or during the game. Its like a race to the finish.coffee

Posted by: WillR (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 19, 2007 09:15PM

Jordan 04
mtmack25

I suppose the Anaphoric Society could place metronomes on all the seats at the East end.

We could combine the problems to form a solution. Apply subtle cowbell that most people can hear in B and A to keep a tempo for Lets Go Red!. I think people would be inclined to follow a quiet beat of tap-tap-tap-pause-tap-tap-tap. This might be a way to educate the masses about the idea of tempo.

Posted by: theforgottencowbell (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 19, 2007 10:02PM

WillR
Jordan 04
mtmack25

We could combine the problems to form a solution. Apply subtle cowbell that most people can hear in B and A to keep a tempo for Lets Go Red!. I think people would be inclined to follow a quiet beat of tap-tap-tap-pause-tap-tap-tap. This might be a way to educate the masses about the idea of tempo.

Assuming the cowbell also doesn't speed up...

Posted by: las224 (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: February 19, 2007 10:10PM

WillR
Jordan 04
mtmack25

For the LGR that comes after an opposing goal, the pep band drummer plays a beat, and no one ever follows that. I don't see why they'd be any more likely to follow the cowbell. If anything, I'd just find it as annoying as that guy who stands near the back of B and does that stupid whistle with the beat of LGR.

Posted by: WillR (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 19, 2007 10:37PM

las224
WillR
Jordan 04
mtmack25

For the LGR that comes after an opposing goal, the pep band drummer plays a beat, and no one ever follows that. I don't see why they'd be any more likely to follow the cowbell. If anything, I'd just find it as annoying as that guy who stands near the back of B and does that stupid whistle with the beat of LGR.

I can't mount much of a defense here. The lets go red chant after a goal does seem rather troubled even with the drum. Perhaps the disheartened lottery fan base is initially baffled by a forced cadence. They could still be trained though.

As for the whistling, the guy at the back of B would be me. I just hope that the whistling is to the right beat. If it offends tradition I could be persuaded to stop.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: February 20, 2007 07:48AM

WillR
I can't mount much of a defense here. The lets go red chant after a goal does seem rather troubled even with the drum. Perhaps the disheartened lottery fan base is initially baffled by a forced cadence. They could still be trained though.

LGR chants naturally speed up somewhat, even with only a dozen people. It's pretty standard to start them really slow so that they settle into a decent cadence.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: February 20, 2007 03:14PM

las224
For the LGR that comes after an opposing goal, the pep band drummer plays a beat, and no one ever follows that.
I think it's abundantly clear that the solution to this particular problem is to just not let the other team score any goals.

Posted by: kaelistus (---.mak.com)
Date: February 21, 2007 11:47AM

Bringing back.. I used to love that Mary had a little lamb cheer. Its just so funny to have a children's story coupled with maiming. Maybe this was the Grimm's version of that song. Who knows?

Of course, even better was the 5 goal variant:
(Goalie) is a great big sieve. Great big sieve, Great big sieve..
<repeat>
He lets the pucks go by... FIVE TIMES!!

Is this still around? I know we don't get too many 5 goal games, but Princeton was our chance!

Date: February 21, 2007 12:46PM

kaelistus
<repeat>

Is this still around? I know we don't get too many 5 goal games, but Princeton was our chance!

Yes, Section A did that one when we were up 4-0 against Princeton.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 21, 2007 04:21PM

Beeeej
kaelistus
<repeat>

Yes, Section A did that one when we were up 4-0 against Princeton.

And we could hear it across the rink.

Posted by: daredevilcu (---.riverside.clarkson.edu)
Date: February 22, 2007 12:36AM

-sigh- I heard it at the game against Clarkson... first time I'd ever heard it. Neat to hear, but sucked at the same time.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: February 22, 2007 02:32AM

I actually have a picture of a "FIGHT MAIM KILL" banner from Lake Placid in 1996; I should find a scanner and post it.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login