Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell vs Quinnipiac postgame

Posted by Doug '08 
Cornell vs Quinnipiac postgame
Posted by: Doug '08 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 16, 2007 09:46PM

Wow… great game, I am FIRED UP about Cornell hockey right now. Team played all 60 minutes huge win against a top opponent.

Pros: Greening played fabulous, is quietly starting to become one of the team’s best players. First power play was great, PK was very good also. Best performance from a goaltender we’ve had this season, phenomenal game by Davenport. Great hustle and drive from everyone all around, they knew they needed this win.

Cons: That being said, too many turnovers in our own end. Bitz slow with the puck, glad to see him off the point on the PP. After our first PP, the rest seemed to go downhill.

I can’t wait until tomorrow nights game; this is going to be our first 4 point weekend in a long time.

Re: Cornell vs Quinnipiac postgame
Posted by: ebilmes (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 16, 2007 09:48PM

Greening, Davenport, and Salmela. Absolutely huge.

I love the Fontas-Kennedy line.

Let's party.

Posted by: redhair34 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 16, 2007 09:50PM

Doug '08
Greening played fabulous, has quietly become the team’s best player.

Fixed your post.

Posted by: Omie (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2007 09:51PM

Amazing game! Our team was really fired up and was working it hard on both ends of the ice. The freshman class just keeps proving how good they are. I might not be fan of Davenport but if he plays every game like he played tonight... WOW! He was just rock solid. Great game in every sense. My only complaint is how Binda(?) lost control of the game for a while.

Date: February 16, 2007 09:51PM

ebilmes
Greening, Davenport, and Salmela. Absolutely huge.

I love the Fontas-Kennedy line.

Let's party.

Krantz too. He's logging tons of ice time.

Date: February 16, 2007 09:53PM

Omie
My only complaint is how Binda(?) lost control of the game for a while.

I was irritated with him at first. But it became clear to me that there wasn't much he could do, because Qunnipiac really wanted it to get out of control.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2007 09:53PM by redhair34.

Posted by: sah67 (---.clarityconnect.net)
Date: February 16, 2007 10:05PM

Salmela looks GREAT on the pp...excellent decision to put him on that 1st unit. You can tell he's really thinking and setting up good plays just by watching him...unlike Bitz.

Topher was also very good tonight...the pass to Barlow on the PPG was sweet, but not quite as good as the one to Krantz at RPI.

Posted by: redheadfanatic (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2007 10:05PM

AMAZING game by Cornell. Not so sure about those penalties, expecially 'Cutch's, but a win is a win. That was some dirty hockey by Q.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2007 10:10PM

I only caught part of the third period, but Lynah sounded as loud as I've heard it in a long time.

Ya gotta like the trend for this team right now; they seem to be playing about their most consistent hockey of the season, and at the right time.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.ashbva.adelphia.net)
Date: February 16, 2007 10:10PM

Omie
I might not be fan of Davenport but if he plays every game like he played tonight... WOW! He was just rock solid.
He made at least two Brodeur-quality saves when Wong (as in "third in goals in the NCAA Wong";) had him dead to rights. One was pure reaction; the other he lined up and tracked deliberately, and perfectly. I gotta say I did not know he had it in him.

Great game by the whole team, but especially by Gallagher, Greening, Nash, Romano... hey, what do these players all have in common? banana

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2007 10:13PM

Sometimes we (well at least I) take for granted the adjustment required for Freshmen at the Division 1 level, but that group is really turning it on now.

Posted by: sah67 (---.clarityconnect.net)
Date: February 16, 2007 10:17PM

scoop85
I only caught part of the third period, but Lynah sounded as loud as I've heard it in a long time.

I definitely think Q gooning it up got the Faithful all riled up...Davenport's chance at (and completion of) the shutout also had everyone pumped up.

Date: February 16, 2007 10:20PM

Did anyone happen to catch Jason Weinstein's 3 stars of the game?

Posted by: sen '08 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 16, 2007 10:24PM

What I overheard when passing a car with open doors:

1-Daveport
2-Greening
3-Scott, Gallagher

I might have heard wrong though.

Date: February 16, 2007 10:24PM

scoop85
Sometimes we (well at least I) take for granted the adjustment required for Freshmen at the Division 1 level, but that group is really turning it on now.

There were moments in which they were in such control of the game that it felt like we had fast-forwarded to some time in 2009. It's going to be satisfying watching their careers -- watching Greening and Gallagher interact is eerily like watching Derraugh and Andison as frosh. Romano is simply something else -- Topher's enthusiasm with a level of creativity we haven't seen in a long, long time.

PWR
Posted by: Chris '03 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: February 16, 2007 10:26PM

Don't look now, but Cornell is creeping up the PWR (now t16). There are some flippable comparisons ahead of the Red (UVM, CC, BC) with wins at (TUC) Dartmouth and (BC CoP) Harvard next week. It's a long shot,but not impossible for Cornell to slide into that slippery 14 spot in the next couple of weeks. I still think the chips would still have to fall pretty damn perfectly in the playoffs for Cornell to be in line for an NCAA bid without skating the Whitelaw first though.

EDIT: The new rule that TUCs only count if you've played 10 of them gets interesting when you consider Cornell is now 4-5-1 vs. TUCs. If Quinny or Dartmouth go cold, or if RIT is removed from consideration, the TUC criteria would fall out of Cornell comparisons which would have a signigicant effect if Cornell doesn't get those games back in the playoffs.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2007 10:37PM by Chris '03.

Posted by: pfibiger (---.br1.glv.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 16, 2007 10:26PM

sen '08
What I overheard when passing a car with open doors:

1-Daveport
2-Greening
3-Scott, Gallagher

I might have heard wrong though.

close.

1-Davenport
2-Greening
3-Barlow
3b/4-Scott

Posted by: lhayes (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2007 10:29PM

scoop85
Well, my sense from being in the stands was that the Faithful were not too boisterous for most of the tense, back and forth game. Until goal #2. Then is was electric as CU fought off Q pressure. And much cheering for the team at the very end, especially for the player circle to thank the fans. As the team was leaving the ice, the students starting chanting Davenport, Davenport. He was one of the last few players to leave the ice, and took a small bow.

Posted by: theforgottencowbell (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2007 10:30PM

Hey Ari, the cowbell called. It said:

[www.webmetronome.com]

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: February 16, 2007 10:31PM

Doug '08
I can’t wait until tomorrow night's game; I hope this is going to be our first 4 point weekend in a long time.

Fixed your post. rolleyes

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: February 16, 2007 10:40PM

Beeeej
Doug '08
I can’t wait until tomorrow night's game; I hope this is going to be our first 4 point weekend in a long time.

If it's already too late, I can get the rubber tubing and latex gloves up there by 4 a.m. There's a WalMart in Scranton that has diapers.

Date: February 16, 2007 10:48PM

Thanks to both of you

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2007 10:52PM

Beeeej
Doug '08

I was pleasantly surprised to have gotten through most of the thread without a post like this. Oh well.

Posted by: sah67 (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2007 10:56PM

Doug '08

I can’t wait until tomorrow nights game; this is going to be our first 4 point weekend in a long time.

This is a woof-free zone. **]

Posted by: Doug '08 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 16, 2007 11:20PM

Josh '99
Beeeej
Doug '08

I was pleasantly surprised to have gotten through most of the thread without a post like this. Oh well.

We WILL win tomorrow night

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2007 11:26PM

Doug '08

Just to be fair and balanced...

This game against Princeton absolutely SCREAMS "trap game". Cornell's big win tonight puts them in a tie for third. Next week's game against Dartmouth will be another big one, as it will probably decide home ice -- or even third place if Q keeps slipping. Harvard will be big 'cause, well, it's Harvard. The Big Red could easily look past Princeton.

Fortunately, that's not too likely to happen, since A) it's Senior Night, and B) the Tigers aren't a secret any more, having beaten Dartmouth and Colgate in successive games.

Posted by: Robb (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2007 11:26PM

Doug '08

Thank you, Doug, for the trip down memory lane - I remember when I was an undergrad (holy crap, was it really 13 years ago??) and after every win I was convinced that we would be national champions and after every loss I was sure we'd never win another game... Over time, my passion has, not mellowed, but deepened. The highs are just as intense - perhaps even more so, because they are set against a backdrop of inevitibly increasing disappointmnets - but different. Enjoy your undergrad years - oh to be 20 and back at Cornell!

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2007 11:30PM

Robb, let's see -- 13 years ago would have been the 1993-94 season. Gad, you were even entertaining the thought of a national championship that year?!? wow

Posted by: releck97 (---.sctnpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 16, 2007 11:48PM

theforgottencowbell
Hey Ari, the cowbell called. It said:

[www.webmetronome.com]

LMFAO! Thanks for saying something about that. Doesn't it just drive you crazy???

Date: February 17, 2007 12:02AM

Josh '99
Beeeej
Doug '08

I'm a little teapot, short and stout.

Fixed your post.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: February 17, 2007 12:11AM

Nerd fight! Nerd fight! popcorn

Posted by: KP '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 17, 2007 12:17AM

Robb
Doug '08
oh to be 21 and back at Cornell!

Fixed your post.

Date: February 17, 2007 12:29AM

KP '06
Robb
Doug '08
oh to be 21 and back at Cornell!

Fixed your post.
Well yes, that would have certain advantages... I was just quoting the song:

We are the alumni, we write out the checks.
We deplore campus violence, pot smoking, and sex.
We're summa cum laude, we're doing quite well -
But, oh, to be 20, and back at Cornell!

Posted by: ebilmes (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 17, 2007 02:29AM

Some other comments...

Reid Cashman was all over the place tonight. It seemed like he played at least half the game. This was a Q team with a lot of shaky defensive stretches that could have been disastrous for them had Cashman not been there. I realize he's known for scoring, but the D and "leadership" were anchored by him.

Salmela's "quarterbacking" on the first PP was wonderful. It's such a relief to see someone out there who can handle the puck and see where he should send it. There's also something in his skating style that makes him seem so effortless. After having to endure Bitz and McCutch trying to run the PP, this is an extremely welcome sight. (Unfortunately, after running a great first PP, the next few looked more like the ones from weeks past.)

This game really should have been close to Ari's 4-2 prediction. We had so many close scoring chances that we easily could have gotten a couple more goals. (Or, had the ENG opportunity not hit the post, that would have been one more.) Davenport could have reasonably given up a couple goals.

Troy was amazing. Scrivens seemed adequate for most of the games in which he played, but after seeing Troy tonight there is a clear difference. Rebounds pushed to the corner, control of the puck, staying in position on odd man rushes... Q knew the scouting report and tried a lot of high shots, including one that went off the goalie mask, but none went in. I want to see Davenport again tomorrow night.

Let's follow this one up

Posted by: Oat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 17, 2007 05:01AM

Terrible Troy was amazing tonight. Hopefully he will carry us to the Frozen Four and become Terrific Troy. Is that too much to ask?? I think not!!!

Troy Davenport, I believe in you now!
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2007 05:03AM by Oat.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: February 17, 2007 05:05AM

Robb

Isn't that "our careers are progressing, we're doing quite well"? The part about magna cum laude (but still unemployed) is in the Senior verse.

Do these kids today even know Song of the Classes?

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Re: PWR
Posted by: lhayes (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 17, 2007 06:31AM

Chris '03
Don't look now, but Cornell is creeping up the PWR (now t16).

At the moment, CU is 16th and SLU is 17th. If I add .OO4 bonus, it's a 5-way tie for 16th: Niagra, Mich Tech, Vermont, CU and SLU.

Posted by: las224 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 17, 2007 09:42AM

jtwcornell91
Robb

Isn't that "our careers are progressing, we're doing quite well"? The part about magna cum laude (but still unemployed) is in the Senior verse.

Graduating senior here, and I've never heard it. Where can I find it?

Posted by: redice (---.usadatanet.net)
Date: February 17, 2007 09:53AM

ebilmes
Salmela's "quarterbacking" on the first PP was wonderful. It's such a relief to see someone out there who can handle the puck and see where he should send it. There's also something in his skating style that makes him seem so effortless. After having to endure Bitz and McCutch trying to run the PP, this is an extremely welcome sight. (Unfortunately, after running a great first PP, the next few looked more like the ones from weeks past.)

Has it ever been confirmed why Evan was not playing? He is such a vast improvement over Kevin McLeod, that it's hard to imagine that the coaching staff would "healthy scratch" Evan in favor of playing Kevin. Perhaps the coaching staff was (too) eager to play McLeod because of his size.

Date: February 17, 2007 10:00AM

jtwcornell91
I'm older than all of you, and even I don't know most of "Song of the Classes."
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2007 10:02AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 17, 2007 10:38AM

las224
jtwcornell91
Robb

Class of '92 and I've never heard it.

Posted by: KP '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 17, 2007 10:52AM

jtwcornell91
Robb

It lives on within the band, where a "1" is usually amended onto the "20" :-)

And this thread went OT pretty quickly ... back to your regularly scheduled hockey. I think we're very capable of holding down 3rd place ... here's hoping the seniors finish out with a home 4-point weekend
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2007 10:56AM by KP '06.

Posted by: polka07 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 17, 2007 10:56AM

The Song of the Classes

Oh, I am the Freshman
Who stands way up here
I was nursed by my mommy,
But now I drink BEER!
I miss my old bottle
It's sad for to tell
For soon I'll be busted
Right out of Cornell!

Oh it's one two and three four
We all fall in line
to the tune of our Profs we must always keep time
And its work like a Turk till your eyes ache like hell
In this grand institution, This school of Cornell

Oh, I am the sophomore,
With debonair look
My vile freshman manners, I long have forsook
I've joined a fraternity, the parties are swell
But I fear that my grades are going to...

Oh, I am the junior,
a-takin' my ease
I go to my classes whenever I please
I frequent the bars, the barmaids as well
You see I've not been a-wastin' my time at Cornell

Oh, I am the Senior,
Tormented with doubt
My time at Cornell has almost run out.
The world situation has me quite annoyed.
You see I'm magna cum laude,
But still unemployed.

New verses pop up all the time though (we did a grad student one once, there's an alum one).

Sweet game last night, and all without Carefoot or Seminoff too!

Date: February 17, 2007 11:17AM

Trotsky
jtwcornell91
I'm older than all of you, and even I don't know most of "Song of the Classes."
That's definitely a little different than the way I remember the Gleeclub/Hangovers singing it - I think the words have been updated a few times over the years. The chorus falls in line with my memory though.

Unfortunately, I literally just packed up my copy of "Songs of Cornell" last weekend. I tried digging into a couple of my boxes of books, but didn't find it. As I remember them:

Oh, we are the freshmen, who sit over here.
We were nursed by our mommies, but now we drink beer.
We miss our dear bottles and it's sad to tell
we soon will be busted right out of Cornell. (
link from 1975, p. 4, col. 1

We are the sophomores, with debonair look.
Our vile freshmen ways we long have forsook.
(I don't remember the last two lines, but they didn't have to do with co-eds at Sage)

We are the juniors, taking our ease
We go to our classe whenever we please.
We frequent the bars, and the barmaids as well.
We've not been a-wasting our time at Cornell.

We are the seniors, tormented with doubt.
Our time at Cornell has almost run out.
Our situation has us quite annoyed -
We're magna cum laude, but still unemployed. (JTW had it right)

We are the alumni, we write out the checks
Our careers are progressing, we're doing quite well,
but oh, to be 20 and back at Cornell.

There have been many, many other ad hoc verses for various Cornell groups over the years (I know I've heard "We are the co-eds..." but I don't remember it). Here's one the Glee Club did to honor Ezra's 200th birtday.

Looks like RPI made up their own version, too.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2007 11:21AM by Robb.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: February 17, 2007 12:39PM

Is the band still doing the PC thing (from circa 2001) and changing "it's work like a Turk" to "it's work and it's work"?

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 17, 2007 12:52PM

redice

Has it ever been confirmed why Evan was not playing? He is such a vast improvement over Kevin McLeod, that it's hard to imagine that the coaching staff would "healthy scratch" Evan in favor of playing Kevin. Perhaps the coaching staff was (too) eager to play McLeod because of his size.

It's pretty ridiculous how Salmela's career has gone, just could never crack the lineup. He had the "opportunity" early in the year but was seeing like 10 minutes of ice time a game and never once was on the powerplay. In fact, a guy who was looked at a powerplay specialist coming into Cornell after being a point-a-game defenseman in juniors has never really seen a regular shift on the powerplay until last Saturday night. I can understand that for the first three years of his career when the powerplay was consistently strong, but it is frustrating to think he has been in the pressbox for most of this season when the powerplay has lost the team several games.

It took the coaching staff until game 26 to take Bitz off the point on the first powerplay unit.

Date: February 17, 2007 01:54PM

KP '06
jtwcornell91
Robb

It lives on within the band, where a "1" is usually amended onto the "20" :-)

Each instrument gets its own verse. I also wrote one for the band's P.A. announcer way back when right on the spot while everyone else was singing theirs, but I can only remember the last line: "And I just pulled this verse right out of my ass."

- Steve Worona

Posted by: sen '08 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 17, 2007 02:11PM

The way I learned it (and have heard it) is "it's work like a jerk."

Posted by: Killer (---.c3-0.nat-ubr5.sbo-nat.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: February 17, 2007 03:07PM

sen '08

I remember first singing it back in '71-'72, and we had it as 'turk". From the looks of things, there are some subtle and some not-so-subtle changes to a number of the verses. But, hell, who cares? It's like rugby songs - they always change a bit from team-to-team and sometimes party-to-party, but everyone gets the idea.

Re: Song of the Classes
Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 17, 2007 03:27PM

Robb
There have been many, many other ad hoc verses for various Cornell groups over the years (I know I've heard "We are the co-eds..." but I don't remember it).

Here's a Glee Club recording of "The Song of the Classes." [www.gleeclub.com] It's a live performance and the mix - solos vs choruses - is such that you need to keep your finger (or cursor) on the volume control. (More Cornell songs from the Glee Club at [www.gleeclub.com] )

The song has definitely evolved over the years. When I was an undergraduate they were singing
"I date only girls from Elmira and Wells,
For in my opinion they all beat Cornell's."

A few years later, with the great increase in the number of women on campus, the Glee Club version, a de facto standard, flipped it to
"I used to date girls from Elmira and Wells,
But in my opinion the best are Cornell's."

It was also around then that the junior stopped smoking his pipe and started smoking his pot, and the senior started being still unemployed

I, too, remember hearing a coed version but can't remember any verses. I'd wager that someone from the Cornell Chorus would have it on the tip of her toungue. One year, trying to loosen the tension during a certain week in late January, I wrote a version about fraternity rush.

Regarding 20 vs 21: Aside from how it scans, when that verse was written the drinking age in New York was still 18.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2007 03:30PM by David Harding.

Date: February 17, 2007 03:31PM

Didn't the co-ed verse start something like, "We are the co-eds, we're smarter than most..."? Can't remember what comes after that, but I think there was something about "...don't like to boast.."

Posted by: French Rage (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 17, 2007 03:41PM

That was the best game I've seen in person this year. crazy

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Date: February 17, 2007 03:42PM

[www.uscho.com]

"There was a lot of clutching and grabbing going on out there, and it slowed us down," said Quinnipiac head coach Rand Pecknold.

Well, at least there wasn't any, say, sitting on people and elbowing them in the facemask until they're forced to do something that gets them called for a penalty, too.

- Steve Worona

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2007 04:00PM by Beeeej.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 17, 2007 03:57PM

Beeeej
http://www.uscho.com/recaps/20062007/m/02/16/qu-cor.php

<i>"There was a lot of clutching and grabbing going on out there, and it slowed us down," said Quinnipiac head coach Rand Pecknold.</i>

Well, at least there wasn't any, say, sitting on people and elbowing them in the facemask until they're forced to do something that gets them called for a penalty, too.

I loved that comment about the clutching and grabbing. Coaches all over at every level love to use that excuse after losing games. I didn't think there was much clutching and grabbing at all. That stuff has gotten called pretty consistently. There were plenty of things not called last night, but they weren't clutching and grabbing type penalties like Pecknold's comments suggest. Thought the officiating was pretty even for the most part.

Quite frankly, I think the officiating has been much better this season and than last and the quality of games has increased as a result. The only two games that I have thought the officials ruined/determined were the games at Brown and Union.

Posted by: Giffy (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 17, 2007 04:07PM

Beeeej
http://www.uscho.com/recaps/20062007/m/02/16/qu-cor.php

"There was a lot of clutching and grabbing going on out there, and it slowed us down," said Quinnipiac head coach Rand Pecknold.

From the same article:

Bates checked Cornell freshman Tony Romano into the boards, leaving Romano shaken up on the ice and drawing a contact to the head penalty.

Did Kennedy and Romano switch jerseys?

Date: February 17, 2007 04:22PM

calgARI '07
Quite frankly, I think the officiating has been much better this season and than last and the quality of games has increased as a result. The only two games that I have thought the officials ruined/determined were the games at Brown and Union.

There were officials at the Brown game? Damn, I thought there was just some timer that caused a whistle to blow every 2-3 minutes and they'd randomly throw some player off the ice. You mean there was supposedly some sort of rationale as to how that was happening? Coulda fooled me.

Date: February 17, 2007 04:33PM

Killer
sen '08

I remember first singing it back in '71-'72, and we had it as 'turk".

It was still "Turk" in from '87 to '91.

Killer
From the looks of things, there are some subtle and some not-so-subtle changes to a number of the verses. But, hell, who cares? It's like rugby songs - they always change a bit from team-to-team and sometimes party-to-party, but everyone gets the idea.

The words to "Itsy Bitsy Spider" (aka "Don't Send My Boy To Hahvahd";) have also changed around a bit, e.g., Syracuse vs Yale or Brown and whether we have anything nice to say about Princeton.

FWIW, I recall Song of the Classes with different verses being sung by different groups. I think NBT got Sophomore and Junior, so the verses changed around a bit, like keeping the boys away from Elimira and Wells and frequenting bartenders rather than barmaids.

The freshman verse was also sung in the squeakiest voice possible.

Date: February 17, 2007 04:37PM

ugarte
las224
jtwcornell91
Robb

Class of '92 and I've never heard it.

It was sung at Cornell Night during orientation week (and again Senior Week), which I seem to recall sneaking into as an upperclassman, even when I wasn't an OC.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 17, 2007 04:48PM

The officiating was alright last night, except the ref had a habit most bad refs have, that being calling matching minors whenever the game got chippy to keep the teams "behaving".

I was alright with some of the matching calls, and I even didn't think Bates' hit warranted a 5 minute penalty, but the matching call where someone was pinning one of our players down for ten seconds was lame.

Posted by: oceanst41 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: February 17, 2007 06:37PM

I think it warrants mentioning for those alumni watching the game on the computer, but did I see some semblance of a replay for highlights or was I just really tired while watching the game?

Would that mean that Cornell and All-Access may have had their best nights of the year on the same night?

Date: March 21, 2007 03:40AM

A-ha! I found it. From my dad's "Songs of Cornell" copyright 1940 (before even HE was born):

Oh, there is the freshman who sits over there,
He was nursed by his mother before he came here;
He misses his bottle, and sad for to tell,
He soon will be busted right out of Cornell.

Oh, it's one, two and three, four, we all fall in line,
To the tune of our prof's (sic, I swear) we will always keep time,
For it's work like a Turk till (sic) your eyes ache like hell,
In this grand institution, this school of Cornell.

Oh, there sits the soph'more, with debonair look,
His vile freshman ways he now has forsook;
He sports 'round the town with the boys of his age,
And makes frequent calls on the co-eds at Sage.

(Chorus)

Oh there is the junior, he's smoking his pipe,
His mood mellows out over lager and tripe;
He knows about Zinck's and the others full well,
He's not been a-wasting his time at Cornell.

(Chorus)

Oh, we are the seniors, a-taking our ease,
We cut recitations whenever we please;
We go to the theatre (sic) and cut quite a swell,
For soon we'll be leaving this school of Cornell.

(Chorus)

The words above are credited to Frank Abbott, class of 1890. It doesn't specificially say that he wrote it while he was a student, but that would be my guess. The original Theodore Zinck was operating his pub during the 1890's, so that fits the chronology, too.

The women's version is also included, credited to Ferdinanda Legare' Waring, '22:

Oh, there sit the freshmen with wild, frightened looks,
They have not been weaned from their studies and booksl
They've had quite a shock, and the reason we'll tell -
The hadn't been told there were men at Cornell.

Oh, we are the soph'mores with debonair look,
Our vile freshmen manners we now have forsook;
We study and dance, and gad all about;
We're proud of these students that did'nt (sic) bust out.

Oh, we are the juniors with manners so gay,
We've learned how to mingle our studies with play;
We're out for the honors, and you can all tell
We've not been a-wasting our time at Cornell.

Oh, we are the seniors who've stayed in the line;
Our four years of polish have caused us to shine;
Our days are quite crowded, and numbered as well,
For we soon will be leaving this school of Cornell.

So if weve learned anything, its that the usage of apostrophe's by todays' students' is'nt much worse than their predecessors'. bang

I also found a pamphlet entitled, "Cornell Songs." It doesn't have a date on it, but I'm pretty sure they handed them out during my freshman orientation in fall of 1990 (why do I remember these things?). The words at that time exactly match polka07's post above, except for the second half of the sophomores' verse, which uses the version, "I used to date girls from Elmira and Wells / but in my opinion, the best are Cornell's."
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2007 03:49AM by Robb.

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 21, 2007 09:31AM

Point of order, "till" is not an error. Popular spelling these days would have you believe it's spelled "'til," but it's not. The word "till" actually predates "until."

Pardon my nerdery.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: March 21, 2007 10:11AM

Robb
The words above are credited to Frank Abbott, class of 1890.
Any relation to Cam and Chris? :-}

Posted by: redice (---.usadatanet.net)
Date: March 21, 2007 12:31PM

Section A Banshee
Point of order, "till" is not an error. Popular spelling these days would have you believe it's spelled "'til," but it's not. The word "till" actually predates "until."

Pardon my nerdery.

Pardoned......But, it sure looks like this is going to be a looooong offseason. :-}

Posted by: Robb (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: March 21, 2007 08:24PM

Section A Banshee

Pardon my nerdery.

You READ that? It is going to be a long offseason, indeed...

(and I didn't know that about "till" - interesting!)

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 21, 2007 09:04PM

Robb
Section A Banshee

Pardon my nerdery.

You READ that? It is going to be a long offseason, indeed...
I was procrastinating at work. There are no rules. whistle

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: March 21, 2007 10:16PM

Section A Banshee
I was procrastinating at work. There are no rules. whistle

Hear, hear!

Posted by: KenP (---.nws.noaa.gov)
Date: March 22, 2007 07:43AM

One of my favorite add-on lyrics:

Oh, we are the Alumni, we write out the checks
That support campus violence, pot smoking and sex
But oh, to be twenty, and back at Cornell!

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 22, 2007 10:50PM

KenP

In my day it was more commonly sung

Oh, we are the Alumni, we write out the checks.
We deplore campus violence, pot smoking and sex...

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: March 22, 2007 11:09PM

David Harding
KenP

In my day it was more commonly sung

Oh, we are the Alumni, we write out the checks.
We deplore campus violence, pot smoking and sex...

Read up the thread a bit. The alumni verse is quoted in two of Robb's posts...2 versions of it, in fact.

Flat view rules!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login