Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Holiday tournament competition in Florida next winter

Posted by sah67 
Holiday tournament competition in Florida next winter
Posted by: sah67 (---.clarityconnect.net)
Date: February 13, 2007 03:56AM

This information From the RPI alumni website:

The St. Pete Times Forum in Tampa (home of the Lightning) will host a holiday tournament during the weekend of Dec. 29/30, 2007 in anticipation of a bid for hosting the Frozen Four in 2012.

Teams are: RPI, Notre Dame, Colorado College and UMass(Amherst)

Re: Holiday tournament competition in Florida next winter
Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: February 13, 2007 04:53AM

What are the odds that the organizers of these two tournaments will get their acts together and schedule them back-to-back rather than conflicting? Like Thursday-Friday in Estero and Saturday-Sunday in Tampa. Some of us flew into Tampa for the Everblades this year, and eight games in four days in Florida would totally rock.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: ursusminor (132.250.146.---)
Date: February 13, 2007 11:29AM

In October of 2004, I received a message that RPI would be playing in the Everblades in 07-08. I assume that the sender did not know that there would be a second tourney in Florida, and made a wrong assumption. (I just checked the old message to be sure what it said.)

I agree with jtwcornell91, that it would be nice if the tourneys could be coordinated, but that would be asking a lot. rolleyes Notre Dame is the host of the tourney in St. Petersburg.

BTW, RPI plays CC in the first round. We'll probably play UMass in the consolation game. :-D

Posted by: ebilmes (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 13, 2007 11:34AM

jtwcornell91
What are the odds that the organizers of these two tournaments will get their acts together and schedule them back-to-back rather than conflicting? Like Thursday-Friday in Estero and Saturday-Sunday in Tampa. Some of us flew into Tampa for the Everblades this year, and eight games in four days in Florida would totally rock.

Not very good. I haven't gotten the impression that college hockey is high up on the list of priorities at TECO. (I'm guessing it'd be the same way in Tampa.) Any sort of concert or other activity would have scheduling priority. I'm also not sure how many people would make the long drive from Estero to Tampa (or the other way around) to see two more days worth of hockey. It would make for a fun roadtrip, but I can't see it happening.

Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: February 13, 2007 11:47AM

Man, I want Cornell to start playing in the T/SP tournament. The in-laws live in the area and it would give me something to do on a trip down.

Posted by: BCrespi (209.191.175.---)
Date: February 13, 2007 11:48AM

You'd hope that if they're making a Frozen Four push they'd want their trial run to go smoothly and be successful. Perhaps they will give college hockey a bit higher priority than they normally do. One can always dream, I suppose.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2007 11:48AM by BCrespi.

Date: February 13, 2007 11:48AM

Can we at least make them aware of each other? I guess one of us should mention it to Sue Detzer and Ralph should mention it to his RPI contacts, and ask that they pass it up the food chain.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.nrl.navy.mil)
Date: February 13, 2007 11:57AM

The first post in this thread is a bit misleading. Actually, the St. Pete Times Forum in Tampa has already been awarded the 2012 Frozen Four.

The exact quote at [www.alumni.rpi.edu]:

RPI to Participate in the College Hockey Classic Tournament in Tampa Bay, Fla., Dec. 29-30, 2007

Participants for next year's tournament are scheduled to be RPI, Notre Dame, Colorado College, and UMASS-Amherst. The NHL's Tampa Bay Lightning has begun hosting an NCAA tournament at the St. Pete Times Forum in anticipation of hosting the 2012 Frozen Four. Mark your calendars for next year and plan to join us.

Posted by: Rita (---.wave.hicv.net)
Date: February 13, 2007 11:58AM

Part of the scheduling problem is due to when the holidays occur and trying to play on days that are more likely to attract the handful of "casual hockey fans". This year Christmas is on a Tuesday, which probably means that the teams will not arrive in Florida until late Wednesday/early Thursday. This gives them Friday as a practice day and then the games on Saturday (29th)/Sunday (30th).

It would be nice if one of them could move the tourney to Fri/Sat and at least partially appease JTW91 and give him 6 games in 3 days :). I do not think they would schedule a game on New Year's eve, and they do need the games played between Christmas and New Year's to make the dates attractive to people who would consider traveling to the games.

Ugarte, it is only ~ 2 hr from Tampa to Estero, not too bad a drive, especially if you are escaping in-laws and going to see Cornell play!

Date: February 13, 2007 11:59AM

BCrespi
You'd hope that if they're making a Frozen Four push they'd want their trial run to go smoothly and be successful. Perhaps they will give college hockey a bit higher priority than they normally do. One can always dream, I suppose.

Actually, Eli was talking about our tournament in Estero (near Ft. Myers); the F4 warmup is RPI's tournament in Tampa.

Posted by: Rita (---.wave.hicv.net)
Date: February 13, 2007 11:59AM

ursusminor
The first post in this thread is a bit misleading. Actually, the St. Pete Times Forum in Tampa has already been awarded the 2012 Frozen Four.

The exact quote at [www.alumni.rpi.edu]:

RPI to Participate in the College Hockey Classic Tournament in Tampa Bay, Fla., Dec. 29-30, 2007

Participants for next year's tournament are scheduled to be RPI, Notre Dame, Colorado College, and UMASS-Amherst. The NHL's Tampa Bay Lightning has begun hosting an NCAA tournament at the St. Pete Times Forum in anticipation of hosting the 2012 Frozen Four. Mark your calendars for next year and plan to join us.

And part of the deal is that leading up to the FF they host their own tournament. That is how we "lost" Ohio State in the Everblades tourney. Columbus was awarded the 2005 FF and started hosting their own holiday tourney.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.nrl.navy.mil)
Date: February 13, 2007 12:01PM

jtwcornell91
Can we at least make them aware of each other? I guess one of us should mention it to Sue Detzer and Ralph should mention it to his RPI contacts, and ask that they pass it up the food chain.
John,
It's probably a Notre Dame hockey fan who would have to pass it up the food chain. I wonder if there are any.

Posted by: sah67 (---.clarityconnect.net)
Date: February 13, 2007 12:22PM

ursusminor

Whoops, apologies. I didn't realize sites that far in advance had already been set in stone...should have read more carefully.

Date: February 13, 2007 12:25PM

Rita
Ugarte, it is only ~ 2 hr from Tampa to Estero, not too bad a drive, especially if you are escaping in-laws and going to see Cornell play!

Josh, Judy and I managed to fly from NY and DC into Tampa, drive to Fort Myers, check into the hotel, and make it to the rink sort of in time for the first game.

Of course, in the old days I used to drive from New Orleans to Fort Myers the day before the tourney, and back the day after.

Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (129.2.170.---)
Date: February 13, 2007 01:39PM

ugarte
Man, I want Cornell to start playing in the T/SP tournament. The in-laws live in the area and it would give me something to do on a trip down.

Why play in Notre Dame's tournament when we have our own? We've gotten good teams scheduled at ours, year after year, with very few (if any?) AHA or CHA teams, and who says this one at the SP-Time Forum will be a regular thing. Lets be happy with what we have.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: February 13, 2007 04:08PM

Ben Rocky 04
ugarte

Why play in Notre Dame's tournament when we have our own? We've gotten good teams scheduled at ours, year after year, with very few (if any?) AHA or CHA teams, and who says this one at the SP-Time Forum will be a regular thing. Lets be happy with what we have.
Ummm... I think Ugarte's post made it clear why he wants us to play in the T/SP tournament. twak

Date: February 13, 2007 04:50PM

Josh '99
Ben Rocky 04
ugarte

Ummm... I think Ugarte's post made it clear why he wants us to play in the T/SP tournament. twak

Right, well, let me add another point. I really don't want to meet his in-laws.

Date: February 13, 2007 04:54PM

Ben Rocky 04
Josh '99
Ben Rocky 04
ugarte

Let's not overstate the case against the in-laws here. It is me that you don't want to meet.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: February 13, 2007 04:56PM

ugarte
Ben Rocky 04
Josh '99
Ben Rocky 04
ugarte

Let's not overstate the case against the in-laws here. It is me that you don't want to meet.
Jerk.

Date: February 13, 2007 04:59PM

KeithK
ugarte
Ben Rocky 04
Josh '99
Ben Rocky 04
ugarte

Jerk.

If that is directed at me, I deserve it. innocent

Date: February 13, 2007 05:46PM

KeithK
ugarte
Ben Rocky 04
Josh '99
Ben Rocky 04
ugarte

Jerk.
Con orgullo.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login