Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Senior Night at Lynah East

Posted by Killer 
Senior Night at Lynah East
Posted by: Killer (209.6.100.---)
Date: February 11, 2007 10:42AM

I know it's still 2 weeks away, but when I got up this morning I began to think that with the final RS game being held at Lynah East this year, and with the huge (and vocal) Red contingent that always attends, we should make it something special for our seniors. I don't know if Harvard has a Senior Night of their own, but after they put a damper on ours last year, it would be quite fitting to let them know who really rocks that place in support of their team...and oh so nice if the boys chalk up a big W as well.

So, maybe we can't do anything official, but people can start thinking about signs to thank the BIG RED seniors, cheers we start (e.g., in the 3rd period, we could call out each player individually: "Thank You, Evan! Clap-Clap Clap-Clap-Clap", or some such variation), etc.

Let's do our part off the ice, in the support of our team on the ice, to show that THIS IS OUR HOUSE!

LGR!!!

Killer

Re: Senior Night at Lynah East
Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: February 11, 2007 11:28AM

Personally, I think our fans purposely hijacking their senior night would go beyond rude to classless. I'm all for seeing us crush them like gnats on the ice, and for plenty of resulting chants of "This is our house" - but if, e.g., traveling Princeton fans tried to make our senior night into theirs, we'd probably want to beat the crap out of them. We have a senior night in Ithaca - thank the seniors then. And then thank them at their last game in the playoffs, whenever that may be.

(Sorry, I had to chuckle out loud a little at using the phrase "traveling Princeton fans.";)

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: February 11, 2007 11:38AM

Beeeej
Personally, I think our fans purposely hijacking their senior night would go beyond rude to classless. I'm all for seeing us crush them like gnats on the ice, and for plenty of resulting chants of "This is our house" - but if, e.g., traveling Princeton fans tried to make our senior night into theirs, we'd probably want to beat the crap out of them. We have a senior night in Ithaca - thank the seniors then. And then thank them at their last game in the playoffs, whenever that may be.

I don't think Killer was suggesting we interfere with any Senior Night cermonies Harvard may have after the game. Holding up signs and cheering for individual seniors during the game seems completely appropriate to me, since it will be the seniors' last RS game.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: February 11, 2007 12:09PM

jtwcornell91
Beeeej

I don't think Killer was suggesting we interfere with any Senior Night cermonies Harvard may have after the game. Holding up signs and cheering for individual seniors during the game seems completely appropriate to me, since it will be the seniors' last RS game.

I knew exactly what Killer was suggesting. We have a senior night. It's in Ithaca.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Killer (---.c3-0.nat-ubr5.sbo-nat.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: February 11, 2007 12:23PM

Exactly. If Harvard does anything for their seniors after the game, anyone who sticks around should be totally respectful of their ceremony, as we would expect of visitors at Lynah. I endorse no hijacking of anything official that Harvard does, regardless of when they do it. You know, we should also make a point to respect the playing of their alma mater between periods, even if their fans don't seem to know the words or pay attention. Heck, we're the Lynah Faithful, not the traveling goons of English soccer.

But for many of us who won't get to Senior Night at Lynah, it may be the last chance to say thanks. Holding up a sign saying "Thank You Cornell Seniors", or naming the individuals, doesn't take anything away from Harvard. In fact (and I know this is a long shot), maybe it would sink in with some of the Harvard fans that this is how you support your team. I've had conversations with a number of Harvard parents that I've met in Albany or sitting in Section O at Lynah, and apart from a few of them saying things like, "Don't they know any words besides 'Sucks'?", the general sense is that they wish their fans were more like ours. Dylan Reese's dad even told me he likes it when we hurl various taunts at his son. He loves the passion that I guess he never sees from Harvard students and alumni.

So, no, no hijacking or disrespect for Harvard's Senior Night (assuming they have one). But support of OUR team and thanks to OUR seniors? You bet.

Date: February 11, 2007 12:37PM

The tone of your first post in this thread strongly implied something much more than just focusing more than usual on the seniors in our always vocal support at Lynah East - it was very in-your-face. If that extra focus is all you're hoping to do, I don't see anything wrong with it at all.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: Jim Hyla (74.71.17.---)
Date: February 11, 2007 01:08PM

Beeeej
jtwcornell91
Beeeej

I knew exactly what Killer was suggesting. We have a senior night. It's in Ithaca.

Beeeej, to try and tell you nicely, I don't think you knew at all exactly what Killer was suggesting. I had the same impression that I think jtw did. Namely, saying something about our seniors, not about theirs.

I think this is another example of words vs. speech. I'm sure if you two were talking this wouldn't happen. We have to be careful in writing. I know, it's time for me to shut up, I've said this before.smashfreak That's me getting pounded, not doing the pounding.

Date: February 11, 2007 01:20PM

Jim Hyla
Beeeej
jtwcornell91
Beeeej

Beeeej, to try and tell you nicely, I don't think you knew at all exactly what Killer was suggesting. I had the same impression that I think jtw did. Namely, saying something about our seniors, not about theirs.

I think this is another example of words vs. speech. I'm sure if you two were talking this wouldn't happen. We have to be careful in writing. I know, it's time for me to shut up, I've said this before.smashfreak That's me getting pounded, not doing the pounding.

No, I think you're right to an extent. But there's a big difference between just being extra vocal toward our seniors during the game and doing something during the game that suggests we think it's our our senior night. Killer's first post leaned heavily toward the latter, and nothing John said changed that. Now that Killer himself has clarified a little better, I understand better.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: brm93 (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 11, 2007 01:43PM

I think Killer has both a good idea and the right tone. How about during a play stoppage something like holding up a big sign (or two) saying, "Thank You Cornell Seniors From Your Fans at Lynah East" and then have a big individual sign (obviously in red marker) for each senior--and give them a name chant. Both quick and loud.

We need to show that this is our house, but we still need to be respectful of all visitors and their activities.

Posted by: Killer (---.c3-0.nat-ubr5.sbo-nat.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: February 11, 2007 01:47PM

Beeeej
The tone of your first post in this thread strongly implied something much more than just focusing more than usual on the seniors in our always vocal support at Lynah East - it was very in-your-face. If that extra focus is all you're hoping to do, I don't see anything wrong with it at all.

Admittedly, in the haze of the morning after a late night entertaining friends from out of town, my tone probably was a bit in-your-face. The intent always was to put the focus on our guys, at a time that would be appropriate, not to demean theirs. Over the decades, they've been worthy opponents, and they deserve our respect for that (not to mention that they deserve better fans from the student body for their program). If I find myself in the rink after the game and they're holding a ceremony, I'll applaud each and every one of them. And I hope to find Reese's dad in the rink at some point to wish him and his son well (just not so much while he's on the ice against us:-)).

So, yes, let's give our guys that extra focus during the game, and then let Harvard salute theirs.

Posted by: min (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: February 11, 2007 03:18PM

I'm not trying to be a party-pooper, but does anyone know what Cornell's overall record is when playing at Harvard? Unless the team has a winning record at Bright (or any rink before it), technically speaking it is not our house/rink. Nevertheless, everyone have fun for those who go!

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 11, 2007 03:51PM

min
I'm not trying to be a party-pooper, but does anyone know what Cornell's overall record is when playing at Harvard? Unless the team has a winning record at Bright (or any rink before it), technically speaking it is not our house/rink. Nevertheless, everyone have fun for those who go!
So that means, if my quick calcs are correct, Messa Rink is not Union's rink, since their Div 1 record there is 80-88 plus ties?screwy There are teams that have a winning record there, so whose is it.thud

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 11, 2007 04:09PM

min

Think of it as a timeshare: You're in occupancy, the other guy isn't, you control it that night or that week. If 300 Cornell partisans are more noticed then 2,000 or so Bright people, it's Cornell's house. Nobody cares about who leads the half of the overall series played at Harvard. And it's damned uplifting for the visiting team that actually has to earn its A's and B's vs. the NCAA's leading one-and-done squad.

Posted by: TimV (---.amc.edu)
Date: February 11, 2007 04:55PM

I'm pretty sure we're way ahead in games played at Bright. Because of the pre-1958 years, though we might be behind at Harvard.

Posted by: min (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: February 11, 2007 07:24PM

Jim Hyla
min
So that means, if my quick calcs are correct, Messa Rink is not Union's rink, since their Div 1 record there is 80-88 plus ties?screwy There are teams that have a winning record there, so whose is it.thud

Well, if Cornell (or any other team who has a winning record at Union) wants to claim Messa Rink as its own , it should be able to do so... ;-)

In fact, by my definition, Sacred Heart may very well own Lynah. As to Union, maybe they are just renting...:-)

My earlier point is that any claim of other team's home rink would be more justified if it's backed up by real victories, not just by number of bodies in the stands. I guess we each have different definitions/preferences.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: February 12, 2007 10:42AM

min
I'm not trying to be a party-pooper, but does anyone know what Cornell's overall record is when playing at Harvard?

I'm pretty sure under Schafer the team is 9-2 at Bright with losses in Nov. 2001(4-3 in ot) and Jan. 2004 (1-0, damn you welch).

And for those of you expecting a Harvard senior night after the game, I'm pretty sure it will be before the game like most teams around the league. If I recall, Schafer moved Cornell's to after the game to make sure everyone was in the stands. Perhaps all the talk of this year's H seniors winning 2 of three ECAC titles and playing in three straight finals will motivate Schafer's team.

What I'm curious about is how good the score updates will be at Bright on the last night of the season with a bye potentially on the line for one if not both teams.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: February 12, 2007 10:59AM

min
I'm not trying to be a party-pooper, but does anyone know what Cornell's overall record is when playing at Harvard?

Yes.

At Watson: 12-9-1
At Bright, before Schafer: 3-14-1
At Bright, Schafer: 9-2-0
--------
Total at Harvard: 24-25-2

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: February 12, 2007 12:35PM

Chris '03
And for those of you expecting a Harvard senior night after the game, I'm pretty sure it will be before the game like most teams around the league. If I recall, Schafer moved Cornell's to after the game to make sure everyone was in the stands.
I still think it's pretty pathetic that Schafer had to do that.

Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: February 12, 2007 06:47PM

min
In fact, by my definition, Sacred Heart may very well own Lynah. As to Union, maybe they are just renting...:-)
It might, if we had ever played Sacred Heart.

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: February 12, 2007 07:59PM

ugarte
min

Neeeever happened.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 12, 2007 09:18PM

KeithK

I agree with you, but I still prefer that it happens after the game. Long delays prior to a game can have a pretty significant affect on the outcome.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.ashbva.adelphia.net)
Date: February 13, 2007 12:26PM

ugarte
min

What is this "Sacred Heart" you speak of?

Posted by: ftyuv (---.techtarget.com)
Date: February 13, 2007 01:04PM

calgARI '07
KeithK

I agree with you, but I still prefer that it happens after the game. Long delays prior to a game can have a pretty significant affect on the outcome.

Well, I'm a facetimer (as my name implies) and haven't been around long enough to see the Senior Night ceremony in any slot except after the game. That said, it's always struck me as the natural place for it. Senior night is all about seeing the seniors off at the end of the regular season -- seems to me you should do that once the regular season is over for them, which happens after the game, not before. (In case anybody would counter that with "well what if their last weekend is away?? ah-ha!" I'd answer that the last home game is a good balance of being as far towards the end as possible while still being at home.)

Date: February 13, 2007 01:14PM

ftyuv
calgARI '07
KeithK

Well, I'm a facetimer (as my name implies) and haven't been around long enough to see the Senior Night ceremony in any slot except after the game. That said, it's always struck me as the natural place for it. Senior night is all about seeing the seniors off at the end of the regular season -- seems to me you should do that once the regular season is over for them, which happens after the game, not before. (In case anybody would counter that with "well what if their last weekend is away?? ah-ha!" I'd answer that the last home game is a good balance of being as far towards the end as possible while still being at home.)
I personally prefer the ceremony before the game. How much of that is simply based on "that's how it was done when I was in school" I don't know. I do feel like you are likely to get better attention for a ceremony befoer the game when people are (or should be) in the stands eagerly awaiting the puck drop than after the game when people are starting to head for the exits.

Regardless I'll repeat myself. It's pathetic that the Senior Night festivities were moved to after the game because people couldn't be bothered to show up to the game on time.

Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: February 13, 2007 01:26PM

Trotsky
ugarte
min

What is this "Sacred Heart" you speak of?
It really should be harder for us to make this joke when the "recent games" section isn't being updated.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.ashbva.adelphia.net)
Date: February 13, 2007 02:15PM

I'm ambivalent. As the ceremony has gotten longer and more involved, I think it's a courtesy to the opposing team to hold it after the game.

Date: February 13, 2007 02:38PM

Trotsky
I'm ambivalent. As the ceremony has gotten longer and more involved, I think it's a courtesy to the opposing team to hold it after the game.
Agree, and the crowd stays around, so they do get a good send off.

Date: February 13, 2007 04:47PM

Trotsky
I guess that's a good point. The shorter ceremonies frmo ten years ago really couldn't have had much of an effect on the game play. The ceremony has probably gotten more involved because there is no longer a time constraint.

Posted by: redhair34 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 14, 2007 05:04PM

Chris '03
And for those of you expecting a Harvard senior night after the game, I'm pretty sure it will be before the game like most teams around the league. If I recall, Schafer moved Cornell's to after the game to make sure everyone was in the stands.

According to the Athletics site they are moving the ceremony back to before the game.

On Saturday, Cornell's seven seniors will be recognized prior to the contest against Princeton. Both games are scheduled for a 7 p.m. start at Lynah Rink.

[cornellbigred.cstv.com]

Date: February 14, 2007 06:50PM

redhair34
Chris '03

According to the Athletics site they are moving the ceremony back to before the game.

On Saturday, Cornell's seven seniors will be recognized prior to the contest against Princeton. Both games are scheduled for a 7 p.m. start at Lynah Rink.

[cornellbigred.cstv.com]
But then I wouldn't trust anything written there as official/true.

I really don't like it...
Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 14, 2007 07:17PM

when there's a ceremony before the game. I watch the other team, and they seem to get more motivation than the team having the ceremony. It's almost like resentment that builds up and makes them want to put it to us. I had those thoughts also while watching SLU during Neuwendyk"s (? add to spelling guide?) ceremony and sure enough they came out and forechecked the hell out of us.:-/

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: February 14, 2007 07:24PM

Jim Hyla
redhair34
Chris '03

[cornellbigred.cstv.com]

Damn, beat me to it.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Re: I really don't like it...
Date: February 14, 2007 07:44PM

TimV
when there's a ceremony before the game. I watch the other team, and they seem to get more motivation than the team having the ceremony. It's almost like resentment that builds up and makes them want to put it to us. I had those thoughts also while watching SLU during Neuwendyk"s (? add to spelling guide?) ceremony and sure enough they came out and forechecked the hell out of us.:-/

On the other hand, since the ceremony was moved to post-game, on the rare occasions when Cornell has lost the game (and we have), the ceremony was kind of anti-climactic and depressing.

- Steve Worona

We've lost games?
Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 14, 2007 07:47PM

(Reprise) That never happened...

Posted by: ftyuv (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 14, 2007 07:57PM

Beeeej
TimV

On the other hand, since the ceremony was moved to post-game, on the rare occasions when Cornell has lost the game (and we have), the ceremony was kind of anti-climactic and depressing.

Well then they shouldn't have lost. ;-)

I see your point, but it works the other way around, too -- after a big win, the crowd loves the senior night send-off, and I'm sure the players do, too. I guess you just have to ask yourself... do you feel lucky?

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 14, 2007 09:06PM

Jim Hyla
redhair34

[cornellbigred.cstv.com]
Right. For example, cornellbigred.com says the wrestling meet at Brown will start at noon Saturday. The Brown athletics web site says it will start at 11am Saturday. (Hope we show up in time.)

The cornellbigred.com recap of the Princeton wrestling meet, in its last paragraph, says the Brown meet is Friday night while the Harvard meet--scheduled Friday night--will be held on Saturday. I sent them an email pointing out the contradiction between the recap and the wrestling schedule page, but no one has fixed anything two days later.

Posted by: las224 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 14, 2007 11:08PM

So if the game starts at 7, what time do we need to get there for Senior Night? Or does the actual puck drop get pushed back?

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: February 15, 2007 01:53AM

Beeeej
TimV

I was under the impression that last year the first Senior Night loss since we started doing the post-game ceremony. But now that I think of it, I remember we lost our last six RS games by one goal each the year Ian Burt had to fill in for an injured Jason Elliott, and I think we'd started doing the postgame thing by then.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Senior Night
Posted by: ACM (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 15, 2007 03:29PM

The Senior Night ceremony will take place following Saturday night's game. I just confirmed this with the hockey office and sports communications. The press release on the Athletics web site is in error.

Re: Senior Night
Posted by: BCrespi (209.191.175.---)
Date: February 15, 2007 04:26PM

ACM
The Senior Night ceremony will take place following Saturday night's game. I just confirmed this with the hockey office and sports communications. The press release on the Athletics web site is in error.

I'm shocked and appalled that Cornell Athletics would EVER do something so irresponsible and detrimental its fanbase.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login