Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell 6 at RPI 1 post game

Posted by redheadfanatic 
Cornell 6 at RPI 1 post game
Posted by: redheadfanatic (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 10, 2007 09:12PM

What a great game for Cornell.
Davenport was solid in goal, only he sitll let off a few too many rebounds, for my liking anyways.
That was a solid 60 minutes of hockey, lef mostly by the freshmen.
Let's hope we can keep it up!

Re: Cornell 6 at RPI 1 post game
Posted by: Trotsky (---.ashbva.adelphia.net)
Date: February 10, 2007 09:15PM

Princeton now up 3-0 in final minute.

Somehow, Cornell comes home in sole possession of 4th.

Date: February 10, 2007 09:19PM

Cornell was 1-2-1 against this UC/RPI last year. This year: 2-0-2.

Posted by: oceanst41 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: February 10, 2007 09:19PM

Much better game by Cornell. Special teams set up the big plays to secure a big win. Cornell seemed determined to win, and for once didn't sit on the lead once they gained it.

Posted by: ryeguy (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 10, 2007 09:21PM

I don't know what everyone else thinks but I feel a lot more confident and less nervous when Davenport is in goal. Scrivens just seems too shaky to me even though he has had some good moments i guess.

Posted by: reilly83 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 10, 2007 09:22PM

Jason Weinstein's 3 stars of the game:

3. Romano
2. Bitz
1. Greening

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 10, 2007 09:24PM

Yale 1 Final
Clk  5

gate 3 Final
onin 1

Brwn 1 Final
SLU  2

Dmth 0 Final
Prin 3

Posted by: redheadfanatic (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 10, 2007 09:25PM

That's too bad; I thought Brown was gonna pull out on top.

Date: February 10, 2007 09:33PM

Standings, everybody with 4 games to go:

27 SLU
25 Clk
22 Qpc
20 Cor
19 Drt
17 Col
17 Hvd
16 Prn
14 RPI
13 Brn
13 UC
13 Yal

Gi-normous game against Quinnipiac at Lynah next Friday.

Date: February 10, 2007 09:34PM

Does anyone else feel like Davenport had a quiet 28 saves. I was sure Cornell outshot RPI.

Posted by: mhand06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 10, 2007 09:42PM

Way to go RED! banana ;-)

Posted by: TShen (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: February 10, 2007 09:49PM

oceanst41
Does anyone else feel like Davenport had a quiet 28 saves. I was sure Cornell outshot RPI.

According to USCHO, the SOG was 29-23 RPI. RPI outshot Cornell in the 3rd 16-4. It surely didn't look that way in the webcast.

Date: February 10, 2007 09:55PM

With thanks to Trotsky

27 SLU  RPI, Union, @Quin, @Prin
25 Clk  Union, RPI, @Prin, @Quin
22 Qpc  @CU, @gate, SLU, Clk
20 Cor  Quin, Prin, @Dmth, @Hvd
19 Drt  @Brwn, @Yale, CU, gate
17 Col  Prin, Quin, @Hvd, @Dmth
17 Hvd  @Yale, @Brwn, gate, CU
16 Prn  @gate, @CU, Clk, SLU
14 RPI  @SLU, @Clk, Brwn, Yale
13 Brn  Dmth, Hvd, @RPI, @Union
13 UC   @Clk, @SLU, Yale, Brwn
13 Yal  Hvd, Dmth, @Union, @RPI

Date: February 10, 2007 10:07PM

Q is going to have their work cut out for them with that finishing stretch. Although this year is really wide open, so there should be plenty of upsets.

From Quinnipiac on down to Harvard there are a lot of big games that will determine how those seeds fill out.

Ivy Title Hunt
Posted by: Chris '03 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: February 10, 2007 10:41PM

With the Princeton win, Ivy Standings look like this (with remaining opponents):
Yu 11pts(H, D)
CU 9 (P, @D, @H)
PU 8 (@C)
DC 7 (@B, @Y, C)
BU 7 (D,H)
HU 4 (@Y, @B, C)

Four horse race with Yale and Cornell controlling their own destiny for a share and Dartmouth and Brown needing help. Princeton is doing better in Ivy hockey than Ivy hoops. When's the last time that happened?

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 11, 2007 12:46AM

reilly83

3. Romano
2. Bitz
1. Greening

Greening was the best player all weekend. Gallagher and Krantz were my other stars. Thought Salmela was an excellent addition to the lineup and a huge upgrade on the powerplay.

Posted by: Omie (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 11, 2007 02:02AM

That's very difficult to tell from this weekend. I just got back from the games and the Cornell that came out on fire tonight was definitely completely different than the one on Friday. Davenport might have had 28 saves but it certainly didn't seem like he was being tested, very few if any were quality scoring chances. On the other hand, Scrivens was mostly playing without a defense in front him and an offense that allowed way too many breakaways (ie Union's 2 goals on the 3rd were a result of those). Personally I feel more comfortable in net with Scrivens. He kept us in the Union game when our team showed none of the offense it had tonight and the defense was terrible except for the PK. When was the last time we were outshot 34-25? He had a 91.2 save percentage, he played well. Tonight Davenport basically passed the puck to an RPI guy right beside our net. It was just heart-stopping.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2007 02:10AM by Omie.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: February 11, 2007 04:08AM

Jim Hyla
With thanks to Trotsky

27 SLU  RPI, Union, @Quin, @Prin
25 Clk  Union, RPI, @Prin, @Quin
22 Qpc  @CU, @gate, SLU, Clk
20 Cor  Quin, Prin, @Dmth, @Hvd
19 Drt  @Brwn, @Yale, CU, gate
17 Col  Prin, Quin, @Hvd, @Dmth
17 Hvd  @Yale, @Brwn, gate, CU
16 Prn  @gate, @CU, Clk, SLU
14 RPI  @SLU, @Clk, Brwn, Yale
13 Brn  Dmth, Hvd, @RPI, @Union
13 UC   @Clk, @SLU, Yale, Brwn
13 Yal  Hvd, Dmth, @Union, @RPI

We are now 7 points out of first place and 7 points out of last place.

SLU has clinched a bye.
Clarkson has clinched home ice.
(Quinnipiac has not, since they come in third in a three-way tie with RPI and Colgate.)

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Chris 02 (---.desm.qwest.net)
Date: February 11, 2007 09:16AM

TShen
oceanst41

According to USCHO, the SOG was 29-23 RPI. RPI outshot Cornell in the 3rd 16-4. It surely didn't look that way in the webcast.

I felt like the last 5-10 minutes of the game was spent mostly in the Cornell defensive end. Most of the shots were coming from the outside and with few chances in front. Cornell made the most of their chances in scrums in the offensive zone I felt.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 11, 2007 10:01AM

redheadfanatic
That's too bad; I thought Brown was gonna pull out on top.
Brown always says that they are going to pull out. Bastards.

Posted by: Killer (---.c3-0.nat-ubr5.sbo-nat.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: February 11, 2007 10:20AM

FWIW, Cornell's 6-goal effort last night was the top scoring performance in D1 hockey, and for the weekend, second only to North Dakota's 8 on Friday night.

Posted by: dbilmes (---.dsl.mrdnct.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 11, 2007 11:00AM

Here's a quote from RPI coach in today's Albany paper:

"We got beat by a bigger, stronger, faster team that came out with more mental fortitude and intensity," said RPI coach Seth Appert, whose team had tied Cornell at Ithaca in December. "That's the way they controlled this league for most of the last decade."

Too bad we can't play like that more often!

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: February 11, 2007 12:26PM

dbilmes

"We got beat by a bigger, stronger, faster team that came out with more mental fortitude and intensity,"

Maybe RPI Athletics should have ordered more thunderstix, and their fans worn more white.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 11, 2007 12:29PM

RichH
dbilmes

"We got beat by a bigger, stronger, faster team that came out with more mental fortitude and intensity,"

Maybe RPI Athletics should have ordered more thunderstix, and their fans worn more white.

Does anyone have an idea as to why thundersticks are allowed in the rink? Noisemakers are not allowed and yet RIP has passed these damn sticks twice now in the past few years.cuss

They totally covered the Cornell cheers from my seat and really PO'd me once again.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (74.71.17.---)
Date: February 11, 2007 12:57PM

marty
Does anyone have an idea as to why thundersticks are allowed in the rink? Noisemakers are not allowed and yet RIP has passed these damn sticks twice now in the past few years.cuss

They totally covered the Cornell cheers from my seat and really PO'd me once again.

For the same reason that Clarkson's, and others, band plays while the game is playing. No one seems to care enough to enforce it. When I mentioned it to their band last year, I was not so politely told to butt off. Someone needs to talk to the ECAC heads and get them set straight. (and we can't play a cowbell in an NCAA game)

Thunderstx suck for many reasons...
Posted by: TimV (---.amc.edu)
Date: February 11, 2007 02:09PM

RPI used 'em not to generate their own cheers but to mainly suppress ours, especially in the second half of the game. They make nonspecific noise, not readilly identifying suppoert for a paerticular team, as a chant does - very lazy. On top of that they obstruct view of the game, and once their fans in our section realized there were Cornell fans nearby, they made sure to use them with full arm extension to be as obnoxious as possible. Next time I'm bringing a pin. flipd

Great anecdote: 35ish year old RPI guy in front of us says "If I knew you were Cornell fans I would have been even more of an asshole than I was." My friends wife responds "Oh don't worry, you're doing fine."banana

Posted by: BigRedBrouhaha (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 11, 2007 03:26PM

From what I've heard through rumors and the like, I thought that RPI gives out one thunderstick (which is not considered a noisemaker) then sells individual thundersticks inside. This way they get around the restriction.

Has anyone else heard this, Or mi talking out of my ass here??

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 11, 2007 04:04PM

BigRedBrouhaha
From what I've heard through rumors and the like, I thought that RPI gives out one thunderstick (which is not considered a noisemaker) then sells individual thundersticks inside. This way they get around the restriction.

I seem to recall the giving-away-one-Thunderstick thing, but not the selling-one-Thunderstick thing. Still, your explanation makes more sense than just having half the crowd being in possession of a viable pair of Thundersticks.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 11, 2007 04:17PM

BigRedBrouhaha
From what I've heard through rumors and the like, I thought that RPI gives out one thunderstick (which is not considered a noisemaker) then sells individual thundersticks inside. This way they get around the restriction. Has anyone else heard this, Or mi talking out of my ass here??

At last year's game, they gave me a pair. What you heard might be urban legend. Can that term apply to Troy?

Posted by: redhair34 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 11, 2007 04:30PM

calgARI '07
Greening was the best player all weekend. Gallagher and Krantz were my other stars. Thought Salmela was an excellent addition to the lineup and a huge upgrade on the powerplay.

Honorable Mentions to Krueger and McCutcheon. Salmela looks to be the answer to one of the points on the PP. I hope the coaches can find the right man for the other point.

Posted by: cth95 (75.69.68.---)
Date: February 11, 2007 04:31PM

UVM has Thuderstix sometimes too, but I can't remember if they give out 1 or 2. I went to a game a couple of months ago because someone gave me a ticket, but I don't think they had any that time. They were giving them out at the last Cornell game I went to at Gutterson.

FWIW: I never opened mine.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2007 04:33PM by cth95.

Posted by: TimV (---.amc.edu)
Date: February 11, 2007 04:53PM

They had placed them on the seats, there were two on the seats I saw.

Uninflated.

The RIP fans had to blow them up, which was difficult because they don't blow, they just....whistle

Posted by: cth95 (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: February 11, 2007 05:03PM

At UVM they hand Thunderstix out to everyone as they enter the building. That is the only reason I had one (or two, whichever it was). They also occasionally handed out things like a Smuggler's Notch one-day lift ticket. I would have definitely used that if I had time that year. I still have a UVM puck from another give-away day. Now that I think of it, they pretty much always hand out something.

Posted by: pfibiger (---.br1.glv.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 11, 2007 05:27PM

calgARI '07
reilly83

3. Romano
2. Bitz
1. Greening

I thought that Milo played a great game against RPI and the Romano/Milo duo generated a couple of amazing chances aside from the Milo goal.

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 11, 2007 05:34PM

Jim Hyla
marty

For the same reason that Clarkson's, and others, band plays while the game is playing. No one seems to care enough to enforce it. When I mentioned it to their band last year, I was not so politely told to butt off. Someone needs to talk to the ECAC heads and get them set straight. (and we can't play a cowbell in an NCAA game)

you're still grumpy about that? get over it Jim, it's our rink.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: February 11, 2007 06:00PM

BigRedBrouhaha

Yeah, that's exactly what happened for the 2003 version of the "hey, pretty please show up to this one game and be real fans" game (the suckers in Troy like to call it the "Freakout";). Their bribe...I mean, "gift" was a single Thunderstick, and they sold others for $1 inside. There's probably some added caution about what gets approved as a hand-out since the NCAA noisemaker rule came about from this particular fabricated event. See the intro paragraph and the 2003 gift here:
[www.augenblick.org]

Saturday night, a pair of lamestix were placed limp on every damn seat except in the visitors sections. Most of the noise during play were the little kids (Troylets?) expending energy and whacking each other with them. They were also used to try to drown out our cheers. But basically, it's pretty sad when you have to rely on a toy to make noise at a freaking hockey game. Clapping and shouting apparently is too complex to handle for the regulars at Houston.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2007 06:02PM by RichH.

Date: February 11, 2007 06:05PM

Dpperk29
Jim Hyla
marty

Unfortunately, it's that kind of thought that give alot of people bad ideas about Clk. A rule is a rule. If the band is not supposed to play during the play of the game, then it's not supposed to, irrespective of whether it's your rink or not.

The funniest thing I ever saw about the band was when Ref Pierre Belanger (sp?) got tired of it and went crashing into the glass right in front of the Clk band. They stopped.

If a ref would announce there will be a penalty if it happens again, that would be the end of it. We'd all like to do what ever we want to, but we can't. At Cornell we've learned that we can be given a penalty if we throw objects on the ice after the first period starts. Many fans on this forum complain about it, but it's the rule and we have to live by it.

What bothers me, and others, is the we can do what we want, it's our rink attitude. And, no as long as we have to abide by the rules, and our band does, and does it well (all you have to do is watch the conductor as he is watching to see when play starts), I won't get over it as you say.

And yes this is a plug for our pep band, I'm proud of them. Keep up the good work.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: February 11, 2007 06:16PM

TShen
oceanst41

It's my impression that the scorekeeper at Houston is typically pretty generous.

One thing on RPI's play...it's a good thing they didn't have many accurate shooters. One thing about sitting in the visitors' bleacher sections (probably the only good thing)...you get some good looks at the targets the forwards are trying to pick. There were several times Davenport happened to leave some really wide open corners to shoot at. Most of them went horribly wide, thankfully. It's possible he could have gotten over for the saves, but I thought, from the angle I was viewing, a sharper-shooting opponent could've picked a few of the corners. Otherwise, decent play and they played well with a lead, unlike Friday.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.caltech.edu)
Date: February 11, 2007 06:38PM

Apprently D3 basketball refs in southern california (some of the worst basketball refs around) know about the noisemaker rules. Got told we couldn't use a cowbell during a game last night. I guess it is a lot easier for a ref to tell the crowd stuff at a basketball game though.

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.dsl2.mon.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 11, 2007 07:01PM

Dpperk29

Oh, is that how it works? Any chance you could explain that to Rich S? I think that would do away with about 98% of his posts here. :-P

Posted by: ajec1 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 11, 2007 07:46PM

JasonN95
Dpperk29

Oh, is that how it works? Any chance you could explain that to Rich S? I think that would do away with about 98% of his posts here. :-P

Hmm, seems a storm might be a-brewin'.

Honestly, I could complain until I was blue in the face about the drumming while in play (poor man's Cleveland Indian fans?), however, there appears to be nothing anyone can do about it (short of Schafer...if he complains to the ref it would be taken care of). You can get away with stuff if you live on the frontier apparently.

Date: February 11, 2007 10:33PM

RichH
It's my impression that the scorekeeper at Houston is typically pretty generous.

It was legendarily so, in the 80's, both for assists (a goal on which an opposing player accidentally passed the puck to an RPI skater who went the length of the ice and beat the goalie still got two assists) and shots (50 at Houston = 35 anywhere else). To be fair, both practices extended to both teams, so I don't think it was intended to blatantly pad the home skaters' stats (see Maine and Vermont as prime culprits), but was just the eccentric opinion of an off-ice official who saw the game a bit differently than all his peers.

It's hard to believe that guy is still there 20-25 years later. Maybe he passed the Masonic Handshake on to his successor, or maybe you just saw a weird night.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: February 11, 2007 10:43PM

Trotsky
RichH

It was legendarily so, in the 80's, both for assists (a goal on which an opposing player accidentally passed the puck to an RPI skater who went the length of the ice and beat the goalie still got two assists) and shots (50 at Houston = 35 anywhere else). To be fair, both practices extended to both teams, so I don't think it was intended to blatantly pad the home skaters' stats (see Maine and Vermont as prime culprits), but was just the eccentric opinion of an off-ice official who saw the game a bit differently than all his peers.

It's hard to believe that guy is still there 20-25 years later. Maybe he passed the Masonic Handshake on to his successor, or maybe you just saw a weird night.

20-25 years is a blip compared to the longevity of some of the characters still lurking around Cornell hockey.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: ursusminor (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 11, 2007 11:35PM

Just curious, how does the quality of the broadcast that RPI produced compare to Cornell's? I am not interested in the relative costs, the announcers' voices or knowledge of the game, or whether the broadcast was too RPI-centric, just video and audio quality, dropouts, loss of signal, camera angles and techniques, etc.

I have never seen Cornell's broadcast, and thus can't compare them. I do think that RPI's broadcast suffered from people standing in front of a camera on several occasions. I don't care for the perspective from the ice-level camera. I also thought that it didn't seem like the camera was focused well.

BTW, there was a short survey which was supposed to be filled out before starting the feed. I assume that it could be ignored, but I will have to start beating the bushes to find out how many RPI fans and how many Cornell fans were watching.

Date: February 12, 2007 12:14AM

ursusminor
Just curious, how does the quality of the broadcast that RPI produced compare to Cornell's?

The quality was ok for a free feed, but definitely more grainy than the Cornell CSTV feed. It looked a little like an artsy view or the beginning of a fade-out, except that it stayed the same. I couldn't really see the numbers or colors well. I didn't realize I could access your feed until the 3rd period, so I can't speak for the whole game, but I don't think I had one freeze-up. The motion was actually very smooth.

I agree on the ice-level camera. It was an interesting angle, but you can't see much from there.

ursusminor
BTW, there was a short survey which was supposed to be filled out before starting the feed. I assume that it could be ignored, but I will have to start beating the bushes to find out how many RPI fans and how many Cornell fans were watching.

I checked the box for rooting for Cornell. I will be curious to see what the end results are as well.

Date: February 12, 2007 12:19AM

Bell, horn, and megaphone (even after the 1987/88 rule)? Those must have been wonderful nights for the ears.

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: February 12, 2007 01:59AM

cth95
ursusminor
Just curious, how does the quality of the broadcast that RPI produced compare to Cornell's?

The quality was ok for a free feed, but definitely more grainy than the Cornell CSTV feed. It looked a little like an artsy view or the beginning of a fade-out, except that it stayed the same. I couldn't really see the numbers or colors well. I didn't realize I could access your feed until the 3rd period, so I can't speak for the whole game, but I don't think I had one freeze-up. The motion was actually very smooth.

I agree on the ice-level camera. It was an interesting angle, but you can't see much from there.

Agreed on all counts, including that I can only speak for the last 10 min or so. I'll add that, like Cornell, it often seemed too zoomed in, resulting in a lot of jerky movement, and that, like Cornell, the corner cam was overused, resulting in momentary confusion every time they switched angles as I reacquired the puck and my sense of the play.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 12, 2007 07:33AM

Liz '05
cth95
ursusminor

Agreed on all counts, including that I can only speak for the last 10 min or so. I'll add that, like Cornell, it often seemed too zoomed in, resulting in a lot of jerky movement, and that, like Cornell, the corner cam was overused, resulting in momentary confusion every time they switched angles as I reacquired the puck and my sense of the play.
And a third vote. I had both the RPI webcast of hockey and the Cornell webcast of basketball running simultaneously, and the CSTV production--hard to believe as this may seem--was brighter, crisper, had more vivid color, and froze up less frequently.

For some reason I can't explain, the CSTV basketball webcasts are much superior to the hockey webcasts (lighting?) and even the wrestling webcasts seem of better quality, with fewer glitches. The absence of announcing or graphics telling the viewer who's wrestling, what the individual match score is, etc., does make it difficult to follow the matches, however.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.nrl.navy.mil)
Date: February 12, 2007 08:22AM

cth95
I checked the box for rooting for Cornell. I will be curious to see what the end results are as well.

from Pete Pedone, the RPI Alumni Coordinator who set this up:

The numbers aren't in for the Cornell Webcast, but the Freakout numbers are logged.

There were 854 viewers of the Webcast and of those numbers, 149 were SLU fans.

I am expecting similar numbers for the White Out Webcast.

Peter

I would be surprised if the Cornell numbers aren't bigger than the SLU numbers considering the relative size of the student and alumni fan bases.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login