Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Retired Number

Posted by johnny923 
Retired Number
Posted by: johnny923 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 05, 2007 08:54PM

Just a quick question on the Nieuwendyk presentation on Saturday. They announced that they will be retiring his number 25 next fall. Does anybody know if anybody else is getting their number retired (Dryden?), or is it just for Joey so far?

Re: Retired Number
Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (129.2.170.---)
Date: February 05, 2007 09:07PM

No idea. I'm just hoping they don't hang one of those ugly 80s jerseys from the rafters.

Posted by: ebilmes (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 05, 2007 09:21PM

Ben Rocky 04
No idea. I'm just hoping they don't hang one of those ugly 80s jerseys from the rafters.

Maybe they'll retire his number on a Nike Swift.

barf

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: February 05, 2007 10:09PM

Dryden would be the only other obvious candidate for retiring. But since the team doesn't allow non-traditional hockey numbers and there are only a few of these available for goalies it would be kind of hard to retire Ken's.

Posted by: redice (---.usadatanet.net)
Date: February 05, 2007 10:24PM

KeithK
Dryden would be the only other obvious candidate for retiring. But since the team doesn't allow non-traditional hockey numbers and there are only a few of these available for goalies it would be kind of hard to retire Ken's.

Lance Nethery would warrant consideration, as well. I believe he is still the ECACHL career points leader. I don't know how they would deal with the need for non-traditional numbers.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.ashbva.adelphia.net)
Date: February 05, 2007 10:44PM

redice
Lance Nethery would warrant consideration, as well. I believe he is still the ECACHL career points leader. I don't know how they would deal with the need for non-traditional numbers.

Nethery's 271 was the career points lead for the ECAC D-1 as of 1997-98, and I don't think it's been exceeded since then.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2007 10:45PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Roy 82 (---.SRI.COM)
Date: February 05, 2007 11:41PM

Trotsky
redice

Nethery's 271 was the career points lead for the ECAC D-1 as of 1997-98, and I don't think it's been exceeded since then.

And perhaps more importantly, if I am not mistaken he still hold the career NCAA record for points per game (which for some reason is annoyingly hard for me to find online).

Posted by: CUlater 89 (208.97.246.---)
Date: February 06, 2007 09:52AM

Usually, you retire a player's number for what he or she accomplished while in the uniform. If that's the basis here, there are a number of other players who had outstanding careers at Cornell who would warrant the same honor. I assume it's being done to capitalize on the recruiting value (Joe is a lot better known to recruits than Dryden, let alone Nethery, Tredway, Tufford, Ferguson, Lodboa etc.), but not retiring Dryden's number first seems like a slight.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2007 02:57PM by CUlater 89.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 06, 2007 09:56AM

CUlater 89
Usually, you retire a player's number for what he or she accomplished while in the uniform. If that's the basis here, there are a number of other players who had outstanding careers at Cornell who would warrant the same honor. I assume it being done to capitalize on the recruiting value (Joe is a lot better know to recruits than Dryden, let alone Nethery, Tredway, Tufford, Ferguson, Lodboa etc.), but not retiring Dryden's number first seems like a slight.
Agree--especially re Dryden. Joe was a terrific player at Cornell but there were many others at least equally deserving based on their accomplishments wearing red and white.

Posted by: brm93 (146.142.66.---)
Date: February 06, 2007 12:48PM

Nethery's numbers are impressive. In 1978-79 (unless the source is wrong), he scored 65 points in 27 games with 0 PIM, not to mention a sensational 83 points in 77-78 (with 12 PIM). In the NHL, he played parts of two seasons with the Rangers as well as a few games with the Gretzky/Messier led Oilers in 81-82.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: February 06, 2007 02:58PM

Roy 82
And perhaps more importantly, if I am not mistaken he still hold the career NCAA record for points per game (which for some reason is annoyingly hard for me to find online).

I know he holds the official D-1 program record for most points per game. IIRC, a guy at either Army or Middlebury in the late 50's / early 60's ran up an other-worldly number of points per game, primarily on goals (back when 1 assist was the norm and 2 a rarity).

Date: February 06, 2007 03:04PM

The Middlebury player was Phil Latreille. He played 85 games in 1959, 60 and 61. 214 goals, 80 assists, 294 points, 3.45 ppg. (Source)
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2007 03:10PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: rstott (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: February 08, 2007 09:50PM

Latreille and his Middlebury team beat Cornell 15-1 in 1959.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 10, 2007 10:30AM

rstott
The reffing in that game was awful.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.ashbva.adelphia.net)
Date: February 10, 2007 11:58AM

ugarte
rstott

Cornell's disallowed goal in the first period would have turned the tide.

Date: February 10, 2007 01:03PM

Trotsky
ugarte
rstott

As would have the missed penalty shot.

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 10, 2007 02:44PM

Al DeFlorio
Trotsky
ugarte
rstott

And they refused the change a PP squad that clearly wasnt working.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: KenP (---.nws.noaa.gov)
Date: February 13, 2007 07:34AM

French Rage
Al DeFlorio
Trotsky
ugarte
rstott

Yes but despite all this there were some who felt this performance was the turning point, and Cornell was poised to run the table from that point on.

Date: February 13, 2007 12:56PM

KenP
French Rage
Al DeFlorio
Trotsky
ugarte
rstott

Yes but despite all this there were some who felt this performance was the turning point, and Cornell was poised to run the table from that point on.
But only if they stuck to the goalie rotation.

Posted by: flyersgolf (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: February 13, 2007 04:18PM

No numbers should be retired. Based on Cornell hockey careers Joey was great but not close to the greatest. Dryden, Nethery, D. Ferguson, Treadway,and Lodboa the greatest college defensemen of all time as claimed by many. Joeys career really took off after Cornell. If you start retiring numbers the rafters are going to get crowded and should. I was there for the teams of the 60's, 70's and 80's there are over a dozen deserving players. Joey is in the top ten greatest players at Cornell no question. Joey was the best player Cornell had seen in a while when he came through. I love Joey, but if his number is retired there are at least 12 others that are as deserving, soley considering the performance they gave Cornell. I would be much more inclined to have a banner with the number on it calling them Lynah Legends.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: February 13, 2007 04:44PM

flyersgolf
No numbers should be retired. Based on Cornell hockey careers Joey was great but not close to the greatest. Dryden, Nethery, D. Ferguson, Treadway,and Lodboa the greatest college defensemen of all time as claimed by many. Joeys career really took off after Cornell. If you start retiring numbers the rafters are going to get crowded and should. I was there for the teams of the 60's, 70's and 80's there are over a dozen deserving players. Joey is in the top ten greatest players at Cornell no question. Joey was the best player Cornell had seen in a while when he came through. I love Joey, but if his number is retired there are at least 12 others that are as deserving, soley considering the performance they gave Cornell. I would be much more inclined to have a banner with the number on it calling them Lynah Legends.

If you feel strongly about it, there's a petition at [cutradition.com] you can sign...

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: February 13, 2007 04:55PM

I think it's pretty clear why Nieuwendyk is getting a retired number when other guys have not. Joe finished his Hall of Fame caliber hockey career at a time when retiring numbers is very much in vogue. Dryden retired at a time when it much less common and probably was unheard of in college athletics.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 13, 2007 05:53PM

We have an Athletic Hall of Fame. If they want a Hockey Hall of Fame, so be it, but don't retire numbers. Do we think Coach Harkness belongs in a Hockey Hall of Fame. No number did he.

Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: February 13, 2007 05:53PM

KeithK
I think it's pretty clear why Nieuwendyk is getting a retired number when other guys have not. Joe finished his Hall of Fame caliber hockey career at a time when retiring numbers is very much in vogue. Dryden retired at a time when it much less common and probably was unheard of in college athletics.
More pointedly, Nieuwendyk finished his NHL career now, when the current students are, um, current students and more likely to be familiar with him and his career.

eLynah may be full of hockey historians but the general population - even at Cornell - isn't. As important as Dryden and the other great players mentioned are to the history of the Cornell hockey program, they simply won't generate the same level of campus interest. Perhaps it is the responsibility of the AD's office to be the grown-ups, and to start with the real lions of Big Red history (Ken Dryden, Ed Marinaro, etc.) before the more recent superstars but I can't say that I blame them for starting with a sure-fire NHL Hall of Famer who is only as low as he is on the Cornell career rankings because (1) he was such an obvious talent that the NHL had to steal him away before his senior year and (2) he lived in an era when it was possible for a player to leave before graduating.

That said, I signed the petition.

Date: February 13, 2007 05:56PM

ugarte
Perhaps it is the responsibility of the AD's office to be the grown-ups, and to start with the real lions of Big Red history (Ken Dryden, Ed Marinaro, etc.) before the more recent superstars
They did that in the Hall of Fame.

Posted by: Tom Lento (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: February 13, 2007 09:36PM

KeithK

Another possible reason:

Have Dryden et al volunteered their time to help the team develop on-ice skills? Wasn't Nieuwendyk effectively acting as an assistant coach during the strike, and working with the team on face-offs and things of that nature during the summers? Retiring his number might be a sign of gratitude for *everything* he's done for the program, on and off the ice, both while he was a student here and over the course of his NHL career.

I don't know if that's a valid reason to retire someone's number, and if that is the reason I think it'd be nice if they drove that point home a little more forcefully, but that might be part of the thinking there.

Posted by: Swampy (131.128.116.---)
Date: February 14, 2007 05:15PM

flyersgolf

I don't think it's totally inappropriate to honor someone for going on to do great things after their time on the hill. Schools that award honorary doctorates (we don't do that either), routinely do so to people who aren't even graduates of the institution. If someone were a terrific physics major while at Cornell and then went on to win the Nobel Prize, wouldn't it be appropriate for the Physics Department to honor them?

By this logic, only Ken Dryden is in the same category as Joey. Of course, whether retiring their numbers is the appropriate way to honor them or not is another story.

Date: February 14, 2007 06:56PM

Swampy
flyersgolf

I don't think it's totally inappropriate to honor someone for going on to do great things after their time on the hill. Schools that award honorary doctorates (we don't do that either), routinely do so to people who aren't even graduates of the institution. If someone were a terrific physics major while at Cornell and then went on to win the Nobel Prize, wouldn't it be appropriate for the Physics Department to honor them?

By this logic, only Ken Dryden is in the same category as Joey. Of course, whether retiring their numbers is the appropriate way to honor them or not is another story.
And of course that is exactly what all of us are discussing. We all agree that honoring him is correct; for me that belongs in the Hall of Fame. Retire the number, no.

So you see, you might agree with many of us, even though your post sounded like a disagree. I don't think anyone thinks it's inappropriate to honor people for what they do after grad.rolleyes

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: February 14, 2007 08:30PM

Jim Hyla
And of course that is exactly what all of us are discussing. We all agree that honoring him is correct; for me that belongs in the Hall of Fame. Retire the number, no.

I agree completely with Jim, and I actually feel quite strongly about this. I haven't spoken up mainly because I couldn't have said how I feel any better than the text at [www.cutradition.com] has already done. Also, I knew once I started writing, it would probably turn into something resembling a reactionary manifesto. But then again, the support that the petition hasn't gotten has been a little disappointing to me. Thus I begin:

Look...perhaps I'm kidding myself in the athlete/celebrity world in which we live, but I'm still married to the idea of keeping collegiate athletics as close as possible to the amateur ideal of the fading existence of the "student-athlete." I'm as proud as anyone of the people who came through the university that I attended, and love to show that pride to the college football/basketball "fans" who buy hats and foam fingers of institutions of higher education that they never intend to attend. Those who perpetuate the exploitation of our educational system by people who have decided to use schools as certain professional sports' "minor leagues" and whore themselves for the almighty buck. *huff* [/steps away from the soapbox]

My point: I love all the great players who chose for one reason or another to attend Cornell and play hockey. Even some of the not-so-great. Retiring numbers is such a thing for professional sports. I'm of the opinion that collegiate uniform numbers should not be retired, except in such circumstances that an event happened that so changed a program emotionally that nobody would want to wear the number again out of respect. Such is the case with the two retired Lax jerseys. Or Travis Roy at BU. Or Syracuse's #44 in football. Joe Nieuwendyk's #25, while worn by one of the best and most successful and classy athletes to come to Ithaca, shouldn't be holier-than-thou. On top of all the players I love, I also love the program's tradition. I like to think of how excited the team was to learn about the great players who wore their numbers before them. I see the great uniform numbers as a torch to be passed (maybe that's too romantic, but I'm trying to explain why this is important to me).

1-31.

That's my TEAM. No individual is above that, just like nobody's skating around with #91 because that's what he wore in Juniors. Retiring numbers is so...Florida State University. If we retire numbers, we may as well just switch to the Nike Swift jersey with crazy star striping, chevrons, and shimmer jersey material, and slap together a black 3rd jersey with a huge Huggy Bear off-centered and space-age fonts with numbers on the shoulder. Yeah! (sorry, got carried away again.)

I'm all for honoring the Cornell hockey greats in the renovated Lynah. There's a nice, thick edge along the floor of the mezzanine that faces the entire rink. Let's do a "Ring of Honor" instead of retiring uniform numbers. The original thread already had people making lists of numbers to retire once we do the first one. Let's not be that school. Hang the name and number on the walls, and let the skaters lining up on the blue line during introductions be able to see that and feel some pride of having the same number on his back.

Heck, I'll even throw this out there: for the first full season of the renovated Lynah, let's bring back some of the legends that generations of fans haven't had the chance to meet or hear about. One per home weekend. Celebrate all the greats. Nieuwendyk, Dryden, Nethery, Lodboa, Harkness. We all know the names, but we've never had a chance to give them our thanks in a proper Lynah roar. In 1995, the 1970 team came back, and it was pretty special.

If you agree with the gist of what I've said here, sign the petition. Don't retire the numbers.
[www.cutradition.com]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2007 08:36PM by RichH.

Date: February 14, 2007 08:46PM

RichH
I'm all for honoring the Cornell hockey greats in the renovated Lynah. There's a nice, thick edge along the floor of the mezzanine that faces the entire rink. Let's do a "Ring of Honor" instead of retiring uniform numbers. The original thread already had people making lists of numbers to retire once we do the first one. Let's not be that school. Hang the name and number on the walls, and let the skaters lining up on the blue line during introductions be able to see that and feel some pride of having the same number on his back.

If you agree with the gist of what I've said here, sign the petition. Don't retire the numbers.
[www.cutradition.com]
Great idea and totally agree.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 14, 2007 09:00PM

I would add, as a point of clarification, that Cornell has granted exactly 2 honorary degrees in its history, to David Starr Jordan '72 (first president of Stanford) and the introduction-less ADW, both at the same time (1886), and with an unwritten return to a policy of not granting honorary degrees that has stood for the last 121 years. See Morris Bishop's "A History of Cornell", pp. 262-263.

The reason I mention this is that it is not without precedent in Cornell's history to retire Joe's number and then never retire another number. The circumstances are even the same, with the honor having already been announced without prior community approval, making it impossible to avoid bad feelings were it to be revoked at this point. So, let's just use this opportunity to inform the Cornell administration and the AD that no further such honors should be bestowed because it goes against long-standing tradition.

Kyle

Date: February 14, 2007 09:11PM

RichH
Jim Hyla

I agree completely with Jim, and I actually feel quite strongly about this. I haven't spoken up mainly because I couldn't have said how I feel any better than the text at [www.cutradition.com] has already done. Also, I knew once I started writing, it would probably turn into something resembling a reactionary manifesto. But then again, the support that the petition hasn't gotten has been a little disappointing to me. Thus I begin:

Look...perhaps I'm kidding myself in the athlete/celebrity world in which we live, but I'm still married to the idea of keeping collegiate athletics as close as possible to the amateur ideal of the fading existence of the "student-athlete." I'm as proud as anyone of the people who came through the university that I attended, and love to show that pride to the college football/basketball "fans" who buy hats and foam fingers of institutions of higher education that they never intend to attend. Those who perpetuate the exploitation of our educational system by people who have decided to use schools as certain professional sports' "minor leagues" and whore themselves for the almighty buck. *huff* [/steps away from the soapbox]

My point: I love all the great players who chose for one reason or another to attend Cornell and play hockey. Even some of the not-so-great. Retiring numbers is such a thing for professional sports. I'm of the opinion that collegiate uniform numbers should not be retired, except in such circumstances that an event happened that so changed a program emotionally that nobody would want to wear the number again out of respect. Such is the case with the two retired Lax jerseys. Or Travis Roy at BU. Or Syracuse's #44 in football. Joe Nieuwendyk's #25, while worn by one of the best and most successful and classy athletes to come to Ithaca, shouldn't be holier-than-thou. On top of all the players I love, I also love the program's tradition. I like to think of how excited the team was to learn about the great players who wore their numbers before them. I see the great uniform numbers as a torch to be passed (maybe that's too romantic, but I'm trying to explain why this is important to me).

1-31.

That's my TEAM. No individual is above that, just like nobody's skating around with #91 because that's what he wore in Juniors. Retiring numbers is so...Florida State University. If we retire numbers, we may as well just switch to the Nike Swift jersey with crazy star striping, chevrons, and shimmer jersey material, and slap together a black 3rd jersey with a huge Huggy Bear off-centered and space-age fonts with numbers on the shoulder. Yeah! (sorry, got carried away again.)

Heck, I'll even throw this out there: for the first full season of the renovated Lynah, let's bring back some of the legends that generations of fans haven't had the chance to meet or hear about. One per home weekend. Celebrate all the greats. Nieuwendyk, Dryden, Nethery, Lodboa, Harkness. We all know the names, but we've never had a chance to give them our thanks in a proper Lynah roar. In 1995, the 1970 team came back, and it was pretty special.

[www.cutradition.com]
What Rich said. Very, very well done.

Date: February 15, 2007 01:49AM

RichH
No individual is above that, just like nobody's skating around with #91 because that's what he wore in Juniors.

Or 13, for that matter. (We had that discussion about Moulson a few years ago.)

Date: February 15, 2007 09:59AM

krose
I would add, as a point of clarification, that Cornell has granted exactly 2 honorary degrees in its history, to David Starr Jordan '72 (first president of Stanford) and the introduction-less ADW, both at the same time (1886), and with an unwritten return to a policy of not granting honorary degrees that has stood for the last 121 years. See Morris Bishop's "A History of Cornell", pp. 262-263.

The reason I mention this is that it is not without precedent in Cornell's history to retire Joe's number and then never retire another number. The circumstances are even the same, with the honor having already been announced without prior community approval, making it impossible to avoid bad feelings were it to be revoked at this point. So, let's just use this opportunity to inform the Cornell administration and the AD that no further such honors should be bestowed because it goes against long-standing tradition.

Kyle

Not to nitpick, but I think the controversy over those two honorary degrees also ended the presidency of Charles Kendall Adams. Maybe we can use this to get Andy Noel fired.... ? upto

Regardless, I don't think there is any way we're going to get this retiring revoked. Kyle is right, if you seriously disagree with this, this is the opportunity to make sure it never happens again. Personally, I trust Schafer and other alumni of the program to make sure we don't go on a number retiring spree, and for that reason, I am refraining from signing the petition.

PS: Whose petition is this anyway? Why was it posted with a new, anonymous posting name?

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: February 15, 2007 11:51AM

jtwcornell91
RichH
No individual is above that, just like nobody's skating around with #91 because that's what he wore in Juniors.

That tradition is stupid.

(The one about #13, not the one about high numbers.)

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 15, 2007 12:09PM

Ben Rocky 04
Personally, I trust Schafer and other alumni of the program to make sure we don't go on a number retiring spree, and for that reason, I am refraining from signing the petition.

Not trying to pick a fight but what gives you such confidence?

Posted by: ursusminor (---.nrl.navy.mil)
Date: February 15, 2007 12:13PM

Although I don't know if he asked for the number at Cornell, Shane Hynes didn't wear #57 as he did in Juniors. I always thought that would have been appropriate.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: February 15, 2007 12:25PM

He did, and was assured he'd get it while being recruited, then obviously discovered otherwise once he got here.

Date: February 15, 2007 12:35PM

ursusminor
Although I don't know if he asked for the number at Cornell, Shane Hynes didn't wear #57 as he did in Juniors. I always thought that would have been appropriate.
How so? I don't get the reference.

Update: I am an idiot.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2007 12:58PM by ugarte.

Posted by: BCrespi (209.191.175.---)
Date: February 15, 2007 12:50PM

He was especially pissed-off when they didn't spell his name correctly while he was here, in addition to not giving him his long-assoicated number. Jeez, looking back, no wonder he left. Unfortunately for Shane, his new team seems to have gone with the Cornell spelling as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2007 12:50PM by BCrespi.

Date: February 15, 2007 12:59PM

ugarte
ursusminor

Heinz 57

[en.wikipedia.org]

Date: February 15, 2007 01:37PM

nyc94
Ben Rocky 04
Personally, I trust Schafer and other alumni of the program to make sure we don't go on a number retiring spree, and for that reason, I am refraining from signing the petition.

I think trusting those involved in the program enough not to make your voice heard is silly. I agree that the petition probably has no chance of success (unless Joe himself signed it) but it's a way of speaking out on the issue. That's why I signed it.

I do think Schafer is unlikely to go on a number retiring spree. But who knows what the next guy will do? Once you've set the precedent it's a lot easier to continue.

Date: February 15, 2007 01:39PM

nyc94
ugarte
ursusminor

Heinz 57

[en.wikipedia.org]
I said, "Update:..."!

Date: February 15, 2007 01:52PM

KeithK
nyc94
Ben Rocky 04

I think trusting those involved in the program enough not to make your voice heard is silly. I agree that the petition probably has no chance of success (unless Joe himself signed it) but it's a way of speaking out on the issue. That's why I signed it.

I do think Schafer is unlikely to go on a number retiring spree. But who knows what the next guy will do? Once you've set the precedent it's a lot easier to continue.

NYC94- Under Schafer(the only coach I've really seen run the team), this team has been all about tradition: the rink renovation respected its history, players have to research the history of their numbers, we've had one number over 31 > these point to not retiring more than a few numbers, if any more, because then we'll be having numbers over 31 all the time.

Keith- You're right, its silly of me to trust people hired by Day Hall to run something I care about. Schafer I trust, the next guy I dont(unless its Casey Jones or some other Cornellian). I'll sign the petition.

Date: February 15, 2007 02:03PM

ugarte
nyc94
ugarte
ursusminor

Heinz 57

[en.wikipedia.org]
I said, "Update:..."!

In my defense, my reply posted at 12:59 and your edit is at 12:58. I probably hit "quote" around 12:57 so I didn't see your edit until it was too late.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.akamai.com)
Date: February 15, 2007 02:41PM

BCrespi
He was especially pissed-off when they didn't spell his name correctly while he was here,
Can someone explain this to me? I must have missed the discussion long ago, but it seems self-evident that a person would have 100% control over how their own name is spelled, so I don't understand what the issue was here.

Kyle

Date: February 15, 2007 04:17PM

krose
BCrespi
He was especially pissed-off when they didn't spell his name correctly while he was here,
Can someone explain this to me? I must have missed the discussion long ago, but it seems self-evident that a person would have 100% control over how their own name is spelled, so I don't understand what the issue was here.

Kyle
Quick, likely explanation: You didn't get BCrespi's joke.

Posted by: BCrespi (209.191.175.---)
Date: February 15, 2007 04:32PM

Sorry, it wasn't a very good joke, but I figured I'd go with it.

To clarify:
Hynes = Heinz
57 = number of flavors back in the day, made part of the "Heinz 57" trademark/marketing strategy.

/bang

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.cmbrmaks.akamai.com)
Date: February 15, 2007 05:11PM

BCrespi
Sorry, it wasn't a very good joke, but I figured I'd go with it.

To clarify:
Hynes = Heinz
57 = number of flavors back in the day, made part of the "Heinz 57" trademark/marketing strategy.

/bang
I got the 57 thing, but I didn't realize you were not being serious about the spelling of the name. I've heard of stranger things.

Being fooled by this is somewhat akin to being fooled by someone yelling "BOMB!" in a coffee shop and then laughing when you dive under the nearest table. I don't feel especially bad.

Kyle

Date: February 15, 2007 05:26PM

krose
[Being fooled by this is somewhat akin to being fooled by someone yelling "BOMB!" in a coffee shop and then laughing when you dive under the nearest table. I don't feel especially bad.
Not really. The "Unfortunately for Shane, his new team seems to have gone with the Cornell spelling as well" line should have been a give away.

It's good not to feel bad though. It's just a message board post among friends.

Date: February 15, 2007 06:37PM

KeithK
krose
[Being fooled by this is somewhat akin to being fooled by someone yelling "BOMB!" in a coffee shop and then laughing when you dive under the nearest table. I don't feel especially bad.
Not really. The "Unfortunately for Shane, his new team seems to have gone with the Cornell spelling as well" line should have been a give away.

It's good not to feel bad though. It's just a message board post among friends.
Friends? I don't know what you're talking about, I hate all you assholes.

Date: February 15, 2007 06:53PM

Josh '99
jtwcornell91
RichH

I disagree. Superstition is one of the things that makes sports fun.

Posted by: ftyuv (---.techtarget.com)
Date: February 16, 2007 09:55AM

jtwcornell91
Josh '99
jtwcornell91
RichH

Totally. If we kept things in sports rational and focused, we'd only have material two days a week. Superstition is but one of the many spices in the gravy covering the turkey of athletics.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.mtholyoke.edu)
Date: February 16, 2007 10:56AM

ftyuv
Totally. If we kept things in sports rational and focused, we'd only have material two days a week. Superstition is but one of the many spices in the gravy covering the turkey of athletics.

Mmmmmmm, gravy

Date: February 16, 2007 11:32AM

jtwcornell91
Josh '99
jtwcornell91
RichH

I suppose so, I just happen to think that one particular one is asinine.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2007 11:32AM by Josh '99.

Date: February 16, 2007 11:50AM

Josh '99
Yes, yes, thank you for your input. Superstitions don't carry literal worth? Well, we'll all have to ponder that, as it has never occurred to anybody before.

Now be silent and let the rest of us enjoy our quaint backward ways. rolleyes

Date: February 16, 2007 12:13PM

Josh '99
jtwcornell91
Josh '99
jtwcornell91
RichH

Yeah, but you are an asshole :-D :-P :-D

Date: February 16, 2007 12:53PM

KeithK
Josh '99
jtwcornell91
Josh '99
jtwcornell91
RichH

Yeah, but you are an asshole :-D :-P :-D
Oh, I know. crazy

Posted by: reilly83 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 13, 2007 11:18PM

White #25 was worn at the red/white scrimage tonight, which made me wonder: Has anyone heard anything about whether there are still plans to retire Nieuwendyk's number this fall? Has the idea just been quietly dropped?

Posted by: redice (---.154.223.78.Dial1.Boston1.Level3.net)
Date: October 13, 2007 11:31PM

reilly83
White #25 was worn at the red/white scrimage tonight, which made me wonder: Has anyone heard anything about whether there are still plans to retire Nieuwendyk's number this fall? Has the idea just been quietly dropped?

Does anyone know who was wearing that #25 tonight? It was not identified on the rosters provided to the public.

Posted by: Doug '08 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 13, 2007 11:33PM

redice
reilly83

Does anyone know who was wearing that #25 tonight? It was not identified on the rosters provided to the public.

25 was being worn by one of the club players. It was also one of the older Nike Jersey's, as opposed to the vertically stripped new ones if that has any telling signs

Date: October 13, 2007 11:46PM

Doug '08
It was also one of the older Nike Jersey's, as opposed to the vertically stripped new ones if that has any telling signs
Oh, please...no vertical stripes.

Posted by: JDeafv (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 14, 2007 09:57AM

I'm guessing they were just wearing the red-stripes from Florida so they don't have to do laundry for the game reds before the season starts. There was no indication they plan to adopt the red-stripe (Jamaican beer) jerseys for the regular season.

Also, none of the white jerseys were ready for the season (no name plates, no captain letters, etc.).

Posted by: grizzdan24 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 14, 2007 12:13PM

JDeafv
Also, none of the white jerseys were ready for the season (no name plates, no captain letters, etc.).

That has been true for every Red/White scrimmage the past few years. They will be added this coming week before the first game.

Posted by: ACM (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 14, 2007 12:29PM

Doug '08
redice
reilly83

25 was being worn by one of the club players. It was also one of the older Nike Jersey's, as opposed to the vertically stripped new ones if that has any telling signs

25 was Tommy Schmicker, who is probably better known for being one of the faceoff specialists on the lacrosse team.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login