Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Capital District games this weekend

Posted by mha 
Capital District games this weekend
Posted by: mha (---.cit.cornell.edu)
Date: February 05, 2007 03:07PM

Afternoon, folks! Someone's trying to convince me to go to the games at Union and RPI this weekend, and I guess I'm willing to be convinced. Is there going to be a good crowd in town? Anyone know of a particular hotel where lots of folks are staying?

Re: Capital District games this weekend
Posted by: ursusminor (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 05, 2007 04:59PM

There should be good turnout at RPI since it is the White Out game, however, it probably won't sell out.

Ned Harkness will be honored during RPI's Friday game vs. Colgate. He'll be the third member of RPI's Ring of Honor joining Adam Oates and Joe Juneau.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: February 05, 2007 06:03PM

ursusminor
There should be good turnout at RPI since it is the White Out game, however, it probably won't sell out.
"White Out"? So they've added a second game where people are asked to show up and cheer?

Posted by: ebilmes (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 05, 2007 06:11PM

Josh '99
ursusminor
"White Out"? So they've added a second game where people are asked to show up and cheer?

They did white out last year. White shirts, white noisemakers. We lost.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 05, 2007 06:20PM

Josh '99
ursusminor

They also have Black Friday. And yes it is lame that they have to have a reason to sell more tickets, but at least they try. As a season ticket holder, it does make for more fun at The Morgue (TM) when it is filled near capacity.

I tried to buy five tickets together for Saturday. The good tix were long gone as of Friday the 26th. So whether they are near sellout due to the Faithful showing or because of the "White Out", I'll be wearing RED on Saturday.

Posted by: redhair34 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 05, 2007 06:27PM

How is the standing room @ RPI? Plentiful like most other ECAC rinks? Or limited like the recently renovated Lynah?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2007 06:31PM by redhair34.

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 05, 2007 06:31PM

I don't think they have standing room at RPI- all reserved seats.

Sorry

Date: February 05, 2007 06:36PM

TimV

Sorry

Let me clarify my question--Are there places to stand and watch the game at the top of the sections? Thanks.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: February 05, 2007 06:37PM

They do have obstructed view seats (columns) though that rarely sell out.

Date: February 05, 2007 06:42PM

redhair34
How is the standing room @ RPI? Plentiful like most other ECAC rinks? Or limited like the recently renovated Lynah?

I don't think that they sell SRO tickets, but they do have the next best thing. The two sections that are somewhat "behind" the RIP band are bleacher seats, whereas the rest of the rink gets three - count 'em - types of seats in which to park their collective tush. For most games, the bleachers are empty but serve as overflow for games as needed.

The rink has access to the seats from a corridor next to the glass. If you allowed standees, they would block the view of the lower rows.

The only legit way to get an SRO spot is to bring a band instrument and be admitted as part of the "YOU SUCK"crazy pep band. The band gets amazingly large for the "Freakout".

Edit: There is also a "catwalk" for those with the right type of press pass or whatever.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2007 06:46PM by marty.

Date: February 05, 2007 06:44PM

redhair34
TimV

Sorry

Let me clarify my question--Are there places to stand and watch the game at the top of the sections? Thanks.

No, to stand at the top (which some of my nervous RIP supporters do) you need a ticket for the last row at the rink.

Date: February 05, 2007 07:21PM

marty
redhair34
TimV

Sorry

No, to stand at the top (which some of my nervous RIP supporters do) you need a ticket for the last row at the rink.

Darn.

Thanks Marty, Tim, Keith

Posted by: ursusminor (---.nrl.navy.mil)
Date: February 06, 2007 01:41PM

RPI press release:

MEN'S HOCKEY TO RAFFLE SIGNED NHL ITEMS
Proceeds from this weekend's event to go to the American Cancer Society

TROY, N.Y. - The Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI) men's hockey team will hold raffles of autographed National Hockey League (NHL) jerseys and sticks at both of its games this weekend, with all the proceeds going to the American Cancer Society. In addition to the raffle, the team will also donate its money from the 50-50 drawing.

"It was actually Kirk MacDonald who approached the staff and the team with his idea." said first-year head coach Seth Appert. "We have an opportunity to help a tremendous organization - one that is very close to the Rensselaer hockey family - so it did not take long for everyone to get on board."

"This is a good chance to raise some money for the American Cancer Society," said MacDonald, who been heavily involved with the organization over the past 18 months. "Because of our generous fans, we had a lot of success with a signed NHL jersey raffle last season. We thought it would be worth another try to see what could be raised this year."

Among the NHL items, all of which are signed by former collegiate standouts, are jerseys from the New York Islanders, autographed by goaltender Rick DiPietro, the Colorado Avalanche, autographed by defenseman John-Michael Liles, the Anaheim Ducks, autographed by the team, and sticks signed by members of the San Jose Sharks.

Each of the winners will be presented with their items by a member of the Engineers following the game.

RPI hosts Colgate University on Friday night at 7pm. In addition to the jersey raffles, it will also be Ned Harkness Night, when the former legendary coach of the Engineers will be added to the prestigious Ring of Honor at the Houston Field House. A banner for Harkness, who led RPI from 1949-63, will join those of Adam Oates '85 and Joe Juneau '91 in the rafters. Saturday's game, which is against Cornell University, is the 3rd Annual White Out. All fans are encouraged to wear white.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 06, 2007 01:47PM

ursusminor
RPI press release:

"All fans are encouraged to wear white."
Wonder what color Cornell fans will be wearing.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: February 06, 2007 02:55PM

marty
Edit: There is also a "catwalk" for those with the right type of press pass or whatever.

You also need the right kind of heart for this. scared

How is attendance at Achilles (or whatever they're calling Union) these days? That used to be an easy ticket, and it looked like half the rink (for once, not an exagerration) was kids under 13 let in free to run around and scream and have pucks bounce off the back of their heads. Can't imagine years of .400 mediocrity have made the situation any better.

Hope we get a good Faithful showing at both games. The team has some momentum coming out of the last two weekends (2-2, but at least 9 good periods of hockey in there somewhere).

Date: February 06, 2007 06:39PM

Trotsky
marty

How is attendance at Achilles (or whatever they're calling Union) these days?

Achilles usually is close to sold out for RIP and Cornell. So buy those tickets early. (I only attend RIP and Cornell and yet am sure that the other games are less well attended. There is a $2 premium for several games each year including these two.)

The lady who sells tickets by phone will likely allow will call pickup. She is a very fine person to deal with.

Posted by: DevilDerby (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 07, 2007 12:27AM

I'll take your word about the last row. But there always seems to be plenty of 'milling about' in front of the end section and in the pathways between it and the Troylets.

Just be sure to not get in the way of the flag runner; they don't seem to like that.

Posted by: DevilDerby (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 07, 2007 12:30AM

I'm there at both. Bringing one at Union, and 3 to RPI.

Posted by: dto (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 07, 2007 06:50PM

If you do get in the way of something, be sure to trip puckman.

Actually, I got tickets online for the Clarkson/RPI game and they sold me a ticket in the top row at center ice. Despite the fact that you get a wood bench as opposed to a seat (the bench might actually be more comfortable), it's a great place to see a game and there's some knowledgable hockey folks up there.

Date: February 07, 2007 07:00PM

The last two times I have been to RIP, they have had to do giveaways to make sure fans were wearing the right color. For the Clarkson game this year, you could get a free, yet fashionable red t-shirt to support your Redhawks (I refuse to call them engineers) sponsored by Verizon. In addition to that, they had free pom-poms on every seat.

It's really a shame when you can't count on your own fans in your own house to know what colors to wear and to support your team.

While you're at HFH, I would suggest having a good meal at the concession stands. They are generally staffed by student-athletes from RPI's other division III programs and they get a portion of the concession sales to support their teams. I always order food there to support the dedication of these student athlets.

Date: February 07, 2007 07:43PM

dto
While you're at HFH, I would suggest having a good meal at the concession stands. They are generally staffed by student-athletes from RPI's other division III programs and they get a portion of the concession sales to support their teams. I always order food there to support the dedication of these student athlets.

Well the food is mediocre at best so a good meal would be out of the question, but do use the concessions and tip the kids working there. They are a nice bunch. In fact on rare occasions when there are too few fans and too much food we get freebies from the crew!

Posted by: dietlbomb (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 07, 2007 09:45PM

Well, two guys and I are going to both games this weekend. Is there a standard postgame Cornell fan hangout in the capital region?

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: February 07, 2007 10:45PM

Depends on the atmosphere you're seeking and which end of the district you're staying in. The Friendly's not far from Union's campus isn't bad in a pinch, but if you're in Troy, Holmes & Watson Ltd. is a great place for a beverage or three.

Try the Plum Blossom for lunch on Saturday, it's the best Chinese food I've ever had outside of NYC.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: billhoward (---.ziffdavis.com)
Date: February 08, 2007 12:36AM

marty
redhair34
TimV

Sorry

I've done it a couple times. Only a few people can stand at the top of each aisle, like maybe two or three. More to the point, RPI sellouts are more near-sellouts. If Big Red Freakout is their best-selling game, it's never the Cornell game, since that draws a good crowd anyhow - but not a sellout crowd.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 08, 2007 02:14AM

dto
For the Clarkson game this year, you could get a free, yet fashionable red t-shirt to support your Redhawks (I refuse to call them engineers) sponsored by Verizon. In addition to that, they had free pom-poms on every seat.
Just curious. What do you have against calling RPI the Engineers? Is it because few of the players major in engineering? Perhaps the 'Tute should go back to using "The Bachelors" as was often used in the 1950's and early 1960's. That would be most PC. :-P

Date: February 08, 2007 03:10PM

Naah, if you look at the Clarkson roster, we have very very few engineering majors on our team too. It's just the engineering school rivalry :)

Re:Ken Schott talks with Harkness
Date: February 08, 2007 06:58PM

ursusminor
Ned Harkness will be honored during RPI's Friday game vs. Colgate. He'll be the third member of RPI's Ring of Honor joining Adam Oates and Joe Juneau.

[www.dailygazette.net]

Re: Re:Ken Schott talks with Harkness
Posted by: redice (---.usadatanet.net)
Date: February 08, 2007 07:16PM

"While it would seem natural that RPI would honor Harness during Saturday's game against Cornell, Harkness decided it was best to do it with Colgate in town."

I guess we know who to blame for our not being able to attend Ned's induction into the RPI Ring of Honor.

Date: February 08, 2007 07:58PM

redhair34
ursusminor

[www.dailygazette.net]
Someone should tell Ken Schott that Ned is no longer the only coach to win NCAA hockey championships at two different schools.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 08, 2007 08:38PM

Al DeFlorio
redhair34
ursusminor

[www.dailygazette.net]
Someone should tell Ken Schott that Ned is no longer the only coach to win NCAA hockey championships at two different schools.
[Q]Harkness, who is the only person to coach two programs to NCAA titles. RPI won the 1952 lacrosse championship.[/Q]I think they mean two different sports at the same school.

Date: February 08, 2007 09:17PM

Jim Hyla
Al DeFlorio
redhair34
ursusminor

[www.dailygazette.net]
[Q]Harkness, who is the only person to coach two programs to NCAA titles. RPI won the 1952 lacrosse championship.[/Q]I think they mean two different sports at the same school.
Got it. Thanks.

Date: February 09, 2007 12:39AM

Al DeFlorio
redhair34
ursusminor

[www.dailygazette.net]

Someone should clue the Troy Record's RIP beat reporter, Ed Weaver, concerning a certain goalie (from Thursday's paper):

"But all-time goaltending Ken Dryden and the rest of the 1969-70 Cornell Big Red were perfect,..."smashfreak

Cornell at Union on cable
Date: February 09, 2007 05:57AM

This game will be on the local Time-Warner cable channel 3 this evening. They will likely rebroadcast the game at least once this weekend - I haven't checked when and I have no knowledge concerning other T-W locales picking this up.

Dan Fridgen will probably be the color man.

Re: Cornell at Union on cable
Posted by: Pete Godenschwager (---.chem.cornell.edu)
Date: February 09, 2007 10:48AM

Looks like it should be on in Ithaca as well: [web.twcny.com]

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 09, 2007 02:48PM

Al DeFlorio
ursusminor
RPI press release:

"All fans are encouraged to wear white."
Wonder what color Cornell fans will be wearing.

Is this a trick question like, What should Texas A&M name its new Zebra mascot? A) Spot, B) Freckles

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login