Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Clarkson at Cornell postgame

Posted by billhoward 
Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Clarkson at Cornell postgame
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 02, 2007 09:08PM

Clarkson 1 at Cornell 5 postgame: Ari was right - last week's win may have been the turning point.

Only one goal allowed against the arguably hottest team in the ECACHL, and us without our top defenseman. Only four shots allowed by Cornell in the third period.

If we believed the freshmen and sophomores would come into their own late in the season, that's on target.

Justin Milo's pass to Tony Romano for goal #5 belongs in the season highlight tape, just so long as Cornell isn't recording off the CSTV feed.

I wouldn't (personally) read too much into the presence of Scrivens in goal for this game and his status in the who's on top? scheme of things.

Can't let up Saturday night vs. St. Lawrence.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2007 09:13PM by billhoward.

Re: Clarkson at Cornell postgame
Posted by: Trotsky (---.ashbva.adelphia.net)
Date: February 02, 2007 09:20PM

Out of town finals:

Union 2 at Harvard 5
RPI 2 at Dartmouth 5

Date: February 02, 2007 09:21PM

Princeton 1 at Brown 1 (ot) (final)

Date: February 02, 2007 09:25PM

Fun little stat

Schafer vs Clarkson & Harvard in the regular season at Lynah:
18-5-1 .771

Date: February 02, 2007 09:27PM

SLU 2 at Colgate 6

Apparently, the third period the Saints just drove off the cliff.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 02, 2007 09:29PM

Pretty dominating win. Everyone played well I thought.

Date: February 02, 2007 09:30PM

Quinnipiac 6 at Yale 4

Top of the ECAC standings:

.700 SLU (10-4-1)
.688 Quinnipiac (9-3-4)
.633 Clarkson (8-4-3)
.567 Cornell (7-5-3)
.500 Dartmouth (6-6-3)

Posted by: redhair34 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 02, 2007 09:37PM

Clarkson looked like they didn't belong on the same ice. I find it strange that they haven't been able to get up for games against us. Not to take anything away from Cornell, but you figured after we knocked them out of the playoffs the past two seasons that they would come out buzzing. But they didn't--not in Potsdam or tonight.

Posted by: jy3 (---.bflony.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 02, 2007 09:38PM

of note, mono = ebv with likely splenic friability would not mean a definite end of season illness. but it could. (seminof). of course there are other sequelae

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 02, 2007 09:38PM

Trotsky
Quinnipiac 6 at Yale 4

.700 SLU (10-4-1)
.688 Quinnipiac (9-3-4)
.633 Clarkson (8-4-3)
.567 Cornell (7-5-3)
.500 Dartmouth (6-6-3)

QU 22
SLU 21

So isn't QU in first?

Posted by: Robb (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: February 02, 2007 09:39PM

Trotsky
SLU 2 at Colgate 6

SLU will probably come in buzzing tomorrow night - we'd better be ready!

Date: February 02, 2007 09:44PM

Robb
Trotsky
SLU 2 at Colgate 6

SLU will probably come in buzzing tomorrow night - we'd better be ready!

I'm not really that surprised. I wasn't very impressed with the Saints when we were up at Appleton, or when I saw them play Clarkson on TW26. Marsh has done a great job getting the most out of that team. SLU works hard though; so like Robb said we need to be on.

Date: February 02, 2007 09:46PM

There were a couple of absolutely brutal calls tonight. Luckily, they didn't impact the outcome. The contact to the head roughing call on Bitz was a joke.

Posted by: mttgrmm (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 02, 2007 09:49PM

there was also a tripping call right in front of section A/B against Sawada (i think?) that was total crap.

his stick hit the back of the clarkson player's calf and it was called a tripping... pretty bad call.

Date: February 02, 2007 09:51PM

mttgrmm
there was also a tripping call right in front of section A/B against Sawada (i think?) that was total crap.

his stick hit the back of the clarkson player's calf and it was called a tripping... pretty bad call.

Yup... that was the other call I was thinking about:-}

Posted by: Cactus12 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 02, 2007 09:54PM

Great, well-deserved win...

Excellent physical play around the puck. Solid passing and solid goaltending. Nice exploitation of the Clarkson defense (or lack thereof esp. down low). Good finishing (finally) and there were multiple odd-man rushes where they could've tacked on even a few more! Also, almost every time there was a loose puck in front of Scrivens, there were at least three, white jerseys to clear it out immediately. I thought pretty much everyone played well- they wanted it. It's nice to see what this team is capable of when they're on.

As for Clarkson, once the power offense wasn't working for them, the same bunch of goons we see every year emerged, especially towards the end (and I'll willingly open the floodgates with that one). Plus, Leggio couldn't guard the post. I wasn't impressed at all.

Date: February 02, 2007 09:56PM

Also, there was a hook about 10 seconds prior to, and eventually resulting in the "holding the stick" call against Krantz.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 02, 2007 09:57PM

OK. The hit job on Dodge worked. Who do I need to visit tomorrow?

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)

marty
Trotsky
Quinnipiac 6 at Yale 4

.700 SLU (10-4-1)
.688 Quinnipiac (9-3-4)
.633 Clarkson (8-4-3)
.567 Cornell (7-5-3)
.500 Dartmouth (6-6-3)

QU 22
SLU 21

So isn't QU in first?

Except they've played 1 more game.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)

McNulty, the safety sieve, made a really amazing one there at the end. I am surprised he didn't get put in the net earlier.

mttgrmm
Krantz' "holding the stick" was dicey, too. The stick was embedded in Doug's gut, he wasn't holding it anywhere.

Posted by: Giffy (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 02, 2007 09:58PM

redhair34
There were a couple of absolutely brutal calls tonight. Luckily, they didn't impact the outcome. The contact to the head roughing call on Bitz was a joke.

I wouldn't say it was a joke. A Clarkson player hit Bitz, who then turned and punched him twice in the head.

Date: February 02, 2007 09:59PM

I hope Schafer noted how well Mugford played in front of the net on the PP at the end. He just parked himself there a la Tomas Holmstrom and all most deflected one in.

Date: February 02, 2007 09:59PM

marty
Trotsky
Quinnipiac 6 at Yale 4

.700 SLU (10-4-1)
.688 Quinnipiac (9-3-4)
.633 Clarkson (8-4-3)
.567 Cornell (7-5-3)
.500 Dartmouth (6-6-3)

QU 22
SLU 21

So isn't QU in first?

By points. SLU is in first by winning percentage. I prefer the latter, for the same reason that I think a 6-0-0 team is better than a 6-7-1 team.

Date: February 02, 2007 10:02PM

Agreed. There was also a point in the second period where Sawada was parked very effectively in front of the net . Bitz (I think) chose not to take the shot, but had he gotten one on net, there's no way Leggio would've see it. Generally good play around the net.

Date: February 02, 2007 10:02PM

where has the "your sister is your mother...." cheer gone?

my roomie and I attempted to sing it in the beginning of the third, and we were the only ones around who had any idea what was going on.

we're not that old, i'm '06 and he's '07, shouldn't there be more Faithful around who know it?

and also, if any band guys wanna chip in, why doesn't the band have Addams family in the queue anymore? the conductor guy looked at me like i had 3 eyes when i asked if they were gonna play it or if we were on our own...

i always liked it.

Date: February 02, 2007 10:03PM

Giffy
redhair34

I wouldn't say it was a joke. A Clarkson player hit Bitz, who then turned and punched him twice in the head.

It was a joke because the Clarkson player knocked him in the head to the point where it almost jarred his helmet off. I didn't see Bitz punch him in the head; I saw him shove him in the chest. Even if he did, then send both to the box.

Posted by: grizzdan24 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 02, 2007 10:04PM

Cornell also controlled play and looked great behind the Clarkson goal, scoring twice on wrap-arounds and off Leggio's back on Greening's first goal.

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 02, 2007 10:05PM

I'm not going to say the better team won because I honestly think Clarkson is a better team on most nights. Cornell can take a game from any team on any night, making cornell a very dangerous team.

Tech came out flat and got down, never overcame it. I hope it's a lesson. Can't blame the officiating, it was consistent all night. I will respectfully disagree with those so-called "Brutal" calls.

Good win guys, your team earned it.

Posted by: Giffy (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 02, 2007 10:05PM

redhair34
Giffy
redhair34

It was a joke because the Clarkson player knocked him in the head to the point where it almost jarred his helmet off. I didn't see Bitz punch him in the head; I saw him shove him in the chest. Even if he did, then send both to the box.

Yeah, I agree that they both should have gone.

Date: February 02, 2007 10:07PM

Giffy
redhair34
Giffy
redhair34

Yeah, I agree that they both should have gone.

the reason Bitz got a penalty was each player gets one shove. The clarkson player took his shove, Bitz took two shoves... the guy who keeps it going gets the penalty.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 02, 2007 10:08PM

Trotsky
Quinnipiac 6 at Yale 4

.700 SLU (10-4-1)
.688 Quinnipiac (9-3-4)
.633 Clarkson (8-4-3)
.567 Cornell (7-5-3)
.500 Dartmouth (6-6-3)
Colgate is also 6-6-3 at .500.

Posted by: Drew (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 02, 2007 10:10PM

You played well, we got served. Congrats, gents! Till the next time.
Cheers!
Drew

Date: February 02, 2007 10:10PM

Dpperk29
the reason Bitz got a penalty was each player gets one shove. The clarkson player took his shove, Bitz took two shoves... the guy who keeps it going gets the penalty.

Thanks Mr. Referee. I had a feeling you'd chime in.

Posted by: Omie (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 02, 2007 10:13PM

What a great win!!! Let's hope the guys can do it again tomorrow.

From the Clarkson Roundtable...

"Cornell played a much, much, much (did I say much) more physical game than Clarkson. Their captain, Byron Bitz, is huge. I don't know the stats, but it seemed Cornell won every important faceoff in the game. Oh, and their student section... we should hire them if we make the tourney and they don't."

Date: February 02, 2007 10:14PM

Dpperk29
I'm not going to say the better team won because I honestly think Clarkson is a better team on most nights.

You may very well be right. But, you really have to wonder why Tech doesn't show up against a team that eliminated the past two years in the playoffs. That's not a good sign. Dodge's absence might have been a factor tonight, but it wasn't in Potsdam.

Date: February 02, 2007 10:16PM

redhair34
Dpperk29

Thanks Mr. Referee. I had a feeling you'd chime in.

my ego is too wounded right now to decide if you are being complimentary or sarcastic. I'll take it as the first one, but it is probably the second. Either way, I am willing to tell you with near 100% certainty that the ref was using that exact logic

Date: February 02, 2007 10:20PM

Dpperk29
I'll take it as the first one, but it is probably the second. Either way, I am willing to tell you with near 100% certainty that the ref was using that exact logic

Just because the call was based on logic doesn't make it the right call. The first shove, where Bitz's helmet almost came off, should have resulted in a penalty. I'm arguing that the degree of contact from the first shove should have at least resulted in matching minors.

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 02, 2007 10:28PM

Dpperk29
the reason Bitz got a penalty was each player gets one shove.

Just caught the end of the 1st period between Denver & UMD. Apparently the WCHA allows each player 2 shoves. Maybe that's the key to their success. ;)

Posted by: sah67 (---.clarityconnect.net)
Date: February 02, 2007 10:29PM

To add to the list of reasons why Hansen should go back to ref school: One of the Clarkson goons (get names on your jerseys...I don't want to buy a program!), (maybe Kolu?) dragging Gallagher around by his facemask while the linesmen stared and did nothing.

Date: February 02, 2007 10:34PM

Dpperk29
I'm not going to say the better team won because I honestly think Clarkson is a better team on most nights.
You've been taking lessons from RichS, pal, I regret to say.

Look, your heroes managed three shots on goal in the third period and OT in a tied game against Cornell on your home ice. Tonight they improved to a whopping four. Get lost.

Date: February 02, 2007 10:42PM

Al DeFlorio
Dpperk29

Look, your heroes managed three shots on goal in the third period and OT in a tied game against Cornell on your home ice. Tonight they improved to a whopping four. Get lost.

Al, lets use the month of january as an example as to why Clarkson is the better team on most nights.

cornell's record: 1-4-2
Clarkson's record: 4-1-3

Tonight, cornell was the better team. Most nights, Clarkson is the better team.

Date: February 02, 2007 10:46PM

Omie
What a great win!!! Let's hope the guys can do it again tomorrow.

From the Clarkson Roundtable...

"...I don't know the stats, but it seemed Cornell won every important faceoff in the game. Oh, and their student section... we should hire them if we make the tourney and they don't."

38-26, Cornell -- I thought Cornell did a better job than that on faceoffs. Personally, I think every faceoff is important. Hiring the student section is an interesting idea...maybe they'd show up on time. :-)

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.mtholyoke.edu)
Date: February 02, 2007 10:47PM

Dpperk29
Al, lets use the month of january as an example as to why Clarkson is the better team on most nights.

Fine (not speaking for Al), but you still came on here and your first comment was about how your team is really better anyway. "Just remember, we're still better". Not particularly classy.

Posted by: MB (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 02, 2007 10:48PM

Are you high? We were damn lucky to come away with a win tonight. We didn't seem on at all, our first PK unit... well, let's not talk about that. Actually, let's not talk about our power play units. We almost gave up a couple of short handed goals. There was a distinct lack of energy and puck handling. Our one saving grace was that Clarkson was even less on than we were.

Let's hope our guys find that spark tomorrow night.

Date: February 02, 2007 10:49PM

Not much to add...just a fantastic game. Carefoot and Greening were outstanding, and not just because of their goals. Excellent play from Mugford again too...that kid's gonna put one (or more) in real soon, if not tomorrow.

I'd also disagree with some statements about Scrivens not really being a factor tonight. He had several good saves, and was definitely tested a bit more than against Colgate, but the blue-liners absolutely had his back tonight, and he seemed to allow fewer positioning mistakes also. I don't want to say McLeod and Fontas on the PK compensate for the loss of Seminoff, but it doesn't look like we suffered all too much without him tonight...would be great to have him back though!

Clarkson just looked absolutely terrible, and Leggio looked okay at best...Dekanich seemed far better, even when we were outplaying Colgate.

I was really eager to see Clarkson play as I had missed the all-access feed of the Cheel game earlier in the season, and was expecting to see the #8 team in the nation come out flying and kill any motivation we had after the Colgate win. But they looked tonight like a team that didn't even belong in the polls.

I was also glad that it wasn't just a case of them "playing down" to us, and instead, we were just absolutely red-hot, and completely schooled them.

A high powered offense? A PPG? I had to pinch myself a couple times tonight.

Date: February 02, 2007 10:51PM

MB
Are you high? We were damn lucky to come away with a win tonight. We didn't seem on at all, our first PK unit... well, let's not talk about that. Actually, let's not talk about our power play units. We almost gave up a couple of short handed goals. There was a distinct lack of energy and puck handling. Our one saving grace was that Clarkson was even less on than we were.

We were the ones in white and red, not yellow and green.

Date: February 02, 2007 10:53PM

Dpperk29

Or, let's use the rest of the year, excluding January:
clarkson's record: 12-6-1
Cornell's record: 10-4-1

Clarkson didn't bring their best game to night. Too bad.

Date: February 02, 2007 10:54PM

DeltaOne81
Dpperk29

Fine (not speaking for Al), but you still came on here and your first comment was about how your team is really better anyway. "Just remember, we're still better". Not particularly classy.

I've never really claimed to be classy. My post game posts are just streams of thought usually, there isn;t much attention paid to what order to say things. Tonight, all I can think is "We are better than them... we really are better than them".

I'll work on it next time

Date: February 02, 2007 10:55PM

Dpperk29
Al DeFlorio
Dpperk29

Let's use history instead.

Cornell's record against Clarkson: 51-47-10
Tonight, Cornell was the better team. PERIOD.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2007 11:00PM by sah67.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 02, 2007 11:01PM

MB

Can't say I agree with anything you said. They probably weren't four goals better than Clarkson tonight but I think it's pretty safe to say they were better in every facet of the game. They made some mistakes, but the game wasn't even close. This was one of Cornell's best games of the season and unquestionably their best game at Lynah this year.

Date: February 02, 2007 11:03PM

sah67
Dpperk29
Al DeFlorio
Dpperk29

Let's use history instead.

Cornell's record against Clakson: 51-47-10
Tonight, Cornell was the better team. Most nights, Cornell is the better team.

hell, lets just use all time winning percentage...
.657 Clarkson the best in college hockey.
I can;t even find cornell's but it is less than clarkson's

Clarkson is the best on most nights.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2007 11:10PM by Dpperk29.

Posted by: cth95 (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: February 02, 2007 11:05PM

calgARI '07
MB

Can't say I agree with anything you said. They probably weren't four goals better than Clarkson tonight but I think it's pretty safe to say they were better in every facet of the game. They made some mistakes, but the game wasn't even close. This was one of Cornell's best games of the season and unquestionably their best game at Lynah this year.

MB is probably just trying to bait us. Especially since we scored 5 goals despite Leggio robbing 3 or 4 more great chances. So Clarkson scores a couple more and we convert a couple of those, we still win 7-3 or something like that. There is a lot of room for error to maintain a win with a 4-goal advantage.

Date: February 02, 2007 11:12PM

Didn't your mom teach you anything about sore losers? We get your point, as inane as it may be. Go worry about Colgate...I've been hearing good things about that Burton kid, and Dekanich is going to be a handful.

Date: February 02, 2007 11:17PM

sah67
Didn't your mom teach you anything about sore losers? We get your point, as inane as it may be. Go worry about Colgate...I've been hearing good things about that Burton kid, and Dekanich is going to be a handful.

if it is such an inane point, then why did you bother replying to it?

Date: February 02, 2007 11:25PM

Dpperk29

if it is such an inane point, then why did you bother replying to it?

I know you are but what am I? *sigh* I'm done with this nonsense...you can have the last word if you deem it necessary.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 02, 2007 11:30PM

Dpperk29
I'm not going to say the better team won because I honestly think Clarkson is a better team on most nights. Cornell can take a game from any team on any night, making cornell a very dangerous team.

Good win guys, your team earned it.
Of course you're not going to say the better team won. Why should you, we beat you decisively at home and tied you, could have won, on the road. Even your coach said on the pregame that Clk was lucky, or something to that effect, with the first game.

Sure we had a sucking Jan, and yes we're not a great team, I've always said we would do well to get a top 4 finish; but we took 3 points from our games with you, so what does that make you?

I'm always surprised when someone who has lost comes on and states the best team didn't win. What do you expect us to say, we agree? I give all of us a lot of credit for putting up stats to defend, and not getting into a flamefest. Good job guys.

Wow, you're going to have to show me the rule about this. I would say that it is often that the retaliation gets the call, but honestly I yelled at that call since you took the first blow to our head, and then Bitz came in. He just missed the call, pure and simple. Unfortunately Bitz should know better especially after he got similar call in prior game.

Date: February 02, 2007 11:38PM

Dpperk29
Clarkson is the best on most nights.

As long as it's not a game that means much. Playoff elimination games:

Postseason vs. Clarkson:
Cornell 18-8-1 (even giving Clarkson credit for that stupid minigame)

Elimination Games vs. Clarkson:
Cornell 12-5 (including the 1970 NCAA game and also giving Cornell a point for the tie that gave Cornell the first-to-3-points series win in 1989, and Clarkson getting a point for the minigame)

Isn't it nice that we both get to think our team's tradition, history, and records are better?

Date: February 02, 2007 11:41PM

Neither Clarkson poster is being a sore loser; in fact, if anything, a few people on this thread are being poor winners. Both congratulated Cornell for being the better team tonight and deserving the win. What do you want, them to convert to being Cornell fans? rolleyes Au contraire, they showed much more class than most of us do under similar circumstances.

Great win tonight, and Cornell seems to be putting it together at the right time of year. Clarkson came in something like 16-6-3, and that's well beyond "you got lucky sometimes" territory -- they're a legitimate conference contender.

I hope Cornell plays well tomorrow -- we seemed to match up with the Knights much better than with the Saints in the North Country this year, and SLU just got their heads handed to them last night in Hamilton which means they will be royally pissed off.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2007 11:41PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.caltech.edu)
Date: February 03, 2007 12:01AM

I think Cornell just plays a good counter to Clarkson's style. Barring the series that never happened, we have played them very very well in the recent past.

Date: February 03, 2007 12:10AM

Trotsky
Au contraire, they showed much more class than most of us do under similar circumstances.

What a crock of shit.

Posted by: BMac (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 03, 2007 12:42AM

For the people saying we gave up too many chances...they're right. Especially shorthanded chances, like when two guys RAN INTO EACH OTHER and left a clarkson player with the puck in our zone during our pp. Could have been very embarrassing. However, we pretty much dominated, so whatever.

In fact, despite the extra speed and breakaway goals, it felt eerily like the team of two years ago- big, strong, physical, scoring goals DOWN LOW. God, that felt good. When was the last time we had a few wraparounds like that? When was the last time you were in Lynah and truly felt like we were invincible, like our guys just worked harder and got results? Awesome awesome game.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2007 12:52AM by BMac.

Posted by: Roy 82 (---.SRI.COM)
Date: February 03, 2007 12:43AM

Boooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrring.

Let's talk about frikkin' hockey. Nobody said anything wrong from my viewpoint. We don't need to be so darn touchy. It's just sports.

Posted by: ebilmes (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 03, 2007 01:04AM

Clarkson definitely showed some signs of life tonight. Great puck movement on offense; Scrivens fell down quite often and got lucky that the puck didn't end up behind him a couple more times. Great stop on a 2x0 shorthanded breakaway by Leggio.

Lots to like about Cornell's play tonight. The freshmen were fantastic--Milo, Romano, Greening. Schafer's definitely looking to them to make big plays now.

I disagreed with the decision to start Scrivens, and he was his usual falling-down, coming way out of net, making bizarre saves self. Somehow, he held the Tech offense to one goal, so he needs to be given some credit.

Refereeing was questionable once Cornell got a big lead, but it's expected that the calls go the other way once you're up by 3 or 4. It's a nice feeling to know that the refs are trying to help the opposing team get back in the game because you're up by a few.

Like some others have said, this was not a 5-1 game. Cornell was the better team tonight, but a couple Scrivens rebounds or fall-downs or some better goaltending by Leggio makes this a lot closer.

Despite the Roundtable post someone quoted above, the fans were disappointing. Lots and lots of empty seats at gametime. A couple guys strolled in around 8:15 and pushed their way into the middle of B, intent on standing where their tickets were. These guys knew nothing about hockey and we rewarded them by yelling at them to come to the game on time. We had some long stretches of relative silence in the student sections. I'd normally be happy to start a LGR or something, but I lost confidence in the other fans to join in. What's the point of starting a cheer if you know it's going to die out right after you start it?

LGR
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2007 01:04AM by ebilmes.

Posted by: Molgestron (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 03, 2007 01:14AM

Overall, a great game. We dominated on faceoffs and the guys won a lot of the small battles for the puck along the boards. I did think that Clarkson checked harder than we did, but our guys kept up their speed and intensity. It was lots of fun to watch. Great crowd again tonight- I talked with some Clarkson students who came to Lynah for the first time on the way out and they were saying how impressed they were.

Regarding the penalties, it seemed like Hansen cared more about keeping chances even than calling what happened. The Sawada tripping was crap- I couldn't even tell if he made contact there. Right before the holding the stick call two of our players were dragged down along the end boards. Also, as Krantz was skating off with the linesman for the holding the stick penalty, the linesman told him the penalty was for throwing the stick (after the Clarkson guy hooked him, the stick was lodged in Krantz's arm and instead of letting it drop he kinda twirled and the stick was thrown) so that was the justification there.

For those that know what I'm talking about, it really felt like watching a video game match of NHL 94 with all the wraparound goals. Leggio was awful at guarding the post. Wonder if that was stressed in scouting reports.

Posted by: MB (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 03, 2007 01:35AM

No, really. Leggio sucked tonight, no doubt about it. Agree with that. All of us in A and B let him know that (thank you Leggio *clap clap clapclapclap*).

Look, I truly am a Cornell fan. I really want Cornell to win. Though, truth be told, we played much, MUCH better against Colgate than we did against we against Clarkson. We shut down after the first period. Can you argue about our penalty kill? I really think that we played better 5 on 5 than we did 5 on 4. Our PK at the Colgate game in the last 5 minutes was amazing. This game? We almost give up 3 short handed goals! Scrivens came to our rescue (I maintain that he's the better goaltender).

Our 4 goal win was deceptive tonight. We had bursts of great play-- Romano was a thug. But really, as was said last season, we need to play a full 60 minutes of hockey. No matter what the lead, we should always want to score a goal. We should always want to kill the penalty. We should always want to score on the PP. Leggio gave up some really bad goals tonight. If Scrivens or Davenport gave 'em up, you'd throw them under the bus. Remember, we played OK tonight, but our potential is much, MUCH higher.

Posted by: cth95 (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: February 03, 2007 01:40AM

I admittedly didn't see the 1st half of the game. I saw Leggio make some big time saves before he was pulled, so if he let in some soft ones early, I didn't realize it.

Date: February 03, 2007 01:52AM

Yeah, Sawada tripping wasn't legitimate, and the Gallagher face mask incident was strikingly obvious. I seem to remember us getting away with some other tripping call when we were already down a man. Had Tech gotten the 5x3 in that situation, they would have had the chance to cut the lead to 1, IIRC.

Each man allowed one push? Is that a joke?

Every time I hear an opposing band, I am again reminded of how much better our pep band is. Thanks, guys!

Posted by: evilnaturedrobot (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 03, 2007 02:07AM

Trotsky
mttgrmm
Krantz' "holding the stick" was dicey, too. The stick was embedded in Doug's gut, he wasn't holding it anywhere.

seriously! not only was he not holding it, but it begged the question: if the stick is in krantz's midseciont, then how did it get there in the first place?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2007 02:36AM by evilnaturedrobot.

Date: February 03, 2007 02:07AM

yeah for real...

i'm gonna start "good band, bad band" cheers regardless of who shows up, but tonight there was a clear difference in band quality (sorry Clarkson fans that frequent eLynah)

with colgate i thought they at least had some talent, but tonight i definitely was reminded of how good our band is.

thanks, guys!

Posted by: WillR (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 03, 2007 02:11AM

mttgrmm
where has the "your sister is your mother...." cheer gone?

my roomie and I attempted to sing it in the beginning of the third, and we were the only ones around who had any idea what was going on.

we're not that old, i'm '06 and he's '07, shouldn't there be more Faithful around who know it?

and also, if any band guys wanna chip in, why doesn't the band have Addams family in the queue anymore? the conductor guy looked at me like i had 3 eyes when i asked if they were gonna play it or if we were on our own...

i always liked it.

We had it going on at the top of B. Worked well i thought. Band participation would be fantastic but i am not sure they can condone that kind of stuff.

If only there was a catchy song like that for SLU(t)

Posted by: evilnaturedrobot (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 03, 2007 02:31AM

mttgrmm
yeah for real...

i'm gonna start "good band, bad band" cheers regardless of who shows up, but tonight there was a clear difference in band quality (sorry Clarkson fans that frequent eLynah)

with colgate i thought they at least had some talent, but tonight i definitely was reminded of how good our band is.

thanks, guys!

part of the problem, and this goes for colgate as well, is that the they chose to sit in the bottom left corner of section O right in front of the glass. As a consequence they played righ into the glass and they're sound was muffled all night. Now both Colgate and Clarkson had the entirety of section O open to them when the band bought tickets, why did they chose the seats right infront of the glass? It's idoitic.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2007 02:47AM by evilnaturedrobot.

Posted by: Omie (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 03, 2007 03:11AM

Scrivens played great and had some great saves. There a couple of close calls but he still managed to be there when it counted and made 26 saves out of 27 shots. He has given our team a chance to win on both Colgate games and against Clarkson and two out of those we came out with the win.

It seems there is nothing the fans can do to impress or even live up to the expectations of old timers. The student section was great against Clarkson and even better against Colgate. They are definitely doing their part.

note: Corrected some spelling to satisfy jtwcornell91.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2007 01:17PM by Omie.

Date: February 03, 2007 03:41AM

Not sure what you're talking about... obviously when you're up 4 goals, you're going to take a defensive stance. As for quality of play, both the offense and defense showed up ... period. You can criticize special teams if you wish, but the bottom line is that we scored goals, played good defense, and had solid play between the pipes. That's a winning formula- regardless of any short-handed opportunities that amounted to nothing. This game was better played than vs. Colgate in my opinion. You can't win games without goals.

Hansen still sucks
Posted by: Oat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 03, 2007 03:41AM

Definitely the worst referee in NCAA Hockey... What a clown

A lot of people called him "blind" tonight, which I didn't really agree with. He was more "stupid" than he was "blind." Tripping on Sawada.. I just couldn't believe that call.

Posted by: Oat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 03, 2007 03:45AM

Don't worry. You guys will still be in the top 10. I'll be happy if we can manage to hang on at the bottom at all.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: February 03, 2007 05:00AM

evilnaturedrobot
mttgrmm
yeah for real...

thanks, guys!

part of the problem, and this goes for colgate as well, is that the they chose to sit in the bottom left corner of section O right in front of the glass. As a consequence they played righ into the glass and they're sound was muffled all night. Now both Colgate and Clarkson had the entirety of section O open to them when the band bought tickets, why did they chose the seats right infront of the glass? It's idoitic.

I'm pretty sure they don't "choose" those seats. Either Cornell or the visiting ticket office decide to put the visiting band ticket allotment there. (I presume it use to be for the benefit of the SRO spaces along the rail above O and now it's for the benefit of the luxury box in the corner.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: February 03, 2007 05:02AM

mttgrmm
yeah for real...

thanks, guys!

Wow, times have changed if Colgate is considered to have a better band than Clarkson. For my part, I respect the fact that both schools actually bring a band to Lynah.

Date: February 03, 2007 05:03AM

Omie
It seems there is nothing the fans can do to impress or even live up to the expectations of old timers. The student section was great against Clarkson and even better against Colgate. They are definitely doing there part.

Well, you could start by spelling like you go to an Ivy League school. rolleyes

Date: February 03, 2007 05:06AM

Oat
Don't worry. You guys will still be in the top 10. I'll be happy if we can manage to hang on at the bottom at all.

[www.collegehockeynews.com]

Clarkson currently #7, Cornell #22 in the ratings that matter. (At least the last couple of wins have pulled our RPI up to the level where we're a TUC again.)

Posted by: duffs4 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 03, 2007 05:26AM

What an awsome game!! We dictated play almost the entire time. I can't think of one time when tech had pressure on us and took it beyond one faceoff in our zone. We had a couple special teams breakdowns but it seemed like we were trying to do some new stuff on the PP with some new personel. Hopefully a little time will iron out the wrinkles.

Tonight might have been the breakout game for Greening, his first goal was sptacular. That is what I expected to see out of him from presason scouting reports, he has a huge upside.

I thought that we were putting the puck to the net from any and all anles more often tonight than I've seen from a schafer era team. It was a great sight to see and I hope we can build on it.

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: February 03, 2007 06:59AM

ebilmes
Every time I hear an opposing band, I am again reminded of how much better our pep band is. Thanks, guys!
If true this year, that upsets me... I always thought the Clarkson band was a pretty good match for us in the past couple of years, at least in terms of intensity.

Date: February 03, 2007 08:14AM

ebilmes

it's hard for your band to sound good when only a third of it is at the game and it is crammed right down by the glass.

Date: February 03, 2007 08:43AM

Dpperk29
ebilmes

it's hard for your band to sound good when only a third of it is at the game and it is crammed right down by the glass.

Yeah, I wish we wouldn't do that. It's one think to debate whether we'd rather have a better chance to beat CCT without Nick Dodge, but we certainly can afford to have the opposing band at full strength. (Well, except for the electric bass. :-})

Date: February 03, 2007 09:24AM

duffs4
Tonight might have been the breakout game for Greening, his first goal was sptacular. That is what I expected to see out of him from presason scouting reports, he has a huge upside.

He also created a pair of other great chances which barely missed. He, Carefoot and Kennedy just blew Clarkson out of the water. Leggio will see them in his sleep for weeks.

Posted by: upperdeck (---.syr.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 03, 2007 09:26AM

2 two thoughts.. a 3rd of the clarkson band was there?? must be tradition cause it was the same size its been for 10 years.. and yeah its good they finally put the opp band in a place that doesnt effect the rest of us sitting next to them.

and how anyone could say that krantz penalty was not a joke wasnt paying attention.. the play started with the Clark player hooking under the arm inside the jersey and then it got caught in the jersey as they turned, when the puck finally moved away he had little choice but to let go, the stick embedded still.. the cu player left with the stick like a 3rd arm turned to the ref still got no call and finally shook it free at the ref and the goof called the penalty..

Date: February 03, 2007 09:27AM

evilnaturedrobot
Now both Colgate and Clarkson had the entirety of section O open to them when the band bought tickets, why did they chose the seats right infront of the glass? It's idoitic.
That's not true. 4000 seats / 15 sections = 266 seats per section (or so). The visitors' allotment is only 100 seats, so they have less than half of O to work with, and I'm sure their tickets have seat numbers on them.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 03, 2007 09:55AM

French Rage
marty
Trotsky
Quinnipiac 6 at Yale 4

.700 SLU (10-4-1)
.688 Quinnipiac (9-3-4)
.633 Clarkson (8-4-3)
.567 Cornell (7-5-3)
.500 Dartmouth (6-6-3)

QU 22
SLU 21

So isn't QU in first?

Except they've played 1 more game.

I thought the game in hand issue was caught up. (Oviously I can't add very late into the evening. Wasn't celebrating the win either!drunk)

Date: February 03, 2007 10:03AM

marty
I thought the game in hand issue was caught up. (Oviously I can't add very late into the evening. Wasn't celebrating the win either!drunk)
It was "caught up" until the Tuesday Q-H game that was scheduled on an unusual night so that Harvard would be well-rested when losing their Beanpot opener.

Posted by: reilly83 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 03, 2007 10:20AM

MB
Romano was a thug

Please explain. I suspect there is some new meaning to the word thug that I don't understand.

Posted by: DisplacedCornellian (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: February 03, 2007 10:41AM

Aww...you all upset Goldie Knight. Copied from the roundtable...

"I guess I will forever wonder what it takes to motivate the Golden Knights to play their best against a team whose fans condemn every penalty call made against Cornell and call Clarkson a group of goons. Their arrogant and insulting chant near the end of the game, "overrated", repeated incessantly, was simply sickening to hear. Reading their posts on elynah will provide Clarkson fans the perfect picture of what true cornell fans are actually like."

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 03, 2007 10:49AM

DisplacedCornellian
Reading their posts on elynah will provide Clarkson fans the perfect picture of what true cornell fans are actually like."
Reading Goldie Knight will provide Cornell fans a glimpse of what insanity is like.

Date: February 03, 2007 10:53AM

DisplacedCornellian
Aww...you all upset Goldie Knight.
But, to give credit where credit is due, old Goldie also wrote this:

"From listening to some of the broadcast, it seemed that Clarkson was not ever really in the game. They played, but they were outplayed in practically every facet of the game. Coach Roll mentioned that the Golden Knights were beaten by a much better team. Cornell got their tempo early in the game by scoring quickly and kicked the Golden Knights back on their heels; they are a tough team to come back against. Cornell was much better prepared, and they worked a lot harder than the Golden Knights."

Date: February 03, 2007 11:23AM

DisplacedCornellian
Aww...you all upset Goldie Knight. Copied from the roundtable...

"I guess I will forever wonder what it takes to motivate the Golden Knights to play their best against a team whose fans condemn every penalty call made against Cornell and call Clarkson a group of goons. Their arrogant and insulting chant near the end of the game, "overrated", repeated incessantly, was simply sickening to hear. Reading their posts on elynah will provide Clarkson fans the perfect picture of what true cornell fans are actually like."

Um, I know Goldie has been around for a while; how has she ever survived this long if she gets so worked up over the "overrated" chant, which is pretty ubiquitous in sports? Has it been so long* since Clarkson was consistently good that she's forgotten the chant?

* I would say no, since I remember those days well enough.

Posted by: KP '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 03, 2007 11:49AM

[www.uscho.com]

"Freshman Ben Scrivens, who has recently claimed the top spot for the Big Red, finished the game with 26 saves."

Does the writer know something we don't?

Date: February 03, 2007 11:50AM

upperdeck
2 two thoughts.. a 3rd of the clarkson band was there?? must be tradition cause it was the same size its been for 10 years.. and yeah its good they finally put the opp band in a place that doesnt effect the rest of us sitting next to them.

my understanding is that there were only enough tickets alotted to the band for 1/3 of the band to come. (and Daredevil can confirm this or tell me I am out to lunch)

Posted by: KP '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 03, 2007 11:55AM

Dpperk29
upperdeck

my understanding is that there were only enough tickets alotted to the band for 1/3 of the band to come. (and Daredevil can confirm this or tell me I am out to lunch)

But you have a huge band at home, right? They have just about a whole section to themselves, IIRC.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: February 03, 2007 12:05PM

jtwcornell91
Omie
It seems there is nothing the fans can do to impress or even live up to the expectations of old timers. The student section was great against Clarkson and even better against Colgate. They are definitely doing there part.

Picking on spelling and grammar, unless it's so egregious as to make a post utterly incomprehensible (see, e.g., plrd78), is pointless, obnoxious, pedantic, and just as likely to drive people away from a message board as it is to make them think, "Oh, he's right, I should shape up." And in this case, it's a ridiculous stretch to think that the old timers who aren't impressed with the current students' cheering or enthusiasm in the rink think it has anything to do with their ability to spell an entire post correctly at 3:11 in the morning.

Picking on people who pick on spelling and grammar, on the other hand - well, that's just cool.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: redice (---.usadatanet.net)
Date: February 03, 2007 12:29PM

Beeeej
jtwcornell91
Omie

Picking on spelling and grammar, unless it's so egregious as to make a post utterly incomprehensible (see, e.g., plrd78), is pointless, obnoxious, pedantic, and just as likely to drive people away from a message board as it is to make them think, "Oh, he's right, I should shape up." And in this case, it's a ridiculous stretch to think that the old timers who aren't impressed with the current students' cheering or enthusiasm in the rink think it has anything to do with their ability to spell an entire post correctly at 3:11 in the morning.

Picking on people who pick on spelling and grammar, on the other hand - well, that's just cool.

I know I'm dating myself. But, one of the interesting parts of the advent of the keyboard-to-keyboard communication is the number of intelligent people who just can not spell. Admittedly, some of it is just sloppiness. But some people just don't have it when it comes to spelling. Spellchecking can help. And, there is always the old-fashioned dictionary. But, if the person thinks they're spelling a word correctly, they're not going to refer to a dictionary. Which brings me to my (somewhat philosophical) age-old question: how is a person supposed to look up a word in a dictionary if they don't know how to spell it? rolleyes

Date: February 03, 2007 12:47PM

KP '06
http://www.uscho.com/recaps/20062007/m/02/02/ckn-cor.php

"Freshman Ben Scrivens, who has recently claimed the top spot for the Big Red, finished the game with 26 saves."

Does the writer know something we don't?

Scrivens has started and played well in the last two games. He's brought his SV% above .900 and I would not be surprised to see him start tonight. It's impossible to know what's going on in Schafer's mind, but it's not unreasonable to think Ben is the #1.

Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login