Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

ECAC Playoff Possibilities Stuff

Posted by jtwcornell91 
ECAC Playoff Possibilities Stuff
Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: January 31, 2007 05:59AM

[slack.net]
[slack.net]

Have at it, people!

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Re: ECAC Playoff Possibilities Stuff
Posted by: Trotsky (---.ashbva.adelphia.net)
Date: January 31, 2007 10:08AM

Also accessible off the TBRW homepage. John totally rocks. banana

Posted by: daredevilcu (---.riverside.clarkson.edu)
Date: January 31, 2007 11:33AM

If you're more of a do-it-yourself person, here's a what-iffer where you can put in your own expected game results and see how the season would turn up.

[siouxsports.com]

Date: January 31, 2007 11:40AM

daredevilcu
If you're more of a do-it-yourself person, here's a what-iffer where you can put in your own expected game results and see how the season would turn up.

[siouxsports.com]

You mean like this (which also implements the tiebreakers)?

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.oracorp.com)
Date: January 31, 2007 01:26PM

Y'know -- I'm trying to WORK here!

Posted by: Rich S (130.156.38.---)
Date: January 31, 2007 03:46PM

Come on...surely you've heard that "work is over-rated." :-D

Hey, my teaching day is through. I get to go watch wrestling now.

Posted by: daredevilcu (---.riverside.clarkson.edu)
Date: February 01, 2007 12:04AM

I just wanted to toss another one out there, I find the siouxsports one easier to navigate than TBRW. Nothing wrong with TBRW if you know your way around, but siouxsports also implements tiebreakers, I believe.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 01, 2007 02:07AM

daredevilcu
If you're more of a do-it-yourself person, here's a what-iffer where you can put in your own expected game results and see how the season would turn up. [siouxsports.com]

... accessing the site from dartmouth.edu domains gets you a reprimand from the Judicial Administrator and you'll be picking up community service trash from Hanover highways during Winter Carnival weekend. Not what you want to be picking up then.

Date: February 01, 2007 03:34AM

daredevilcu
I just wanted to toss another one out there, I find the siouxsports one easier to navigate than TBRW.

You phrased it in a way that implied the TBRW/slack one didn't let you put in the results of future games, so I wanted to set the record straight.

Nothing wrong with TBRW if you know your way around, but siouxsports also implements tiebreakers, I believe.

It doesn't seem to go beyond head-to-head. Put in Cornell losing to Clarkson and Colgate beating SLU, and the teams are tied for 4th place. Since they split the season series, the first tiebreaker is record vs the top 4 (top 3--above the tie in this case). Cornell would be 0-3-1 and Colgate 1-2-1, but the siouxsports standings calculator lists Cornell ahead of Colgate.

Really, I'd be surprised if it implemented the ECAC tiebreakers, since they have calculators for all six leagues, and nobody else has the ECAC's tiebreaker system. Also, they obviously don't go down to the net goals tiebreakers, since they don't ask you for the scores of hypothetical games.

It is nice having the games sorted by team, but I don't know how you'd make that consistent without being JavaScript-dependent like they are.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: February 01, 2007 02:35PM

daredevilcu
I just wanted to toss another one out there, I find the siouxsports one easier to navigate than TBRW. Nothing wrong with TBRW if you know your way around, but siouxsports also implements tiebreakers, I believe.

I am all for navigation suggestions. The site architecture has grown up, how shall I put this?, organically.

Posted by: RichH (216.195.201.---)
Date: February 01, 2007 06:03PM

Trotsky
daredevilcu

I am all for navigation suggestions. The site architecture has grown up, how shall I put this?, organically.

Well, since the invitation is there, I'd love to help out. Personally, I've been frustrated at times with the organization of stuff when I'm trying to find something specific. The wealth of the information is mighty, and I don't want that to change one bit.

I have two big complaints:

1) Basic organization. Finding the right "bins" to make information intuitive to find. The buttons for "history" "players" and "games" seem to be so cross-pollenated, I never know what's where. (Examples: a list of all Cornell-Harvard post-season games is located under History->Cornell, while a list of landmark games covering CU's history is under Games. The Uniform # list isn't under "Players" but "History --> Cornell.";)

2) I hate frames. Please...stop the madness. Give us back our address bar.

The site architecture/organization that I really liked (and still use unbelievably): Keith's old unofficial site. The remnants of which can be found here:

[www.elynah.com]

Most of the site map is broken due to things trying to link to hockey.cornell.edu instead of elynah.com. Specifically, I really liked the way Keith laid out his history section:

[www.elynah.com]

On Keith's old site, if I want to see a roster, stats, or schedule for a particular year, I knew to go to "history --> year." On TBRW, on the other hand, it's very nebulous. History? Games? Players? I usually just go to the index and squint a lot. Or for seasons since '99, I use USCHO's past-years roster/schedules, and even those are several clicks deep.

Just beginning suggestions. Really, the CU Hockey community as a whole can't thank you enough for the work you've done in sheer data collection.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2007 06:04PM by RichH.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: February 01, 2007 06:55PM

A follow on to Rich's suggestion: I think it's helpful to have data reachable from a number of logical paths. Want data for 1996? Go to a page indexing 1996 data. Want the 1996 schedule and results? You can get there from the 1996 index or following a link from the schedule index which lists all years with final records. Want an individual player's stats? Go to a general index of player's names or to a roster for a year when he played or a stats summary for a year that he played. Ideally you want to allow someone to reach the data following any logical path.

Now implementing this can be maddening, especially if you're doing it manually and not with a database. Lord knows keeping things consistent was hard enough when I was maintaining my site.

Keith

P.S. Thanks Rich for pointing out what broke the links. To be honest I never put in the minimal effort required to find the mistake since I'd already given it up by the time it moved to elynah.com. Maybe someday I'll pester Age to let me fix it. (Maybe when we're both 70...)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login