Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

New rink opens at Quinnipiac

Posted by dbilmes 
New rink opens at Quinnipiac
Posted by: dbilmes (---.dsl.mrdnct.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 28, 2007 12:35PM

Those of us who attended Cornell's game at the Northford Ice Pavilion earlier this year will be sadly no longer be able to go there to watch the Big Red in action. [www.tiny.cc]

Re: New rink opens at Quinnipiac
Posted by: BMac (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: January 28, 2007 02:10PM

Good story in the NYT about this.

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: January 28, 2007 02:17PM

BMac
Good story in the NYT about this.

Quote from Quinnipiac coach:

“We’ve got three lines with a lot of high-end players who can score,” he said. “We still need to improve on defense, but that’s a good problem to have. There are a lot of college teams out there that are having trouble scoring.”

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.mtholyoke.edu)
Date: January 28, 2007 06:03PM

And the QU men's team opens their new rink in style, with a 7-0 win over Holy Cross. Their 2nd & 3rd goals were both shorthanded, 31 seconds apart, on the *same* penalty kill. Crazy.

[www.collegehockeystats.net]

Posted by: cth95 (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: January 28, 2007 06:09PM

"Last Saturday, New Haven Coliseum, once home to the popular but long ago dismantled Knighthawks of the American Hockey League, was demolished in favor of downtown redevelopment."

My friend's dad used to take us to see the Nighthawks every now and then when I was a kid. I don't even know what club they were affiliated with. Any chance to see hockey was great, but I liked the Whalers better. So much for Connecticut hockey teams hanging around.

On a side note, I remember thinking that driving around the tight, spiraling ramp into the parking garage was a lot of fun.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2007 07:04PM by cth95.

Date: January 28, 2007 06:12PM

Nice rink but very sterile. I would have thought they'd have at least painted the walls and under the seats so it wouldn't be just bare concrete.

UVM's Patrick Gymnasium was already painted but looking old and bland. The new paint job before their storied run in basketball a couple of years ago made it look much more modern and maybe even a little bigger.

Date: January 28, 2007 06:19PM

P.S. Looking at the picture again, it is amazing how much banners packing the rafters add to the atmosphere and asthetics of a rink. :-)

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 28, 2007 06:49PM

Someone should ask the New York Times what a "Knighthawk" is. [Sounds like a bird that attacks Clarkson alums.]

They were the New Haven Nighthawks.

Date: January 28, 2007 07:01PM

Al DeFlorio
Someone should ask the New York Times what a "Knighthawk" is. [Sounds like a bird that attacks Clarkson alums.]

I am remembering from when I was about 12, but I thought they were the "Nighthawks". Thanks for claryifying that.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 28, 2007 11:29PM

cth95

I don't even know what club they were affiliated with.

Apparently they were affiliated with the North Stars, Rangers, or Kings depending on the season:
[en.wikipedia.org]

Then they were renamed the New Haven Senators after affiliating with Ottawa, and then moving to PEI. Apparently the team is now the Binghamton Senators, although I'm sure they were inactive for a while in the middle :)

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: January 28, 2007 11:56PM

cth95
Any chance to see hockey was great, but I liked the Whalers better. So much for Connecticut hockey teams hanging around.

I happened to catch one of the "Geico Connecticut Cup" games on Friday between the Hartford Wolf Pack and the Bridgeport Sound Tigers. Woo. Of note were the number of Whaler jerseys still in the crowd. (Also present was a waived Darius Kasparaitis and the Wolf Pack Cheerleaders. :-P )

[www.publicbroadcasting.net]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2007 11:59PM by RichH.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: January 29, 2007 12:47AM

cth95

"Last Saturday, New Haven Coliseum, once home to the popular but long ago dismantled Knighthawks of the American Hockey League, was demolished in favor of downtown redevelopment."

For those interested in seeing the Coliseum imploded, head on over to YouTube. There are more than a dozen videos from lots of vantage points, including a few that were too close and downwind from the debris, leading to some humorous videos.

I think that building came to the rescue a few years ago for a Cornell-Yale game when Ingalls had some ice issues. Feb. 10, 2001:

The game was originally scheduled to be played on Yale's campus at Ingalls Rink. But compressor problems earlier in the day had left the playing surface more liquid than ice, leaving Yale administrators in a bind. About two hours before the scheduled starting time, they got clearance from officials at the New Haven Coliseum to move the game across town.

As a result, the game started an hour late. But that it started at all was something of a small miracle. The Coliseum happened to be vacant that night and its staff was willing to welcome the two teams on very short notice.

Because of the inconvenience of the last-minute move, fans were admitted free of charge. The 3,855 who made it to the game certainly got more than their money's worth.

[www.uscho.com]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2007 12:49AM by RichH.

Posted by: evilnaturedrobot (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 29, 2007 02:33AM

cth95
Nice rink but very sterile. I would have thought they'd have at least painted the walls and under the seats so it wouldn't be just bare concrete.

UVM's Patrick Gymnasium was already painted but looking old and bland. The new paint job before their storied run in basketball a couple of years ago made it look much more modern and maybe even a little bigger.

I kind of like it.

My ideal college hockey rink is 50+ years old and feels like it. But if you have to have a modern rink then I guess you might as well embrace the aesthetic. It's certainly an interesting looking space.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2007 08:30AM by evilnaturedrobot.

Date: January 29, 2007 08:11AM

evilnaturedrobot
I kind of like it.

My ideal college hockey rink is 50+ years old and feels like it. But if you don't have to have a modern rink then I you might as well embrace the aesthetic. It's certainly an interesting looking space.

I like the old rinks, too. I think this one is in the style of the older rinks and looks good. I just think it could use some color. All of that shiny, new concrete looks not only new, but cold. A little paint won't give it the wood of Lynah's benches or the benches and walls in Appleton, but I think it would add some character.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: January 29, 2007 10:30AM

cth95
evilnaturedrobot
I kind of like it.

My ideal college hockey rink is 50+ years old and feels like it. But if you don't have to have a modern rink then I you might as well embrace the aesthetic. It's certainly an interesting looking space.

I like the old rinks, too. I think this one is in the style of the older rinks and looks good. I just think it could use some color. All of that shiny, new concrete looks not only new, but cold. A little paint won't give it the wood of Lynah's benches or the benches and walls in Appleton, but I think it would add some character.

I dunno, I think for a new rink (assuming the Times picture is the completed rink) it does have character. Its not sterile ways, they're uneven concrete grey with angled beams. There's also the yellow beams angled down the long walls as a visual continuation of the roof beams. The size of the walls are also kept to a minimum.

Its not an "old barn" ala Lynah, Appleton, Baker, Ingalls, etc... but for a modern rink, it seems they did a good job. Looking forward to seeing it in person :)

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 29, 2007 10:34AM

cth95
I just think it could use some color. All of that shiny, new concrete looks not only new, but cold. A little paint won't give it the wood of Lynah's benches or the benches and walls in Appleton, but I think it would add some character.
Agree. In an earlier discussion of rink esthetics, someone pointed out that rinks like Cheel and Lynah East give the impression of having too much wall and too little people. TDWorldBankNorthAmericaFleet suffers a bit from that as well, and a "warm" color on the walls would help a lot. I do like the fact that they eschewed glitz and made it look like a college hockey rink should look.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login