Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell-BU @ Madison Square Garden Sat. 11/24/07

Posted by billhoward 
Cornell-BU @ Madison Square Garden Sat. 11/24/07
Posted by: billhoward (---.sub-75-198-5.myvzw.com)
Date: January 20, 2007 03:53PM

Announcement at the weekend's Cornell Association of Class Officers (CACO) meeting in Philadelphia: Cornell will play Boston University Saturday, Nov. 24, 2007 at 8 pm at Madison Square Garden.

There's a for-more-information address, Jeffrey Hall, 607-255-6680, jwh33@cornell.edu, but that's for info on hospitality and sponsorship opportunities.

[Edit add] No there has been no publicity from MSG on this yet. But it's a bigger thing for us and BU than for MSG. It is not, I don't believe, part of a doubleheader. Cornell U and classes are planning activities around the game. And no announcement of who's the home team and gets to wear white and change lines last ... nor if this is part of a two- or three-year deal and if so where the other games are.

Re: Cornell-BU @ Madison Square Garden Sat. 11/24/07
Posted by: Trotsky (---.ashbva.adelphia.net)
Date: January 20, 2007 05:34PM

Sweet. There with bells on. burnout

Posted by: Rich S (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 20, 2007 09:45PM

Has there been an official announcement or publicity from mSG on this game yet?

Posted by: judy (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 20, 2007 10:29PM

This much advance notice certainly makes Thanksgiving travel planning a lot easier.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: January 20, 2007 10:39PM

Pre-game party at Beeeej's!

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 20, 2007 10:42PM

Didn't think I'd ever be able to hop on the A to get to a Cornell game.

Looking forward to it!

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 21, 2007 03:18AM

Is this Cornell's first game their since the holiday tourney in '74 (or was it early '75?)?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2007 11:04AM by marty.

Posted by: jkahn (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 21, 2007 10:35AM

marty
Is this Cornell's first game their since the holiday tourney in '74?
We played in a holiday tournament at MSG in Jan. 1976.

Date: January 21, 2007 04:26PM

jkahn
marty

Do I recall that the above-mentioned was the last Holiday Hockey Festival at MSG? Or was the last one played in December '77 ?

This is great news and perhaps if attendance is great, the ECAC and HE will try to work with MSG to start a new holiday tournament.

I'll plan to attend this game and would go to a new tournament whoever the teams are.

Date: January 21, 2007 04:38PM

Bill,

I'll try to find out more info from my contact at MSG. Hopefully those folks and people at the ECAC and HE think it is a "big deal" for MSG because that attitude will be required if there is to be any hope of a reincarnation of the old Holiday Hockey Festival.

I attended in '70 and '72 and those were excellent tournaments. Recall that there was a one night (I think) doubleheader scheduled at the Garden a few years back (RPI was in it and BU ?, I forgot the others) but MSG moved it to the Hartford Civic Center to make room for another night for Billy Joel.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 21, 2007 04:53PM

jkahn
marty
The last one was apparently in January 1977. [www.augenblick.org]. They must have had trouble getting schools to participate since they invited Bowdoin.

Re: Cornell-BU @ Madison Square Garden - NCAA Frozen Four next
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 22, 2007 12:07AM

Let's hope the turnout is great and it convinces MSG to move forward on a bid for the NCAA Frozen Four now that the Olympics aren't going to be gracing New York City. Lord knows where students and alums would find affordable hotel space, but they won't lack for things to do.

A couple Cornell alums work for firms that have luxury boxes. I believe the deal is for any event at the garden (except presidential conventions), the luxury box holder has rights to use the box. (I think you still have to buy an admission ticket to the event for each person using the box.) Time to suck up to your NYC-based Fortune 500-executive classmates.

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: January 22, 2007 01:40AM

billhoward
Lord knows where students and alums would find affordable hotel space, but they won't lack for things to do.

There are plenty of students from the NYC area, and even more recent alums. I can't believe that any student would have a problem finding a place to stay, and if they want a hotel room, they won't care about splitting it 7 ways. Like I did in Florida :)

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: January 22, 2007 01:53AM

Liz '05
billhoward
Lord knows where students and alums would find affordable hotel space, but they won't lack for things to do.

There are plenty of students from the NYC area, and even more recent alums. I can't believe that any student would have a problem finding a place to stay, and if they want a hotel room, they won't care about splitting it 7 ways. Like I did in Florida :)

The hotels in NYC are a lot more likely to care about such things - and frankly most hotel rooms in NYC wouldn't even fit seven people lying on the floor.

But you're right, chances are very good there'll be plenty of non-hotel places for Cornellians to stay this November and for any future NYC Frozen Four.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: January 22, 2007 07:05AM

Bowdoin also played in the '70 event. Their game vs Calrkson wa sthe first hockey game I ever saw there.

I don't recall that their presence was due to a lack of interest on the part of other teams. Bowdoin was a pretty strong D2 team at the time as I recall.

Date: January 22, 2007 07:08AM

Bill, it may be different now but back in the mid 80s when I was the Controller for a company that had one of the 12 or so original boxes at MSG (before the renovation in the early 90s) tickets for the 12 people allowed in the box were included in the box season rental.

That makes sense since th eboxes are often used for entertaining clients and it;s not likely they'd consistently have tickets on their own.

Posted by: The Rancor (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 22, 2007 09:10AM

billhoward
And no announcement of who's the home team and gets to wear white and change lines last.

whats this all about? change lines last? cant you change lines any time you want, outside of a penelty or icing?

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: January 22, 2007 09:24AM

The Rancor
billhoward
And no announcement of who's the home team and gets to wear white and change lines last.

whats this all about? change lines last? cant you change lines any time you want, outside of a penelty or icing?

Before a faceoff, the visiting team has to commit its personnel on the ice, and the home team has about five seconds when they can change to match them if they like. And college has not adopted that silly NHL rule about not changing personnel after an icing.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: January 23, 2007 06:24AM

Rich S
Bill, it may be different now but back in the mid 80s when I was the Controller for a company that had one of the 12 or so original boxes at MSG (before the renovation in the early 90s) tickets for the 12 people allowed in the box were included in the box season rental.

That makes sense since th eboxes are often used for entertaining clients and it;s not likely they'd consistently have tickets on their own.

You may be correct for Madison Square Garden or that may have been correct for a kinder gentler time when the arenas didn't try to maximize revenue. The rules may differ from arena to arena but if my recall for Continental is correct, you pay the box season rental for the season and then for each person who attends who sits in the box, you pay the highest ticket price for a seat outside the box. For college hockey or hoops, no big deal, but for an NHL or NBA game, each ticket will be on the high side of $100. Makes Lynah even more of a bargain.

Re: Cornell-BU - proof of game
Date: January 26, 2007 06:06AM

Cornell has apparently been reluctant to confirm to the Cornell Daily Sun and others that the Cornell-BU game exists. In case there's some question, here's the card (attached) given to the 600-plus alumni at the Cornell class meeting last week in Philadelphia.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: January 26, 2007 08:03AM

billhoward
Cornell has apparently been reluctant to confirm to the Cornell Daily Sun and others that the Cornell-BU game exists. In case there's some question, here's the card (attached) given to the 600-plus alumni at the Cornell class meeting last week in Philadelphia.

Is the date and time actually set in stone for all parties involved? I would imagine, if anything, that's the chief hold-up. For instance, have the 2007-08 Rangers and Knicks schedules been released yet? The Powers That Be may have to reschedule accordingly.

Posted by: jkahn (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 26, 2007 09:31AM

Will
Is the date and time actually set in stone for all parties involved? I would imagine, if anything, that's the chief hold-up. For instance, have the 2007-08 Rangers and Knicks schedules been released yet? The Powers That Be may have to reschedule accordingly.
Perhaps that's the reason for the 8 o'clock start (rather than 7), leaving more room for a possible afternoon game.

Posted by: ajec1 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: January 26, 2007 09:39AM

Will

Coming from the land of 10,000 lakes and one multi-purpose stadium, generally leagues are open to scheduling around prior commitments. Back home, this often involves the NFL. I would think it would be easier for the NBA and NHL, where there are more games. In addition to that, Sunday is generally a light day for NHL games. As for the Knicks, does it really mattter when or where they play as long as they have the contracts they do and Isiah?

Date: January 28, 2007 08:02PM

Is the game set in stone? Dunno. Is it probably going to happen when Cornell (parts of Cornell) says it's going to happen? Yes. This is a Real Big Thing for Cornell: Ground zero for the Cornell alumni base (BU, too) ... Cornell is kicking off this monster High Above campaign ... Cornell and many individual classes already starting to plan receptions before or after.

Plus, it's the perfect weekend. Cornell students are home for Thanksgiving and even undergrads bored to tears being at home would defer returning to Ithaca till Sunday morning. People who live in/around NYC may be thnking of things other than Rangers/Knicks that weekend.

... and if it did get switched to 4pm, so what? You party after the game instead of before.

Posted by: that loud guy with the hair (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: January 29, 2007 11:58PM

Awesome.

Awesome to the max.

B-]

Posted by: Cactus12 (---.vet.cornell.edu)
Date: January 31, 2007 04:52PM

Will anyone notice if we disguise Jagr and put him on the ice in red? ;-)

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: January 31, 2007 05:03PM

Cactus12
Unfortauntely, someone who could score goals would stand out....

Posted by: evilnaturedrobot (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 31, 2007 05:07PM

the way the team has looked at times this year, I think Marcel Hossa would stand out pretty prominently.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2007 05:11PM by evilnaturedrobot.

Posted by: Ronald '09 (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 31, 2007 09:27PM

Cactus12

Getting Jagr would be a terrible idea. He would score a few goals initially but then would probably try to punch the other team's top center and hurt himself in the process.

I'd rather get someone who comes from a winning organization, maybe that guy who Jagr tried to punch. Hey, he'll be a free agent this offseason.

Posted by: dto (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 03, 2007 05:10PM

This is great news. Two of the teams I despise the most will be playing a hockey game right up the road a piece from me. (Still some hard feelings over that BU game in ummm 92???) Despite all this, it is hockey, and quality college hockey, count this Clarkson fan in for the game and the good of college hockey.

(Maybe you Ivy Leaguers can go taunt Columbia while you're there)

Posted by: evilnaturedrobot (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 03, 2007 05:14PM

dto
This is great news. Two of the teams I despise the most will be playing a hockey game right up the road a piece from me. (Still some hard feelings over that BU game in ummm 92???) Despite all this, it is hockey, and quality college hockey, count this Clarkson fan in for the game and the good of college hockey.

we try, or atleast I, try to keep the taunting within the rink, and columbia has no hockey team and the student populace is generally apathetic towards it's sports teams.

besides, I've always liked columbia.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2007 05:16PM by evilnaturedrobot.

Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 03, 2007 05:43PM

evilnaturedrobot
dto

we try, or atleast I, try to keep the taunting within the rink, and columbia has no hockey team and the student populace is generally apathetic towards it's sports teams.

besides, I've always liked columbia.

Any Ivy League school that doesn't have an ice hockey or men's lacrosee team should be kicked out of the League. Send 'em to Big East or some other silly conference.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login