Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

"Top Down"

Posted by calgARI '07 
"Top Down"
Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 19, 2007 02:29PM

Re: "Top Down"
Posted by: redhair34 (---.citlabs.cornell.edu)
Date: January 19, 2007 04:02PM

I agree with your stars. I'd put Scali as #4. He was all over the ice last weekend. You are spot on with Seminoff--even as a sophomore he appears to be the emotional leader of the team (at least on the ice).
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2007 04:10PM by redhair34.

Posted by: ebilmes (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: January 19, 2007 04:09PM

Ari
Because student seats at Clarkson are general admission, they all get there an hour before the game starts so as to secure a place to stand. I wonder how we could solve the punctuality problem of the students at Lynah?

Not going to see any improvement tonight. Frat contacts are 8-10, so a lot of us will be there for--at most--one period. Lots of stuff to do beforehand, too, so look for lots of empty seats.

As for the punctuality problem, no easy solutions come to mind. I'm tired of being one of three or four people in B for the start of warmups.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2007 04:11PM by ebilmes.

Posted by: redhair34 (---.citlabs.cornell.edu)
Date: January 19, 2007 04:11PM

ebilmes
Not going to see any improvement tonight. Frat contacts are 8-10, so a lot of us will be there for--at most--one period. Lots of stuff to do beforehand, too, so look for lots of empty seats.

Sounds like some people need to reconsider their priorities.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: January 19, 2007 04:28PM

ebilmes
As for the punctuality problem, no easy solutions come to mind. I'm tired of being one of three or four people in B for the start of warmups.
General admission would do wonders for punctuality. Especially if you didn't know if you'd get in the building if you showed up late.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.ashbva.adelphia.net)
Date: January 19, 2007 05:07PM

redhair34
I sympathize with the both the rushees and the rushers. I don't sympathize with whoever decides to put this opposite a home game every year. There's really only one event on the Cornell campus in winter that matters if you screw up and schedule a conflict. Is it really that difficult to schedule frat contacts on a flippin' road weekend?

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: January 19, 2007 05:28PM

KeithK
ebilmes
General admission would do wonders for punctuality. Especially if you didn't know if you'd get in the building if you showed up late.

Threatening cavity searches did wonders in filling the rink before the Harvard game. (Ah, what a night that was.)

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Trotsky (---.ashbva.adelphia.net)
Date: January 19, 2007 05:39PM

jtwcornell91
Threatening cavity searches did wonders in filling the rink before the Harvard game. (Ah, what a night that was.)

You're projecting, again.

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: January 19, 2007 05:48PM

redhair34
ebilmes

Listen, as much as I like hockey, it takes up, what, 30 or so nights of the year, something as important as your fraternity (if you're in one) might mean missing one game.

Though, as Greg pointed out, IFC could schedule the time a little better. (On a side note, why is rush week(end) always the weekend of a home series, seems like that's been the case for awhile?)

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: January 19, 2007 06:00PM

French Rage
Though, as Greg pointed out, IFC could schedule the time a little better. (On a side note, why is rush week(end) always the weekend of a home series, seems like that's been the case for awhile?)

Rush week(end) is always scheduled to interfere as little as possible with academics. Clases start this coming Monday, so rush is going on now, and I believe bids are signed Tuesday. This weekend and the next two weekends are home hockey weekends, so to avoid home hockey, rush would have to be moved to after February 3, which means it would interfere much more significantly with academics.

Which do you think the IFC and the university are more likely to consider important, and which expendable - hockey, or academics?

You could always ask Coach Schafer to be more careful to schedule the January home stretch to start after rush, but I don't think he'd be likely to give a shit.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: January 19, 2007 06:06PM

French Rage
redhair34
ebilmes

Listen, as much as I like hockey, it takes up, what, 30 or so nights of the year, something as important as your fraternity (if you're in one) might mean missing one game.

Hockey only takes up 30 nights per year? No. Cornell hockey takes up countless hours of time in addition to the actual game times. Particularly work hours.

I understand that some folks may foolishly have other priorities that they put above Cornell hockey. But if you're posting on a Cornell hockey board where the denizens spend inordinate amounts of time obsessing about Cornell hockey don't expect too much sympathy when you place those other priorities above hockey. And do expect to be teased about it.

Note: Whether or not I actually live up to the standards of Lynah Faithfulness I propound here (and regardless of whether I really believe them) when I'm posting on this board I'm going to act like i think you're a fool if you put anything short of your dying child ahead of Cornell Hockey. And why didn't you take the poor tyke to the game to liven up his last few days on earth?

Date: January 19, 2007 06:08PM

Beeeej
Which do you think the IFC and the university are more likely to consider important, and which expendable - hockey, or academics?
In keeping with my previous post, we all know what they should think is more important!

Date: January 19, 2007 07:58PM

redhair34
ebilmes

Thanks, but it's a no-brainer. A fraternity will be a big part of my life for the next 3+ years, while my presence for the entirety of the hockey game would have no impact on the outcome. I love Cornell hockey, but I came back after one period.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.caltech.edu)
Date: January 19, 2007 08:02PM

The burning questions were quite disappointing this week. I look forward to it every week and you let me down Ari.

Date: January 19, 2007 08:24PM

ebilmes
Thanks, but it's a no-brainer. A fraternity will be a big part of my life for the next 3+ years, while my presence for the entirety of the hockey game would have no impact on the outcome. I love Cornell hockey, but I came back after one period.
Have you no sense of superstition? Of course your presence and actions play a big part in the outcome! You must follow every ritual to a tee if we're winning or change it up after our recent streak! Some sports fan you are....

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: January 19, 2007 08:33PM

ebilmes
A fraternity will be a big part of my life for the next 3+ years

So we're agreed. You have plenty of time to spend on that, so you can get away for 2 hours tonight. :-)

Posted by: jkahn (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 19, 2007 08:34PM

ebilmes
A fraternity will be a big part of my life for the next 3+ years, while my presence for the entirety of the hockey game would have no impact on the outcome. I love Cornell hockey, but I came back after one period.
Just make sure you choose one with a lot of guys willing to road trip with you.

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: January 19, 2007 09:00PM

Beeeej
French Rage

Rush week(end) is always scheduled to interfere as little as possible with academics. Clases start this coming Monday, so rush is going on now, and I believe bids are signed Tuesday. This weekend and the next two weekends are home hockey weekends, so to avoid home hockey, rush would have to be moved to after February 3, which means it would interfere much more significantly with academics.

You could always ask Coach Schafer to be more careful to schedule the January home stretch to start after rush, but I don't think he'd be likely to give a shit.

First, I'm familiar with the rush schedule (I was in the same house I believe you were). My point wasn't to move the whole rush week, but I never understand why a contacts that late in the week (after "Smokers" are through) couldn't be more in the afternoon if it happened to coincide with a hockey night, especially since afternoon is usually the least busy part of the day during rush days.

And my question on why they coincide was not to say one or the other should be moved, it was rather asking why that weekend (the weekend before classes start) seems to always be home, when you would expect given the 50/50 split of home and away games for it to be an away weekend part of the time.

Posted by: las224 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 20, 2007 12:22AM

French Rage
First, I'm familiar with the rush schedule (I was in the same house I believe you were). My point wasn't to move the whole rush week, but I never understand why a contacts that late in the week (after "Smokers" are through) couldn't be more in the afternoon if it happened to coincide with a hockey night, especially since afternoon is usually the least busy part of the day during rush days.

Because smokers go till 5 or 6 (usually 6, but today they were shortened till 5). Houses need at LEAST an hour (if not more) to regroup and figure out who they want to contact, so doing it before 7 or 8 just doesn't work. They are 8-10 all the other nights, so it makes sense to continue with that and not move it to 7-9, so that silly freshmen don't get confused.

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 20, 2007 12:32AM

las224
French Rage

Because smokers go till 5 or 6 (usually 6, but today they were shortened till 5). Houses need at LEAST an hour (if not more) to regroup and figure out who they want to contact, so doing it before 7 or 8 just doesn't work. They are 8-10 all the other nights, so it makes sense to continue with that and not move it to 7-9, so that silly freshmen don't get confused.

All good points I guess. Though one could make the point that smokers on Friday are not as useful as those earlier in the week since it's a little late to be looking at a house for the first time. However, I doubt anyone will get rid of them, so for the reasons you mentioned in looks there will be conflict any year a homestand occurs on this weekend.

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 20, 2007 12:36AM

KeithK
French Rage
redhair34
ebilmes

Hockey only takes up 30 nights per year? No. Cornell hockey takes up countless hours of time in addition to the actual game times. Particularly work hours.

I understand that some folks may foolishly have other priorities that they put above Cornell hockey. But if you're posting on a Cornell hockey board where the denizens spend inordinate amounts of time obsessing about Cornell hockey don't expect too much sympathy when you place those other priorities above hockey. And do expect to be teased about it.

Note: Whether or not I actually live up to the standards of Lynah Faithfulness I propound here (and regardless of whether I really believe them) when I'm posting on this board I'm going to act like i think you're a fool if you put anything short of your dying child ahead of Cornell Hockey. And why didn't you take the poor tyke to the game to liven up his last few days on earth?

Haha, well put Keith. I still refuse to condemn those who miss one game due to what I see as a just-as-important commitment due to a conflict scheduled by a body outside of their control.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 20, 2007 03:05PM

las224
French Rage

What about doing it later on the last night? Say, after game time. Say, 10-midnight. Any self-respecting college student, nevermind one who's rushing frat, has no issue staying up past midnight.

I know nothing about the rushing procedure, and have no issue with people missing a game or two or a few due to other commitments. But just tossing stuff out there. I do agree that if they really wanted to avoid this, the prerogative would be on the hockey schedulers more than the rush schedulers.

Date: January 21, 2007 02:08PM

10-midnight contacts wouldn't work because all the frats want to have evening activities, most of which happen pretty quickly after contacts.

Whether is was due to people not being back for classes, brothers/rushees being busy with rush stuff, or just a lack of enthusiasm for continued dismal performances, the crowd this weekend sucked, both in size and intensity.

I thought Ari's score prediction for Brown (3-1) was what the score should have been after one period. You cannot dominate a period like we did in the 1st last night and head into the locker room without a lead.

Posted by: BMac (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: January 21, 2007 02:21PM

I don't want to start a flame war, but after last night's game, and the $300-odd dollars we had to pay for tickets, I'm not really thinking about how I should get there an hour before the game. I expect more from this team.

Posted by: BCrespi (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 21, 2007 02:29PM

ebilmes

Woah woah woah. Hold on. Isn't the whole point of our fanaticism that we can affect the outcome? If not by getting in the opposition's heads (which we have seen we have done in the past) then certainly spurring on our own guys. While I realize one individual has little considerable impact, what if everyone has that mindset? Then we're Harvard. No thanks. I'll go on either affecting, or pretending I'm affecting the outcome. It doesn't really matter, so long as we're there.

(note: I'm not really saying one shouldn't go and take care of other commitments, just disagreeing with the line quoted above)

Edit: I can criticize, but I can't avoid typos (so what if the mistaken word directly contradicted my meaning, don't judge me)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2007 06:35PM by BCrespi.

Posted by: reilly83 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 21, 2007 02:43PM

BCrespi
we can affect the outcome? If not by getting in the opposition's heads (which we have seen we have done in the past) then certainly spurning on our own guys

Yikes! I'm not quite ready to spurn our own guys yet!;-)

Date: January 21, 2007 03:17PM

BCrespi
Woah woah woah. Hold on. Isn't the whole point of our fanaticism that we can affect the outcome? If not by getting in the opposition's heads (which we have seen we have done in the past) then certainly spurning on our own guys. While I realize one individual has little considerable impact, what if everyone has that mindset? Then we're Harvard. No thanks. I'll go on either affecting, or pretending I'm affecting the outcome. It doesn't really matter, so long as we're there.

(note: I'm not really saying one shouldn't go and take care of other commitments, just disagreeing with the line quoted above)

We're on the same page. As long as there are still plenty of other fans there to cheer, fill the seats, etc., my being there has little effect on the game. Obviously, if everyone decided to stay at home, things would be different.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login