Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

NetMinders

Posted by cZonTix 
NetMinders
Posted by: cZonTix (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: January 09, 2007 03:44PM

Shouldn't Scrivens be given more of a chance as the 1st string goalie? Seems as though he only gets a chance when Davenport gets off to a bad start. Based on stats, certainly seems like he should be given more of a chance to show his ability.

Re: NetMinders
Posted by: ftyuv (---.techtarget.com)
Date: January 09, 2007 03:48PM

Davenport, Scrivens, whatever. We need more goalies who can actually score goals.

A paragraph not nearly as high up in the story as it should have been said:
In the second, the Warriors yanked Watson during a delayed penalty but an errand pass to the point slid into the empty net, giving the Minutemen a 3-1 lead. Jon Quick was the last UMass player to touch the puck and was thus credited with the first goal of his career at 9:31.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 09, 2007 05:28PM

ftyuv
Davenport, Scrivens, whatever. We need more goalies who can actually score goals.
Some might say we need more forwards "who can actually score goals."blush

Posted by: LaJollaRed (---.san.res.rr.com)
Date: January 11, 2007 12:53PM

I agree with starting Scrivens.

The problem is, like a racehorse, goalies are very easily psyched out by many off-ice things. I worry that benching Davenport and replacing him with a freshman is going to be very difficult for him to recover from...especially because he left the team once as a result of not getting ice time.

That said, though, how much do we care about Davenport's feelings? We like to win, don't we?

We're not going to find another Mckee, but I think my comparison is still valid. I always thought of McKee as more of a Dom Hasek type goalie--beautiful, acrobatic, exciting saves. Davenport, and those who have seen him will agree, is more of a Patrick Roy - always in the right place, except when he isn't. Unfortunately he isn't much of the time.

2.48 GAA would be stellar in the WCHL...it would be amazing, but in the ECAC, where games are historically much closer and defense oriented, 2.48 is enough to sink an otherwise decent team.

However--not his fault. What I see at Lynah is not a break down of the defense, but a complete lack of offense. Scoring more goals gets him out of hot water pretty quickly.

Scrivens will get his ice time. And given what I've seen this season, he's going to be great. I don't know if we'll ever see a goalie score himself, but I'm telling you--when he stopped that penalty shot, I must have jumped into the rafters, honestly one of my favorite Lynah moments.

Davenport, Davenport...sounds like the mournful sighs of a blighted heiress (Heathcliff!)...But I trust Schafer to know what to do with him, know when to pull him, know when to slap him around, and know when to let him play.

Posted by: 2 (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 11, 2007 02:56PM

LaJollaRed
I always thought of McKee as more of a Dom Hasek type goalie--beautiful, acrobatic, exciting saves. Davenport, and those who have seen him will agree, is more of a Patrick Roy - always in the right place, except when he isn't.

For those who are a bit more experienced with living, how would one best describe Dryden?

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: January 11, 2007 04:40PM

For those who are a bit more experienced with living, how would one best describe Dryden?

A crappy little town with one nice B&B. Tip your waitress.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 11, 2007 04:53PM

LaJollaRed
I always thought of McKee as more of a Dom Hasek type goalie--beautiful, acrobatic, exciting saves. Davenport, and those who have seen him will agree, is more of a Patrick Roy - always in the right place, except when he isn't.

Very much alive!**]

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: January 11, 2007 04:59PM

LaJollaRed

Canada's greatest hope for the future!

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: ftyuv (---.techtarget.com)
Date: January 11, 2007 05:10PM

LaJollaRed

Same as a Drylivingroom, it's just a regional thing.

(Hey, if everyone else gets to make stupid jokes, I do too.)

Posted by: Beeeej (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: January 11, 2007 05:26PM

LaJollaRed

He was no Shakespeare or Donne, but I think he was largely responsible for bringing poetry into modern English. Certainly without him there's no Byron, Keats, Wordsworth, or Eliot.

(T.S., not Darren.)

</bandwagon>

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Rich S (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 11, 2007 05:51PM

LaJollaRed
I agree with starting Scrivens.

The problem is, like a racehorse, goalies are very easily psyched out by many off-ice things.

Davenport, and those who have seen him will agree, is more of a Patrick Roy - always in the right place, except when he isn't.

As a former goalie, and as a coach of quite a few since, I disagree with the "psyched out" comment. The ones who are mentally strong, and that's a pre-requisite of any good goalie, handle the off ice stuff well.

"Always in the right place" more accurately describes Brodeur than Roy. Roy was known to wander and be acrobatic as well, sometimes with disasterous results.

Brodeur is far more stable. Just ask Jeremey Roenick. :-}

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.cubley.clarkson.edu)
Date: January 11, 2007 07:09PM

Trotsky

ouch. that hurts alot. it may be small, but it's far from crappy.

and the B&B sucks

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 11, 2007 08:29PM

LaJollaRed

We're not going to find another Mckee, but I think my comparison is still valid. I always thought of McKee as more of a Dom Hasek type goalie--beautiful, acrobatic, exciting saves. Davenport, and those who have seen him will agree, is more of a Patrick Roy - always in the right place, except when he isn't. Unfortunately he isn't much of the time.

What I see at Lynah is not a break down of the defense, but a complete lack of offense. Scoring more goals gets him out of hot water pretty quickly.

McKee was brilliant as a sophomore but mediocre last season. Davenport hasn't been any worse than McKee was for stretches of last season. He certainly hasn't been great at times though. As you said, offense has been a far bigger problem. Certain guys on the team who supposed to be producing offense are getting free passes while Davenport is being called out. Again, he can be better, but a lot of the games the team has not won has been because a lack of offense.

There is this mystique around Scrivens that he is so unbelievable that I don't quite understand. He has been good but I haven't seen him do anything extraordinary and he certainly hasn't done anything to steal the starting job from Davenport.

The goaltending hasn't been great but I don't think Scrivens it he magical solution. I also think that the powerplay, penalty kill, and the scoring consistency have been bigger problems than goaltending.

Posted by: ftyuv (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 11, 2007 11:30PM

I think what people are thinking about Scrivens isn't that he's going to be our savior, but that since Davenport himself isn't a savior, why not alternate them, or at least give Scrivens a couple starts?

Posted by: Steve Rockey (---.empsl.cornell.edu)
Date: January 12, 2007 12:43PM

Goaltending techniques have changed so much since the 1960's that comparisons and even descriptions for those who did not see the old style are very difficult. Dryden played at Cornell before the butterfly was really used in college hockey but I it was starting to show up in the NHL.

Dryden was described as a "stand up" goalie as opposed to a flopper.

What most impressed me about him was unbelievable ability to make the glove save at a time when the glove was probably half the size of what is in use now. He would actually often cheat the glove post side and cover the gap with his glove and I don't recall anyone beating him on that cheat.

When he moved to the NHL he made significant technique changes seamlessly.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2007 12:44PM by Steve Rockey.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: January 12, 2007 01:36PM

Dpperk29
Trotsky

ouch. that hurts alot. it may be small, but it's far from crappy.

and the B&B sucks

I've never been to Dryden, actually. I just needed a punchline.

Posted by: jkahn (---.73.146.216.biz.sta.networkgci.net)
Date: January 12, 2007 04:51PM

Dryden had a great ability to avoid leaving rebounds in front. He would kick out his stick saves toward the boards or some safe area. And a good glove hand as well - he also played shortstop for the Cornell baseball team, so that'll give you an idea about his athleticism and agility. When the pressure was on heavily, he'd occasionally go down and double stack the pads, but aside from fending off BU in the Gahden, I don't remember this happening very often during his collegiate career.
His most frequent goaltending style in Cornell games looked just like this (except for the uniform):

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 12, 2007 06:04PM

As someone else already posted, it's hard to describe Ken in today's goaltending vernacular. This very brief video won't show you much, but it's the only one I'm aware of.

[www.legendsofhockey.net]

Posted by: Trotsky (---.ashbva.adelphia.net)
Date: January 12, 2007 07:43PM

cZonTix
Shouldn't Scrivens be given more of a chance as the 1st string goalie?

He was tonight. It lasted just under 16 minutes.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 12, 2007 11:51PM

Trotsky
cZonTix
Shouldn't Scrivens be given more of a chance as the 1st string goalie?

He was tonight. It lasted just under 16 minutes.
Yeah, I hope we can forget this nonsense now.

Posted by: LaJollaRed (---.san.res.rr.com)
Date: January 13, 2007 12:05AM

Yeah, I'm done.

I'm glad "Scrivner" got the start, but there's no offense on this team, and neither goalie deserves any blame.

Posted by: scannon (205.232.75.---)
Date: January 13, 2007 12:17AM

LaJollaRed
Yeah, I'm done.

I'm glad "Scrivner" got the start, but there's no offense on this team, and neither goalie deserves any blame.

Well, when you take arguable the most creative player, and second highest scorer, out of the team you have to expect the offense to stumble a bit.

Posted by: Tom Lento (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: January 13, 2007 02:19AM

Al DeFlorio
As someone else already posted, it's hard to describe Ken in today's goaltending vernacular. This very brief video won't show you much, but it's the only one I'm aware of.

[www.legendsofhockey.net]

I'm not sure if this has much footage of Dryden, but it might give you some idea. You can also look at other summit series games on YouTube.

In case I botched the link, this should be a 10 minute video of the final minutes of Canada's final-game victory of the Soviets.

Posted by: ftyuv (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 13, 2007 01:13PM

The "Ca na da!" cheer sounds like "townies up!" And is it just me, or do the pads make those goalkeepers look really tall when they stand up?

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 13, 2007 02:01PM

cZonTix
Shouldn't Scrivens be given more of a chance as the 1st string goalie? Seems as though he only gets a chance when Davenport gets off to a bad start. Based on stats, certainly seems like he should be given more of a chance to show his ability.

Maybe Schafer said to Scrivens, "I'm giving you three goals worth of playing time. Take it as far as you can."

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login