Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

BU players attacked

Posted by Cop at Lynah 
BU players attacked
Posted by: Cop at Lynah (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 04, 2006 05:42PM

[www.cstv.com]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2006 05:43PM by Cop at Lynah.

Re: BU players attacked
Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.cmbrmaks.akamai.com)
Date: December 04, 2006 05:56PM

From what I recall, that's kind of a sketchy area... it's very industrial and dark, so it wouldn't surprise me if this is just random crook-on-student violence. There's certainly the possibility it was some overzealous BC fans, though.

Kyle
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2006 06:10PM by krose.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 04, 2006 08:10PM

A minor downside to going to school in Boston -- rather, a major downside for a small minority of students -- is getting mugged in Boston. Wasn't there a Harvard football player killed celebrating with teammates in the combat zone during, say, the Bush (first) presidency? Not to blame the victims, but 4 am is kind of late to be out.

Posted by: mttgrmm (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 04, 2006 08:21PM

yeah you gotta figure coach is gonna have a word with them about the 4am thing...

pretty crazy though, i can't believe the girls lax player was hit in the face with a bat... unbelievable.

despite hating BU hockey, i think we can all hope for a quick recovery for all of them.

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: December 04, 2006 08:23PM

billhoward
Not to blame the victims, but 4 am is kind of late to be out.

And by saying that, you're placing some of the blame on them. I doubt it's much more likely to happen at 4 am than 2 am on a Saturday night/Sunday morning, and most students/recent grads here could tell you that Collegetown streets are packed at 2 am on a weekend.

Date: December 04, 2006 08:24PM

If there is one constant in college hockey, it's that Jackie Parker has been hyper-excited about something or other in his four decades of coahing. This one's legit.

Date: December 04, 2006 08:37PM

Liz '05
billhoward

And by saying that, you're placing some of the blame on them. I doubt it's much more likely to happen at 4 am than 2 am on a Saturday night/Sunday morning, and most students/recent grads here could tell you that Collegetown streets are packed at 2 am on a weekend.
We're talking comparative negligence here. So, yes, I'm placing some of the blame on the victims. Say 2% or 0.2%. [EDIT: That was before seeing the report from BU coach Jackie Parker via USCHO that "the motive was retaliation for a bit of an altercation that took place earlier — like 15 minutes earlier — between one of our guys and two other guys that we don't know." So maybe 20% responsbility for what happened?]

Woman in front of me got killed by a wrong-way driver on the Interstate. (Other guy's BAC 0.17%. Had Kansas' Point of No Return playing. Apt.) She didn't have a seat belt on. She was a victim, blameless legally, but if she'd buckled up, maybe Elena would be alive today, recovered from a broken nose and collarbone. Maybe her estate collected because there's no legal blame attaching (then, before seat belt laws). But still ...

You are right that 4am incidents are less likely than 2am incidents. Bad guys don't work long hours if they can avoid it. If there are cops online I think they can verify crime tapers off around 2 am on weekends.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2006 09:35PM by billhoward.

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: December 04, 2006 08:56PM

This account reads a little differently.

[www.uscho.com]

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 04, 2006 10:19PM

Liz '05
billhoward

But that's the point, crowded streets, regardless of the time are much less likely to have an incident like this. After dark, walking in small groups is more dangerous than being in a big crowd. So, yes, they do have some responsibility (a better term than blame, I think).

Posted by: WillR (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 04, 2006 11:03PM

maybe they can get some quality DA like Nifong to come up to Boston and botch the line up and prosecute some people who were up in Maine at the time of the assualt.

Seriously though, hope the BU team recovers and then is involved in some heartbreaking loss if for no other reason than Boston sports fans are the worst in the world.

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: December 05, 2006 12:07AM

Jim Hyla
Liz '05
billhoward

But that's the point, crowded streets, regardless of the time are much less likely to have an incident like this. After dark, walking in small groups is more dangerous than being in a big crowd. So, yes, they do have some responsibility (a better term than blame, I think).

Jim, I see your point. For the sake of argument, I'm going to pretend I didn't read the USCHO article that says there was a conflict between the two parties before the attack.

Gathering a huge crowd around probably isn't an option, as most people probably have gotten home and in bed at that point, but it's not like each was walking home solo - obviously a somewhat risky thing to do. I'd feel perfectly comfortable walking around with three big hockey players, and would be confident I was ensuring my safety by surrounding myself with several guys who know how to fight. A group of four is far closer to a crowd than it is to one person in terms of relative safety.

My point, ill-expressed, was that four a.m. is late, but not all that much later than when the typical bar-hopping-then-grease-eating college student makes his or her way home. Throw in an afterparty and some Red Bulls and it's four a.m. I simply think it's unfair to place blame/responsibilty on the student for the timing of the attack.

Now, if we were to discuss their alcohol consumption and how that affected the conflict the USCHO article alluded to...for THAT I will give the injured parties a good deal of the responsibility.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: December 05, 2006 01:51AM

Liz '05
My point, ill-expressed, was that four a.m. is late, but not all that much later than when the typical bar-hopping-then-grease-eating college student makes his or her way home. Throw in an afterparty and some Red Bulls and it's four a.m. I simply think it's unfair to place blame/responsibilty on the student for the timing of the attack.

Maybe not blame, but unfortunately something you have to think about when you live in a city with a crime problem. When I was at Loyola we used to get these periodic "BOLO" emails listing the students that had been mugged recently around campus. And the vast majority of them were walking home from a bar after 1am.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: bandrews37 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 05, 2006 07:02PM

WillR
Seriously though, hope the BU team recovers and then is involved in some heartbreaking loss if for no other reason than Boston sports fans are the worst in the world.
Wow, could you be more of an asshole?

Posted by: ftyuv (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 05, 2006 07:16PM

bandrews37
WillR
Wow, could you be more of an asshole?

Only if he were one of us Boston sports fans. :-D

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 05, 2006 11:05PM

jtwcornell91
Liz '05

Maybe not blame, but unfortunately something you have to think about when you live in a city with a crime problem. When I was at Loyola we used to get these periodic "BOLO" emails listing the students that had been mugged recently around campus. And the vast majority of them were walking home from a bar after 1am.
That's why I thought that responsibility was a better word than blame.

Posted by: ninian '72 (---.ed.gov)
Date: December 06, 2006 01:28PM

billhoward
Liz '05
billhoward

You are right that 4am incidents are less likely than 2am incidents. Bad guys don't work long hours if they can avoid it. If there are cops online I think they can verify crime tapers off around 2 am on weekends.

Here you are, Bill:

[www.ojp.usdoj.gov]

Not quite the same time intervals you mention, but this is as close as we're going to get from a representative data source. One thing to remember, though: It doesn't mean that kids roaming the streets are necessarily safer after midnight, since there are likely to be fewer of them than before midnight, increasing the likelihood that they'll be potential targets.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login