Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell Feed Screw-up

Posted by Greg Berge 
Cornell Feed Screw-up
Posted by: Greg Berge (---)
Date: November 23, 2002 07:00PM

Well, it's game time and the Cornell-Brown feed is still not up on the official source at: [cornellbigred.fansonly.com]

Considering I am paying for the feed, that means that I am now going to seek and get a refund for the missing feed. This sure is a wonderful service I've contracted for.

In the meantime, will someone please tap Laurie or whoever is responislbe on the shoulder and get the feed up and running? Thank you.

Re: Cornell Feed Screw-up
Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---)
Date: November 23, 2002 07:04PM

You're kidding me. Brown seems not to have sent a radio team at all. If you get the CornellPa$$ feed to work, please join us on the chat and fill us in; you won't be in spoiler danger. :-/

Date: November 23, 2002 07:05PM

No, I'm not kidding. The feed is running but with zero audio. Just a nice, post-holocaust silence...

Now, I am assuming there actually is signal coming out of Ithaca. rolleyes

Posted by: FRED'83 (---)
Date: November 23, 2002 07:10PM

Is anyone in ithaca listening on the radio? Please update here. No internet feeds working.

Date: November 23, 2002 07:10PM

Anybody have Laurie's or Andy's or even Adam's email?

Posted by: cmoberg (---)
Date: November 23, 2002 07:11PM

No audio at this end either, but livestats is working

Posted by: Tom Hamill '85 (---)
Date: November 23, 2002 07:11PM

Yep, I'm one pissed-off Faithful out here in Colorado, too. Pay the money and we damn well better get the service.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---)
Date: November 23, 2002 07:12PM

According to the livestats, we have four shots and they have none. How's that for an update?rolleyes

So far neither Cook nor Bell are on the player list.

Date: November 23, 2002 07:12PM

cayuga:/home/whelan> finger stange@cornell.edu
[cornell.edu]
Information from Cornell's Network Identity Directory...
--------------------------------------------------------

Your query returned   2 matches:

Name:           Laura Stange                       Nickname:
Send Email To:  lls15@cornell.edu
Campus Phone:   607-255-5627
Campus Address: Teagle Hall
Local Phone:
Local Address:
Project:

Date: November 23, 2002 07:15PM

13 forwards listed with Varteressian and Chris Abbott in and Iggulden out.

Date: November 23, 2002 07:16PM

Thanks, I emailed Laura and would enocurage others to do the same (might as well show we care).

I think I heard something about 2 mins ago but so far still zippo. I've started an actual update thread as well.

Posted by: pfibiger (---)
Date: November 23, 2002 07:17PM

I'll just chime in and say that CornellPass isn't working for me either.

Posted by: Tom Hamill '85 (---)
Date: November 23, 2002 07:17PM

lls15@cornell.edu is Laura Stange's address, in the Athletic Office. Here's the e-mail I just sent her.

Laura,

I'm a paying subscriber to get the internet feed for Cornell Hockey games. When things go wrong and I don't pay, I'm inclined to forgive and forget. When I pay, I hope you understand that I am disappointed, for I am not getting the very service that I paid for. I hope you will (1) do your very
best to make sure that the technical difficulties that existed during the Brown game don't happen again, and (2) consider either giving us a refund or extending our service free for another month.

Thank you,

Tom Hamill

Posted by: gwm3 (---)
Date: November 23, 2002 07:19PM

After my two-week free trial there was no way I was going to pay for CornellPass. The audio was marginal at best. It was choppy and often cut out... certainly no better than what we used to get for free.

I will miss being able to listen to the home team feed (and I was very pleased with Adam's call of the game), but there is no way I will pay for it... especially after hearing about this snafu.

Date: November 23, 2002 07:22PM

I agree, We have had problems before, but it was free and cmon, what are you going to say? But when it's a pay service, and when it imposes all sorts of annoying and dumb restrictions like the ones Age has been facing, then they either have to deliver or admit they made a dumb decision.

Posted by: FRED'83 (---)
Date: November 23, 2002 07:25PM

Listening to harvard-gate, 4 min. in, har. has 10 shots. Maybe they'll give score. Sure glad i didn't PAY!

Date: November 23, 2002 07:45PM

The audio feed is up. But the modulation is TERRIBLE

Date: November 23, 2002 07:47PM

Must... turn... down... the... gain...! uhoh uhoh uhoh help uhoh

Date: November 23, 2002 07:51PM

It's AW's mic. The ambient sound of the rink is fine.

Date: November 23, 2002 07:52PM

You think ;-) Seriously, no amount of adjusting gain on either sound card or speakers makes is clean.

Chris

Date: November 23, 2002 07:53PM

They just fixed it. Clean now

Posted by: bigred apple (---)
Date: November 23, 2002 07:58PM

1. where is the chat?
2. why is brown radio playing regular news!

Chat address
Date: November 23, 2002 08:00PM

irc://irc.warped.net/lynah

Date: November 23, 2002 08:12PM

I haven't been able to use that chat for weeks. I don't know why.

Also, GOOOOOL! McRae.

Date: November 23, 2002 08:16PM

Mark McRae! 3-0!!!

Date: November 23, 2002 08:23PM

4-0 Vesce!

Posted by: pfibiger (---)
Date: November 23, 2002 09:07PM

I waited on the phone for about half of the first period, trying to talk to someone in tech support. I guess I'm lucky that it just came back, and I was able to hang up. I'm pretty pissed that I'm paying for this service, and they don't even have a toll-free tech support number.

Date: November 23, 2002 09:20PM

5-0 final, and it ended ugly.

Posted by: profudge (---)
Date: November 23, 2002 11:16PM

For comments on ugly end and Cook and Bell's being absent see the Cornell-Brown thread.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---)
Date: November 23, 2002 11:34PM

Don't expect to hear anything. I still haven't heard fron the AD's office about my email. I guess they don't care about my donations or my listening to broadcasts. I'm disgusted.

Posted by: RedAR (---)
Date: November 24, 2002 01:34AM

The real pisser to this entire situation is that there is really nothing that the AD can do. The technical difficulty was probably Real Network's problem, and the AD has no authority to extend you contract.

Furthermore, the user agreement that you agree to by using the service states that your only recourse is to cancel your service, without any refund of the fees you have already paid. A snip from the user agreement:

"UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WILL RN BE LIABLE IN ANY WAY FOR ANY CONTENT THAT YOU HAVE ACCESS TO DURING YOUR SUBSCRIPTION PERIOD, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, ANY ERRORS OR OMISSIONS IN ANY CONTENT, QUALITY OF THE CONTENT, AVAILABILITY OF THE CONTENT, THE SUBJECT MATTER OF THE CONTENT, OR FOR ANY LOSS OR DAMAGE OF ANY KIND INCURRED AS A RESULT OF THE USE OF ANY CONTENT PROVIDED AS PART OF THE SERVICE.

2. YOUR RIGHT TO CANCEL REALONE SERVICES
You may cancel the RealOne Services at any time. You will not receive any refund or partial refund for any charges already billed to your account. In the event you signed up for a minimum commitment period, you will be responsible for all charges for the entire minimum commitment period... You understand and agree that cancellation of your subscription is your sole right and remedy with respect to any dispute with RN. This includes, but is not limited to, any dispute related to, or arising out of: (1) any term of this Agreement or RN's enforcement or application of this Agreement; (2) any policy or practice of RN, including any RN Privacy Policy, or RN's enforcement or application of these policies; (3) the Content available through RN or the Internet or any change in Content provided through RN; (4) your ability to access and/or use the Content; (5) any RealNetworks Software or Content provided by or through RealNetworks; or (6) the amount or type of fees, applicable taxes, billing methods, or any change to the fees, applicable taxes, or billing methods."

Bottom line is that while some of us may have felt that with paid service, we had MORE rights, we actually agreed to relinquishing all our rights when we signed up.

So, with the AD's move to the CornellPass, we have:
1) inferior content (no video)
2) inferior quality of available content (sound quality)
3) inferior reliability of content

In previous years, if we didn't like the service provided, we could just stop listening with no financial penalties. Now, there is a financial penalty in the form of the prepaid service charge.

Anyone from the AD care to comment on what the improvements are?

Sorry for the long post.

Date: November 24, 2002 02:35AM

Shrug. If RN is not providing their advertised service then the subscribers are entitled to recompense. After all, if RN wrote into their contract "You will also forfeit your first born to us," and we signed it, it still would not be binding. Companies make absurd statements in fine print all the time that are unenforceable or even directly contrary to legal practice. I'm not impressed.

Date: November 24, 2002 04:15AM

Not as easy as you think, Greg. "Give me your first born" is not the same thing as "we give no warranties as to quality." You can waive a lot in contracts, including the right to a refund. They don't care when you say that "the only reason I bought this was for Cornell games". There was probably a lot of available content that you purchased but didn't use.

The only thing you have going for you is the possibility that you can nag them enough to give you your money back - but that is the kind of courtesy big companies give to get rid of squeaky wheels, not a concession that they would not win in court. Ever seen the sign "no refunds or exchanges" in a retail store? That's enforcable also.

Posted by: marty (---)
Date: November 24, 2002 04:31AM

Thanks for the long post. You are correct about the AD not being in a position to take any monetary action. It clears the air a bit and hopefully will get this thread moving in a positive direction.

If we are going to make any headway with the AD we shouldn't ask for the impossible. My hope is that things will change when whatever contract Cornell has with Real Networks expires.

For now we can ask the AD's office to contact the folks who run the feeds to lessen the chance of further screw ups. That is the two of "us" who paid for the service can make such a contact.

Date: November 24, 2002 05:01AM

All good points, b.r.a.

I think the main points are:

(1) This is a problem with RN, not with Cornell athletics (other than the original decision to use RN, which is now spilled milk).

(2) We need the correct tech support contact info so that if/when this happens again we can bug the right people. I hope nobody gave Laura and those folks anything other than a heads-up that there was a problem, since she is only trying to help.

(3) RN may well be contractually unassailable, but as a service provider they can't want their customers loudly grousing that they suck, with the stories and data to back it up. Personally I don't care about the money -- once you've flown cross-country to watch hockey the nickle and dime stuff doesn't phase you. I just want dependability from a service that I had no use in being privatized.

(4) Who cares? 4 point weekend! :-D

Date: November 24, 2002 08:54AM

Greg wrote:

(1) This is a problem with RN, not with Cornell athletics (other than the original decision to use RN, which is now spilled milk).

(2) We need the correct tech support contact info so that if/when this happens again we can bug the right people. I hope nobody gave Laura and those folks anything other than a heads-up that there was a problem, since she is only trying to help.
I think it is appropriate to make the Athletic Department aware every time one of these problems comes up, since I have yet to hear them admit that they cocked things up royally by signing up with RealNetworks.

Also, I have yet to see anything that says how long Cornell is committed to RealNetworks. Remember how we all thought the ECAC had a multi-year deal with Lake Placid?

Posted by: redice (---)
Date: November 24, 2002 10:01AM

I'm sorry to hear all of the difficulties that you've been having. I think you can now understand why I was unwilling to give these a**holes (RN) my credit card info. In October, I asked RN enough questions to determine that they were all about getting my money and NOT necessarily assuring that I receive the product that I paid for. Now, I fully understand RN wanting to get their payments out of my credit card account. It guarantees that they get my money. If they actually sent me a bill and I had to send them a check, I might withhold payment when they didn't provide the goods. They wouldn't want that now, would they?

Posted by: Ken71 (---)
Date: November 24, 2002 10:03AM

From my warped point of view (as an Ithaca local who doesn't HAVE to have the "service" to hear Adam's broadcasts of games), the problem isn't limited just to those who signed up with CP/RN and the rights they lost when they did so. To me, the issue is the excellent service and fast response we ALL lost when the AD signed up with CP/RN in the first place.

When there were problems with the old systems, Mark and Age were easily found and fast to react. With some initial financial boost from the "official" group of boosters and further support from a considerable number of other boosters, Cornell Hockey fans raised the bar on services available (audio AND video) and on continuing improvements. We ALL were snubbed and denied the benefits of efforts of which we were justly proud, when the AD decided to grab the (highly tarnished) "gold" and dishonor years of efforts and accomplishments. Mark, Age and their supporters invested their time, talents, and money to serve the interests of Cornell Hockey and fans. Then AD fell for a sales pitch, signed away our ability to enjoy the technology we had in place, and screwed us ALL in the process.

I remember the bumper sticker in the movie, "The President's Analyst" -
We don't care. We don't have to.
We're the Phone Company.

I would expect that attitude from RN. I didn't expect it from the AD.

Ken '71

Posted by: RedAR (---)
Date: November 24, 2002 11:21AM

Seems to me that one of the reasons that the AD switched to RN was so that they would not have to address any of the problems and glitches that are inevitably associated with the technology. In other words, they wanted to make their lives easier at the expense of the experience/convenience of those who used the service.

Despite the fact that the AD can't really do anything when things go wrong, I think we should continue to fill their in-boxes, voice-mail, etc. whenever things go wrong. Then at least they can't sit on their asses ignorant of the crap they've forced us into.

Also, keeping a running log of the problems that occur may come in handy in the future.

Just my 2 cents.

Date: November 24, 2002 12:27PM

> We don't care. We don't have to.
> We're the Phone Company.

James Coburn rocks.

Date: November 24, 2002 01:02PM

Greg wrote:

(4) Who cares? 4 point weekend! :-D

As always, you cut to the core, and focus on the important issues.

I think everyone knows who the top backstop in the ECAC is now. Yann who?

Date: November 24, 2002 02:06PM

I understand as subscribers to RN we may have no recourse for poor quality, however the AD must have a contract with them too. I would think there would be a performance clause or two in that contract. So there is merit in writing to the AD and letting them know how poor the service was on Saturday night.

It is also suprising to me that there is no active monitoring at the broadcast head end. As far as I can tell, the feed was dead. Such silence is easy for man or machine to discern.

Chris

Posted by: mha (---)
Date: November 24, 2002 02:37PM

It's too late for last night, but if this ever happens again while I'm at Lynah and therefore in shoulder-tapping range, feel free to try calling my cell phone [contact info deleted].

If Laura knows there's a problem, there are people she can contact to let them know.

Meantime, no matter what you may think about Laura, Andy, or other involved folks personally, or no matter what you think they think of you, please remember to be civil. Abusive e-mails and phone messages won't help the situation, and they certainly won't inspire anyone to do you, or us, any favors.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2008 05:02PM by mha.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---)
Date: November 24, 2002 03:23PM

Unfortunately they don't respond to civil discussion either. I wrote them weeks ago, registering my displeasure about the situation. I cc'd the hockey office and heard back from coach Schafer, but he has no control, and I have yet to hear from the AD's office.

That's the point, they act like they don't care. Now maybe they do care, but we have no indication that they do. So what are we to do. I've already said I won't contribute and can't wait till I get a solicitation phone call.

Date: November 24, 2002 04:46PM

Took nearly six weeks to get a nothing response from Brenner to my email to Noel. Bush league for sure. worry

Posted by: The Turkeybone (---)
Date: November 25, 2002 02:09AM

On a non-related note, I was at Tops today and saw Andy Noel on the cell phone describing his jones'in for swiss cheese. No really. nut

Posted by: LynahFan (---)
Date: November 26, 2002 12:45PM

On the other side of this coin, I sent my letter to Noel on a Friday evening and received a responce from Brenner on either Saturday or Sunday. The response was detailed and responded directly to my points - not a form letter at all. However, it was still a nothing letter.

Robb

Posted by: curoadkill (---)
Date: November 26, 2002 12:56PM

Just a pleasant reminder that when solicited to give to athletics, you can specify to donate directly to the Pep Band. Though athletics won't show us a dime, you can. B-]

Posted by: Beeeej (---)
Date: November 26, 2002 06:22PM

Why would we want to do that? The Pep Band doesn't listen to our feedback, either. rolleyes

Beeeej

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login