Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

dressing 3 goalies

Posted by Ronald '09 
dressing 3 goalies
Posted by: Ronald '09 (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: December 02, 2006 12:27AM

I've been struggling with why we have Dan DiLeo dressing for games for some time, and over the past couple of weeks, it has really started to bother me. To say nothing of how it actually impacts the game it looks stupid. But also, it prevents us from dressing one more skater. That hurt us in the loss to Wayne State, and I certainly would not have minded another skater dressed tonight.

Anyone have any explanation for why we dress three goalies? I'll be honest that I haven't read every post in every game thread and postgame thread so this could have been addressed.

But I cannot see any explanation that would satisfy me.

Re: dressing 3 goalies
Posted by: redhair34 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: December 02, 2006 12:30AM

Ronald '09
But also, it prevents us from dressing one more skater.

No, it doesn't.

Posted by: reilly83 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 02, 2006 12:40AM

Dressing three goalies does not prevent a team from having an extra player. A team consists of 18 players PLUS not less than two or more than three goalies. (21 players plus not more than three goalies in exhibition games.)

Posted by: Ronald '09 (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: December 02, 2006 12:41AM

Okay, I didn't know that. But that begs a bigger question, why wouldn't every team dress three goalies?

Posted by: Jacob 03 (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 02, 2006 12:42AM

What they said is illuminated in the rulebook (PDF, Rule 2: Page HR-23).

As for your perception that it "looks stupid," I'm pretty sure that's far down the list of reasons Cornell lost to Wayne State. A quick elynah search does reveal that this was never explained in any game thread, so no worries there. Both the rulebook and the number of players allowed to dress have been mentioned repeatedly, though.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: December 02, 2006 12:43AM

Ronald '09
Okay, I didn't know that. But that begs a bigger question, why wouldn't every team dress three goalies?

Sometimes it's not deemed worth it to bring a third goalie on the road. Sometimes the team's third goalie is injured or otherwise unavailable.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 02, 2006 12:46AM

[Q]Rule 2 - Teams

Players in Uniform
SECTION 3. a. At the beginning of each game, the coach of each team
shall list the players and goalkeepers who shall be eligible to play in the
game. A maximum of 18 players, plus not more than three nor less than
two goalkeepers, shall be permitted; and a captain shall be designated.
In exhibition games, 21 skaters and as many as three goalkeepers are
allowed.[/Q]

Edit: sorry to those who already pointed this out...I didn't read far enough before replying.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2006 12:47AM by RichH.

Posted by: Jacob 03 (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 02, 2006 12:48AM

Will
Ronald '09

Sometimes it's not deemed worth it to bring a third goalie on the road. Sometimes the team's third goalie is injured or otherwise unavailable.
Like the team's third goalie being ineligible due to recent transfer-status? That's about as likely as one of the team's goalies bolting over winter break.

Posted by: ACM (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 02, 2006 09:47AM

Will
Ronald '09

And sometimes there isn't a third goalie. Like last season. Or the season before, after Davenport left.

Posted by: las224 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 02, 2006 10:19AM

In reply to [elf.elynah.com]

ACM
And sometimes there isn't a third goalie. Like last season. Or the season before, after Davenport left.

Last season we had McKee, Chabot, Dileo. That's three, and yet I feel like Dileo rarely dressed. I realize it wasn't as necessary because Dave was great, but if it's allowed and doesn't affect the number of regular players you can dress, why not dress him just in case?

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: December 02, 2006 10:26AM

las224
In reply to [elf.elynah.com]

ACM

Last season we had McKee, Chabot, Dileo. That's three, and yet I feel like Dileo rarely dressed. I realize it wasn't as necessary because Dave was great, but if it's allowed and doesn't affect the number of regular players you can dress, why not dress him just in case?

As I recall, DiLeo dressed for all of one game last season (and obviously got no playing time), when Chabot was ill. I think DiLeo was injured for at least part of the season. (Either that or Scafer didn't trust him in net to the point where he didn't dress him if he didn't have to.)

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: December 02, 2006 01:44PM

If DiLeo is working hard in practice why not allow him to dress for home games? He may well never see the ice for Cornell in a real game but at least he'll be able to experience putting on the sweater and skating out in front of the Lynah fans.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 02, 2006 02:13PM

For away games, it's probably a cost issue and the lost day of class against the very slim chance he'd get in the game. For home games, maybe it's the coach's way of saying he's been doing a fair job in practice, so why not give him the benefit of being in uniform for the game.

Also: Does anyone recall a game when three Cornell goalies played except maybe to give a senior some ice time in March?

I don't know if Cornell takes an extra (19th) skater along in case of someone getting hurt the first night, or suspended, or playing so poorly he shouldn't suit up Saturday.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 02, 2006 02:18PM

billhoward
I don't know if Cornell takes an extra (19th) skater along in case of someone getting hurt the first night, or suspended, or playing so poorly he shouldn't suit up Saturday.
They do. I'd guess two or three.

McLeod was standing in the lobby at Quinnipiac giving away tickets (which would have gone to you, Bill, if you hadn't been so quick to buy three!) and I think there were two others there (Milo must have been one as he had played at Princeton).

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.caltech.edu)
Date: December 02, 2006 02:57PM

Dileo was in fact hurt for the majority of last season, and thats why he didn't dress regularly.

Posted by: BMac (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: December 02, 2006 05:24PM

We thought that they dressed DiLeo because Davenport's been shaky (ignoring the shutout) and if they put Scrivens in early and he gets shelled, we wouldn't want to put a pulled goalie back in. Kind of convoluted, but Schafer is Schafer.

In any case, I think the "he works hard in practice" theory is pretty good.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 02, 2006 06:31PM

I don't know about Cornell, but RPI dresses three goalies for home games but only two for road games. The reason for this is that there is a limit on how many players can go on a road trip, and RPI as well as many other teams feels that it is more important to take along an additional skater than a third goalie. I don't recall the exact limit, and I don't know if it is an NCAA limit or an ECAC limit. It's about 23 players. I think that this is supposed to cut down expenses for hotel rooms and food.

Date: December 02, 2006 06:45PM

I think the real question is: Why wouldn't you dress a third goalie for home games? What's the downside? Give the kid a chance to suit up and get out on the ice in front of the crowd. Costs nothing and is good for the kid's morale.

Posted by: MRN one (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: December 02, 2006 08:44PM

Maybe two goalies and the extra bench space for cleaner line changes is more valuable than a third goalie you don't plan to play.

Date: December 02, 2006 08:46PM

MRN one
Maybe two goalies and the extra bench space for cleaner line changes is more valuable than a third goalie you don't plan to play.
Right. That must be it.rolleyes

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: December 02, 2006 09:51PM

Al DeFlorio
MRN one

I don't think it's THAT far fetched. Of course with the tunnell behind the bench now, there's plenty of space to hang out.

Posted by: Beeeej (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: December 02, 2006 10:08PM

Chris '03
Al DeFlorio
MRN one

I don't think it's THAT far fetched.

It certainly didn't deserve that level of sarcasm.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: December 02, 2006 10:22PM

Beeeej
Chris '03
Al DeFlorio
MRN one

Sorry, but it really did.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.ashbva.adelphia.net)
Date: December 02, 2006 10:33PM

Al DeFlorio
I think the real question is: Why wouldn't you dress a third goalie for home games? What's the downside? Give the kid a chance to suit up and get out on the ice in front of the crowd. Costs nothing and is good for the kid's morale.

And when Scrivens got run tonight and was down for a moment, and again when he went out beyond the circle to try for his Say Hey basket catch, we all saw how close we came to actually having to have the #3 enter the game.

Posted by: ebilmes (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: December 02, 2006 10:36PM

Trotsky
Al DeFlorio

And when Scrivens got run tonight and was down for a moment, and again when he went out beyond the circle to try for his Say Hey basket catch, we all saw how close we came to actually having to have the #3 enter the game.

Was Davenport physically unable to play tonight? He did suit up...

Posted by: Trotsky (---.ashbva.adelphia.net)
Date: December 02, 2006 10:43PM

ebilmes
Was Davenport physically unable to play tonight? He did suit up...

He might have been able, but if Scrivens was hurt late in a 5-0 game, Mike might have elected to put in a healthy #3 rather than risk a #1 coming back from injury.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 03, 2006 09:44PM

Al DeFlorio
Beeeej
Chris '03
Al DeFlorio
MRN one

Eh. I thought about that also. I suspect that you are right, Al, but I don't think MRN one is out of line.

Mostly I just like seeing deep-nested responses.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 03, 2006 09:44PM

Ronald '09
Satisfied?

Posted by: LaJollaRed (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 04, 2006 05:00AM

Davenport's been spotty.

In case of emergency, say, if he lets in three in the first period, we pull him, we'd still have a "back up" in DiLeo.

Also, who gives a flying Harvard why...

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: December 04, 2006 10:04AM

ugarte
Al DeFlorio
Beeeej
Chris '03
Al DeFlorio
MRN one

Eh. I thought about that also. I suspect that you are right, Al, but I don't think MRN one is out of line.

Mostly I just like seeing deep-nested responses.

Jerk.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: December 04, 2006 06:12PM

ugarte
Ronald '09
Satisfied?

"Snickers satisfies you!"

[www.snickerssatisfies.com]

But as Jim Hyla knows all too well, they have been pulled from the Lynah faithful.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 04, 2006 06:27PM

Schafer pretty regularly takes one extra forward and one extra defenseman on the road and that's it. For tournaments and the playoffs, all players go.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login